Rejection vs Approval

last reply
25 replies
2.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If you submit a story that you believe to be technically competent, but is rejected by a moderator, do you bother to re-write it or just get on with the next one?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by candytales
If you submit a story that you believe to be technically competent, but is rejected by a moderator, do you bother to re-write it or just get on with the next one?

Its has taken me long-while to get over my pouting. I'm just coming to terms and realizing that the mods, do try to help me.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by candytales

Lush is currently the only site I submit erotica on. Therefore, I re-write my story when it is rejected.

The moderator who sends the story back has always given me the reasons why it was rejected so that I can fix it. "Technically competent" does not always mean that a story is up to publishing standard. In the same way, "technically INcompetent" can stop a good story being read.

Depending on the reasons for rejection (subjects in breach of Lush Terms and Conditions, for instance, or lack of a coherent storyline), a story can nearly always be brought up to standard, should the writer feel strongly enough about that piece of work. Help is available through forum resources and even individuals where it is needed and sought out.

Somebody with passion and determination can plough through (with or without help), and meet the requirements based on the rejection, if they care enough about that particular piece. If not, the rejection reasons can still be a stepping stone to making the next piece better. Even the greatest writers don't always share every piece they write.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Shylass

Lush is currently the only site I submit erotica on. Therefore, I re-write my story when it is rejected.

The moderator who sends the story back has always given me the reasons why it was rejected so that I can fix it. "Technically competent" does not always mean that a story is up to publishing standard. In the same way, "technically INcompetent" can stop a good story being read.

Depending on the reasons for rejection (subjects in breach of Lush Terms and Conditions, for instance, or lack of a coherent storyline), a story can nearly always be brought up to standard, should the writer feel strongly enough about that piece of work. Help is available through forum resources and even individuals where it is needed and sought out.

Somebody with passion and determination can plough through (with or without help), and meet the requirements based on the rejection, if they care enough about that particular piece. If not, the rejection reasons can still be a stepping stone to making the next piece better. Even the greatest writers don't always share every piece they write.

Well said.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I always rewrite.

"Run-on sentences" was usually the reason for my rejections. I fixed them and restrained myself in future stories. It made me a better, less self-indulgent writer.

They know what they're doing. Trust their advice.
Charming as fuck
0 likes
Please rewrite, lol!!

I hate having to reject a story. Trust me, we don't get any pleasure out of it. Sometimes, I just correct things, but if it's a common error, my teacher mother's advice always echoes in my ear and I'll send it back with notes.

If you don't agree with something, just let the returning mod know. They should be happy to chat it through. If it's just that you can't be bothered re-writing, just take a break from it and go back to it when you can. You wrote the story for a reason. It'd be a shame to not let people read it.

If anyone ever wants to chat anything through before submission, or post-rejection, my door is always open. Always happy to look over stuff or give advice.
0 likes
The moderators work as volunteers and if one listens to their advice (whether we like it or not) they are trying to teach us something. Remember, they would not be mod's if they didn't have the know how, and high quality of standards. Along with keeping us in line with the TOS, they must READ every single story submitted to them. Can you imagine the dedication that must take? I try to take their advice like a master class of sorts. (not that I've always been respectful, and for that I am sorry....)
Take what they're telling you and learn from it. I use Grammarly, but even that isn't perfect. It takes time to learn your craft. It's incredible (myself included) how many people are 'sure' they can write, just to come here and realize they have a lot to learn.
So, REWRITE that story. Pain over EVERY SINGEL WORD. Use a thesaurus. Structure your sentences so that they don't sound like 'see spot run', 'see Jane take spot on a walk', etc. You'll find that moving a simple comma can prompt you to completely restructure the sentence.
As a very wise Mod told me, use the least amount of words to say the same thing.
Example;
Jane got in her car to go downtown.
Jane went downtown.

If it's not important and can be assumed don't add it, unless it's necessary for the flow of the sentence. Stay on topic, such as talking about Janes car and how fast it can go, or other information that is unimportant to the story, don't use it. As Milik says "Don't talk about the Presidents dog, talk about the President.'

I hope that this fairly new writer could help. I am still learning from them so pay attention and you will too.

Good luck!

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

Sophisticate
0 likes
Moderators take no pleasure in sending stories back, but their mandate is for posted stories to be literate. I did the job for more than two years and got push back from writers whose stories were filled with spelling mistakes because they had relied on some spell checking software. They allow mistakes that are words. Learn the difference between there, their, and they're. That is just an example of the kind of error I mean. The other recurring mistake was the use of apostrophes. They signify either a contraction or possession, not a plural (unless added to a plural to make it possessive). There are many grammar rules that have not been learned or have been forgotten by writers, and it is necessary to persevere. Textspeak has undermined literate English and is not acceptable outside that context.

