Writing first person from a perspective not your own

last reply
23 replies
3.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
A little background: I was TAing for a (creative) writing class and somebody (a straight white male) chose to write from the perspective of a trans lesbian (is that the right term? Male became female and was a lesbian after becoming female.) Student got a TON of flack for writing from the perspective, on the grounds that there was no way he could understand that position and therefore should not even consider writing from it. As I was reading it, I did not have a problem particularly with writing from an alternate perspective, however the writing was garbage, just not fun to read poorly written et cetera. But it got me thinking, what is the social acceptability of writing something like that. Not even necessarily as different as that, but say a straight male writing from the perspective of a gay male or straight female et cetera. Is it socially acceptable to do this? If it is, can it be done well? I mean obviously it can be done well, plenty of pros write from first person perspectives not their own in experiences that are not their own. I'm not 100% sure what exactly I'm asking there but any feedback would be helpful, both for the roughly 600 drafts I'm considering submitting to this site, TAing and the future in general.
And I've only begun fucking with you people.
At the end of the day, it's all math.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
I think that you answered your own question, professional writer's do it all the time. The student simply failed to do it well.
If you are going to give something like that a shot and it is beyond your familiarity, research it. So much is available now.
People share their experiences freely. A little imagination and empathy can go a long way. If you are not going to dedicate
the time and care it is going to take to do it well, then don't bother. That goes for anything outside of your personal comfort
zone of knowledge. What would not be socially acceptable is to misrepresent the lifestyle or the characters, to demean them
with ineptness. No one wants to see their culture misrepresented. I find that offensive personally. But keep in mind that even
within a labelled group there are individuals. Each individual's experience is different. It would be hard for someone to say
that's not possible if the writer has done a good job of telling his story. The reader feels whatever the writer wants them to
feel and beyond--if the writer is good.

Don't reach further than you are willing to stretch.

The roughly 600 drafts?!
? A True Story ?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
637 actually. Most (approximately 630 of them) are either rough concepts or marked with a gigantic DO NOT SUBMIT ANYWHERE EVER on the file name, title and every page.
And I've only begun fucking with you people.
At the end of the day, it's all math.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
We worry too much about what's "socially acceptable", particularly these days. You can get bogged down writing practically anything by worrying about if your characters perpetuate stereotypes and a whole bunch of other stuff. Basically, people are individuals with their own motivations, desires &c, and thus characters in fiction need to be so as well. To suggest that you can only write from "within" your own particular sex/ethnicity/sexuality is basically to deny the commonalities of existence, and the possibility of empathy. Moreover, to put yourself in somebody else's shoes is a vital component of social intercourse - so to suggest that it shouldn't be done is just plain stupid.

As regards the 1st person thing. Even 3rd person writing requires an ability to get inside a character, and from there it's a short step to the 1st person narrative.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl
A little imagination and empathy can go a long way. If you are not going to dedicate the time and care it is going to take to do it well, then don't bother.

Great advice.

The best characters I've written are generally just alternate versions of myself in a different set of circumstances. What if I was a lesbian? Or Black? Or in a wheel chair? Or rich? Or 90 years old? Or whatever. What would life be like? How would the world treat me, and how might I react to it? Since I live my own psychology daily, creating a believable character is not too much of a stretch, usually.

If it's not based on myself, then a character will be based on people I know well enough to understand how they think and behave. If I write a gay character, it's helpful to have vicariously experienced a gay lifestyle through my gay friends, even if I've never directly experienced it myself. In a way, if you're a fiction writer, life and the world around you are all research for stories. However, if you are going to shut yourself off from a certain part of the world (e.g. 'the gays') then you're really limiting your ability to write about it convincingly. Therefore, it's in an author's best interests to go out and get to know as many different kinds of people and experiences as possible.

