is SUPER pissed because....

last reply
12 replies
1.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
so last night i spent 5 hours 5 HOURS typing what would have been the best of all the stories i've written and the damn computer ERASED IT! yea....and get this....i saved like half of it.....and when i tried to retrieve it...the folder was NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.....

AS IF I HAVENT BEEN GOING THROUGH ENOUGH GOD FEELS INCLINED TO JUST FUCK UP THE ONLY THING THAT REALLY MAKES ME HAPPY? i mean..comon....why couldnt something else have happened....

now i feel like i let ppl down because alot of ppl have been asking me when i was gunna start submitting stories again now i dont know how long it's gunna take me to sit down and type what brilliancy i had last night....ugh

that story was a masterpiece. and i havent written one for months and then the second i actually get some inspiration and sit down to type BAM i get hit out of nowhere.
this...is...bullshit.
Lurker
0 likes
That's why I tell people all the time to keep multiple back ups of important files and not just rely on the computer. I have seen it happen to many times where people loose irreplaceable gigs worth of documents and pictures and such.

AGAIN THE MOST IMPRTATN THING YOU CAN DO IS HAVE SEVERAL DIFFERENT BACK UPS!!! whether A COMBO OF CD-Rs OR FLASH DRIVES JUST DON'T SOLY RELY ON THE HARD DRIVE THEY DO AND WILL CRASH.

Sorry to hear that happened I bet you wanted to throw the machine to.
Internet Sensation
0 likes
Hmhm, had a similar experience at my grandmas.
I just had to finish that chapter of the story. was in a hurry and suddenly my grandma tells me what time it is. Looks at my ears and starts talking about them
Just as I should press save, I turn my head and pressed don't save instead.
Few months ago before I joined Lush, my computer crashed just when I was going to do my backup. Aka -1gb- textfiles gone. In other words a year of my life gone.
Luckily Im an easygoing person and hey I dont need to sit down and sort all thoose files now ;)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
yeah and get this, we just got this new computer back in june, and then something happened to it and we've havent had internet since then because my sis took it to place after place after place to get it looked at because it wasnt connecting online, and then just a couple weeks ago she took it to this guy who my stepmom knows and he fixed it, so just yesterday we hooked up online for the first time in almost a yr....and then this shit happens. so i think im gunna take your advice and invest in a flash drive....

thx bikebum
0 likes
I feel your pain. The same thing happened to me recently with my lap top. It's been nothing but trouble lately. I had to sit there very calmly for a couple of minutes so I didn't end up hurting it.
Matriarch
0 likes
If I write in Word, I have the autosave feature set to 5 minutes, solves the problem.

Secondly, check if it has actually totally gone, put a search in for *.doc files within the last week, it might be saved in some obscure folder.

Otherwise, very sorry for your loss, it's incredibly frustrating isn't it.
Lurker
0 likes
If you saved it once, try a Find with Ctrl-F and search your whole C drive, using the title. Maybe it's hidden in a folder somewhere.
Do what the others have said and set that Word program (if you use it) to Autosave, and get a cheap thumb drive to back up to.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
welll turns out it was saved in a draft here on lush......*shrugs* i think i fell out of my chair when i discovered it wasnt lost! lol

look for a new story from me within the next week! started a new job and they already have me working 40 hrs over the next 5 days
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by nicola
If I write in Word, I have the autosave feature set to 5 minutes, solves the problem.

I have my Word set like that also.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Sarah:

Get a Mac!

A built in "Time Machine" automatically backsup your work every hour--so, even if you accidentally delete the contents of a file and save it that way, you can still go back to the previous hour's version.

Anyway, it's all water over the dam, right? Your new stories are awesome!
Lurker
0 likes
yeah i agree with nicola. go to the ? symbol near search and run. then click on ALL files and folders and your computer just might find it you be surprised what was hiding in there. I had trouble with my pc and thats what i had to do to try and find all my lost stories in documents area. hope this helps. HB xxx
Lurker
0 likes
nerdy solution -- > version control. Like subversion. Windows had an excellent client, tortis svn-- keeps version of files, so you can figure out what changes you've made. Use a pen drive and your computer. You will never lose anything unless the city's destroyed.
Lurker
0 likes
Damn, I hate it when that happens with a simple email so i can't imagine how gutted you must have been sad I hope you managed to remember some of it and try again later! xxx