last reply
219 replies
11.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Yes.

Sound is the vibration that travels (soundwave) through matter.

Being heard is only what takes place after the recipient receives that soundwave.

Soundwaves do not stop being sound waves just because a human didn't receive it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes, just ask the tree next to it.
Lurker
0 likes
No, it doesn't

Sound is caused by the ears interpretation of the movement of air. The faster/harder the movement, the louder our brains interprets it.
Therefore, if there is no instrument to convert the movement of air into a sound, then there is no sound. Just movements of air, which in itself doesn't make a sound

If a tree falls in space, does it make a sound? No. Because there is no air that it moves. It doesn't create a 'sound wave', it creates movement. So no air, or nothing to convert air movement into sound, and there is no sound.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Metilda
Yes.

Sound is the vibration that travels (soundwave) through matter.

Being heard is only what takes place after the recipient receives that soundwave.

Soundwaves do not stop being sound waves just because a human didn't receive it.

Just saw this

I'm a bit of a science geek and this stuff interests me, so I'm not trying to sound argumentative or arrogant here, but 'sound' doesn't travel in air or matter, but rather shock waves travel through air and matter.

So you are right in that the shock waves will travel regardless of a human presence or not, but only when an ear, or a mechanical instrument capable of doing the same thing, converts those waves to sound, does it actually become a sound

Hence, if a tree fell and no one was around, would it make a sound?
No.

But, you could argue that even if a human wasn't there, then there would be plenty of other creatures able to convert the waves into sounds!
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by TheAngryishLover

Just saw this

I'm a bit of a science geek and this stuff interests me, so I'm not trying to sound argumentative or arrogant here, but 'sound' doesn't travel in air or matter, but rather shock waves travel through air and matter.

So you are right in that the shock waves will travel regardless of a human presence or not, but only when an ear, or a mechanical instrument capable of doing the same thing, converts those waves to sound, does it actually become a sound

No.

But, you could argue that even if a human wasn't there, then there would be plenty of other creatures able to convert the waves into sounds!

I would say that sound doesn't need a measuring device (ear or otherwise) to exist, excepting that we needed to have such devices to know that sound exists in the first place. This also accepting that sound will always occur when anything moves through a gas or the gas moves relative to other masses (of whatever matter phase). Also accepting that there isn't some as yet unforeseen phenomena that can provide an exception, such as something causing a vacuum around a falling tree. Ridiculously unlikely, just highlighting that nothing is ever 100% certain.

However the question was whether a tree makes a noise (which is not how the question is usually couched in terms of sound). A noise is an unpleasant sound. Unpleasantness is an intentional state requiring a conscious entity and so therefore if there is no intentional being around to detect the tree falling, and that also doesn't like the sound of the tree falling (a logger might quite enjoy it) then it won't make a noise, just an unrecognised or recognised pleasant sound.

But as per always with these type of arguments, they get bogged down in semantics.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
If a tree falls in the forrest, the other trees laugh at it.
Wild at Heart
0 likes

Just saw this

No.

Quote by miketabcdefg

I would say that sound doesn't need a measuring device (ear or otherwise) to exist, excepting that we needed to have such devices to know that sound exists in the first place. This also accepting that sound will always occur when anything moves through a gas or the gas moves relative to other masses (of whatever matter phase). Also accepting that there isn't some as yet unforeseen phenomena that can provide an exception, such as something causing a vacuum around a falling tree. Ridiculously unlikely, just highlighting that nothing is ever 100% certain.

However the question was whether a tree makes a noise (which is not how the question is usually couched in terms of sound). A noise is an unpleasant sound. Unpleasantness is an intentional state requiring a conscious entity and so therefore if there is no intentional being around to detect the tree falling, and that also doesn't like the sound of the tree falling (a logger might quite enjoy it) then it won't make a noise, just an unrecognised or recognised pleasant sound.

But as per always with these type of arguments, they get bogged down in semantics.

I think the question is philosophical and not technical. Of course it technically makes a sound... but does it matter since no one heard it? Like a man's voice getting lost in a crowd of other voices and not being "heard". Or a musician writing the greatest song ever but only singing it to themselves while alone. A painter never finishing a masterpiece. Shit like that.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by miketabcdefg

Well you can say that if you want, but you are scientifically incorrect. Sound only occurs when you have something that can transform audible waves into a sound. Otherwise it's just vibration.

Humans use the vibration from a falling tree and turn into sounds. Some creatures use the vibrations of air/matter to 'see'. In either instance, it's simply a cause of the perception of the brain to transform those waves into sound or sight.

Another perfect example of this would be radio waves. The question could equally ask 'as a radio wave passed your house, if you didn't have a radio antenna would it make a sound?'

