When all else fails (marriage fail)

last reply
4 replies
1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I come back to lush ?! In all seriousness though, I used to spend a lot of time on this site a long time ago, on a different account. This is something I know I can bring to the table here.

My husband and I have been together 5 years. We dated for three months, I got pregnant. At 7months pregnant I found him cheating on me with 3 other women (at least emotionally/via text, he claims he hasn't slept with any of them) one of them he was telling he loved her. I stayed, because the relationship was young and had been rough. We had just bought a house. I was terrified! When our child was 3 months old, I caught him again. I moved out while he was at work and he promised me we would go to therapy so I came back. We went to 2 sessions before he decided he hated the therapist and we never went back. (So dumb, I know. I should have insisted.) I moved back in shortly after. We have been married 2 years after I thought it had finally ended.

There have been emails, texts, pictures. He still has a flings.com account. He falls into the percentile of a sex addict, but won't get help. He tells me he can just quit, like he quit smoking. (And started smoking again shortly after). I know it hasn't ended. We don't have a healthy communicating relationship, when we fight it's hurtful comments and cussing. I know this isn't healthy. I've begged him for therapy, but he works so much (I'm a SAHM currently) he says we don't have time to ever go.
So it's reached the point where if I catch a login to flings on his iPad, it's just like "I caught ya!" And we move on. I've offered to leave, to divorce, to have an open marriage where we can see other people, to become swingers. He doesn't want that, he says. He just wants me, he says. Yet continues online activity.
New things he has been doing- he setup our kids old camera in the bedroom and it sends emails to his account if there is movement in front of it. He literally knows every time I come into the bedroom during the day. I've told him it creeps me out and unplug it and he plugs it back in. Then I found a picture of MY phone screen on his iPad with an odd number on it from when I listed something on Craigslist. He looked at my phone and looked up the number that had texted me without just asking me what it was. My phone is not locked, he is free to go thru it whenever he wants. His phone is locked and if I tell him to unlock it he walks away.
I've been faithful the whole time up until yesterday, where I called up my best male friend who I have always had feelings for, and vice versa. (We spent a week together years ago and had sex, but he lives in another state.) He knows my entire situation, knows everything that has gone on in the last 5 years, and has always given me advice to try and work everything out with my marriage. he knows I don't want to just end it or throw it away. We were talking and it turned into phone sex.(and I had to unplug the freaking camera!) This is a catalyst.
Sorry for the long ass post. So what it is boiling down to is, am I down to giving my husband a final ultimatum to get therapy with me? If I've reached the point where I can have phone sex because I feel I deserve a happy moment after everything I've had to deal with, should I give any more time trying to put effort into my marriage?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am no therapist, but I think you have done your share. This site is full of people just like you have described your husband. Men and women get addicted to the attention that they receive from a stranger. The camera thing would freak me out. I first thought you were going to say he filmed the two of you having sex and posted it on the web, which is totally fucked up in my book. I see him as a control freak. He has you at home, alone where he can control you. Its not going to get any better if he does not own up to his problem. I wish you the very best.
Lurker
0 likes
I DON'T believe that PURELY cyber-relationships constitute true cheating. (I DO think it can be a very dangerous area...)

A single guy who has enjoyed several cyber-relationships, I have NEVER imagined that any of these 'connections' emotionally and indeed 'physically' pleasurable though they can be, are anything other than fantastical explorations of what are basically IMAGINARY situations.

If and when the situation leads to phone calls, meet-ups and actual sexual contact, then that is an ENTIRELY different and volatile circumstance. At THAT point the line has been crossed.

(I might point out that I have had partners who were aware that I enjoyed a fantasy-life on-line, indeed, at least one of my partners also enjoyed such cyber-adventures. Both aware of THE GAME, we never discussed specifics in any way. In fact, I believe our cyber-fantasies with others offered BOTH of us a SLIGHTLY kinky extra-outlet which brought a certain sexual frisson to our actual love-making.) I would NEVER share a serious partner with another man or woman IN REAL LIFE. (Not nowadays!)

Your husband's seeming effort to ACTUALLY MONITOR your personal private life indicates a DEEP inadequacy and lack of trust and confidence on his part.

I have no solution to your concerns, but can only offer that in ANY relationship (IRL) honesty and trust is all. That DOES NOT MEAN that you have to share every single aspect of your on-line life, (indeed I feel you should not) HOWEVER all parties must realize that fantasy IS JUST THAT and in NO WAY can usurp an ACTUAL physical, REAL connection.

My last partner found it AMUSING that I played on-line, confessing that she did too! I found it AROUSING that she indulged a side of her in that kind of FANTASY.

(We broke up when she slept with someone else in real life. Without my knowledge or consent, obviously.) I WOULD NOT have done such a thing.

It is the subject of a separate thread to ask WHY people, (like me...) indulge in on-line affairs. I might offer that it's exciting, it can be very intimate and can even in my experience be loving. What it CAN'T be is real. (Though HOW we might momentarily wish and even dream...)

I can only offer my own experience while wishing you well.

xx Stephen
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by Clover1

So what it is boiling down to is, am I down to giving my husband a final ultimatum to get therapy with me? If I've reached the point where I can have phone sex because I feel I deserve a happy moment after everything I've had to deal with, should I give any more time trying to put effort into my marriage?

Welcome back Clover1!

I certainly feel badly for your situation. Your husband sounds like a control freak. Yikes! That's tough to live with and live up to! You will NEVER be good enough for a man like your husband. (I know, I have experience in this type of man)

You, my dear, DESERVE to be happy. You DESERVE to be loved and cherished and supported. When you receive those things, YOU will give back to your partner tenfold .... and that cycle will continue and flourish.

Don't give your husband ANYMORE EXCUSES. He's a grown man, with a wife and child. He has to be responsible and honest and LOYAL to his family.

Life is short .... figure out how much you are willing to give up for your husband (if any) .... and once you make up YOUR mind what YOU need .... take it. Grab on to it. And do it!

PS .... if your husband isn't willing to put in the 100% into fixing the marriage - you have your answer!

Good luck,

Van
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Your husband is:
1. A control freak.
2. Has ZERO respect for you, or your marriage.
3. Knows he is doing wrong, which is why he doesn't trust you.
4. An asshole.

You should IMMEDIATELY
1. Contact a lawyer
2. Get a restraining order, and a court order so he can't close you out of the money.
3. Get in therapy for yourself. It is going to take a long time to unfuck your head.
4. Get a divorce.

If you want to have a little fun along the way, after getting the restraining, and court order, order up any good looking young man, and while the camera is rolling in the bedroom, fuck said young man silly. Finish with looking at the camera and saying. "Just wanted to show you what you will NEVER get again"..