Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

The basics of BDSM; What is it really all about?

last reply
16 replies
2.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
There are very few absolutes within this lifestyle. How it is lived, has about as many varieties as couples within it. Besides the parole of "Sane, Safe and Consensual" there are few or no absolutes on how to practice BDSM. So what is the lifestyle all about?

There is one core thing that holds true for all the dynamics within BDSM; It involves some sort of power exchange. To put it in a simplified way, one person (the Dom) has power over the other (the sub). But here comes the crucial part; The power should always be GIVEN FREELY by the sub, in the manner decided by the sub. A real Dom will NEVER take or force power from a sub. The sub sets the limits within the relationship and can stop things and ask for the power back within a second. Once the dynamics have been set/decided, the Dom holds power over the sub, but the power should ALWAYS flow from the bottom (the sub) to the top (the Dom). A Dom only uses the power freely given to him/her by the sub based on his/her needs and wants.

It is also important to understand that being a Dom or sub is part of your personality, part of who you are, not a role you play. Much like say your sexual orientation is part of who you are, so is being a Dom or sub.

BDSM isn't about sex, in fact you can have BDSM relationships without any sex at all. However, most BDSM relationships will have a sexual component as most relationships between adults do, whether they are D/s or vanilla.

These are the basics of BDSM as I see it. Without understanding these, it is impossible to know what the lifestyle is about. There are tons of different dynamics in BDSM, but these things holds true regardless. Anyone else have any thoughts on this and how to best explain the lifestyle to those trying to learn about it and understand what BDSM is?
Lurker
0 likes
How To Spot A Dominant

There is no way to spot a Dominant at ten paces. Unfortunately many submissives, and particularly novices, are impressed by these superficial things, making it easy for Dominant fakers. Anyone can learn to swing a flogger, talk in BDSMspeak, and wear 13 pounds of leather; but these do not a Dominant make.
If you want a quality partner you’ll have to take some time and get to know them. In some ways, choosing a good Dominant is similar choosing a good partner in general. In others it’s quite different because of the unique style of our relationships. They key difference is that when we go into subspace, we make ourselves vulnerable in ways that we may never do with a vanilla partner. This makes the D/s relationship far riskier and we must take extra care when choosing partners. Here are some things to look for, to avoid, and to ignore in your search for a quality Dominant.

A Dominant Is…

Respect
A quality Dominant shows respect to submissives, and to everyone. He or she asks questions about your life, listens to the answers, and doesn’t put you down.

Balance
A quality Dominant keeps a balance between their vanilla and BDSM lives. They can talk about their family, pets, other things that have nothing to do with BDSM. They have a sense of humor about the lifestyle, and don’t take themselves too seriously. Avoid Dominants with a chip on their shoulder, or who cannot hold a job or keep friends. Especially avoid people who complain about their ex partners or about everyone else in the scene. One day you will be the ex and they will be bitching about you.

Communication
A quality Dominant needs to be able to access their emotions, and articulate them. If they are the stereotypical guy who can’t express their emotional side, they will not be able to support your emotional side when the time comes. If they can’t control their temper, or they make a big drama out of life, they will be too self-directed to take care of you.

Consistency
A quality Dominant is as good as their word. If they say they’ll show up at 6 PM, they show up. If you are going to trust this person with your body and possibly your heart, you need to know that they will come through. A sometime Dominant is not an effective Dominant

Depth
A quality Dominant recognizes that D/s relationships have several dynamics that are very different, and sometimes far more complex than vanilla ones. Because of this, he or she should have a better understanding of human nature than the average Joe or Jane. Messing with subspace is a heavy experience. To live a present life you have to understand human nature. But to be a successful Dominant, you have to really get it at a much deeper level. Doing it with a shallow or superficial person makes for a shallow and superficial experience.

Competency
A quality Dominant does not need to know how to use every toy in the toy box, but they do need to be motivated to learn. A novice should not be doing high-end play like whipping, fire play, or knife play without a mentor to guide them. They should be knowledgeable about how to avoid sexually transmitted diseases, and have an awareness of first aid. They know that reading and fantasizing about BDSM is not the same thing as doing it. A good Dom acknowledges that he’s not the be-all end-all of information and encourages you to find information about BDSM from many sources.

Pacing
A quality Dominant doesn’t hit on you during the first date, and doesn’t discourage you from dating other Dominants until you are ready to make a commitment. They know that a good relationship takes time and that there’s no need to rush in or glom onto you. They also don’t try to “make” you submit before you have given permission to go ahead.

