0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
(1) Robert Newton (Actor)

(2) Dorothy Parker (Writer)

(3) Robin Williams (Comedian)

(5) Nicola Sweetness (Web Site Owner)

xx SF

(There were TWO jokes in there if you were paying attention...)
Lurker
0 likes
Another FIVE???

(1) Yootha Joyce (Actor)

(2) Brendan Behan (Writer)

(3) Hunter S Thompson (Journalist)

(4) Vivian Mac Kerrell (Failed Actor)

(5) ME! (FUCK only knows!!!)

xx SF
Lurker
0 likes
(1) Stephen King (Writer)

(2) Ben Affleck (Actor)

(3) Bruce Robinson (Film Director/Writer/Actor/God)

(4) Shane McGowan (Singer/Songwriter)

(5) Amy Winehouse (Singer/Writer)

xx SF
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
(1) George Best (footballer)

(2) Alex Higgins (snooker player)

(3) Oliver Reed (actor)

(4) Keith Moon (drummer)

(5) Ozzy Osborne. (singer)

That's gotta be my top five. I'll add some more if they spring to mind.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by MonsoonMicky
(1) George Best (footballer)

(2) Alex Higgins (snooker player)

(3) Oliver Reed (actor)

(4) Keith Moon (drummer)

(5) Ozzy Osborne. (singer)

That's gotta be my top five. I'll add some more if they spring to mind.

Oliver Reed died in IRELAND, where he had lived for some years... At his funeral, there was a FREE BAR at the local pub, BUT... (And he actually WROTE THIS INTO HIS WILL...) In order to qualify for Free Drink, you had to be 'Visibly Upset'... That's CLASS!!!

xx SF

Actually, I'm chatty, so I'll tell a ROBERT NEWTON story...

(Newton was an English Stage Actor of HUGE TALENT who went to Hollywood when his drinking problem got so BAD that NO-ONE in London would employ him... He is perhaps most famous as having played Long John Silver in the 1950 movie of that name.) https://outlandinstitute.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/robert-newton.jpg

David Niven, (a quintessential gentleman, a friend of Newton's and indeed a bit of a drinker himself tells the story...)

The pair of actors are working together on a film and at the end of the day's shooting, Newton asks Niven to go for a drink. Niven explains that, embarrassingly, he has no cash whatever!!! Newton assures his friend that cash is not a problem. So, both actors drive, in Niven's car, to the nearest bar. Now, the nearest bar to The Shoot happens to be this DOG ROUGH dock-side bar, full of low-lifes and whores!!! They settle in, they order and start drinking off a bar tab... As the hours pass and both get steadily drunker, Niven REPEATEDLY asks if Newton can afford this... Of course he can, Dear Boy, Another Round!!!

After HOURS of this, Newton turns to Niven and says, "Old Boy, do you have any money at all?"

Niven actually thinks he's joking. (He isn't. He hasn't got A NICKEL!)

Newton tells Niven to go out and start the car... As he does, Newton stands on the table and offers a sililoquy from Shakespeare!!! As the astounded audience of dockers and whores applaud, Newton runs out and jumps into the car and they drive off!!!

xx SF

(I just LIKE that story!!!)

OH I JUST REALISED SOMETHING!!!

I have had a drink with FOUR OF THE PEOPLE on your list!!!
Lurker
0 likes
Another Newton story???

David Niven was actually a Great Friend of Newton... Upon some film or other, Niven recommended Newton for a part... It might have been for MAYER or one of those Hollywood Moguls, but Niven STRESSED that while Newton drank a lot, he was actually a Fine Actor... They agreed to see Newton for the part... BUT...

Niven INSISTS, "You must not mention his drinking at the meeting!!! He's in recovery now and he's very sensitive about it... In fact, never say I even MENTIONED it..."

The meeting takes place... Newton is Newton, he WOWS Louis B Mayer and basically gets offered the part!!!

Then Mayer says, "You should thank Niven for this... By the way, he says you're a drunk..."

xx SF
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
In no particular order:

James Caan
Peter O’Toole
Anthony Hopkins
Joaquin Phoenix
Edgar Allan Poe
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Liz
In no particular order:

James Caan
Peter O’Toole
Anthony Hopkins
Joaquin Phoenix
Edgar Allan Poe

OMG!!!

