Number of story views

last reply
4 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am a new writer. What is a typical number of views for a story?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
depends on a lot of things. the catagory. if it's a new writer or a well established one. things like that. a good way to get more views is to become visible. that means posting in the forums, using the chat rooms, making friends and connections, and, of course, writing a kick ass story in the first place. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by WomanOfDesire
I am a new writer. What is a typical number of views for a story?

Like Sprite said, it varies widely.

I've had anywhere from a few hundreds to tens of thousands.
0 likes
Quote by sprite
depends on a lot of things. the catagory. if it's a new writer or a well established one. things like that. a good way to get more views is to become visible. that means posting in the forums, using the chat rooms, making friends and connections, and, of course, writing a kick ass story in the first place. smile

What she said.

I have stories from early in my Lush days (I've been here since 2013) that are still below 10,000 and I have more recent ones at famous level (>30,000) so there is clearly a lot involved in getting readers to look at your work.

Promotion through various means (your blog, your forum sig, the Self-Promotion forum, Twitter or other social media if you are okay with people on them knowing you're here) helps. I find that if I put in some effort to promo a story I haven't promo'd in a while, I do get a boost on it, though factors like category still come into play even then.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
I've been publishing 1 to 2 stories per month for the past year.

My least read story has 1,789 views. My most read story has 37,578 views. My favourite story, though, has only 3,974 views.

I write for my own enjoyment, primarily. Whatever view or vote count comes from that isn't really important to me (I do like receiving comments, though).

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.