The Death of Bees - rather more important than most might imagine

last reply
16 replies
1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Matriarch
0 likes
My mother keeps bees, and sent me the link to the following video.

"Bees are dying in masses. Which at first seems not very important until you realize that one third of all food humans consume would disappear with them."

The UK Govt banned the use of certain chemicals which were being sprayed on crops, but lobbyists are trying to bring back their usage. This is an absolutely absurd case of profiteering. They should NEVER be allowed to spray things on crops, which has such a damaging effect on our ecosystem.

Anyway, for those who are interested in the overall health of our planet, you might find this short video intriguing:

Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
I'm a bit taken aback that anyone would think the demise of bees was not extremely important and worrying!!
Empress of the Moon
0 likes
I'd like to recommend Vanishing of the Bees which is narrated by Ellen Page.
[url]http://[/url]
Wild at Heart
0 likes
I wish there was more buzz about this, really.
Chuckanator
0 likes
Quote by nicola

"Bees are dying in masses. Which at first seems not very important until you realize that one third of all food humans consume would disappear with them."

The UK Govt banned the use of certain chemicals which were being sprayed on crops, but lobbyists are trying to bring back their usage. This is an absolutely absurd case of profiteering. They should NEVER be allowed to spray things on crops, which has such a damaging effect on our ecosystem.

Anyway, for those who are interested in the overall health of our planet, you might find this short video intriguing:

Thanks for bringing this up. I saw it on my MSN page and was about to post it myself. There are insecticides that don't harm the bees. The farmers should be the first ones to embrace this. The propagation of their crops depend on it.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
I wish there was more buzz about this, really.

Groan.

Why do bees hum? Because they don't know the words...

(bump)
Lurker
0 likes
It's quite alarming that so many people are not aware of this already.

If they are not, it is most likely because it is detrimental to corporate profit...money first, the world that we live in later...

There are SO many examples of this nature but I like to think that after the explosion of globalisation, mass production, mass consumption, that slowly people are realising the actual damaging effects and where possible curbing them. What is a shame is that it seems to be more driven by people than by governments and multi national corporations, both of which control our world...
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Liz

He looks like a Wasp...

So Fuck Him, picnic-spoiling, Stripey, Stingy Nepalese Bastard. (Haven't really done the research here, TBH...)

But regular bees are cool. Do you know bees dance? (Really!) I don't mean in MANUMISSION, I mean to show other bees where sources of pollen exist.

When I was in the Army I was once a flag bearer at a Church Parade at The Curragh where there was an Arch Bishop, lots of Politicos and lots of Senior Officers. It was a big do... A wasp flew into my ear during the Minister Of Defence's speech and stung me. What with the screaming, my dropping the flag, my dancing around while swatting at my head and cursing, I was lucky not to end up on a charge. It didn't help that entire Cadet Honour Guard proceeded to collapse in hysterics while trying to disguise the fact, resulting in the entire guard looking like they were receiving electric shocks.

True Story. (Hi, Jayne!)

xx SF
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Groan.

That stings.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I've been aware of the bee die off for quite awhile. I know there has been a lot of concern from the agriculture industry here. Several universities have been doing studies and trying to figure out how to counter the trend. Several think there has been some bee recovery in my region because so many people have been active in it.

The loss of bees would be devastating to agriculture and with the world's population exploding that would be disastrous, yet human overpopulation is part of the problem. Besides certain insecticides, another factor is destruction of habitat. Over development, exploding urban areas and suburbs invading bees' natural habitats. Also, many cities and towns have ordinances against bee keeping. As they expand their city limits as a ploy to collect more tax revenue, their city ordinances go with them, forcing bee farmers to either move or go out of business as far as bee keeping.

Insecticides and loss of habitat seem to be the two largest factors in the huge bee die off.
0 likes
It's been a worry here in the Lower Mainland and Eastern Washington for several years now, Washington State University has been at the forefront of studying the organism causing the die-off. WA produces the most apples and I believe the most cherries of any state in the U.S., and without bees--no fruit. The cherry orchards have suffered the worst of it, both the ones growing Rainiers and the ones growing "regular" cherries, since a great many of the "regular" cherry crops are sold years in advance to the Japanese.

Oddly, in my own (suburban) backyard, I have a plethora of bumblebees and seem to have a more than adequate supply of honeybees as well, have two mature apple trees and a mature pear tree producing fruit with no issues. I don't keep bees personally but will probably set up an apiary next spring just on general principle.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by nicola

Has your mum considered growing lavender?

Thats a huge attract for bee's and keeps the wasps away too? I hate wasps.

Also I used to work at The Science Musem in London and there was a HUGE nest of bee's that resided outside a window near one of our Assistant Directors office windows..they were huge but they were a protected species so had to be left alone.

Also I watched a documentary the other day on Ancient Egypt which has always fascinated me and it said that honey never goes off..that jars 1000's of years old found in tombs of pharoahs was deemed still completely edible..certainly it seems Bee's are the best source of food resource.
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by stephanie
He looks like a Wasp...

That's like saying that Jabba the Hutt looks like Dita von Teese in her tightest corset.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

Lurker
0 likes
I have a Great uncle, that once swallowed bees. He was chopping wood, opened a Coke can, to take a sip. He then put it down, to chop more wood, went for another sip, and it was full of bees. Back to subject, we do need to do something about this
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by BiMale73

That's like saying that Jabba the Hutt looks like Dita von Teese in her tightest corset.
what about Pizza The Hutt?
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by Nerdy_Castle
what about Pizza The Hutt?

What about it?

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===