Make use of the writer's resources on the site and those recommended by other writers. Your stories will get better with the amount of work you invest and you will be less likely to receive a rejection note. It will be easier as time goes on, I promise.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by principessa
Moderators take no pleasure in sending stories back, but their mandate is for posted stories to be literate. I did the job for more than two years and got push back from writers whose stories were filled with spelling mistakes because they had relied on some spelling checking software. They allow mistakes that are words. Learn the difference between there, their, and they're. That is just an example of the kind of error I mean. The other recurring mistake was the use of apostrophes. They signify either a contraction or possession, not a plural (unless added to a plural to make it possessive). There are many grammar rules that have not been learned or have been forgotten by writers, and it is necessary to persevere. Textspeak has undermined literate English and is not acceptable outside that context.

Make use of the writer's resources on the site and those recommended by other writers. Your stories will get better with the amount of work you invest and you will be less likely to receive a rejection note. It will be easier as time goes on, I promise.

It took me a long time to figure that out. You are SO correct.
0 likes
Quote by principessa
Moderators take no pleasure in sending stories back, but their mandate is for posted stories to be literate. I did the job for more than two years and got push back from writers whose stories were filled with spelling mistakes because they had relied on some spelling checking software. They allow mistakes that are words. Learn the difference between there, their, and they're. That is just an example of the kind of error I mean. The other recurring mistake was the use of apostrophes. They signify either a contraction or possession, not a plural (unless added to a plural to make it possessive). There are many grammar rules that have not been learned or have been forgotten by writers, and it is necessary to persevere. Textspeak has undermined literate English and is not acceptable outside that context.

I just rewrote a story and counted on Grammarly. Perfect example. It actually INCREASED the errors. I have a LOT to learn about sentence structuring and punctuation. But, with every rejection or absence of what WE think should be an RR, can teach us something if we don't take it personally. 'Oh well, live and learn.

I have three famous stories, 2 recommended reads and have come in the top ten in two competitions~ Come in and make yourself at home.

Sophisticate
0 likes
Quote by Simmerdownchick

I just rewrote a story and counted on Grammarly. Perfect example. It actually INCREASED the errors. I have a LOT to learn about sentence structuring and punctuation. But, with every rejection or absence of what WE think should be an RR, can teach us something if we don't take it personally. 'Oh well, live and learn.

There is nothing wrong in using a spelling or grammar check, but it should only be used as a pass over your work rather than being solely relied on. Nothing will substitute for a thorough proofread, probably more than once. I always leave my work alone for a while to gain enough perspective to see mistakes. Grammar and punctuation rules can be difficult to take on board in large bites. Keep a good reference available as you check your work. After a time it will all click. There is no shame in spending time correcting and polishing your work. I sometimes agonize over finding just the right word to express what I want to say. All of this adds up to raise the quality of your writing and make it more likely to be posted without being returned for editing and changes.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by principessa

There is nothing wrong in using a spelling or grammar check, but it should only be used as a pass over your work rather than being solely relied on. Nothing will substitute for a thorough proofread, probably more than once. I always leave my work alone for a while to gain enough perspective to see mistakes. Grammar and punctuation rules can be difficult to take on board in large bites. Keep a good reference available as you check your work. After a time it will all click. There is no shame in spending time correcting and polishing your work. I sometimes agonize over finding just the right word to express what I want to say. All of this adds up to raise the quality of your writing and make it more likely to be posted without being returned for editing and changes.

I have come to realize, that the best advise comes from a Mod. I am the world's worst at punctuation. The more one writes the better one gets.
Lurker
0 likes
ALWAYS LISTEN TO THE MODERATORS' ADVICE!

As many have said, the Mods are volunteers. They are fucking fantastic volunteers. Please remember that.

No one is trying to block anyone's stories or poems. However, the Mods do have a responsibility to LUSH.
There are legal and admin reasons for certain decisions. Once you understand them, it's easy get published here.

Punctuation, grammar, spelling, tenses, et al are key components to writing. However, we all make mistakes.
If you want to write, please, please do! Plus, ask for help if you need it. Mods will certainly tell you if you do.

EMBRACE THEIR SAGE ADVICE.

Out of the almost 70 stories and poems I've written, only one was flat out rejected.
It read more like a stand-up comedy routine than a story. As a result, I'll be incorporating that text
into another story. Easy-peasy fix. In retrospect, the Mod has probably made that pending story better.

Once in a while a story gets rejected. The Mods will tell you why. Fix it and re-submit. It happens to all of us.

Think of our Mods as our editors. They have responsibilities, but they too want good stuff published.

0 likes
I have taken a break from writing as I have just gotten over the whole rejection thing. Not a fault of any person in particular but I have proofread alot of my work as well as given it to other people to proofread one of them being a mod. The other a co-worker who does the internal newsletters for the company I work for. But it still got rejected like I said I do not blame anyone but myself. I am sure my interest in writing will return but for the most part, I am kind of over it.

As for the question at hand. If you are totally into what you are always writing, give it another shot. There are some excellent mods on here that will help you out, and not just post links to things you have read over and over. Usually, I have found, if you message the mod that has approved one of your stories in the past, they will be more helpful, some mods get used to a person style of writing and can help point that person in the right direction.

