No one cares about the presidents dog.

last reply
10 replies
1.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Let me say upfront, I am NOT a writer, To claim I was would be like my Grandmother claiming she was a Chef. Oh, she was a fabulous cook, one of some renown in the tiny little town she lived in. She could make the most delicious of meals, but it takes a deeper understanding of the culinary arts to earn the title of Chef.

Similarly, I lack the technical knowledge of grammar, spelling and punctuation that real writers have mastered. Frank Lee is a writer, and one who has probably forgotten more on the subject than I’ll ever know.

What I am is a passable storyteller. This leads to the question, what has that to do with the presidents dog? To answer that, let me tell you a story.

Back when I was in high school, so many years ago, each student in my history class was given an assignment. We were instructed to write a short biography on a specific leader. Each of us was assigned a different president to write about. Mine was Theodore Roosevelt. Next to me, was a girl named Maribel who was assigned Taft.

Am I digressing? Well, that is rather the point. You see, within the first two paragraphs, Maribel made reference to the presidents dog. From that point on, her report became a discussion of the various and humorous anecdotes that surrounded this particular canine. It was interesting and fun, and not at all what she was supposed to be writing about.

As it happened, our teacher was a descendant of Howard Taft. Consequently, she couldn't resist poking holes in the report in front of the entire class. Her comments were not meant to be harmful or embarrassing, but poor Maribel became the brunt of a rather long running joke.

The point I'm beating around is, the details matter when you are writing a story. They are critical for creating a mood, and for setting the stage for the act that follows. They connect the reader, and allow him or her to feel what you want them to feel. In this way, you can draw them in and get them emotionally invested in your story.

The problem is, the longer your story is, the more likely some of us are to go into too great a detail on those little bits of ambience. They cease to be supports for your story and become a distraction to the reader. If this continues, the reader will lose interest and begin to skim, or far worse, start skipping ahead.

You must remember that any such detail, background or nuance must have a purpose. It must say something important that you want to say, and must somehow segue into the rest of the story. When that happens, when you get lost in those details, readers click away, or worse, finish and give one of those dreaded 3’s of 4’s.

How you do this is a matter of reading the story yourself, and recognizing when you are becoming bored. If, at any time, you feel like skipping ahead, rest assured your readers will. Know what your concept is, and follow it throughout the story, Tell the parts that enhance it and try to make it come alive. Just remember, no one really gives a shit about the presidents damn dog.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Actually Milik, you've made excellent points on story writing. A short story can easily get too wordy, just too damn long, killing the reader's attention span.

When I first saw your post though, I thought of this that just recently happened... some wacko got caught plotting to kidnap President Obama's dog, Bo.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/north-dakota-man-arrested-after-saying-he-planned-abduct-obama-n492871

It looks like Bo does a good job of keeping the President in shape...

PS. Milik, you were being too modest about your writing. People, check out Milik's stories. 10, yes TEN, Editor's Picks, plus an Outstanding Series Award and more blue thumb Recommended Reads than I wanted to count.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes

Well, that was predictable. Never share the stage with kids or dogs.
Lurker
0 likes
DOG

(A POLITICAL poem...)

Between Super Pac money and bribes,
Costly lectures and dinners and grog...
Just ONE THING matters to me when I vote...
"DO I LIKE THE CANDIDATE'S DOG???"

Personally, I'm more of a cat fan,
I don't like lions or cows or hogs...
But in considering the next President
I ALWAYS LOOK AT THEIR DOG...

In the whirlwind world of politics,
Facts obscured in fog...
I...

(Oh fuck it, this isn't as funny as I thought it was...)

xx SF
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
One of my last stories was totally a president's dog kind of story. It's one of my least popular stories - I knew it would be - but I like it quite a bit (as I'm sure the president is an admirer of his own dog).

But the best advice was from Faulkner: "In writing, you must kill your darlings." All those amazing pieces of prose and clever word play, the way you've spent several hundred words describing a sunset or an erection, as wonderful as the writing may be, if it doesn't move the plot along in the right direction at a steady pace, murder those babies. Edit. Trim. Tighten. The story will be better for it.

(But save the cadavers, - you never know when you might want to harvest the body parts and slip them into another piece).

Endnote1: All things in moderation, including moderation. Nicholson Baker once wrote a successful novel called the mezzanine that describes one man's journey up an escalator during his lunch break. David Foster Wallace regularly spiraled out over small details, adding footnotes to his footnotes in describing them. But recognize - You're not DFW, and the typical reader at this site wouldn't give a fuck if you were.

Endnote2: No actual babies were murdered in the making of this post.

Footnote to Endnote1: Thinking of what the erotic fiction of DFW might read like is amusing the hell out of me.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by Just_A_Guy_You_Know
One of my last stories was totally a president's dog kind of story. It's one of my least popular stories - I knew it would be - but I like it quite a bit (as I'm sure the president is an admirer of his own dog).

But the best advice was from Faulkner: "In writing, you must kill your darlings." All those amazing pieces of prose and clever word play, the way you've spent several hundred words describing a sunset or an erection, as wonderful as the writing may be, if it doesn't move the plot along in the right direction at a steady pace, murder those babies. Edit. Trim. Tighten. The story will be better for it.

(But save the cadavers, - you never know when you might want to harvest the body parts and slip them into another piece).

Endnote1: All things in moderation, including moderation. Nicholson Baker once wrote a successful novel called the mezzanine that describes one man's journey up an escalator during his lunch break. David Foster Wallace regularly spiraled out over small details, adding footnotes to his footnotes in describing them. But recognize - You're not DFW, and the typical reader at this site wouldn't give a fuck if you were.

Endnote2: No actual babies were murdered in the making of this post.

Footnote to Endnote1: Thinking of what the erotic fiction of DFW might read like is amusing the hell out of me.

The Linebacker
0 likes
The President's dog is seventh in line for the presidency, as long as the dog was born on US soil and is equal to 35 years old or older in dog years.
Sophisticate
0 likes
Quote by Buz
The President's dog is seventh in line for the presidency, as long as the dog was born on US soil and is equal to 35 years old or older in dog years.

Ted Cruz has a Bijon Frise that was born in Canada, so there is talk that Trump will sue to ensure that this dog will not have precedence over his pug.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by principessa

Ted Cruz has a Bijon Frise that was born in Canada, so there is talk that Trump will sue to ensure that this dog will not have precedence over his pug.