Of course it wouldn't. At any given moment, you've got 100's (potentially more?) of radio waves passing through your house, and you never hear it until you turn on the radio (and you can even see it, with the static of your TV being the cause of radio waves too- some even being the radio waves created from the big bang!)

So the falling of a tree is only turned into a sound when you have a 'radio antenna' (or ear) that turns it into a sound (or noise, if it's particularly unpleasant)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

I think the question is philosophical and not technical. Of course it technically makes a sound... but does it matter since no one heard it? Like a man's voice getting lost in a crowd of other voices and not being "heard". Or a musician writing the greatest song ever but only singing it to themselves while alone. A painter never finishing a masterpiece. Shit like that.

Sorry magical....this really sounds arrogant, but I'm not THINKING about the answer, but I KNOW the answer.

The movement of air, from a falling tree, is a wave. A wave is not a sound. Sound is simply a perception of that moving air. So you would need something to convert that wave into sound, as above.

The use of the human is simply an illustration of something that can convert those moving particles of air. As I said earlier, even if a human wasn't there, SOMETHING would be converting to the waves into sound. But this is the meaning of question, and why it is an interesting one. And this isn't my theory, it's the answer....
Wild at Heart
0 likes

Sorry magical....this really sounds arrogant, but I'm not THINKING about the answer, but I KNOW the answer.

The movement of air, from a falling tree, is a wave. A wave is not a sound. Sound is simply a perception of that moving air. So you would need something to convert that wave into sound, as above.

The use of the human is simply an illustration of something that can convert those moving particles of air. As I said earlier, even if a human wasn't there, SOMETHING would be converting to the waves into sound. But this is the meaning of question, and why it is an interesting one. And this isn't my theory, it's the answer....

I understand that... That's why I said yes, technically, it makes a sound. But that is not the point of the question. The question was first asked by a philosopher, not a scientist ;)
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
I like TAL's explanation best.

SCIENCE!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

I understand that... That's why I said yes, technically, it makes it a sound. But that is not the point of the question. The question was first asked by a philosopher, not a scientist ;)

Technically, it doesn't make a sound unless someone, or thing, is there to hear it.

I don't know who first asked the question, but the scientific answer is no, it doesn't!
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

I understand that... That's why I said yes, technically, it makes it a sound. But that is not the point of the question. The question was first asked by a philosopher, not a scientist ;)

Who originally asked the question doesn't matter. For the purposes of this thread, it was asked by Trinket, and she placed no limitation on the subject of the response.

So, TAL can be correct with his science and you can be correct with your philosophy.

WE'RE ALL WINNERS!!!! biggrin
Wild at Heart
0 likes

Technically, it doesn't make a sound unless someone, or thing, is there to hear it.

I don't know who first asked the question, but the scientific answer is no, it doesn't!

Sorry, I meant that the technicalities don't matter. The scientific community actually have varying opinions on the answer, some say yes, some say no, some say its just conjecture. It's pretty interesting reading actually, from either standpoint.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes

Well you can say that if you want, but you are scientifically incorrect. Sound only occurs when you have something that can transform audible waves into a sound. Otherwise it's just vibration.

Humans use the vibration from a falling tree and turn into sounds. Some creatures use the vibrations of air/matter to 'see'. In either instance, it's simply a cause of the perception of the brain to transform those waves into sound or sight.

Another perfect example of this would be radio waves. The question could equally ask 'as a radio wave passed your house, if you didn't have a radio antenna would it make a sound?'

Of course it wouldn't. At any given moment, you've got 100's (potentially more?) of radio waves passing through your house, and you never hear it until you turn on the radio (and you can even see it, with the static of your TV being the cause of radio waves too- some even being the radio waves created from the big bang!)

So the falling of a tree is only turned into a sound when you have a 'radio antenna' (or ear) that turns it into a sound (or noise, if it's particularly unpleasant)

It's all about definitions. What do we mean by 'sound'? Is sound the perception or the potential (audible waves) of it?

Same with the chicken and the egg: is a chicken's egg an egg laid by a chicken or an egg from which a chicken will hatch? If we can choose one over the other then the answer to the question of which came first will be clear and simple.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

Sorry, I meant that the technicalities don't matter. The scientific community actually have varying opinions on the answer, some say yes, some say no, some say its just conjecture. It's pretty interesting reading actually, from either standpoint.

I'd love to know what scientist believes a sounds exists without an instrument to turn the wave into sound?
Please point them out to me....
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by RavenStar

Who originally asked the question doesn't matter. For the purposes of this thread, it was asked by Trinket, and she placed no limitation on the subject of the response.

So, TAL can be correct with his science and you can be correct with your philosophy.

