Proofreaders

last reply
18 replies
1.8k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Seems most (not all) of the authors here don't bother proofing their stories or don't have them read. While I love all of you for the stories, a bit of clean up by someone with a bit of grammar and spelling might not hurt a few of the authors! Not harping, just a bit of constructive criticism to help those that need it improve.
Lurker
0 likes
Lush's standards are extremely high. Self publishing and all other free sex story sites don't have any barrier. Lush does. Be thankful that so many high quality authors are willing to offer their writings for free.

Also, Lush had a large international pool of authors for many of which English is not their first language.
The Linebacker
0 likes
The overall story grammar here beats the hell out of all the other amateur erotic story sites. It's a slam dunk!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz
The overall story grammar here beats the hell out of all the other amateur erotic story sites. It's a slam dunk!

You're spot on there, pal -- the standard of writing here is, on a whole, far better than other sites of its kind. It also has a touch of class about it which other sites lack.

But here's the thing: we, as amateur writers, all have room for improvement. Now the best way to improve our writing skills is to share knowledge, point out each others' mistakes. How can we learn from our mistakes if we are not made aware of them?

Now, if you or I were to point out people's mistakes, their weak points, they would think that we were being condescending and throw a fucking shit-fit over it. I'm reluctant to give constructive advice to authors through fear of being shouted at. That's not progress in my opinion.

I don't want to talk about blokes sucking their own cocks and eating their cum in the forum; I hear enough of that at work and down the pub. I am, first and foremost, an amateur writer who's eager to improve his writing skills and share knowledge.

Why do people not post in the "writers resources" section of the forum?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The moderators here do a great job and offer advice if your story needs it, but they have an awful lot of work to do (and for free, I might add). They can't be expected to be proofreaders for everyone as well, so we authors should do whatever it takes to make their jobs easier. For me it means checking grammar and punctuation as I write and save segments of my story. Once I have finished it I try to give it three reads to catch any errors that I might have missed. It may seem a bit like overkill, but I feel that it is the least that I can do.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by prairiedogg
The moderators here do a great job and offer advice if your story needs it, but they have an awful lot of work to do (and for free, I might add). They can't be expected to be proofreaders for everyone as well, so we authors should do whatever it takes to make their jobs easier. For me it means checking grammar and punctuation as I write and save segments of my story. Once I have finished it I try to give it three reads to catch any errors that I might have missed. It may seem a bit like overkill, but I feel that it is the least that I can do.

I don't think people actually expect the moderators to proofread their stories. The mods known their stuff -- that's a given -- as do many other authors on this site, but there are those who struggle with some of the basic fundamentals of English grammar. Some people could proofread their own stories a million times, but if they're lacking basic knowledge in certain areas, it's not gonna do them any good.

Trouble is, those people are not willing to learn or listen to advice. For example, I noticed that some people were misusing emphatic and reflexive pronouns, so, a few days ago, I gave a lesson in the forum. I bet not one single person's read it.

As much as I enjoy talking to myself -- I can be quite interesting after a few pints of lager -- I'd much rather do it sitting at home in front of a mirror.

Anyway, I'm off to mingle and have a fucking good jolly-up. You all enjoy yourselves.
Gentleman Stranger
0 likes
Quote by Buz

It damn sure does! And that's because of y'all, the moderators. And by that I mean all of you that have been fighting the good fight for awhile now, not me, who only started in the madhouse a couple weeks ago; I can only hope to maintain the high standards the rest of you have established.

I suspect that most have no idea that the VAST majority of stories get returned to the author, sometimes several times, for editing and proofing. I think this says a lot about not only the dedication and hard work of the mods, but also about how serious and determined people are to write a good story and have it published here, on Lush.

It's not the easiest place to get your story posted - it's just the best!
Lurker
0 likes
I am so fortunate that I have the best proof reader in the world. It is due to her careful editing of my efforts that my stories are generally approved without delay, rather than my abilities.
Υπηρέτης της Αφροδίτης
0 likes
Having a good proofreader is invaluable, as I am my own worst proofreader. I already know this, so yes, I struggle at times.
In the world's harsh wear and tear many a very sincere attachment is slowly obliterated.

Είμαι ταξιδιώτης τόσο στο χρόνο όσο και στο διάστημα
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I usually proofread my stories at least 5 times before I hit submit.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
I usually proofread my stories at least 5 times before I hit submit.

And it shows. Thank you - we have quite a few writers who send in clean copies of stories on a regular basis. not only does it help us, but it usually results in my jumping on them as soon as they hit the que and getting them up for them asap. and yes, i do keep track of things - after 5 years of doing this, i pretty much can tell when i see an author's name on something what kind of work i'll have to put into it (thank you Metilda, DD, Jaymal, MM, among others). smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

0 likes
Given that English is not my natural language, I proofread, proofread, and then proofread again before submitting. I see that you are new here. Perhaps you should read some stories by myself, or any other writer under Recommended Reads or in The Vault. That might change your impression that we're all a bunch of lazy spelling-impaired idiots.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Wine Connoisseur
0 likes
I have written numerous stories here on Lush with relative success. I am diligent in what I write and proofread my own work up to ten times before submitting the story. It is surprising how many words have dropped a letter, how many commas should be semi colons, some words should be capitalized and the use of very tricky punctuation and use of complex dialog. Of all my stories, I have been lucky enough to have had only one returned for editing.