References
A quality Dominant is known by someone. A novice may not have BDSM references, but everyone has friends and family. If they are totally in the closet and can’t even offer a vanilla reference then they might not be a good person to get involved with. Being “known” in the scene doesn’t guarantee that a person is a good Dominant, but they will probably be a safe Dominant. There are plenty of Dominants who have great reputations because of their technical knowledge, but have little to offer when it comes to the complexities of a real relationship.

A Quality Dominant Isn’t…

Lord This and Mistress That
In the days of the Old Guard, a Dominant had to “earn” their leather vest. Anyone who wore it could be considered a safe and experienced player. Today, anyone can call themselves Lady Bigcheese or Master Bigshot. Author Jay Wiseman writes in his article “Ten Tips for the Novice, Single, Heterosexual, Submissive Woman” of a submissive friend who “has concluded that there is also a strong inverse relationship between how many titles a man awards himself and how good a dominant he is.” Similarly if they make an “entrance” a la Scarlet O’Hara or claim relationships with many well-known scene personalities, they lose points on the respect-o-meter. Ignore the titles and look at the person.

Toy Obsessions
Dominants who obsess about their toy collections send the message that BDSM is about the toys. It’s not. A quality Dominant does not need equipment to dominate, only a powerful and creative mind. Not to mention the Dominants who dangle multiple toys off their belt, especially when they aren’t playing.

Horndog on the Prowl
Many novice Dominants or vanilla horndogs view submissives as a quick way to get some free nookie. Wiseman also comments about another submissive friend who “has come to believe that there is a strong inverse relationship between how good a dominant a man is and how quickly he brings up the subject of fellatio.”

Bullies & Manipulators
Some people think that being a bully means they’re being dominant. Bullies tell you how things are done and get upset when you disagree. Adults discuss the options respectfully. A real Dominant doesn’t have to force you to do anything. Dominants who try to manipulate you into doing what they want are losers.

A Good Dominant May or May Not Be…

There are lots of things that people think makes someone a good Dominant, but in fact they really don’t indicate much of anything. They include:

You Are Turned On
Just because a Dominant makes you hot doesn’t mean they know a darn thing about dominating. It could be pheromones or maybe they remind you of an old flame. It doesn’t mean anything except that you are turned on.

Whether or Not They Initiate Contact
Some Dominants believe that initiating contact with submissives is their nature and so they always take the lead. Others believe in allowing submissives to be attracted to them. Neither is indicative of any innate ability to effectively dominate someone.

Their Ability To Write Well
Communication on the internet is predicated on being able to write and type well. Many intelligent people cannot do this, and many foolish people are unwilling to even run a spellcheck. We say “foolish” because writing riddled with wrongs makes a bad impression. This being said, being able to write well has nothing to do with being a good Dominant.

Privacy Issues
Dominants, and particularly men who do the same thing get less respect. There are just as many unbalanced women online as there are unbalanced men. Don’t give out your personal information, and also don’t worry if they won’t either.

What They Do For a Living
Yes, a stable person will have a stable job. But they don’t need to be CEO of some corporation to be able to dominate. There is a stereotype of the female executive submitting in the bedroom, and the male househusband dominating, but neither are relevant. If ambition is important to you, fine. But it doesn’t in itself indicate an ability to either dominate or submit.

Great Clothes
Anyone can buy fabulous leather outfits. Let them know how great they look, then move on to more substantial topics.

Assertive Mannerisms
There’s a huge difference between controlling situations, and controlling a person. Don’t be fooled by people who act assertive in public.

Charm & Flirtatiousness
It might be fun to flirt with a charming Dominant, but social skills have little to do with the ability to control.

Paying for the Date
I used to think that the Dominant should pay for the date because they were the Dominant. On the other hand, some Dominants expect the submissives to pay as an homage. A person may well be a fabulous Dominant, but is unemployed, low on cash, or may believe in equality outside the BDSM relationship.The person who asks for the date should pay for it. Or both share the bill on first date at least. Don’t play games like waiting for them to pick up the check – talk about it up front and avoid games.

Sourced from http://www.bdsmdigest.com/
Lurker
0 likes
Firstly a big 'Thank you' Noric and a_chica for the insightful explanation of the term, and more importantly the conduct. I was always intrigued by BDSM, and never though it was reflected well in Movies (9 and a half weeks was too violet and non-consensual for me!). I always understood that it was a relationship between persons, with set out ground rules, as it where. Even more so than a 'standard' (sorry hate that term as your perception of what you like is 'standard').