But if you must start with a stereotype, you need to find a way to break the character free from that stereotype and humanize them in some way. That's what Jenji Kohan does with her characters on Weeds or OITNB. They're so stereotypical, they're borderline-racist. But then she plays with the stereotypes, adding specific details, quirks, and idiosyncrasies (usually endearing ones, but sometimes disturbing or pathetic ones as well) that make the audience question the validity of the stereotypes, while at the same time providing the character with more dimension and depth, until they're no longer a 'type,' but become unique and interesting. I think this takes more skill to do well than basing characters on yourself and people you know.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The attitude you're (OP) describing is naive at its best, and bigoted at its worst. While it may be well-intentioned, in the end it only serves to further the division between human beings. Poetry or prose - showing or telling - a writer's job is hopelessly simple: observe and report. Manipulate the readers' attention so they notice what you want them to and try to stay the fuck out of their way as much as possible. If there's any truth or music at home in the writer's heart or mind, it will come through sooner or later. But in any writing workshop, there are rarely more than a couple of people who will still be writing, say, five or ten years later when style, technique, sensibility and vision finally begin to merge. But then again, how many of us can really stand to take this shit this seriously? Fuck it. Just use whatever imagination you have and tell somebody a fucking story.

Here's what I didn't learn even in the best of the workshops I once took part in: that anguish, disappointment, joy, lust, yearning, fear and the desire to be loved and accepted are universal. It doesn't matter where you're from, what language you speak, what color your skin is or how much money you make. It doesn't matter if you have boobs or a penis...or wish you had boobs or a penis. We're so fucking hell-bent on pointing out everything that makes us different we can't even remember how much the same we ultimately are.

If someone told me I only had permission to write about white, nearsighted American males with adjustment issues I would fall dead on the spot from boredom.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I hope the 'ton of flack' didn't come from the writing instructor! Good writers put themselves (in first-person narrative) into characters totally different from themselves all the time. If writers only write from their own life experiences, literature would be a pretty dull discipline. Good writers RESEARCH everything they write about, until they can identify and empathize with whatever type of character they choose to expose to the reader. Who cares what is socially acceptable in literature? Great literature is always a challenge to societal norms, not conformity to them. If a student submits bad writing, then the crux of the critique should be creative failure, not failure to conform to social norms!
Lurker
0 likes
Nice post, Nice replies...

(I FAMOUSLY love this process stuff...)

Writing (unless you are relating an ACTUAL experience in first/second person) is very much akin to the ACTING process...

An ACTOR will tell you that in order to INHABIT a character, one needs to research, to KNOW what you're talking about, but then also to EMOTIONALLY FEEL and INTERPRET AND TRANSMIT that character to an audience.

A WRITER has to DOUBLY do this!

(All good writers do this, of course... Thomas Harris has MOST LIKELY never trepanned a person and fried and eaten their brain...)

I write A LOT in character. (Even when I'm basing my writing on ACTUAL experience, I still conjure an ELEMENT of imaginary character.)

I've written as a woman, (straight...) as various men, (all straight, mostly...) as historical characters, as people INCREDIBLY different in character to me... I think I've MOSTLY carried it off!!!

But here's a thing...

I've NEVER written as a BLACK character... I've NEVER written as an LBTG (Gay) character... I've never written a BDSM story... Why is that?

It's because AS GOOD A WRITER AS I AM... (that would be 7/10 on my BEST day...) I know my limits...

Here's the difference... I COULD write a story about an Axe-Murderer, but you know what, WHO WOULD KNOW IF I GOT IT ASSWAYS??? (Only other axe-murderes!!!)

But if I write as a BLACK character and get it WRONG then not only have I proved myself an idiot, but I might possibly offend and alienate readers who would probably NOT say, "Whut the fuck does this Natural Frozen Yogurt mothafucka think he's a-doin'??????" *IRONY!!!!!* (But you get the point...)

Write What You KNOW is an excellent maxim. But STRETCH that too...

(I once wrote a story about a Serial Killer who dressed as a pest-exterminator (overalls/net mask etc...) because it made him impossible to identify... My thought process was, "WHY would people answer the door to this guy???) Well, they would if he explained he was there to check for wasp's nests... It was PLAUSIBLE...)

INHABIT YOUR CHARACTERS to the best of your ability. KNOW WHY they do what they do. Be able, through your skill to TRANSLATE and IMPACT (?) them in the mind of your reader. (A character will frequently ILLUSTRATE who they are simply by how they SPEAK...) Also, what the character LEAVES UNSAID can be as telling as any amount of description or dialogue..

With regard to the ESSENTIAL process of (self) EDITING, I have to say that in my opinion after 2/3 edits it's as good as it's going to be... (600+ edits is simply an excuse to avoid committing to the writing...) This is why EDITORS are professionals sought after by writers. (It's a different discipline...)

