Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Does what you think of a story match the response?

last reply
39 replies
4.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've noticed in all kinds of cultural activity that artists/writers/musicians etc, are often most proud of works that are not generally considered their greatest.

Now I've discovered this happening to me; stories that I felt most proud of on publication can pass relatively unnoticed, while ones that I wrote on a whim for fun might be awarded a Recommended Read or prove more popular than I would have thought.

Do other authors have similar experiences? What stories are you most proud of, and did the response match your pride? Or have you published stories here where you're totally mystified by the esteem in which they're held?
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Almost always. Many of my personal favorites are some that scored lowest, or were not as well acclaimed by the readers. I feel it's because the story may have been more personalized in m mind than I actually succeeded to to do with the reader. Whatever the cause. I think it happens to most writers eventually.
Lurker
0 likes
I feel the same way. It's happened to me quite a bit.

I think the category of the story also matters. I think that if your work that you're proud of is in a category that doesn't get as much attention (e.g., trans), it may also suffer in terms of views, votes, and comments.

Doesn't explain the RR issue though. Maybe sometimes it's easy to "overwrite" a story you think is really good. RR, however, do seem a bit random given the nature of the "which moderator happened to get to it in what mood" of the way they are awarded, if I understand the system correctly. A couple of my RRs make sense to me. A couple of others don't as much, bc like you I think a lot of my other work is better.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The same thing here. I have written stories that I was sure were going to be hits and they just sit there, while others that I whipped out easily have shot to the top. I can never seem to predict which ones will be "best sellers" and which ones will sit on the shelves. So I just write them and I'm happy that they get read at all! LOL!
Lurker
0 likes
I'm certain that it happens to all of us — stories of which we took greater care often failing to attract a high score, or even appreciative comments whilst others which we dashed off seeming to fare much better.

I agree about categories, and also about RRs, which depend on the degree of sympathy of the particular moderator to what we have written as well as their mood on the day.

In the end what really matters is how we feel about the story, the rest is just personal vanity.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
One of my most popular stories here is Would You Like Ketcup with That? which i wrote as sort of a fun, not so serious piece - i was pretty surprised at the response it got! smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
another thought I had is that maybe the stories that mean the most to us, the ones that perhaps in our minds are the most meaningful and even "literarily excellent," may be missing a spark of fun that the "ooh! I have a really hot idea that I have to get down and write in one sitting" stories have. And readers may well respond to the latter kind very positively.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by PervyStoryteller
I've noticed in all kinds of cultural activity that artists/writers/musicians etc, are often most proud of works that are not generally considered their greatest.

Now I've discovered this happening to me; stories that I felt most proud of on publication can pass relatively unnoticed, while ones that I wrote on a whim for fun might be awarded a Recommended Read or prove more popular than I would have thought.

Do other authors have similar experiences? What stories are you most proud of, and did the response match your pride? Or have you published stories here where you're totally mystified by the esteem in which they're held?

Oh absolutely.

I see it in me as loving the runt of the litter. I know it won't be popular from the go, I know it won't take off - and the reasons why it's not market-wise popular are the reasons I love it so much.

I write religious allegory into a lot of my erotica. Um - maybe 50% carries motifs that are symbolic or religiously charged. The novel version of The Devil's Undertones is 100% allegory - every scene, every chapter, every color, ever cardinal direction [The book is about a girl being seduced by the Devil. When Lara goes to Enly's house she travels north - and then west, away from the rising sun. She's always going at sun-down and only sees beauty in it the sunset - which represents an acceptance of sins. When she ventures there one time and does not want to see him, but is angry with him, she cannot get there - the road keeps going and going. Only when she desires to meet him / when she needs the Devil, is she able to find him. . . . and so on, so forth - so much allegory] . . . but when I marketed it based on that, I found just how few people that appeals to.

Hot professor sex sells very well, though. And thankfully that story is filled with the most hot Latin professor sex known to man. But I love the allegorical story underneath and explain that at the end of the book.

