Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

If sending your story to others for proofreading, how is best to do it?

last reply
15 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I've had someone PM me to give constructive criticism on a story, but we've hit a bit of a snag with how he gets the story to me for me to read it in full. How do other people achieve this?

I understand that only image files can be sent by PM. Do you exchange email addresses with the person who wants to share a story with you, or is there another way that people use?

Information gratefully received.
Sophisticate
0 likes
I have used google docs to share a document with someone else.
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Yes, I usually exchange email addresses. Since I only really proofread for people I consider close friends, it's not a big deal.
0 likes
I was just dealing with this. I ended up creating a account that I'm going to reserve for this use.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Burquette
I was just dealing with this. I ended up creating a account that I'm going to reserve for this use.

This is also what I did for my collaboration w VirgoGo. Very smooth to edit and suggest changes.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
telepathy seems to work for me.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
I just bung it in a private message or email it. I write it to myself on here or the blue site first, so all the weird things Word does to the formatting is stripped out anyway, and I have a copy I can always access without getting found out.

When co-authoring, one of us typed, whilst we wrote it together over Skype, and then the other checked it from a message when it was done.

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by sprite
telepathy seems to work for me.

I'm intercepting your telepathy right now. SPRITE? I can't believe you thought that! You ARE naughty!
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I've had a number of writers send me stories up to 10K words in PM's here, and I've edited them right in the return message box. I've also received them in emails, but sometimes line-breaks, spacing, and other formatting is lost in some emails when copied and pasted into different word processors. But I've never had any problems editing directly in PM's on Lush.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
There anyone good for subcontracting for proof reading, like someone I can send my work to without it getting copied?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Maybe I took a risk but I emailed someone after asking for an editor on another site. I have an alternate email address for that.
Editor at large
0 likes
The PM system works fine. Only snag is with italic or bold words which become plain text.
As an editor, I get over that by use of (brackets) around the words required in italic. The author then formats them as italic in the submission panel.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by PanJinlian
I've had someone PM me to give constructive criticism on a story, but we've hit a bit of a snag with how he gets the story to me for me to read it in full. How do other people achieve this?

I understand that only image files can be sent by PM. Do you exchange email addresses with the person who wants to share a story with you, or is there another way that people use?

Information gratefully received.

After over-extending myself, I now point people to Scribophile as a means of offering up Erotica to critique. It requires one to put a little bit of work-in before getting a piece put up for critique. It's an effort. I rely on it 100%.

I used to just email content for edit and was pretty open with others on helping them improve and see Lush success - however, I came across a few who took advantage of my offer to help or who expected more than just 'helping' - like people wanting me to actually just fix the work and make it publishable (which I now charge for).
The Linebacker
0 likes
You can PM your story text to a Lush friend to proof and edit for you.

Of course exchanging emails and sending text that way works also. As well as creating a PDF and emailing that to your proofreader/editor to mark the corrective edits on for you to make.

If you do exchange text by emails and then upload the final version to Lush, please proof it over really close for spacing problems. Some word processing software can have incompatibilities with Lush's submission text box, especially in line and word spacing. You'll need to fix that in the edit mode upon uploading. That is often too big a job for the verifiers to do. And please, do check for that.

If you encounter that problem, paste your correct text into a PM to send to yourself. Cut and paste that into your Lush text submission. That way it should retain the correct spacing. But it would lose italics if you used that. You would need to re-italicise any words meant to be italic.

I highly recommend using a proofreader/editor. A fresh set of eyes will almost always catch mistakes that the author misses.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
pony express works, too.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by sprite
pony express works, too.