I am interested in BDSM as I am interested in human psychology. I do feel I may qualify as a D, but do not know how to 'start', as it were. I am very conscious of consent, and I suppose I am a little shy in new places to start with. Do not get me wrong, my personality has be described as 'a force of nature', but I am always a slow start in new places (Here for example) as I do not always want to offend anyone. The stereotype of a sex stories forum is one of openness and constant hard-ons, but I like to think I understand people. Now of course I may be more reluctant to ask!!

I appreciate any hep you could give me.

Tank you dear friends!

Lloyd
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My thanks to Nordic_Pixie, chica as well. There are a couple more things to add to the list if I might... the first is self-awareness. By that I meant a good Dom realizes that he is only part of the puzzle and without the other part he is just a guy (or girl) looking for a date! A Dom needs to have a sub in order to fill that other side of the coin as it were. Both parties are in the relationship because they need the other. Subs usually know this - it's the Dom's that have a hard time with that fact sometimes!

The other thing that needs to be added to the list is compassion. I don't care if you are a Daddy, A Dom, A Master, or a Sadist, if you don't have compassion for your partner to some degree, you had better hang up your crop and walk away! A Dom can do more damage by not caring for their sub than any beating ever did. And that caring comes in many forms - listening to them, aftercare, and just being there when they need you are all mandatory if you are going to be a good Dominant. Your sub relies on you to help them - if you aren't there to do that then why do they need to hang around?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by LloydOxton
Firstly a big 'Thank you' Noric and a_chica for the insightful explanation of the term, and more importantly the conduct. I was always intrigued by BDSM, and never though it was reflected well in Movies (9 and a half weeks was too violet and non-consensual for me!). I always understood that it was a relationship between persons, with set out ground rules, as it where. Even more so than a 'standard' (sorry hate that term as your perception of what you like is 'standard').

I am interested in BDSM as I am interested in human psychology. I do feel I may qualify as a D, but do not know how to 'start', as it were. I am very conscious of consent, and I suppose I am a little shy in new places to start with. Do not get me wrong, my personality has be described as 'a force of nature', but I am always a slow start in new places (Here for example) as I do not always want to offend anyone. The stereotype of a sex stories forum is one of openness and constant hard-ons, but I like to think I understand people. Now of course I may be more reluctant to ask!!

I appreciate any hep you could give me.

Tank you dear friends!

Lloyd

I am so sorry for not following on this topic sooner...

welcome to lush and I hope to run into you for a conversation on this topic
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Jonathans_Fantasies
My thanks to Nordic_Pixie, chica as well. There are a couple more things to add to the list if I might... the first is self-awareness. By that I meant a good Dom realizes that he is only part of the puzzle and without the other part he is just a guy (or girl) looking for a date! A Dom needs to have a sub in order to fill that other side of the coin as it were. Both parties are in the relationship because they need the other. Subs usually know this - it's the Dom's that have a hard time with that fact sometimes!

The other thing that needs to be added to the list is compassion. I don't care if you are a Daddy, A Dom, A Master, or a Sadist, if you don't have compassion for your partner to some degree, you had better hang up your crop and walk away! A Dom can do more damage by not caring for their sub than any beating ever did. And that caring comes in many forms - listening to them, aftercare, and just being there when they need you are all mandatory if you are going to be a good Dominant. Your sub relies on you to help them - if you aren't there to do that then why do they need to hang around?

I wholeheartedly agree with the two additions to the ever growing list. I feel that many read this thread but few comment and every little bit of info on this thread is essential to those barely starting.

Thank you kindly

Master Jonathan, as many of us know you as lol
Lurker
0 likes
Ask Alfie
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Nordic_Pixie
There are very few absolutes within this lifestyle. How it is lived, has about as many varieties as couples within it. Besides the parole of "Sane, Safe and Consensual" there are few or no absolutes on how to practice BDSM. So what is the lifestyle all about?

There is one core thing that holds true for all the dynamics within BDSM; It involves some sort of power exchange. To put it in a simplified way, one person (the Dom) has power over the other (the sub). But here comes the crucial part; The power should always be GIVEN FREELY by the sub, in the manner decided by the sub. A real Dom will NEVER take or force power from a sub. The sub sets the limits within the relationship and can stop things and ask for the power back within a second. Once the dynamics have been set/decided, the Dom holds power over the sub, but the power should ALWAYS flow from the bottom (the sub) to the top (the Dom). A Dom only uses the power freely given to him/her by the sub based on his/her needs and wants.