GOOD LUCK!!!!
Lurker
0 likes
I have made a complete jackass of myself at times and paid the price with my on humility. Never blame a Mod for one's writing. They are on the receiving end. MOST mods will assist you if you ask.
Lurker
0 likes
To me it is like editing your own work. Sometimes we just don't see it from some one else's view point. With that in mind, I never complain about any story rejections We should be all learning from everything we do, and improving daily. That's part of life! I welcome feedback and edits.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Cyndy
To me it is like editing your own work. Sometimes we just don't see it from some one else's view point. With that in mind, I never complain about any story rejections We should be all learning from everything we do, and improving daily. That's part of life! I welcome feedback and edits.

Couldn't have said it better.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by candytales

Well I edit it and push it through the queue again.

It's not that big of a deal. Authors who traditionally publish (and even self publish, depending on the platform's requirements) edit all the time. It's part of the learning process and authors will only become stronger by not letting the need to edit slam their interest in writing.

It's par for the course. Just Buddha Zen your way to the end.

When I first joined Lush EVERY SINGLE ONE of my stories I published was rejected at least once or twice - or more.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
LUSH is one of the few story site's that enforces a standard of quality for writing. Most sites will post virtually anything that doesn't violate broad guidelines such as sexual content, topics, etc..

The mods here at LUSH give writers a means to actually improve their writing.

If rejected, check with the mod if you have any questions then rewrite and resubmit

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Lurker
0 likes
You'll get rejected for reason less than good. I had to different readers tell me "unbounds" was a misspelling of the word "unbinds". The 2nd one actually changed to unbinds for me. I was like dude unbounds is not a mistake. It's a better word than unbinds. He unbounds her. That means he set her free from limits by untying her. It was made clear before that line that she was tied up. When I can use one word that means a bunch of stuff then yeah I'm going to using it.
Cocolicious
0 likes
Quote by CheifPussyPop
You'll get rejected for reason less than good. I had to different readers tell me "unbounds" was a misspelling of the word "unbinds". The 2nd one actually changed to unbinds for me. I was like dude unbounds is not a mistake. It's a better word than unbinds. He unbounds her. That means he set her free from limits by untying her. It was made clear before that line that she was tied up. When I can use one word that means a bunch of stuff then yeah I'm going to using it.

Rejection for a single reason, let alone a single word, is highly unlikely. In fact it is discouraged. I took the liberty of looking at your stories and their histories, both were rejected for valid reasons. If you wish to discuss them privately, please contact me.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by candytales

most of my mistakes are (I hope) minor & I try to correct them. sometimes its a political correct thing. like the word 'queer' in my part of the world (Dallas, Texas) the word is used all the time by both gays & non-gays. using any other word sounds dumb. but lush doesn't allow it so even though to my ears it sounds wrong I've learned to use homo or homosexual.
Lurker
0 likes
Both my stories have been returned unverified for more work. I've only had to do basics like fixing paragraphs etc, however I also reread and have added and changed text during this process. It's my opinion as someone of limited education that the return for further work is, for me, an opportunity to self educate. When my first story was published and quite well received the feelings of achievement were overwhelming and have encouraged me no end to continue.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
If I get a story rejected (it happens now and then) it's usually over things that I consider pretty minor (typos or formatting issues). Sometimes it can be annoying, but it's just a reminder for me to be more careful about those things. I can fix them up and resubmit the story in short period of time (maybe an hour) and usually it gets accepted the second time around. So I don't consider those to be rejection.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
The few times I've had a story rejected, it was fully my own fault and it came with advice how I could fix it. Some have been due to a word limit issue (something I did in my early days on Lush), while others were due to too many grammatical errors & it was a comp entry so the Mods really can't fix it for me (which I totally respect btw!!!)

I'm grateful to our Mods who catch my stupid typos and fix them when they can. I'm also grateful to the members who PM me when typos get past me and a Mod or two so I can fix it quickly.

The only stories I've pulled were stories that violated Lush's TOS. Those were posted out of ignorance (and in my early days of being a member) and because it would be too much to fix or change, I pulled them. I don't blame the Mods for doing their job... I thank them.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
We're all here as writers because we have stories to tell. We all believe we have the ability to write, some with less justification than others. I've had a story rejected, and it was I think a pretty good one. The reason was I was skating too far out on the thin ice, pushing the limits, which is where I like to hang out. To every writer, each piece is his or her 'baby', and when someone tells you that your kid is ugly, it'll piss you off. I pouted, sure, but I'm going to rework it, avoid the verboten areas and make it work. I wrote many pieces for another site, and my first submission was savagely received, and for good reason: I was too lazy, didn't do basic research and got called on it. Also, I had to learn HTML. I thought 'who the hell are they to tell ME I have to learn HTML to play here? Uh, they were the owners and/or managers of the site, that's who they were. Long story short, I learned to format my stuff in HTML. It's sometimes called pride, sometimes called pig headedness....and it keeps us from learning. That's one of the best lessons any of us can learn.