For fucks sake (0 votes) 0%
For fucks sakes (0 votes) 0%
For fuckses sakeses (0 votes) 0%
It doesn't matter if it's consistent (1 vote) 7%
I've never thought about it before (2 votes) 13%
I need cookies, FFS (1 vote) 7%
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Opinions, please. When you use the term "for fuck's sake", how do you write it?

I've added a poll.

I get so confused, although I say it a lot, and some of my characters would say it more if I wasn't confused about it. I abhor abbreviations, but "FFS" is one I will use. I've been thinking about it for far too long now.

Is it singular, in that there's only one fuck with one sake? Or, when there are a lot of fucks, do they all pile in together and share just the one sake, or do they all have their own single sake and tie them together? Is it indiscriminate, and the apostrophes bugger off and the fucks just bung an "s" on the sake to make it look matchy-uppy?

I know it doesn't matter, but I want to know how you write it, if you use it, please.

Thanks.

Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
0 likes
I don't know that I've ever written it in a story. I agree that option 1 is correct. The sake belongs to the fuck. I suppose the plural (fucks' sake) might be right, too, but I've always seen it singular (fuck's).
Prolific Writer
0 likes
We don't really say it in america. I have only heard it here from people in the UK....

Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
It's a single fuck, who's sake is being discussed.

I actually hear that quite a bit from my hipster friends. I live in GA, so maybe it's becoming more common?

Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
I hear it, and I'm no hipster smile.

When I say/hear it, I don't see It as possessive, or plural. I personalty would write, "for fucks sake." But I voted "It doesn't matter, as long as you are consistent" because that is what would matter most to me as a reader.
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I don't think I've used this in stories, but if I have, it wasn't often. However, it is a term I use often when speaking. I usually say "Oh, for fuck's sake" sometimes without the oh. From where I'm from (America) and the part I am from (New England) the term is used often. I didn't know it wasn't a common term.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Though I've never written it, the first is the most correct. Fuck is being used as a possessive noun, so, the sake belongs to fuck. "For fuck's sake," (my first time writing this) means the 'sake' belongs to fuck.

I can't imagine this being said in a plural format... but if someone can show me how they would use it in a plural... then it would be "for fucks's sake." I'm all about learning.

And yes... I know the awesome RavenStar & the lovely Poppet have said pretty much the same thing... so I'm going to say what I say to my students... "Great minds think alike."
Troublemaker
0 likes
I want cookies...and they better be gingerbread
Lurker
0 likes
ffs is coarse language. "Stone me" is less demanding