It is also important to understand that being a Dom or sub is part of your personality, part of who you are, not a role you play. Much like say your sexual orientation is part of who you are, so is being a Dom or sub.

BDSM isn't about sex, in fact you can have BDSM relationships without any sex at all. However, most BDSM relationships will have a sexual component as most relationships between adults do, whether they are D/s or vanilla.

These are the basics of BDSM as I see it. Without understanding these, it is impossible to know what the lifestyle is about. There are tons of different dynamics in BDSM, but these things holds true regardless. Anyone else have any thoughts on this and how to best explain the lifestyle to those trying to learn about it and understand what BDSM is?

Nicely put. I will add something.

I think every sexual relationship always has some aspects, irrespective of the sexual orientation of the couple and even if they are not into BDSM at all. One partner usually loves receiving intimacy. No one can enjoy intimacy unless those participating are aware of each others' preferences and limits. The one who receives could be called a submissive, though only from a broader point of view, and she (or he) enjoys it because she allows her lover to "give" because she feels safe enough to consent her lover to do that, and the intimacy is an expression of caring for each other, even if it may not be love.
Lurker
0 likes
Very enlightening.
Lurker
0 likes
As far as I'm concerned it's all about trust. Power freely given is one thing, but you do have to trust the person to whom you give that power. Not everybody is worthy of your trust and as a sub you do spend a lot of time in what could otherwise be dangerously vulnerable positions, so the trust has to be given and earned very carefully.

Once you have the trust, everything else gets easier. Do I want to try something new? Well, if I trust Him then I will try it because He thinks that I'll like it and I trust Him not to do me any permanent damage.
Lurker
0 likes
10 Considerations for Inexperienced Subs 
from the Society of Janus

1. Be Patient

A potential top will let you know if she or he is interested in you or not. Keep in mind that your purpose as a submissive is to serve and to satisfy someone who will take into consideration the realization of your fantasies. Don’t expect your top to be able to turn on like a light switch. The timing must be right for both of you.

2. Be Humble

You may be God’s or Goddess’ gift to the world and the most sought after prize in town, but no one needs to hear it or wants to hear it. You will have ample opportunity to show how good you are. No matter what you claim, the “real you” will show through in a scene. Don’t set yourself up for failure by developing expectations that you know you and your top can never reach.

3. Be Open

You can learn something about SM and about yourself from everyone into the scene, no matter how experienced or inexperienced they are, or how dominant or submissive they are. D/s- SM is a very personal art, and an “I already know it all” attitude will make you miss valuable SM lessons and experiences, and ignore potentially valuable D/s-SM friends.

4. Communicate

Verbalization is necessary, but at the appropriate time and in the appropriate way. Your top needs to know basic information about you, such as experiences, fantasies, health concerns, and turn-offs. But - unless it’s an emergency - wait until your top asks. Don’t expect your dominant to be a mind-reader who instinctively knows your needs, wants, and limits. Your cooperation will enhance the scene for both of you.

5. Be Honest

Don’t be afraid to share your needs and fantasies. Your dominant expects it. Honesty about your wants, health concerns, and turn-offs is essential to a good scene. Lying or being less than candid can only lead to problems, as the top will base the scene on inaccurate information. Besides causing problems, it can be dangerous.

6. Be Vulnerable

Your scene is a two-way street. It is not just the physical realization of your prior fantasies. If you want to limit your experience to certain physical and psychological stimulation, then contract with your top ahead of time. But don’t always expect your top to be a puppet in a fantasy play you’ve written in your head. It’s far better to let your top surprise you, to extend your limits, to take you to places you’re never been before. When you trust your top completely, let her or him know it, and let him or her guide you into new fantasies.

7. Be Realistic

Your dominant is human, and even the most experienced tops have moments of awkwardness and indecision. Don’t call attention to what you perceive as a lapse. Know the difference between reality and the fantasy world you see in books and magazines. Few tops are rich enough to afford a large dungeon with a lavish layout of equipment. Your top’s equipment is expensive - respect it and don’t abuse it.

8. Be really Submissive

This is the whole point. Let your dominant take you over completely. Don’t coach or second guess or be critical of your top. Exchange information on your special needs before the scene starts, but once it starts be quiet! If you insist on running a scene to your own specifications, then you should try being a top. You have agreed to limitations of your own power. Stay within those limitations. Respect and obey your top and expect punishment if you don’t. Accept it gracefully and cheerfully. Your top has many things to be concerned with, including your safety and what turns you on. Be loyal and dependable and enjoy your role.

