last reply
18 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,25473828-5005962,00.html

ANDREW Norman wanted to eat damper and he expected his girlfriend to cook it.

So when she turned her back on him he picked up a knife and stabbed her in the back.

She died at Royal Darwin Hospital later that night.

"The offender argued with the victim, demanding that he cook her food,'' Justice Sally Thomas told the NT Supreme Court in Darwin.

"When she delayed and turned her back, the offender picked up a standard steak knife and stabbed the victim in the middle of her back.''

Norman, aged 29, was today sentenced to seven years and six months in prison, with a non-parole period of three years and nine months.

Norman pleaded guilty to recklessly causing his 40-year-old girlfriend's death on August 18, 2008, after they had been drinking in bushland near Knuckeys Lagoon community.

In the early afternoon they went to a Darwin home to eat.

"I bought a gas stove and flour and I told her to make some damper for me,'' Justice Thomas said Norman told police.

"She was still hanging around so I told her come make some damper for me but she was making me really wild...

"I wake up from my bed and went and stabbed her, stabbed her bad way, yeh.''

But Norman, who comes from a tiny community near Yuendumu in central Australia, told police he did not intend to kill his partner.

"I was going to stab her a little bit, only once,'' he said.

An autopsy found the 10cm stab wound had "passed through her right lung'' and she had a blood alcohol reading of 0.266 per cent.

Justice Thomas said she accepted the fully initiated Aboriginal man, from the Walpiri tribe, had the knife in his hand because he was going to use it to cut up some meat.

"It was an impulsive act. It was not a sustained attack and death resulted from one stab wound,'' she told the court.

Norman will be eligible for parole in 2012.
Matriarch
0 likes
Oh dear lord, what a horrible story.

10cm wound? I find it hard cutting a thick steak, how can he have only meant to "stab her a little bit" and made such a deep cut?

Sadly this kind of thing happens all too often
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
oh dear.. even stabbing a bit doesn't sound like a good idea.
0 likes
That's awful. Seems like he was only given a bit of a jail sentence to go along with the bit of a stabbing.
Lurker
0 likes
I have to admit I LOL when I read the he only wanted to stab her a bit. All cause she wouldn't get up and make him some bread.
Matriarch
0 likes
Yes, I was shocked at the leniency of the sentence. He'll probably be out in 4 years from the looks of things. Talk about getting away with murder
Lurker
0 likes
The guy even admitted doing it and why he did it. Such injustice.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen
I have to admit I LOL when I read the he only wanted to stab her a bit. All cause she wouldn't get up and make him some bread.

That made me laugh as well Chef.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by chefkathleen

He just wanted to stab her a bit......bread is important!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
....... no your honor, the gun? oh i only wanted to shoot him a little bit, just enough to get him to move his ass, then the shotgun went off in my hand and brain matter EVERYWHERE. But really only meant to shoot him a little bit..... gotta try that one out
Even when you're blindfolded, Hindsite is 20/20
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I hate to see the justice in this way; but I hope they stab him "a little bit" in the prison too. I hope they do it many times indeed.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Obviously, drinking and damper don't mix.

BTW, what's damper?
Lurker
0 likes
Bread I think. Soda bread maybe?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The phrase "I'm only going to stick it in a little bit" does not generally involve knives.
"I can resist everything except temptation." - Oscar Wilde
Internet Sensation
0 likes
hmhm this is true wicked... a little bit is for dagger-shafts. *nods*
Lush Legend
0 likes
Looks rather tasty though.......
"Love all, trust a few, and do wrong to none."
Lurker
0 likes
Is it like sourdough?