Nice post. Made me THINK!

xx SF
Lurker
0 likes
So . . . the idea here is that, according to some people, I cannot write anything other than views from a character that's:

White
35 years old
Big breasted
Blond haired
Blue eyed
Straight with bisexual interests

I'm a walking stereotype for Christ's sake . . . I'm A CLICHE.

Just how stringent are these guidelines? Do i need to delete and unpublish all works that violate these guidelines? [yes - heavy sarcasm]. Or is it really okay if my characters are different than me in any regard?

People tend to hold knee-jerk views without really thinking of the consequence and implications.
Madam Carol
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl
I think that you answered your own question, professional writer's do it all the time. The student simply failed to do it well.
If you are going to give something like that a shot and it is beyond your familiarity, research it. So much is available now.
People share their experiences freely. A little imagination and empathy can go a long way. If you are not going to dedicate
the time and care it is going to take to do it well, then don't bother. That goes for anything outside of your personal comfort
zone of knowledge. What would not be socially acceptable is to misrepresent the lifestyle or the characters, to demean them
with ineptness. No one wants to see their culture misrepresented. I find that offensive personally. But keep in mind that even
within a labelled group there are individuals. Each individual's experience is different. It would be hard for someone to say
that's not possible if the writer has done a good job of telling his story. The reader feels whatever the writer wants them to
feel and beyond--if the writer is good.

Don't reach further than you are willing to stretch.

The roughly 600 drafts?!

Good advice. I've submitted a few stories but they have been autobiographical. I am working on my first story writing first person from a male perspective. I am using broad guesses as to a mans point of view. My first draft I had some one read and they said it was good but I feminized the character. it is harder than I thought.
0 likes
I don't understand why there would be an uproar over a creative writing student writing in the first person from a completely different person's POV. It should have received accolades--the difficulty of pulling off such a feat and pulling it off well is fairly substantial.

I've written from all POV's, my main fault is a) that I tend to always describe the female protagonist physically as more or less identical to my actual appearance and b) that I always tend to not be terribly imaginative in the description of a setting, generally putting (sometimes down to the actual year and winery from which a character's wine comes) the setting into someplace with which I am intimately familiar. My house, a hotel, whatever.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Troublemaker
0 likes
If the student was getting a "ton of flack" from other students I think they are missing the whole point of being creative. As an inexperienced writer I recently tried to write a story from this perspective thinking it would be a great learning experience and challenge. In my opinion great writers can use the smallest spark or experience and turn out something that is far beyond their own personal experience. Whether we weave in details from our own lives or create from thin air at the end of the day good writing is simply that; good writing.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by HotWife4U

Good advice. I've submitted a few stories but they have been autobiographical. I am working on my first story writing first person from a male perspective. I am using broad guesses as to a mans point of view. My first draft I had some one read and they said it was good but I feminized the character. it is harder than I thought.

Thanks. Sometimes I write things that make sense, but most of the time no one understands what the hell I'm talking about--including myself.

Men are not really that complicated (sorry guys). Yet, they can be more complicated than any woman. I like having a male viewpoint in a story because they are interesting as hell, and I love them so much. You are married to one (he's undeniably masculine but sensitive too) and I'm sure you have had a (purely platonic) variety of different types of relationships with men. Pull from what you know, research what you don't. Keep in mind that the man or woman should fit the story. Their personality is like a prop in a play. Props are important and can change everything, they lead the audience. But if the prop is distracting, sticks out, doesn't fit the play, it has to go. The play is more important than the prop. If the character is sensitive and female-like in any way because it gives depth to the story line, then do that. If your story calls for a viral, dominant type of male, then do that. I'm far from being any type of expert, I can only share what I believe when it comes to that type of challenge.

Too, you are comfortable with autobiographical stories. You can become a victim of them too. Being empathetic with a character and writing about yourself are two different things. If a character is not you, then you have to think past yourself. I can see you feminizing your male because you are all woman and you think like one. But, you need to separate yourself from the character and ask yourself what that person would do--not what you would do.

I enjoy you, I look forward to seeing how you work it out. Your first "this isn't me" story, it's like popping your cherry.

Quote by LYFBUZ
If the student was getting a "ton of flack" from other students I think they are missing the whole point of being creative. As an inexperienced writer I recently tried to write a story from this perspective thinking it would be a great learning experience and challenge. In my opinion great writers can use the smallest spark or experience and turn out something that is far beyond their own personal experience. Whether we weave in details from our own lives or create from thin air at the end of the day good writing is simply that; good writing.

