Story Length

last reply
3 replies
1.1k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I just posted my first story on here, and have a 2nd story ready to post. But it is fairly long (3200 words), so I don't know if I should split it up or post it all. I would be willing to share it for feedback.

Thanks!
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
The word limit for stories is 10,000, so 3,200 is well within that limit.

Speaking for myself, I don't mind lengthy stories (i.e. 8000-10,000 words), as long as the length is justified by the story holding my attention. Sometimes authors just love the sound of their own narrative voice (I'm probably guilty of this myself). On the other hand many shorter stories (less than 2500 words) seem underdeveloped to me.

Also, I recently criticized another author for releasing a story 700-800 words at a time. As I told the author in question, it's like giving a guy a thirty second blow job, and then making him wait several days for the next 30 seconds of pleasure.

3200 words, seems a good length for a nice quick read. Don't break it up.

But mainly, my advice is to aim for quality in a story, and the word count will sort itself out however it will. If your story is good, it will find readers, however long it is.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
what just a guy said is great advice - i hate seeing a short story broken up into parts, personally - it kills the momentum for me. if it's only 5k or less, keep it as one part.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Thanks to both of you. As I read back over it, it would be possible to break it up because I wrote it as a seduction story, but I feel like they need to go together.

I appreciate the responses.