Open Office and quotation spacing

last reply
10 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've submitted stories using Open Office and have been rejected three times due to spaces in my dialog at the beginning of the line.

The reason is that Open Office puts a space between the quotation mark and the first letter when starting a line in dialog. I found that using my Macbook and the word processor there that problem didn't occur.

So, if you get rejected for that reason......Open Office is the problem.
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
To entirely contradict your post, I also use Open Office and have never had this problem.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
That sucks because I came to this conclusion after trying Open Office on my PC (windows 10) and Macbook. I used different fonts and the results were always the same. The various moderators who reviewed my stories couldn't figure it out either. Next time I'll post a disclaimer. "your results may or may not be the same as mine".

Thanks for the input.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I use Open Office.
I get unwanted white spaces after quotation marks at the beginning of dialogue.
I have to delete them before finally publishing.
You are right, it sucks big time and is annoying and time consuming.
But why don't they show up until after the edit is completed?
I hit 'continue' after checking there are no white spaces but then they appear in the draft so I have to go back to editor, delete them and then submit.
My question is:
Is the fault with open office or within the Lush Editor?
WooHoo!!!! 27,000 views! Could I dare to hope for a famous story...

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/milf/the-runner.aspx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Anna,

I wish I knew the answer to that. I used version 4.1.1 on the Mac with Yosemite and 4.1.2 on the PC with windows 10. They both screwed up.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Every time I see the title of this thread, I read it as 'Open Orifice'...every time.

Every.Goddamn.Time.

What makes it even more frustrating is the fact that 'Open Orifice' is redundant.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Perhaps it's in your file type? Usually, extra spaces and that sort of thing are brought on by rich text macros embedded in the file. They don't transfer well in a copy/paste.

While this is not the ideal solution, we have found that if you copy the story into a PM window and send it to yourself, the message you receive will be clean. So then you can copy/paste from there to the story window. Just fyi.

Edit: clean of the usual issues. Any grammar or punctuation errors that were made during writing week still have to be dealt with. ;)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I use Open Office and I have had the problem. In my case it seems to have been caused by some of the formatting I do. Italics, bold and underlining all seem to cause the problem. Saving the file as an HTML file and then editing that with a plain text editor allows you to see all of the formatting controls.

Open Office creates some really weird formatting controls when you change formatted text - ie: adding or removing specially formatted text. In Open Office it looks fine but then you paste it into the Lush editor and it doesn't know how to interpret things properly and ends up leaving extra spaces.

It can be fixed by converting the final Open Office document to HTML, fixing that with a plain text editor, and then converting it back to the Open Office format. I wouldn't try this though unless you have at least a nodding acquintanceship with HTML.

If you use Open Office and special formatting of any kind - bold, italic or underlining - you are likely to have this problem. If you are not familiar with HTML you probably will need to fix it in the Lush editor.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It's really Libre Office that I use but I used to use Open Office and have encountered the problem with both.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by TraceEkies
I use Open Office and I have had the problem. In my case it seems to have been caused by some of the formatting I do. Italics, bold and underlining all seem to cause the problem. Saving the file as an HTML file and then editing that with a plain text editor allows you to see all of the formatting controls.

Open Office creates some really weird formatting controls when you change formatted text - ie: adding or removing specially formatted text. In Open Office it looks fine but then you paste it into the Lush editor and it doesn't know how to interpret things properly and ends up leaving extra spaces.

It can be fixed by converting the final Open Office document to HTML, fixing that with a plain text editor, and then converting it back to the Open Office format. I wouldn't try this though unless you have at least a nodding acquintanceship with HTML.

If you use Open Office and special formatting of any kind - bold, italic or underlining - you are likely to have this problem. If you are not familiar with HTML you probably will need to fix it in the Lush editor.

Will this retain things like italics, or would they have to be reapplied a second time, which would also happen with the suggestion to copy the story into a pm box, and then add formatting in the lush editor?

I was considering using text edit on my mac and using command shift T to strip the invisible extra formatting. (I think notepad does the same for pcs, though I'm not sure if you need to give a command to strip formatting, or if it does it automatically). That, however, still would make me have to add in the italics manually after the fact.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by oceanrunner1974
Will this retain things like italics, or would they have to be reapplied a second time, which would also happen with the suggestion to copy the story into a pm box, and then add formatting in the lush editor?...

You can retain the formatting if you do as follows:

1) from the Open Office/Libre Office document Save As HTML;

2) Open the HTML document with a generic type text editor; (just a plain old ascii text editor, not something like Open Office or Libre Office that introduces its own formatting marks.)

3) Edit out the DocType entry, all the heading stuff except the heading and end heading labels <head> and </head>;

4) In the body, strip out all unnecessary tags; (Remove <span>, <div>, etc. When you are done you should have a document that begins with <html> and ends with </html>. You will have <head> and </head> with nothing between them and you will have your story bracketed by <body> and </body>. The only html in the body should be <p> separating the paragraphs, and <i> and </i> bracketing the italics and other formatting openings and closings for bold and underlining if you use those. If you use a little common sense you can do all of this with a few 'find and replace' type edits.)

5) Read it back into Open Office/Libre Office; and

6) Copy and paste it into the Lush editor.

Note: Steps 3 and 4 require at least a basic knowledge of raw HTML coding.