And I'm a glutton for Literary Erotica - the emotional side of sex, not just the get-off side of sex. That's where deep and serious subjects are explores, especially recovery from becoming a widow.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by oceanrunner1974
I think the category of the story also matters. I think that if your work that you're proud of is in a category that doesn't get as much attention (e.g., trans), it may also suffer in terms of views, votes, and comments.

Quote by KnightOfLove
In the end what really matters is how we feel about the story, the rest is just personal vanity.

Yes, category definitely matters. And long serials tend to be subject to diminishing returns. I wrote a sci-fi/fantasy series that went on for eight parts, and though the fantasy element was very muted, it still didn't attract as many reads as I might have liked. But I enjoyed writing it and may actually return to it in some form, just for the pleasure it gave me.

That, I suppose, ties in to personal vanity. There are really two kinds of satisfaction, it seems to me; the satisfaction of writing a story you like, and the satisfaction of knowing you've reached people. Ideally the two would be one and the same, but the fact that they aren't is, I suppose, why I'm so interested in this issue. It's nice to know I'm not alone, though.

Quote by Metilda
I see it in me as loving the runt of the litter. I know it won't be popular from the go, I know it won't take off - and the reasons why it's not market-wise popular are the reasons I love it so much.

As someone who has always had slightly odd tastes, not really able to embrace the stuff critics like, nor the really popular, I can relate to this. Some stuff you just know is only going to have limited appeal, but it might just be even more important to publish it for precisely that reason.

As regards the "randomness" of RR's. I don't mind that so much. All taste is in the end inherently subjective. I've studied literature, so I know exactly what is "supposed" to mark out "good" literature from "bad", but when you've read enough conflicting opinions of books, it's difficult to resist the suspicion that most critics are merely dressing up their prejudices in the accepted jargon of their discipline. At least with the award of RR's you know that things like mood and personal preference play a part, which is in its way more honest.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
This could almost be an axiom for writers and artists in general. It mystifies me what is going to be popular. Fifty Shades of Grey, for example. WTF?? I can aim for popularity, like I did with Arianrhod, and come close to the mark, but I consider it far from my best work, which often goes un-noticed. I find it curious that my most recent stories have all received RR's and an EP, but my earlier stuff, which I consider every bit as good (or better!) was completely ignored for critical acclaim. Does it mean that I'm pandering now when I write, and before I was just writing to please myself? Scary thought, artistically speaking. Or... is "art" truly just whatever panders to popular taste?
Υπηρέτης της Αφροδίτης
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
This could almost be an axiom for writers and artists in general. It mystifies me what is going to be popular. Fifty Shades of Grey, for example. WTF?? I can aim for popularity, like I did with Arianrhod, and come close to the mark, but I consider it far from my best work, which often goes un-noticed. I find it curious that my most recent stories have all received RR's and an EP, but my earlier stuff, which I consider every bit as good (or better!) was completely ignored for critical acclaim. Does it mean that I'm pandering now when I write, and before I was just writing to please myself? Scary thought, artistically speaking. Or... is "art" truly just whatever panders to popular taste?
Our earlier work is some of the best material I've ever read, and of course I'm not entirely unbiased in thinking that. I am I suppose, somewhat proud of the Sapphic work, and still believe it deserves far greater acclaim than it has received. It's not well suited for this site though, for a number of reasons, one of them the being word length. Another is complexity of plot, and the fact that most readers have no knowledge of the myths and times the work is placed in. I am well aware that from my own point of view, reading a lot of text on a computer screen is undesirable, it's tiring on the eyes and most online readers have a short attention span, and will tire before reading and comprehending the plot lines.
In the world's harsh wear and tear many a very sincere attachment is slowly obliterated.

Είμαι ταξιδιώτης τόσο στο χρόνο όσο και στο διάστημα
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by sprite
One of my most popular stories here is Would You Like Ketchup with That? which i wrote as sort of a fun, not so serious piece - i was pretty surprised at the response it got! smile

Everyone loves ketchup. But personally I can't stand ketchup on eggs.
Lurker
0 likes
I think many of my poems don't get a lot of response , only because I don't muddy the waters with four letter words.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Buz

Kate does that with her scrambled eggs - personally, i think it's weird. silly

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Prolific Writer
0 likes
I have written some stories that do really well and I don't think they are that great. Other times, I written some things that are just quick little stories that have the best results. There are definitely categories that do really well here.