I agree with you.

The thing is academic creative writers can get lost in being "academic" and not truly creative. I remember my graduate Creative Writing Forum (keep in mind I applied for poetry and have no idea why they thought I was a better writer of fiction), I hated their asses and they hated me. If I heard one more "well written" story about sitting in a damn coffee shop or a leaf falling from a tree, I was going to shoot myself. This one girl wrote a 10 page story on Kudzu. I'm not lying. To me their stuff was just boring. But, they loved patting each other on the back. That's because they were alike. I never was a grammar or structure fiend. Because of that, they would tear me a new one every time I was up. But, my professor loved the crap out of me. He was my one saving grace. I would cry in the stairwell after a critique circle. He said that I could tell a story. That's why I was there.

I wrote this story one time about a girl (14 or 15) that had a boyfriend (19 or 20). They lived in a small southern town, in low income housing that she had because she already had a baby--for him. He was cruel to her, high most of the time on weed or alcohol. Well he was messed up one night, violent and put a glass, grape Nehi pop bottle in her vagina. He managed to shoot at the bottle. The damage it did to her body was unbelievable. My story was from the viewpoint of the middle aged nurse that treated her in the hospital. She was highly upset because the doctor said, "We don't have to worry about her having anymore kids."

Do you know that they spent two hours dissecting the reality of such a story. Besides that none of them knew what a Nehi pop was. That was an issue. But, I knew that a 14 year old would prefer a Nehi grape pop or Jungle Juice to a Pepsi or Coke. Who cares? But, you cannot say anything during these "classes". You can't defend one thing or comment. You just sit and let 12 people rip your heart out. They, as a group, decided that I was being unrealistic. People just don't do things like that.

Well the thing was, in a little town in South Carolina this 14 year old girl let her boyfriend shoot at a pop bottle (no indication of what type of pop bottle--as if that mattered) while it was inserted in her vagina. He walked away Scott free, had to go to a rehab center. I always wondered what would make a girl, no matter how inexperienced and insecure, sit still while a man does that? What type of man does that and how could she have been with him beforehand? What type of jury only sends the man to rehab after such an act? The why fascinated me. So I tried to work it out, come up with a why.

I cried and cried because after that everyone treated me like I was a freak that didn't belong there with my smut story. Seriously.

So my point is, write what the fuck you like. Write what you would want to read. Academia can ruin the creativity within a person. Believe me, I'm always trying to get my students to think outside the box. It's hard as hell for some. If someone writes a story about a leaf, it better be a leaf from another planet that is interesting as hell or I'm giving it back to have them try again.

I know that I didn't write another story for five years. I changed my major to Comparative Lit. I gave up on writing poetry as well. Then, some lady calls me and wants to publish it in a scholarly journal. She somehow came across my thesis. I was like, kiss my ass.
? A True Story ?
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
I have experimented with writing from the male POV and found some success. My first was a response from a male character from a novel and the class thought it was an interesting take. Even the professor praised me for taking a chance.

With my last piece, a he said/she said, I was smart enough to ask a few men I trusted to look over my story and evaluate my male POV. Each one had different suggestions to help me bring my male's voice to the front without taking away from my writing style. Overall it wasn't shit... but there were a few bugs that needed to be addressed. I was very appreciated to receive their feedback and the end result earned me an RR.

Having someone you trust for honest feedback can do so much to help, especially when you're writing from a POV you don't normally use.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by NymphWriter
I have experimented with writing from the male POV and found some success. My first was a response from a male character from a novel and the class thought it was an interesting take. Even the professor praised me for taking a chance.

With my last piece, a he said/she said, I was smart enough to ask a few men I trusted to look over my story and evaluate my male POV. Each one had different suggestions to help me bring my male's voice to the front without taking away from my writing style. Overall it wasn't shit... but there were a few bugs that needed to be addressed. I was very appreciated to receive their feedback and the end result earned me an RR.

Having someone you trust for honest feedback can do so much to help, especially when you're writing from a POV you don't normally use.

Shameless plug...

Like yours, my latest story "TRUST" deals with a he said/she said scenario. I rewrote a major part to accommodate that. It heightens and clarifies the complexity of the situation and their relationship. Too, it just seemed more fun to do and I liked the sex scene better. ?
? A True Story ?
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl
Shameless plug...