9. Be Healthy

D/s-SM, like any strenuous activity, requires that its participants - both active and passive - be in top physical and emotional health. The amount you sleep, your eating habits, your alcohol and drug intake, and everyday stress affect your response and endurance during a scene. Your dominant needs to know when your physical or emotional energy is low. No matter how tempting a scene sounds, an “I want it all now” attitude when you aren’t able to give your all will leave both of you feeling let down. You serve your dominant and yourself best by staying healthy.

10. Have Fun

After all, sex is all about having a good time. You have earned and you are entitled to the unique, intense pleasure which comes from responsible, creative D/s-SM play.

THE UNWRITTEN LAW: Never ever endanger yourself or accept to do something for which you truly feel unsafe. Your dom and you must remember you are there to play with not to abuse. If your situation is not consensual stop!

Society of Janus:

The author of this article is unknown. It has appeared in an early issue of Growing Pains, the Eulenspiegal Society’s Prometheus magazine, and the July, 1980 Growing Pains. A represenative of the Society of Janus has attributed ownership to SOJ — — but was not able to identify the original author.
Lurker
0 likes
10 Considerations for Aspiring Dominants
 from the Society of Janus

1. Be Patient

Until you enter into a relationship with a submissive, you have no right to order him/her around. Give your sub, time to get to know you and what you are like. Finesse and subtlety are major elements of dominance. Similarly, strength and gentleness go hand in hand. The sensitivity and awareness (or lack thereof) that you show in the real world is likely to be repeated in the playroom.

2. Be Humble

You may be God’s/Goddess’ gift to the world, but no one needs to hear it or wants to hear it. You will have ample opportunities to show how good you are - and plenty of opportunities to make a fool of yourself . No matter what you claim, the “real you” will show through in a scene. Don’t set yourself up for a failure by developing expectations that you know you can never reach.

3. Be Open

Although the top is classically considered to be the teacher in D/s-SM, you can always learn from your bottom, no matter how inexperienced. Be willing to learn from other dominants who may have a totally different perspective from yours. Try to approach by-now-familiar trips with an attitude of wonderment and discovery. Be aware that everyone has her or his own personal style.

4. Communicate

You are responsible for finding out basic, essential information about the people you play with, such as experience, limits, likes and dislikes, and health information. Playing D/s-SM without this knowledge is like Russian roulette. Talk about your head-space and your view of D/s-SM with your bottom, so that any uncertainties can be dealt with before you start playing. Clearly spell out roles, rules, limits, and contracts. Do not take for granted that your bottom instinctively knows the ground rules.

5. Be Honest

If you lack experience in an area that your bottom would like to experiment with, be honest about it. Your partner has a right to know that. Be honest with yourself and take your submissive only to those levels at which you are completely in control of the situation. Safety should always be the first concern, taking priority over how hot a particular scene is.

6. Be Sensitive

There’s a very fine line between a sensitive, caring dominant and a self-righteous, insensitive overbearing clod. Your scene should be a creative synthesis of your needs and fantasies and your bottom’s needs and fantasies. Although, on the surface, your submissive is serving you, what actually is happening is that dominant and submissive are serving each other. Earn the complete trust of your submissive and never violate or even threaten to violate that trust. His or her submission is a gift to you. Use it appropriately.

7. Be Realistic

End the scene with the bottom wanting more, not wishing there had been less. Remember that power, control, and sensitivity are the keys, not just the intensity of the stimulation. Be clear about what is fantasy, and has little to do with what works in practice. Your favourite porno picture books may be stimulating in themselves, but don’t try to imitate them to the last detail.

8. Be really Dominant

Submissives are looking for someone who will take over their body and mind, not just for brute strength. Real people are wanted, not just cardboard images from cigarette ads or macho stereotypes. Your dominance enhances your whole existence. It does not cover up or substitute for other areas of your life - it is you. Respect and trust are a two way street for the sub to to you, they must receive and give both trust and respect. Follow up on rules, expect obedience, and punish appropriately when it is called for. Don’t shirk your responsibility to your bottom or to your sister/fellow tops. Be dependable and expect dependability. You have agreed to take the dominant role - now take it!