I think the worst categories are love stories, mature and straight sex. I find those are the worst categories on most sites that don't do very well at all.

Cuckold and Taboo are very hot categories.

I do think that if you have a fan base and your stories generate views you will get your stories read.

Hugs,
Mysteria
xo
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by Buz

I don't like ketchup...I did like Sprites story though.

My best story last time I checked was a short story I put hardly any effort into and it took me about an hour or so to write.
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Lurker
0 likes
What a great question!

I'm new to this writing thing, and sometimes the words just flow from my mind through my fingertips to the screen. Most of those stories seem to get the best response.

When I struggle with a project, put it away, then come back to it, I don't seem to have as much positive feedback. Even if I feel I've solved the issues I was wrestling with.

Ketchup on eggs is just gross. Salsa on the other hand, yummy.

G
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
When I started submitting in the summer I was cranking out on average a story per week. Some seemed to gain some attention, and others were mostly ignored. But I enjoyed writing all of them. I'm probably my own biggest fan.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
I find it curious that my most recent stories have all received RR's and an EP, but my earlier stuff, which I consider every bit as good (or better!) was completely ignored for critical acclaim. Does it mean that I'm pandering now when I write, and before I was just writing to please myself? Scary thought, artistically speaking. Or... is "art" truly just whatever panders to popular taste?

Quote by Melissa999
I am well aware that from my own point of view, reading a lot of text on a computer screen is undesirable, it's tiring on the eyes and most online readers have a short attention span, and will tire before reading and comprehending the plot lines.

Speaking from a general point of view, I'm thinking that different "art" forms are very different. In music artists tend to be at their best early on, when youthful enthusiasm triumphs over technical deficiencies. Writing is not like that, and it's entirely possible that some writers are considered to improve as they hone their technique and becoming better at crafting plots and so forth. I'm not entirely convinced that this is an accurate assessment. If you look at how critics evaluate authors (indeed musicians), if someone's reputation precedes them it goes an awful long way to granting their work more favourable reviews than it sometimes merits, and something of that might be applicable to Lush, that a reputation (or a critical mass) needs to built before RR's are awarded on a regular basis.

It's also possible to subconsciously adopt a style when writing that one knows works - i.e. is favourably received by others. Even if one does write to please oneself, if that was all one wanted, why publish at all? Publication is after all to offer a story to others' scrutiny and judgement, and it's only natural to take pleasure in appreciative feedback. We live in a world where "art" is often viewed in opposition to "popular" - at least by critics - but it's a problematic dichotomy because it brings up this exact question: For whom is one writing? Yes, obviously one writes because it gives oneself pleasure, but there is always an audience too.

It's not an easy issue to sort out, and I don't want to write an essay, so I'll stop here, except to say that the point about reading from a screen is very well made, and I'm as guilty as hell of not taking this into consideration.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I usually can't predict which of my stories will receive the most critical acceptance. I've had seven stories that received Editor's Pick awards but certainly could not predict that beforehand on any of them. I often do have a better idea of which ones will receive the most views/reads. The category you're writing in has a lot to do with that. Some categories are much more popular than others.

I've written a couple of stories in the Humor category and know beforehand that they will not receive near as many views as my other stories. But I may have had more fun writing those two stories than any others.

I've also found score is not a great indication of how good my story is or any story here for that matter.

When I first started writing here I was just telling stories. Since I've been here I've learned to write and each time I do I push myself hard to get even better. One reason I started writing was to conquer my dyslexia. I know I have a long way to go to become the writer I aim to be.

And writing is also kind of like sex, just pleasing yourself all the time is masturbation, once you learn to make love with words you are pleasing others.
Head Nurse
0 likes
I don't try to predict the response.

I wrote Sandcastles as a quick story for someone I care about a lot, just hoping to make her week better. I didn't actually expect it to be well liked by anyone else. When it received an Editor's pick I was very surprised that it was that highly regarded.