Like yours, my latest story "TRUST" deals with a he said/she said scenario. I rewrote a major part to accommodate that. It heightens and clarifies the complexity of the situation and their relationship. Too, it just seemed more fun to do and I liked the sex scene better. ?

Nothing wrong with a shameless plug... especially with such a talented writer as yourself. I was mistaken by saying my last story was the he said/she said... it was The Bookwork & the Surfer. The Fallon Hotel was a 3rd person POV.

Oh shit... did I just give two shameless plugs?
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by NymphWriter

Oh shit... did I just give two shameless plugs?

Yes you did. You are forgiven because you called me talented.
? A True Story ?
Madam Carol
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl

I agree with you.

The thing is academic creative writers can get lost in being "academic" and not truly creative. I remember my graduate Creative Writing Forum (keep in mind I applied for poetry and have no idea why they thought I was a better writer of fiction), I hated their asses and they hated me. If I heard one more "well written" story about sitting in a damn coffee shop or a leaf falling from a tree, I was going to shoot myself. This one girl wrote a 10 page story on Kudzu. I'm not lying. To me their stuff was just boring. But, they loved patting each other on the back. That's because they were alike. I never was a grammar or structure fiend. Because of that, they would tear me a new one every time I was up. But, my professor loved the crap out of me. He was my one saving grace. I would cry in the stairwell after a critique circle. He said that I could tell a story. That's why I was there.

I wrote this story one time about a girl (14 or 15) that had a boyfriend (19 or 20). They lived in a small southern town, in low income housing that she had because she already had a baby--for him. He was cruel to her, high most of the time on weed or alcohol. Well he was messed up one night, violent and put a glass, grape Nehi pop bottle in her vagina. He managed to shoot at the bottle. The damage it did to her body was unbelievable. My story was from the viewpoint of the middle aged nurse that treated her in the hospital. She was highly upset because the doctor said, "We don't have to worry about her having anymore kids."

Do you know that they spent two hours dissecting the reality of such a story. Besides that none of them knew what a Nehi pop was. That was an issue. But, I knew that a 14 year old would prefer a Nehi grape pop or Jungle Juice to a Pepsi or Coke. Who cares? But, you cannot say anything during these "classes". You can't defend one thing or comment. You just sit and let 12 people rip your heart out. They, as a group, decided that I was being unrealistic. People just don't do things like that.

Well the thing was, in a little town in South Carolina this 14 year old girl let her boyfriend shoot at a pop bottle (no indication of what type of pop bottle--as if that mattered) while it was inserted in her vagina. He walked away Scott free, had to go to a rehab center. I always wondered what would make a girl, no matter how inexperienced and insecure, sit still while a man does that? What type of man does that and how could she have been with him beforehand? What type of jury only sends the man to rehab after such an act? The why fascinated me. So I tried to work it out, come up with a why.

I cried and cried because after that everyone treated me like I was a freak that didn't belong there with my smut story. Seriously.

So my point is, write what the fuck you like. Write what you would want to read. Academia can ruin the creativity within a person. Believe me, I'm always trying to get my students to think outside the box. It's hard as hell for some. If someone writes a story about a leaf, it better be a leaf from another planet that is interesting as hell or I'm giving it back to have them try again.

I know that I didn't write another story for five years. I changed my major to Comparative Lit. I gave up on writing poetry as well. Then, some lady calls me and wants to publish it in a scholarly journal. She somehow came across my thesis. I was like, kiss my ass.

Thank you for the advice. I taught creative writing for elementary and middle school, so you can imagine the subject matter. Write about your summer vacation or your favorite hero. While I was in college I wrote a lot of stories about my life and son. I found that easy. When I had to write about fictional characters it was difficult but I always managed to be top of the class. I remember writing an assignment about Napoleon. I briefly read a short article in an encyclopedia and jotted down some superficial facts. Then... I wrote twenty pages of total BS I made up. Lol. It won a writers clinic. People were asking me where I found out such scandalous facts about him. I just said I had my sources.