9. Be Healthy

Like any strenuous activity, SM requires that its participants be in top physical and emotional health. Many factors, including the amount you sleep, your eating habits, and your alcohol and drug intake affect your performance and endurance during a scene. Don’t attempt to do SM when your physical or emotional energy is low. As a dominant you have a special responsibility to be in control of yourself and on top of the scene. An attitude of “drugs and alcohol don’t affect me that much… I can do it anyway” violates your submissive’s trust in you and can be dangerous. If you don’t want to accept the responsibilities, you shouldn’t be playing the game!

10. Have Fun

After all, sex is all about having a good time. You have earned, and you are entitled to the unique, intense pleasures which come from responsible, creative SM play.

THE UNWRITTEN LAW: If your sub says the safe word, play stops. If play is not consensual it is abuse and you can and should be charged!!

Society of Janus: The author of this article is unknown. It appeared in the Eulenspiegal Society’s Prometheus magazine, and the July 1980 issue of Growing Pains. A representative of the Society of Janus has attributed ownership to SOJ — — but was unable to identify the author.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Very well said in the first two posts. A lot of people I have talked to about the BDSM Lifestyle believe it deals with domestic abuse. I have explained it many time much like the first post.

Brandie and I have been in the swinging / BDSM lifestyle for over 36 years of our over 37 years of marriage. We use it as part of our foreplay. We do use some flogging, but not as much as some do. Our genera is more in her being restrained and offered to other men and women for mutual sexual pleasure for all involved.

Brandie gets very turned on while preparing her body and getting dressed for pleasuring men and or women. We go through a ceremonious process, after she is dressed, placing her collar around her neck. Brandie has been lent out to other Doms and even auctioned off to other Doms for a fund raiser for 2 very well known children's charities.

We participated in the auction for 10 or 11 years twice a year. I am proud to say she went for a very high price. Third highest the first year out of 22 subs auctioned for the 3 day weekend. She was won by the same Dom all but 2 times. That was because he did not attend those two auctions.

She never received any of the money from the bidding. It all went to the charities. She was able to keep the clothes and lingerie she was provided with as well as the shoes, toys and jewelry, mostly costume.

She became a sub when she was 17 to a much older boyfriend at the time. She liked the very erotic sensations it created. It was with him and her sex life getting more erotic that produced her first squirting orgasm. Her first Dom was not pushy and did not force her into any thing she was not willing to do. He always respected her limits. I do too, as well as the other Doms she has been lent to.

I'm sure some non BDSM persons reading this post will look at BDSM in a totally different light. They will be surprised to learn the sub is the one with the controll of the scene.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have about the BDSM or swinging lifestyle. Or any thing about the aviation side of my life. It has all been great.

Nawty
Lurker
0 likes
Ambrosio’s BDSM Site - - A good source for BDSM informational resources.

APEX - Albany Power Exchange - - Event and informational resource. Essays and other resources for BDSM and power exchange relationships.

BDSM Backroom - - Library has an extensive list of essays and how-to’s.

Born Slaves - - An interesting set of essays dealing with being a slave.

Internal Enslavement - - From IE: “Internal Enslavement is a radical answer to the question ‘Just how binding and complete can consensual slavery really be?’ “

Find A Munch - - The Munch+Adult Local Link (MALL) Directory- A large and comprehensive resource to locate links to and descriptions of adult locality-based adult social groups and gatherings.

Leather-n-Roses - - A large collection of D/s, M/s and BDSM essays and other resources.

Leatherviews - - Jack Rinella’s web site with some great essays under the “Kinky Info” tab.

Peter Masters - - Mr. Master’s writings on Hypnosis, Mastery & slavery, and Dominance & submission. Includes a number of practical how-to guides for techniques and BDSM practices.

Submissive Loving - - A source for submissives and dominants interested in learning more about BDSM and the Domination/submission lifestyle. This site’s mission is to provide helpful, sound, and realistic information and advice.

Submissive Guide - - Mentoring, self-help and submissive exploration. This site is dedicated to helping submissives understand themselves and the service they wish to provide; from sexual to domestic, personal assistant to pain slut and everything in between.

The Society of Janus - - The Society of Janus is a San Francisco-based support and education organization for people interested in learning about BDSM. SOJ provides an opportunity to meet others with similar interests in a safe, relaxed atmosphere. They have only one cardinal rule: All BDSM activities can and should be safe, consensual, and non-exploitative.

The Eulenspiegel Society - - The oldest and largest BDSM support & education group in the USA

The Iron Gate - - A large collection of essays, links, stories and poetry
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Topmgr53
Very enlightening.

I agree with you on this.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Great resource - thankyou!