Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Removing stories here for sale on Amazon?

last reply
11 replies
1.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Has anyone removed one or more of their stories here for sale on Amazon? I'm intending on writing / selling on Amazon, but I have some stories here that I would like to delete here and publish under another name on KDP. Anything TOS / legal-wise wrong with that?

Thanks,

GW.
Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by GirlyWorld
Has anyone removed one or more of their stories here for sale on Amazon? I'm intending on writing / selling on Amazon, but I have some stories here that I would like to delete here and publish under another name on KDP. Anything TOS / legal-wise wrong with that?

Thanks,

GW.

Hi GW,

In terms of removing your stories from here, you own them, so you are free to remove them as you see fit!

Amazon do not require exclusivety, unless you enrol in their "Kindle Select" program. Full terms are here.

The fact that the stories have been previously published, is neither here nor there.

As long as they aren't in the public domain, free, elsewhere, you should be fine (and even then, you can request a "price match" if you wish to go that route to get your work more widely read - people like free).

Feel free to PM me any specific questions you'd like guidance with.

Cheers,

Nicola
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hi Nicola,

Thanks very much for the comprehensive answer. I will need to look into the Kindle options more carefully to determine if I go for paid or free, especially as this will be my first release.

Cheers,

GW.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by GirlyWorld

Thanks,

GW.

Hi GW, if you don't mind another comment to add to what Nicola has said.... If you're planning to post something on Amazon that was already published here, then you're not likely to get as large a readership as you're used to here. Especially if you're going to use a new pen name and starting out completely fresh. Lush is an excellent place to build a readership, and you can certainly let your readers here know of your name change, but if they've already seen your work here then not many are likely to follow you to Amazon.

Your best bet is to publish something new, and then you can promote it with your readers and followers here. If you publish an ebook on Amazon, publishing some here for free at the same time is an excellent way to bring traffic to your Amazon page while your ebook is new. Strike while the iron's hot, as it were.

You can also think about submitting to an established erotica publisher (like Lush Publishing for example smile who will handle putting together your cover, editing and formatting your manuscript, and giving your title more exposure than you can on your own. A lot of people prefer the independence of self-publishing, but it's a tough slog out there on your own.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it works out the way you hope.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by GirlyWorld
Hi Nicola,

Thanks very much for the comprehensive answer. I will need to look into the Kindle options more carefully to determine if I go for paid or free, especially as this will be my first release.

Cheers,

GW.

If you aren't into self-publishing yet I'll point out that this last week Amazon announced a major change to the way payments are calculated for Kindle Unlimited works. Do some research and pay attention to what established Erotica authors are say in response in order to make a good decision with full knowledge.

Aside that, you can publish 10% of any story that's in K.U. (If you wrote 100,000 words you could then publish 10,000 - etc). So depending on length the first chapter might be okay - or tasty tidbits of sex scenes and the like in order to stir interest.

So - if you were to, say, release a bundle of stories in KU then you could possibly offer up 10% worth (1 or 2 stories - depending on length) outside of KU.

That being said - Lushstories: all Stories come with a set of options (edit / delete - etc) and at any time if you enroll a work published here into the Kindle Unlimited program just click 'hide story' - this will remove the story from readers, here, but it won't 'delete' the story - so to make the story available later at Lush just click 'show story'. It'll keep you from having to re-submit stories, prevent moderator headaches, and save a lot of time.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Frank,

Thanks very much for the sound advice. There are two goals main I would like to achieve.

I really want to get away from the name "GirlyWorld" and use a more normal / neutral sounding pen name moving forward. It would be great if I could use the same name both here and on Amazon. Perhaps that can be changed here on Lush without losing all my history?

My second goal is to start building a reputation on Amazon, which I realize will be difficult, but I guess we all need to start somewhere. To this end, I want to publish 20 of my 22 poems as a single volume because they receive a lot less readership than my short stories, and I think it would be a good way to test the waters.

Of course, I would be also interested in hearing more about how Lush Publishing works, so if you have a link or wouldn't mind sending me a brief message about it, that would be much appreciated, thanks!

Metilda,

I'll check out the story on KU, thanks. As for the poems, they have already been deleted, but hopefully I will never have to resubmit them anyway.

Thanks again to both of you for your help!

GW.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
GW,

Metilda's point about simply hiding your stories vs removing them completely is an excellent one. And what she's saying about Amazon changing their policy as well is worth considering. I'm still undecided about it, but I'm not especially fond of Amazon to begin with, and they are biased against erotica regardless of the revenues they collect from it.

You can certainly change your name here without losing any part of your profile. I'd suggest asking one of the mods who to contact for help. If you visit the Lush Publishing forum here you can get the general rundown on how, where and what to submit. You can also send me a PM anytime you'd like if you have any questions.

I don't mean to sound disparaging, but poetry may not be the best way to test the waters. It's not a popular item anywhere, and you're sure to get a better audience right here than anywhere else. New readers can get to know you here.

Feel free to send a PM, if you like, but if Nicola and Metilda are offering, too, write to them as well. It can't hurt to get as much information and different points of view as you can.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by Frank_Lee
GW,

Metilda's point about simply hiding your stories vs removing them completely is an excellent one. And what she's saying about Amazon changing their policy as well is worth considering. I'm still undecided about it, but I'm not especially fond of Amazon to begin with, and they are biased against erotica regardless of the revenues they collect from it.

You can certainly change your name here without losing any part of your profile. I'd suggest asking one of the mods who to contact for help. If you visit the Lush Publishing forum here you can get the general rundown on how, where and what to submit. You can also send me a PM anytime you'd like if you have any questions.

I don't mean to sound disparaging, but poetry may not be the best way to test the waters. It's not a popular item anywhere, and you're sure to get a better audience right here than anywhere else. New readers can get to know you here.

Feel free to send a PM, if you like, but if Nicola and Metilda are offering, too, write to them as well. It can't hurt to get as much information and different points of view as you can.

Excellent advice al around, Frank. I hid my ebooks here until I made them available for free.

Another option one might consider is moving your ebooks and published stories here to the vault. That is now where my re edited copied of my ebooks can be found on Lush. I feel this solution is most fair to me, Lush publishing and to Amazon as well.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Frank,

Thanks again. That's great news about the name change as it will make things a whole lot easier to cross-pollinate. I will see what gives with regard to poetry. I tend to write humoristic poetry, very light-hearted and borderline silly. I will be sure to mention this in the book description, in case anyone is looking for real poetry smile

I may well take you up on asking for more advice as I navigate through the options of self-publishing / getting published. I need all the help I can get, for sure!

Cheers,

GW.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Milik,

What is the vault, please? I've been here five years and I'm feeling like a newb, with talk of Lush Publishing and vaults!

Edit: I have found the vault, but how does it work? You can PM me if it is easier.

Thanks,

GW.
Lurker
0 likes
There are numerous story websites containing innumerable sex stories of every genre and all free. Why buy? Your writing would have to be exceptionally good to persuade buyers and I note on amazon they are asking peanuts and there is the problem of money changing hands over the net. Better to publish freely and enjoy the adulation of your readers
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If you decide to sell your stories you should look into Smashwords and their partners as well, not only the mighty Zone. I publish on both and it has worked for me.