WE'RE ALL WINNERS!!!! biggrin

For the record, in no way was I implying that trinket is a philosopher. Let's just be clear about that. She's just poorly wording an interesting old question that still fascinates humans today. Not sure what your point is? Are you saying we shouldn't discuss the subject in an intelligent manner because trinket asked it?
Wild at Heart
0 likes

I'd love to know what scientist believes a sounds exists without an instrument to turn the wave into sound?
Please point them out to me....

You have the internet... You do your own research. I'm not going to waste my time looking up articles and passages to show you. The most basic source of information I'm willing to spend time looking through says this.

Albert Einstein is reported to have asked his fellow physicist and friend Niels Bohr, one of the founding fathers of quantum mechanics, whether he realistically believed that 'the moon does not exist if nobody is looking at it.' To this Bohr replied that however hard Einstein may try, he would not be able to prove that it does, thus giving the entire riddle the status of a kind of an infallible conjecture, one that cannot be either proved or disproved.

Sounds like a physicist gave a somewhat philosophical response to the question. It also sounds like Einstein believes the moon does exist if no one is looking at it or for it.

So I guess from a scientific standpoint it's just conjecture. That's why the question which is rooted in philosophy shouldn't be looked at from a scientific point of view.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It falls It's loud!
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

Philosophy not underpinned by science, not underpinned by what we actually know about the world is cod philosophy, and not worth bothering with. The best philosophers always worked with the best science of the time.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The definition of sound in the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary

Pronunciation: /saʊnd/
noun

[MASS NOUN]
Vibrations that travel through the air or another medium and can be heard when they reach a person’s or animal’s ear:

And according to Merriam-Webster

mechanical radiant energy that is transmitted by longitudinal pressure waves in a material medium (as air) and is the objective cause of hearing

The way we defined sound, dictates that it exists, whether it is heard or not.
A little kindness can be so valuable, yet costs almost nothing

In many countries being gay is a crime, and even in modern societies, politicians try to legalise discrimination. Your voice can make a difference. Have a look at All Out to find out how.

Hey... pssst.... that's an l (as in luscious) at the end of my name, not an i
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

For the record, in no way was I implying that trinket is a philosopher. Let's just be clear about that. She's just poorly wording an interesting old question that still fascinates humans today. Not sure what your point is? Are you saying we shouldn't discuss the subject in an intelligent manner because trinket asked it?

Nope. I wouldn't say that.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Consider this:

If titties were out, and Dani didn't motorboat them, were the titties ever really out?

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Υπηρέτης της Αφροδίτης
0 likes
I blame lumberjacking and illegal logging, time and old age.
In the world's harsh wear and tear many a very sincere attachment is slowly obliterated.

Είμαι ταξιδιώτης τόσο στο χρόνο όσο και στο διάστημα
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes

No time here, got to get to work, but the vibrations are the sound. Once again though it's a daft semantic argument we're entering into. We both accept the fact that the vibrations are there, you simply choose not to call them sound. And it's not very scientific to say 'I KNOW'. Knowledge is never absolute. There are always uncertainties, even when they become vanishingly small.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/sound/soucon.html

under sound propagation, this...
"Sound propagates through air as a longitudinal wave. The speed of sound is determined by the properties of the air, and not by the frequency or amplitude of the sound. Sound waves, as well as most other types of waves, can be described in terms of the following basic wave phenomena. "

Radio waves are not sound, they're electromagnetic vibrations that exist regardless of whether we decide to detect them and then turn them into sound waves that our ears then covert into firing neurons abstracted from the sound itself. Though with electromagnetic waves we are more directly confronted with the world of quantum effects which complicate the matter somewhat. Some say they don't need a medium, others would say we don't understand the medium yet.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by miketabcdefg

Philosophy not underpinned by science, not underpinned by what we actually know about the world is cod philosophy, and not worth bothering with. The best philosophers always worked with the best science of the time.

I suppose.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
If the tree falls and a human is around to hear it, who created the sound, the tree or the human?
Lurker
0 likes
Simple .... "If a tree falls....." Get the hell out of there!
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Electrons both do and do not exist. They only occupy space and time once they have been observed, prior to that they only theoretically exist.

That's not philosophy, that is a major building block of quantum mechanics. Not exactly fact, but a theory that has withstood all attempts to disprove it, so pretty close to fact. Apply the same principle to sound (not a perfect analogy, I admit, though the substance sound waves pass through is partly made of electrons) and the sound only exists in theory until it is heard, and then it actually exists.

Thus, the sound both does and does not exist. Like Schrödinger's fucking cat.

This would be a lot more fun to talk about if we were in a dorm room doing bong hits.