(MET three of those!!!)

I REALLY DID!!!

xx SF
Sophisticate
0 likes
Peter O'Toole
William Holden
Christopher Hitchens
Richard Burton
F. Scott Fitzgerald

Also Dorothy Parker and Billie Holiday to add to Amy Winehouse for women.
Lurker
0 likes
Toulouse-Lautrec
Ernest Hemingway
Mrs Butterworth
Randy Atcher
Buddy Guy

Incidentally, I met Toulouse in a drive-thru at a White Castle.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by adagio_sabadicus
Toulouse-Lautrec
Ernest Hemingway
Mrs Butterworth
Randy Atcher
Buddy Guy

Incidentally, I met Toulouse in a drive-thru at a White Castle.

*YOU DID NOT!!!*

Henri WAS A LOT OF THINGS but A DRIVER he WAS NOT!!! (His little legs could never reach the pedals, GOD LOVE HIM!)

xx SF

Al :"I didn't say he was driving..."

Me: "He died in 1900..."

Al: "White Castle is an old chain..."

Me: "You Did Not Meet Tolouse-Lautrec!!!"

Al: "Voyez voux Ca!"*

*(My FRENCH is SO BAD but I used to hang out in Paris and this means 'What do you know?' or something like that!!!) "Is THAT how you see it?" surely??? (Haven't been to Paris in 30 years...)
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
#1 will always be Richard Nixon. Calling Kissinger up, drunk at 3 in the morning, demanding to nuke Vietnam.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Steven Tyler

Jim Morrison

Bon Scott

Amy Winehouse

John Bonham
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Richard Nixon
Winston Churchill
US Grant
Mickey Mantle
Charlie Sheen
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I can't believe no one has mentioned Dean Martin or Foster Brooks!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Master_Jonathan
I can't believe no one has mentioned Dean Martin or Foster Brooks!

both of whom played drunks, however, neither drank (tho Brooks used his experience drinking early on in his life to play the alcoholic persona that he was famed for).

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

0 likes
I have always found it highly appropriate that Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's founding Prime Minister, was noted for being overly fond of alcohol, though whiskey, rather than modern Canuck fave beer, was his poison of choice.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
1. Samuel Adams
2. Frances Elizabeth Caroline Willard.
3. Andrew Volstead.
4. John Pemberton
5. Elliot Ness
Sultan of Smut
0 likes
My greatest endeavor is to one day make this list
Check out my latest - a humorous collaboration with trinket and a Recommended Read
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite

both of whom played drunks, however, neither drank (tho Brooks used his experience drinking early on in his life to play the alcoholic persona that he was famed for).

Thank you for the correction sprite. It is true that Dean Martin's "drink" was either very watered down scotch or more often apple juice! Who knew!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Emerson501
My greatest endeavor is to one day make this list

i'm thinking outside the box and going for drugoholic!

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Master_Jonathan

Thank you for the correction sprite. It is true that Dean Martin's "drink" was either very watered down scotch or more often apple juice! Who knew!

i did. sprite are omnippletent, you know.

Sultan of Smut
0 likes
Quote by sprite

i'm thinking outside the box and going for drugoholic!

My drug of choice is the high I get stalking sprite around the forums
Check out my latest - a humorous collaboration with trinket and a Recommended Read
0 likes
Quote by Emerson501

My drug of choice is the high I get stalking sprite around the forums

And the injuries she inflicts when she catches you is the hangover?
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Im surprise I haven't seen the incredible Charles Bukowski here and Ernest Hemingway only once!
The Linebacker
0 likes
1. Ulysses Grant
2. Jackson Pollock
3. Mickey Mantle
4. Jack Kerouac
5. Mel Gibson
Lurker
0 likes
1. Jack Kerouac
2. Ernest Hemingway
3. Winston Churchill
4. Charles Bukowski
5. Edgar Allen Poe
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
There are some very impressive names on this thread, but we all know that every single one of them pales in comparison to the greatest drunk of all time. The absolute pinnacle of alcoholism. The one and only Sunnyvale trailer park supervisor Jim Lahey.

He is the liquor.