Login

Formatting

last reply
4 replies
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I have a question. I am not sure if this is the right spot to post it. I writing a story, and my question is if I am writing an email in the story is it best to write it in email form? Example: Subject: then Dear or To X or if you are writing in first person can you say I received an email from X? If X replies do you do it in email form as well? Example: Reply: To M or no? I keep changing it, and I don't know what is the proper way. This will be my first story I will be submitting, and I am very nervous.
Lurker
0 likes
Well to be honest - most times when someone uses emails the to/from doesn't really matter. That can be covered in a narrative. But in some stories like Fifty Shades of Grey - it matters a lot because that content changes and carries a lot of story with it (names, jokes, etc).

So - if it's made to be interest, use it.
If it's dull and tells nothing other than to/from - don't use it.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by KuriousBaby
I have a question. I am not sure if this is the right spot to post it. I writing a story, and my question is if I am writing an email in the story is it best to write it in email form? Example: Subject: then Dear or To X or if you are writing in first person can you say I received an email from X? If X replies do you do it in email form as well? Example: Reply: To M or no? I keep changing it, and I don't know what is the proper way. This will be my first story I will be submitting, and I am very nervous.

First off, don't be nervous. easy to say, i know (btw, some of the more experienced writers here still get nervous when submitting a story - you're in good company). Just give it your best and, if there are issues, we will explain them to you and give you to the tools to work through them.

secondly, there's not really one set way of doing it - it's all up to you, style wise - some people go for ultra realism, ie, they write out the email just as it would look if an email was actually sent. that said, my preference would be this, were i to be writing such a story.

Janet opened up the email from James and read carefully through it, her heart beating nervously against her ribs.

Dear Janet, it read. I really enjoyed our time at the circus last night. I'd love to get together again.

She sighed happily, recalling the cotton candy they'd shared. Taking a deep breath, she typed out a response, and hit send before she could change her mind.

Dear James, you make me feel like singing on a hillside like Julie Andrews in that sound of music movie. xoxo, Janet.

Then, that out of the way, she went back to teaching Trixie, her pet elephant, to waltz.

- hope that helps smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Thank You. It is a love story that develop through email only. Basically the story is back to back email and as well using first person on how she feels when she reads the emails the she reply' back to him and vise versa. I guess yes, a bit like Fifty Shades of Grey except the characters never seen each other.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
I kind of like the idea of telling a story through a series of e-mail exchanges along with the e-mail format:

To:___
Subject:_____
Date:___

Dear XXXXX,

etc. etc.

Yours Truly,

XXXXX

It would take a bit of skill to do it really well, but it sounds like a cool idea.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.