Ill submitt my story soon. It might not have enough sex in it for Lush though.
'tis himself!
0 likes
Quote by Ace1047
A little background: I was TAing for a (creative) writing class and somebody (a straight white male) chose to write from the perspective of a trans lesbian (is that the right term? Male became female and was a lesbian after becoming female.) Student got a TON of flack for writing from the perspective, on the grounds that there was no way he could understand that position and therefore should not even consider writing from it. As I was reading it, I did not have a problem particularly with writing from an alternate perspective, however the writing was garbage, just not fun to read poorly written et cetera. But it got me thinking, what is the social acceptability of writing something like that. Not even necessarily as different as that, but say a straight male writing from the perspective of a gay male or straight female et cetera. Is it socially acceptable to do this? If it is, can it be done well? I mean obviously it can be done well, plenty of pros write from first person perspectives not their own in experiences that are not their own. I'm not 100% sure what exactly I'm asking there but any feedback would be helpful, both for the roughly 600 drafts I'm considering submitting to this site, TAing and the future in general.

I believe it should be socially acceptable to write from other points of view, especially if one wants to stretch oneself as a writer. Both the stories I've posted here are from a female POV, and both have received positive comments. Admittedly, this hasn't been all that difficult because I'm writing women who are substantially the female equivalent of me; heterosexual, lusty, well-educated, etc. If I start writing black transwomen, well, I don't expect to do so well.

But that kind of stretch is what a writing workshop is for, so I think your student should get kudos for trying, even if he failed. That's a classic "learning opportunity." Was his other writing as bad as this piece? That should give some indication of whether he's just not a great writer (at this point, anyhow), or if he had over-stretched himself with this attempt.

Incidentally, there's a difference between "flack" and "flak."
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I think this would make for a great story competition. Women writing from a mans perspective and being scored by the men and vice versa. It is a kind of measure of how in tune the author has become to the views and perspectives of the other sex.

In my view I may not be able to fully empathize with the female perspective so writing in first person is more about exploring what I would love them to be thinking during my fantasy.
Orgasm Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by Ace1047

It sounds like the guy should find himself a new class as that is the very basis of creative writing. Let the rest of the class go back to sharing the contents of their dairies as, by their self-imposed constraints, that is all they will ever be able to write.

When you say you've got 600 drafts, does that mean 600 unfinished / unsubmitted stories? If so, stop procrastinating, choose one, finish it, polish it and post it. Repeat.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Apologize for resurrecting this thread that is a few months old. Been away from Lush for a little bit and just saw this.

I am a straight male, and did choose to try and write a couple of stories from a first person female point of view, so wanted to chime in on this. Based on comments and ratings I think it was fairly well received. Personally, I was happy with how the story turned out. https://

If I'm writing fiction I don't want to write me, then it just becomes auto biographical. I want to try and get into the head of someone else and try to figure out what motivates them, what is their thought process, and what might bring them to or into a certain situation.

I will never really know how successful or how realistic I was in getting inside the mind of someone of the opposite sex, but half the fun is trying. Writing fiction is about taking all your life experiences, observed and experienced, throwing them in a blender and projecting it into something new.
0 likes
For my latest, I went a tiny bit out on a limb and wrote from a female first-person viewpoint for the first time (I've had female viewpoint characters in third person narratives before, though). The viewpoint character is a straight, middle-aged, married lady so not a big stretch since I'm a mostly straight, middle-aged, married man, but I did worry about well how I would pull it off. So far, comments are positive (it's a comp entry so I can't see scores yet) and I haven't received any hate mail so I guess I didn't totally botch it up at least. I'd be more reluctant to stretch out into something like a trans lesbian given how little experience I have from either perspective. I have great respect for the trans and lesbian folks that I do know and I would worry a bit about disrespecting them in some way if I did it wrong. Still, I won't say never ever.
Sophisticate
0 likes
I imagine that on a college/university campus the complaint was that this student had appropriated a voice not his own. However, I think that writing is a creative process and that we cannot and should not be limited by whatever demographics we belong to. However it is necessary to research thoroughly to inhabit character of someone who is not at all like you so that your representation of that character is believable and authentic to the reader. On the whole, I think we tend to write from a perspective that feels most comfortable to us whatever gender, sexual orientation, or other factor we are. To write from a male point of view as a female is a leap, for example, if it is to seem plausible to men who read it. I think that talented writers can carry this off, but as I said that it cannot be done without doing a lot of homework first. Writing is, after all, about creativity but has to be rooted in some semblance of reality and not to great a suspension of disbelief.