Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Write what you know VS Experimentation and the great unknown?

last reply
14 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Right basically do you think it's better to confine yourself to writing what you know as that will probably be the strongest of your work? Or do you find that you can write about things you have no experience with. Granted confining yourself to what is known forbids genres such as Fantasy, Sci-Fi, period (as in time) pieces et cetera. Where do you think the line is? Can a person write competently from the perspective they have no experience with?

Reason I ask, is I'm hesitant about tackling an idea that I have zero experience with. I've found that I'm best when I'm writing characters similar to either me, or people I know well. Do you find it difficult to write about a foreign experience.

Granted I'm asking about a dozen questions that only bear passing resemblance to one another. What the questions I guess I'm trying to ask boil down to: Do you find it difficult to write about experiences completely unfamiliar to you, and do you think it is possible to have the same level of quality when compared to something more familiar.
And I've only begun fucking with you people.
At the end of the day, it's all math.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It's entirely possible I posted this in the wrong section.
And I've only begun fucking with you people.
At the end of the day, it's all math.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I would say, write where ever your creativity takes you. If you don't have experience, research and or read others work on a similar topic. Write who you want the charcter to be, even if it's yourself.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I find that I have the most fun writing about things unknown in my experience, because I have to research them extensively, and thus learn new and interesting things which can be incorporated into the story. I've written historical period pieces, science fiction, mythological fantasies, among many other topics I've only learned about by reading extensively. I insert much of my own personality into nearly everything I write, but creating characters different from myself opens up new world-views, and writing about them cements new experiences into my mind as if I have lived them myself. It's one of the reasons I enjoy writing so much. I let the reader judge how well I've translated the foreign into the familiar.
Chat Moderator
0 likes
I think we do best when we can be ourselves...if you are naturally creative and inquisitive, fictional stories may be for you. As BF said above, the research and journey it takes you on may help you produce your best work. If you are a secret exhibitionist like me (not congruent, I know), you may enjoy sharing more personal and realistic sexperiences with the readers. I think the longer you write, the more likely you are to cross into all realms of writing. I have my preference, but I'm not going to limit myself to anything. Rest assured that someone, somewhere will enjoy what you've produced. Good luck!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
My default is to write what I know (people, places, experiences, psychological motivations), but I have tackled things outside my comfort zone on occasion. I've written from the male POV a few times, and I feel like that requires getting into a different kind of zone. When I'm writing about people, places or things that I don't have experience with, I do some research beforehand. Yay for Google.
The Linebacker
0 likes
Regionally and culturally, I usually write about what I know, but it is good to try and stretch your writing. There are things you can experiment with. Its also good to write about something you have to research. You can do this this with time periods, writing stories set in past decades or even further back or in the future.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
I've written from the male POV a few times, and I feel like that requires getting into a different kind of zone.

It's ok, we all know that Ashleigh's a boy's name
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Sci-fi and Fantasy are probably easier to write about because who's going to correct you? Most good writing in these genres deal with readily identifiable conditions and situations - fighting tyranny, political intrigue, love, revenge etc - the setting is usually just a backdrop to make things more exciting for the reader.

Writing outside of a sphere of knowledge is great if you're the sort of writer that loves research but if you're not, why make life harder for yourself? The key things we always back to though is characters - you can create a very believable environment but if the characters suck your story will too.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow

It's ok, we all know that Ashleigh's a boy's name

This is the excuse I'm going to use the next time I try to sneak into the guy's locker room at the gym.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by overmykneenow
Sci-fi and Fantasy are probably easier to write about because who's going to correct you?

Nerds.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
This is the excuse I'm going to use the next time I try to sneak into the guy's locker room at the gym.

Like you've ever needed an excuse. smile
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by Liz

Like you've ever needed an excuse. smile

I get some nice tips playing towel girl.

And if I'm bent at the right angle, I get the whole thing.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
I get some nice tips playing towel girl.

And if I'm bent at the right angle, I get the whole thing.

LOL! You deviant. smile

I get an eye-full being in the correct changing room.
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I think you should write what makes you happy.

I think being a writer makes you creative, which means you're willing to step outside the box. I know I've done this myself, I've written in every genre on Lush, so I've stepped hugely outside the box. I've also written in the male POV, which I really enjoy doing, actually.

Being able to write about things you've not done that you know, limits yourself in finding out what else is out there that you might possibly want to try. You might not know you wanted to do something until you've written about it. It's kind of like reading books. Do you only read books that you can relate to, that you yourself have done? Certainly not. Same goes with watching a movie or seeing a play, going to the theater.

So, why limit yourself when it comes to writing? A painter isn't going to paint just what he knows. He's going to open his mind and create something magical and beautiful. We writers do the same, in the written word.

*Steps off my soapbox*