Login

Creating your character

last reply
13 replies
1.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
Just a quick question. For those that write. Who do you base your characters on? Where do you get ideas for their build, or how they look. How they act? I usually base my characters on people I see every day. Then I change their bodies to either models I have seen on the net or actors. Just wanted to know how other writers, get their ideas for their characters.
0 likes
They kind of walk up and introduce themselves. I know that sounds facetious, but it kind of describes my method. I start with the bare bones (he's a nineteen year-old virgin in college, she's a forty year-old cougar who owns the house he is renting) and then let them flesh out (yes, that's a mild pun) based on how the story develops. Ideas and influences leak in from various sources (some of them are based on people I know or have met, for instance) but not always consciously. That is, I don't wrack my brains trying to think of forty year-old women to base the cougar on, I just see what feels right as I go and use it. If I was writing longer stuff, then I'd spend some time charting them out and planning them a little but for 10,000 word or less erotica, I find that letting them develop organically works fairly well.
Chuckanator
0 likes
I usually create a plot and build the characters inside the plot. Sometimes they are loosely built on my own life and experiences. Other times they are purely fantasy. But I write a story board and develope the characters to fit the story line.
0 likes
Quote by ChuckEPoo
I usually create a plot and build the characters inside the plot. Sometimes they are loosely built on my own life and experiences. Other times they are purely fantasy. But I write a story board and develope the characters to fit the story line.

This.

I usually have a story idea and develop the characters that will drive the story. For example, I'm contemplating a story where two Dominants try to have a relationship. It would take very specific chemistry to drive a relationship that was believable, hot, and not antagonistic.

Mostly, for me, the characters I create are pure fantasy.

AS for physical description, I was tragically born without a mind's eye. I have to google images to find one that suits me then I base the description on that picture. If she/he is about to do anything specific (like oral sex) sometimes, I'll focus on key body parts (like lips).
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i don't really base them on anyone, with exceptions. i come up with an idea for a story and one of the characters floating around in my head usually steps up and says 'this one is me' and i go from there... over the years i have collected a lot of lurkers in my skull.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
They're all me. I have a miserable case of multiple personalities disorder. Writing about them is the only way my psychiatrist can keep track of them all.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
I just type and have no idea what or who I'm writing about. Usually an idea will come in a dream.

Most of the time I'll just look at the categories and say...ill do a milf story and just go from there. No rhyme or reasoning to the topics I come up with or the characters I write about.

I just like it naughty and full of action.

Hugs,
Mysteria
Lurker
0 likes
Most of my stories are inspired by and based on my wife who is sexually frigid. I like to envision and write about her becoming a total slut and me watching loads of blokes giving her a good seeing to.

I also photoshop my wife's head on to pictures of women getting fucked by loads of men and use the pictures as an added bit of inspiration when writing my stories.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The hardest thing is sometimes "Naming" the characters-have to pick names that are unfamiliar to my life and its history
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Shadowforce1
Just a quick question. For those that write. Who do you base your characters on? Where do you get ideas for their build, or how they look. How they act? I usually base my characters on people I see every day. Then I change their bodies to either models I have seen on the net or actors. Just wanted to know how other writers, get their ideas for their characters.

Most of the time my characters are present in some degree when I get the story idea. No matter what scale of story (short or novel), it's usually sparked with the character concept. Often, this one character takes little work to develop - they feel natural, like I know them, and take little thought to explore in depth.

Other characters are harder and take more work - but I don't resort to modeling them after other characters or people. And that stubborness makes a hard job harder. Women are easier to write. Men are harder. I do a lot of stalking of men (reading male-oriented forums, chatting with guys I know online about random things, talking to guys in real life about this and that, taking notes, eavesdropping, observing) all the creepy stuff I can do because "I'm an author."

So usually the character exists first - and then I have to figure out what more there is to tell about their situation and that's when things complicated for me.
0 likes
Quote by GrayGhost
The hardest thing is sometimes "Naming" the characters-have to pick names that are unfamiliar to my life and its history

The names come easy for me. Hardest parts are their personality, how they talk and outlook on the situation I put them in. But mostly their looks and how they dress.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
For me I start off with a loose story concept, I then go to Pinterest for visual ideas. I do base my toons extremely loosely at the beginning on people I have known in the past. Then I treat the story I am writing as an RPG. What would John say or do in this situation? What would Sarah say and feel in this situation? I'll gladly admit that I may sit down to tell one story, but because the characters are talking in such a way in my head that the story goes another way. For me the fun part is seeing how a character has changed from the beginning of a story and seeing how they are at the end, especially if you are using the same characters in multiple stories.

My advice, just listen to your characters, they will tell you what to write.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
All of my characters are loose composites of Japanese anime characters, French mimes, and various drunk hobos (and hobettes) hanging around the bus station at 3am.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.