I wrote Syncopation (with Milik) to try something different. I really enjoyed it and am proud of the story. Sadly, very few people read it.

Some are easy to predict what will be popular: raunchy fun stories always are popular with the masses. Somehow, they seem the least interesting to write.
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
Yeah, me too. Special Assistance and Respite are probably the stories I'm most proud of, but in terms of reads, they're nestled in the back of the herd. My two most popular stories, Sleeping Over and Naughty Girl, aren't my best effort and don't have the critical recognition of Recommended Reads.

I thought categories might have something to do with it, and maybe to some extent that's true. But a very clever friend recently pointed out to me that the title probably has something to do with the popularity of a story. I'll test that out with my next few stories and see what happens.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
A true artist's work comes from the heart (or the head) and they don't give a flying fuck about the public's opinion of it. Many of the worlds great artists did not gain recognition while they were alive, receiving no personal gain, from their work. That being said, public praise and acceptance are important as well. We all, secretly or otherwise, like being praised for what we do, and, we gravitate towards that end. There are two schools of thought on the subject: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" and "You will never grow in your craft without going outside your comfort zone." Does that mean, we should pander to the public? Only if you need to sell, and that is a personal decision.

As for me, I have found that those of my works that I like best, have been, for the most part, well received, but do not necessarily have the highest grades.
0 likes
I kind of know what the OP is saying. I certainly have a couple favorites among my stories that don't seem to get much love from others ("The Professor" has a, to me, surprisingly low score and view count). And a couple of my RRs were unexpected. I thought the stories were good and I liked them, but I did not think they were THAT good (but, happily, other mods thought otherwise). OTOH, a couple of my successes were entirely expected; stories I liked that others did, too (e.g. "Summer Storm", my latest).
Una chica rubia caliente
0 likes

This is a very interesting observation. I have read some fantastic stories here which have received very little attention and some RR stories that I found vapid and unrealistic, and even silly. I doubt that there is much of a uniform standard for the RR rating among the moderators, and for my part I am not likely to read a story simply because it is an RR. I am always pleasantly surprised to uncover a hidden gem.
Lurker
0 likes
I am a real rookie (2 stories) but have discovered this already. Submitted my very best story - ignored. Knocked something simple out and submitted half heartedly - nice comments. I have a hobby artist friend who actually makes money from his art. This is unheard of. He paints quaint country cottages and churches and sells them in minutes. He regards them as boring rubbish but it pays for all his materials for the stuff he likes.
Lurker
0 likes
It's hard, once you've posted a certain number of stories to the site, not to get a decent sense of what gets attention and even harder not to let it sway you too much away from the stories you want to tell.

Of course there are other reasons why stories do and don't get attention. A couple of weeks ago I posted what I thought was an excellent story. However, it got approved in a flood of new stories, and it was off the front page in hours. Not much attention. Some of my regular readers voted on it and gave it nice comments, but very few views, and fewer votes than usual.

Yesterday, on the other hand, I had double good fortune with a story (Snow Day). It was awarded an RR. Perhaps more importantly, it was the top story on the front page for *hours*. Even when it got bumped from that position, there have been few enough stories approved lately that more than 24 hours later, it's still fairly high on the front page. That story has been racking up views, votes, and comments in a way that the other one did not.

I think the first one is at least as good as Snow Day, but for obvious "logistical" reasons it has not garnered as much attention.

It's not a huge deal to *me.* I know in my heart that it's comparable, but I think the newer story has something like 5x as many views.

Some of it's just the luck of the draw.

Shameless plug, the "other" story is called National Pastime. Give it a whirl if you're interested and let me know what you think https://www.lushstories.com/stories/historical/national-pastime.aspx)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
This gives me something to think about when my stories just sit there. I'll remember why I write to begin with when something isn't as well received as I thought it might be. Just because I think it's great doesn't mean anyone else will. Thanks!
Madam Carol
0 likes

I think this is true of most authors. I read a lot of stories that are RR but I think mediocre. Then there are ones I read that have no awards that are fabulous. I guess that means beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is more to stories than grammar. A creative concept wins me every time.