Question about Character Introduction

last reply
18 replies
1.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
When is the best time to introduce characters (descriptors) into a plot? I have started writing what I suspect will be around 8,000-10,000 word story. It begins with an email from an ex-lover and the main character teetering on whether to re-enter the relationship and then remembering what had happened the last time they met in explicit details. Then moving to further introduce how they met and further background information and experiences.

Is this wrong or do I need to build some basic character information into the beginning of the story? I apologize for such a basic question, yet I am finding it difficult to introduce the main characters in the beginning and want the reader to develop their own opinion with the use of subtle clues regarding the individuals instead of just stating who the characters are and what they look like, do, preferences. Is it wrong to begin with an explicit beginning?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
a little ground work wouldn't hurt kinda give your reader an outline.....take what you want and leave the rest....good luck
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Thanks so much for your response!
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
I think you were on the right track from the get go. It always makes for a stronger story when you gradually introduce your characters with subtle clues, slowly working their physical appearance into the action, and revealing their characters through what they do, rather than explicit statements. Weave a story. That's why we're all here.

You should check out some of Sprite's stories to see how it's done. I'd like to think I do the same, but there's certainly no shortage of good examples amongst the Recommended Reads and Editor's Picks categories.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Short Arse Brit
0 likes
Quote by Wilful
I think you were on the right track from the get go. It always makes for a stronger story when you gradually introduce your characters with subtle clues, slowly working their physical appearance into the action, and revealing their characters through what they do, rather than explicit statements. Weave a story. That's why we're all here.

You should check out some of Sprite's stories to see how it's done. I'd like to think I do the same, but there's certainly no shortage of good examples amongst the Recommended Reads and Editor's Picks categories.

You do Will

@ The OP, definitely read Wills, I love his characters.

I like the sound of your story and will read it when you publish.

I can't advise you though as thus far I have left my characters blank. But Will as ever challenges me so my next story I will be in your position and its rather daunting.

Will is right though, Sprite is an amazing writer, as is Will and I would also suggest Mazza too.
The Duchess of Tart

Please check out my new story, co-written with the amazing Wilful.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/straight-sex/long-time-coming.aspx

And my latest poem, The Temptation.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/erotic-poems/the-temptation.aspx
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
I like to wait until the last paragraph. sometimes, i even leave it to the footnote. yes, i have been drinking, why do you ask?

okay, pulling it together...

Major Crime: the laundry list. in my book, there is nothing worse. that's when you start out with giving all the particulars in the first paragraph - Nancy was 5 foot 3, weighed, 140 pounds, had blue eyes, blonde hair, and double DD boobs.

right there, as a reader, you've already lost me. weave it into the story, and don't hand out numbers. describe, don't tell. she was short, a little chubby, she had nice tits, her eyes reminded me of the summer skies over Ohio and her hair, the corn we chased through as a kid. give enough for the reader to form their own picture of her, everyone's will be different, but similar. it makes them feel more invested in the story.

ok, back to drinking. thanks. smile

And Will? you just earned a naked foot massage. let me know when you want to collect. ;)

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Quote by sprite
I like to wait until the last paragraph. sometimes, i even leave it to the footnote. yes, i have been drinking, why do you ask?

Major Crime: the laundry list. in my book, there is nothing worse. that's when you start out with giving all the particulars in the first paragraph - Nancy was 5 foot 3, weighed, 140 pounds, had blue eyes, blonde hair, and double DD boobs.

right there, as a reader, you've already lost me. weave it into the story, and don't hand out numbers. describe, don't tell. she was short, a little chubby, she had nice tits, her eyes reminded me of the summer skies over Ohio and her hair, the corn we chased through as a kid. give enough for the reader to form their own picture of her, everyone's will be different, but similar. it makes them feel more invested in the story.

And Will? you just earned a naked foot massage. let me know when you want to collect. ;)

You mean EE titties, or even, the mythic titty trifecta aren't good ways to attribute physical description? I thought describing asses by circumference was the shit. And I thought being crude got all the ladies wet. I guess I've been doing it wrong this entire time. Shitsickles to the doubleduce.
-----

What I try to do, emphasis on the try, because I can never seem to translate physical descriptions as well I feel I should from mind to page is this:

Generally, I like starting out with personality quirks. Quick, almost throw away descriptions that come rushing back as the character and story progresses, like seeds I've planted in your mind. When you have a personality fully formed, you can almost start to visualize the character without me ever having to even describe him or her. Actions do a great deal in describing a character. You basically give the reader a skeleton, maybe a few muscles, and they build on the skin, the eyes, the hair.

I'll throw in a few details. Mainly ones that mean something to the character I'm describing or mean something to a secondary or tertiary character.

Hell, you can even leave out any generalized sexual descriptions out entirely. Focus on the small things.

Curve of the mouth.
Slant of the eye.
Shine of the hair.

Or even imperfections that can turn on. A lopsided smile. A crinkling forehead/nose.

Put yourself into your character. What first comes to your head when you see "insert character mold here."

What emotions arise?

To keep a long, convoluted shitty rant to a single phrase.

Build the skeleton and the brain, and let the reader build almost everything else. Excess narrative can be annoying. It's like, I wanna be the main character, get the fuck outta my head.