The editors here do a fantastic job in helping us wannabe writers. They have also given me encouragement when they notify me that my story has been accepted. I normally do not name-drop in forums, but there are two moderators here who are also prolific writers for Lush. If you should read any stories from Sprite or from Milik_Redman, you will know the story is at a professional level. Reading their stories will give any writer an idea how to develop a plot, use correct punctuation, as well as maintain interest in the story
Testing The Waters.
0 likes
Just posted this elsewhere a minute ago.

Let it sit for a few days after you finish the first draft. If you have something else you want to write in the meantime, by all means, do so. Fresh stories floating around in your head and the passage of time dull what you meant to put on the page, so you can see what you actually typed.

Before you read, change the font size and face to something very different from what you write in. Changing the position of the words on the page makes things jump out at you that you'd otherwise miss.

Even if you have a second set of eyes, finding everything you can before you send it off to them makes their job easier, and those two things have proved more valuable than any spelling/grammar checker.
Prolific Writer
0 likes
Quote by RejectReality
Just posted this elsewhere a minute ago.

Let it sit for a few days after you finish the first draft. If you have something else you want to write in the meantime, by all means, do so. Fresh stories floating around in your head and the passage of time dull what you meant to put on the page, so you can see what you actually typed.

Before you read, change the font size and face to something very different from what you write in. Changing the position of the words on the page makes things jump out at you that you'd otherwise miss.

Even if you have a second set of eyes, finding everything you can before you send it off to them makes their job easier, and those two things have proved more valuable than any spelling/grammar checker.

This is a very good tip.....I'm definitely going to start doing that. I think changing the size to a bigger font will help catch some errors. xo
The Linebacker
0 likes
I also suggest that if at all possible you get a friend to proof read after you've done all of your proofing. A second set of eyes, seeing your story fresh will catch things that you keep glancing right over.

If you have questions about wording something or about how to use the correct grammar, please use this Forum. We have several good people who get excited about grammar and will be eager to respond.

Remember, the professionals use proofreaders and editors. Magazines use a proofreader to read the text before publishing. All print publishers have professional proofreaders on staff to read through all of their books before printing. Large ad agencies never rely on the actual writer for the final proofing of ad copy. (And yes, mistakes still get through. Unfortunately newspapers are the worst proofed of the publications and that is why you'll always see mistakes in just about any newspaper issue published.)
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Having a good proofreader is a necessity. I feel guilty because I never use one before I submit here. My issue is time. I also catch things I've overlooked and have to go back. That's embarrassing. I'm much better at catching someone else's errors than my own. I'm a sucker for my own weaknesses.

Yeah, so all the above advice is good. Listen.
? A True Story ?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz
If you have questions about wording something or about how to use the correct grammar, please use this Forum. We have several good people who get excited about grammar and will be eager to respond.

You're talking my language now -- this is definitely a bit of me. Let's get a little Q&A session going. There are some remarkable people on this site whom I could learn a lot from and vice versa. Let's mingle, interact, and share knowledge, grow as writers and aim for perfection. The key to achieving our goals is communication and interaction.

The most prevalent mistake made is the comma splice, but I'll kick-off with the emphatic and reflexive pronouns. If anybody disagrees with what I have to say, please speak up, give your opinion. I would love to discuss and hear other people's opinions.
Lurker
0 likes
The pronouns I'm referring to are as follows:

Singular: myself, yourself, himself, herself, itself, oneself.

Plural: themselves, ourselves, yourselves.

What most people don't realise is, these pronouns must refer back to the subject of the clause. They add emphasis to the subject and therefore must match the noun that they are referring back to.

I'll give some examples and underline the reflexive/emphatic pronouns and use bold to highlight the subject to which they refer back.

One has to ask oneself a question.

A rule by which we ourselves must abide.

Are you enjoying yourself?

She feels much better in herself.

A crime of which they themselves had become victims.

We live by ourselves.

I myself find it hard to believe.

They're old enough to do it themselves.

Notice how in all these examples the reflexive/emphatic pronouns refer back to and match the subject of the clause.

I'll now show some examples of misused reflexive/emphatic pronouns.

I wish I knew more people like yourself.

Paul and myself have resolved our issues.

The board and ourselves have come to a decision.

Please contact myself if you have any further questions.

Now notice how in these examples the two words are completely different things. If anyone has anything to add, I would like to hear your opinion.

The incorrect sentences should be as follows:

I wish I knew more people like you.

Paul and I have resolved our issues.

We and the board have come to a decision.

Please contact me if you have any further questions.