Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Happy endings or sad endings - which do you prefer?

last reply
41 replies
3.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Happy
Lurker
0 likes
Generally happy, though I think my best story is a series with an unhappy ending. I also have at least one story with a dark twist at the end, but the story wasn't pretty before that either. Generally prefer happy, both to read and write.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Happy beats sad every time
However, sad maybe more realistic and truthful in real life
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Happy beats sad every time
However, sad maybe more realistic and truthful in real life
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I'll go along with the rest and vote for happy. At least for me, there is too much sadness in life, so most of my fantasies are happy ones.

However, that does not mean that stories with sad endings are poor stories. As most stories on Lush have happy endings, a sad ending can often be less formulaic and more interesting.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm writing more and more with some sort of change for my lead character. It's usually life changing for the good for them. So........Happy.
0 likes
I could go for happy endings, but of course we know in real life, there are more sad endings than happy ones. I try to not necessarily pick one for my stories, just write what I think should happen. Whether readers lean towards liking it or not, that's up to them. Of course you can't please everyone. So, I just think the ending should fit the story.
I'm not for everyone
0 likes
Never been a fan of anything syrupy. I prefer stories that challenge the characters. Make them think, reassess, question why, struggle on the inside. I believe that sometimes the answer to the question is irrelevant. Sometimes, understanding the question is the lesson to be learned. Sometimes, the experience itself is the lesson. For me, that is a satisfying ending to any story.
The Linebacker
0 likes
You can get a happy ending at the massage parlor.
0 likes
Happy, of course. There is enough sadness in reality.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I wouldn't say the ending should preferably be happy, but satisfying, in a way that was appropriate or believable, consistent with the story. Sometimes a dramatic or unpleasant conclusion fits the story better. But it's always nice when things work out well for all involved.
Lurker
0 likes
A balance of realistic outcomes in which people learn things about themselves, each other and about the way the world works. All relationships end, whether that's now, in a couple of years or in 50 years time when one partner dies, so it's really unrealistic to have everybody ride off into the sunset deliriously happy.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I agree with I believe the general consensus of existing comments: the ending has to fit the story and that the ending should reflect a change in the main character. If the change in the character leads to the character being sad does that mean the story has a sad ending. A case in point, my latest story https://www.lushstories.com/stories/exhibitionism/my-first-show-1.aspx where the main character goes through what she considers to be a "bad" change. Whether it's a bad change in the bigger picture of her overall life remains to be seen.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't have a preference so long as the ending fits the story.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
if it's erotica, it had better be happy. dude, i mean, seriously. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

0 likes
I love a happy ending. If you can make it natural as overcoming the conflict in the story, there's nothing better.
Lurker
0 likes
Just like in some "Massage Parlors", happy endings are preferred.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I prefer an ending that fits the story, whether happy, unhappy, or ambiguous. A good ending helps keep a story turning over in your mind after you've read it.

"It seemed like a nice neighborhood to have bad habits in.” Raymond Chandler

Lurker
0 likes
For my writing, I have never thought of happy or sad endings. For the most part the stories reflect an event in life, so I don't really think of them as happy or sad. As my stories here on Lush are all, obviously, of an erotic nature, I do make sure that the main character (usually me) is fulfilled sexually. But, it isn't always happy or sad. Sometimes it's just the end of the activity, or the day, or the holiday, or the event. Sometimes things don't work out in my stories as they were planned. Unexpected turns happen all the time. Happy? Sad? Not sure... but hopefully... very erotic! If my story turns someone on or inspires someone, then that is good enough for me.
Primus Omnium
0 likes
I like a good story. I don't really care if it is a happy ending or not. Depends upon the story. I write lots of happy endings when the story involves simply having some sexual pleasure, but I certainly write stories that have endings that are less than happy. Again, I try to write good stories. However they may be resolved.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
I always prefer happy endings... but if a sad ending is well written, then that's really all that matters.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Happy. Always Happy. I read for entertainment and escape.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I want which one best fits the rest of the story.

I can have pretty dark tastes though. I think I like sad endings more than most people do, and sad storylines in general.