------

I can't say if I do a very good job at the above, but I believe that's the best way to go about it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Generally I introduce and develop their character etc during the story, generally during a sexual experience. I talk a lot during sex in real life and in my stories tend to bring the character out whilst we are fucking and talking, particularly his past. Sex to me is an enjoyable and delightful experience and never rushed if possible. Pillow talk is wonderful as well afterwards. This is when I have learned a lot about my partners in real life and tend to do the same in my stories.
Chuckanator
0 likes
Quote by sprite

You and Will nailed it. If I start reading a story that starts with the physical description of of characters, I dont read any further. Develope the character emotionly and let the physical attributes fit into the story in a natural way. I'm getting a bit tired of stats anyway. On Lush the average breast size is ginormous and average cock would scare a horse. I would much rather hear about... say... A naked foot massage. Lol.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
In the first paragraphs, all a reader really needs to know about a character is their name and the action they are a part of that will pull the reader into their world. The other details (physical description, favorite hobbies, weird quirks) can be sprinkled through the story like breadcrumbs, one here, another there. Gradually you build the character, and reveal their motivations, fears, secrets etc.

The more you can engage the five senses and emotions in your story, the more real your characters will become to the reader. If you do it right, the reader won't even question all the things they still don't know about the character. Instead they are focused on the intensity of what you are revealing, and they get caught up in the big story of the characters life, not all the tiny details.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by wildgurl
When is the best time to introduce characters (descriptors) into a plot? I have started writing what I suspect will be around 8,000-10,000 word story. It begins with an email from an ex-lover and the main character teetering on whether to re-enter the relationship and then remembering what had happened the last time they met in explicit details. Then moving to further introduce how they met and further background information and experiences.

Is this wrong or do I need to build some basic character information into the beginning of the story? I apologize for such a basic question, yet I am finding it difficult to introduce the main characters in the beginning and want the reader to develop their own opinion with the use of subtle clues regarding the individuals instead of just stating who the characters are and what they look like, do, preferences. Is it wrong to begin with an explicit beginning?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Don't be afraid of giving the reader some work to do - let them fill in the blanks or anticipate (rightly or wrongly) where the story is going next. Don't let your descriptions slow the pace of the story but if you really need to impart some bit of information about a character (or event or location even) then do so. You can always go back in the next draft and move the information around to other parts of the story if you wish.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by ChuckEPoo

You and Will nailed it. If I start reading a story that starts with the physical description of of characters, I dont read any further. Develope the character emotionly and let the physical attributes fit into the story in a natural way. I'm getting a bit tired of stats anyway. On Lush the average breast size is ginormous and average cock would scare a horse. I would much rather hear about... say... A naked foot massage. Lol.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. There's nothing worse than a story opening up with: "Hi! My name's Sammy, and I have..." It shows a distinct lack of imagination and will put most readers off immediately.
Lurker
0 likes
When writing a sex story, I try to keep character descriptions short and sweet and give as much information as possible in a short paragraph.

I'll post an extract from a story that I've been working on:

"Jamal was thirty-five, ten years older than Tina. He was tall with a big build, and wore nothing but shorts and sandals with gold jewellery on his neck and fingers. His arms and shoulders were muscular. Tight sinews crossed his pectorals and abdomen, but his legs were scrawny, frightfully thin. The dark skin of his torso dripped with sweat, trickling down to the waistband of his shorts. He had long dreadlocks tied back in a neat ponytail and a gold tooth."
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by squiffy
When writing a sex story, I try to keep character descriptions short and sweet and give as much information as possible in a short paragraph.

I'll post an extract from a story that I've been working on:

"Jamal was thirty-five, ten years older than Tina. He was tall with a big build, and wore nothing but shorts and sandals with gold jewellery on his neck and fingers. His arms and shoulders were muscular. Tight sinews crossed his pectorals and abdomen, but his legs were scrawny, frightfully thin. The dark skin of his torso dripped with sweat, trickling down to the waistband of his shorts. He had long dreadlocks tied back in a neat ponytail and a gold tooth."

Never skip leg day.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Liz

Never skip leg day.

That's brilliant.

Exactly. Skipping leg day is a big mistake.

You wouldn't believe how many blokes like that I see in the gym. I'm a little bit guilty of it myself, but not to that extent. That picture has to be photo shopped though. His legs would snap every time he tried to walk.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Maybe it's a character flaw (forgive the pun) but I personally like knowing physical stuff early because when I read I am trying to visualize. If I'm 3/4 of the way through the story and get details like that thrown in then, well I'm already down another road. But I guess most of that naturally flows as you paint the picture for the reader.
As I work on my first story (about 3500 words at maybe the halfway point?), I don't have the physical descriptions in the first paragraph (I frame the story a little first) but the superficial details follow shortly thereafter, with 'character' details more flowing from conversation throughout.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
Good responses, one and all. Feel free to give yourself a gentle pat on your collective little heads. (A little head is a goodness, right?)

But seriously folks, while the 'laundry list' is a major no-no, there is no 'right' answer. IMO, very few stories, with the exception of fun reads such as those by, Size Queen, benefit from exact physical measurements. Best advice is to check out the EC and RR stories, first as a reader, then do it again, this time as a writer. Most of all, use only those descriptions which enhance the story. The same applies to when they should be used. Good luck.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
0 likes
Detailed descriptions have their place, but the details are best salted through where they are appropriate. I am not a fan of just dropping in a description. For instance, I'll describe what the character looks like as they come to meet another character or salt in an appropriate descriptive detail where it is needed.

OTOH, in my RR "In the Dark", neither character is described save in the vaguest details. It all takes place in the dark and not "seeing" anything is part of the feel of the story.

I also tend to not describe first person narrators save for details germane to the story. How often do you go around describing yourself to yourself?
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Thank you to everyone who has responded to this thread. You have imparted valuable insight to me as I have been struggling with the character introduction part of this story. I am almost 7,000 words into the story, with this portion looming. So I have continued to write and sprinkle in details when I feel they are necessary attempting to let the reader draw some of their own conclusions throughout the story. I will back track and complete the basic information closer to the front. I was just stuck on where to go with this and moved further into the story, therefore I guess writing it ass backwards.

Thank you!