Writing With Accents and Dialect

last reply
33 replies
3.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
I was reading another thread and thought this would be something that might come in handy. And, it will also help get your stories verified faster.MO6QL5H0au67kUqR

Using accents and dialects is fine and it helps strengthen your characters. It gives them a certain amount of authenticity. However, keep in mind that accents and dialects should be restricted to dialogue. If the dialect is hard to understand or extreme, you may want to somehow decipher it for your reader to limit confusion. There are various creative ways you can do that without it actually sounding like you think your reader is stupid. Otherwise, write in standard English form.

Stories told in first person can be a challenge since we are generally listening the the character think or speak. You will have to constantly check yourself to make sure that the accent or dialect doesn't alienate your reader or confuse them. So, it is generally advised to limit dialect where possible. Try to keep it within actual punctuated dialogue as well.

Stay away from unexplained extremes. The more intricate your phonetic spelling of certain phrases and words are when using accents, the more you confuse your reader. If your reader cannot understand you or has a problem following you visually, you defeat your purpose. It is no longer realistic, it is distracting from your story. The most important thing is to not over do it, make sure it is authentic and limit yourself to what is only necessary to give your reader a clear view of your character. As a rule, if it is not necessary, don't use it. It should have a function within your tale or poem.

Some of you may have some encouragement or comments on that topic to help us all out. I know the use of slang is popular too and can be just as tricky. And, our Lush members are from all parts of the globe.
? A True Story ?
Lurker
0 likes
That's some very good advice. Thank you, you've been very helpful. I have kept the Rastafarian dialect to a minimum. As I said, he's not a central character and he speaks rarely.

I must warn you, though, my stories always have a bit of a nefarious vibe to them. I'll post some dialogue now and please give me your honest opinion. If you want me to tone it down a bit, it's not a problem; it'll take me five minutes.

Jamal picked up on the first ring and in gruff tone with a Jamaican accent said, “Yah, wat can I do fo’ yu?”

Jamal sucked in through his teeth. “Nah, man. I got nuttin’ fo’ yu, blood. I is branching out inta other areas o’ business. It’s not men dat I is looking for, if yu kna’ wat I mean.”

He stared at me, looking nonplussed, and said, “Wat de fak are yu doing lying on da floor, man?”

Pulling a bag of white powder from his pocket, he held it aloft and said, “Yu join meh fo' a line o’ coke ‘fore we git down ta business?”

Jamal glared down at me, smiling. “I is goan’ta fak yo’ wife nah. Ya watch and learn, boy. But I is warning yu nah, man – touch yo’ dick and it’a be de last ting yu eva do.”
The Linebacker
0 likes
I like Jamaican accents.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Buz
I like Jamaican accents.

Me too. My best mate at school was Jamaican. He taught me a lot of the lingo.

Does it sound any good though? Can you understand it?
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Quote by squiffy
Me too. My best mate at school was Jamaican. He taught me a lot of the lingo.

Does it sound any good though? Can you understand it?

I can't really judge whether it's actually good, as I know too little about Jamaican accents/dialects.
I can read it and English is not my first language. I can imagine that it may take some readers out of the flow of reading the story a bit though, as it requires a somewhat different mode of reading. But then again, that didn't keep me from putting some German in my last story.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by squiffy
That's some very good advice. Thank you, you've been very helpful. I have kept the Rastafarian dialect to a minimum. As I said, he's not a central character and he speaks rarely.

Wow, you are good. I have a friend and I could here her speaking while I was reading your lines. It gives your story some flavor. I think you will be fine. The fact that you are concerned is a good thing. And too, it isn't a character that is constantly speaking.
? A True Story ?
Chuckanator
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl
I was reading another thread and thought this would be something that might come in handy. And, it will also help get your stories verified faster.ws5KWETtWaMtBe5U

Using accents and dialects is fine and it helps strengthen your characters. It gives them a certain amount of authenticity. However, keep in mind that accents and dialects should be restricted to dialogue. If the dialect is hard to understand or extreme, you may want to somehow decipher it for your reader to limit confusion. There are various creative ways you can do that without it actually sounding like you think your reader is stupid. Otherwise, write in standard English form.

Stories told in first person can be a challenge since we are generally listening the the character think or speak. You will have to constantly check yourself to make sure that the accent or dialect doesn't alienate your reader or confuse them. So, it is generally advised to limit dialect where possible. Try to keep it within actual punctuated dialogue as well.

Stay away from unexplained extremes. The more intricate your phonetic spelling of certain phrases and words are when using accents, the more you confuse your reader. If your reader cannot understand you or has a problem following you visually, you defeat your purpose. It is no longer realistic, it is distracting from your story. The most important thing is to not over do it, make sure it is authentic and limit yourself to what is only necessary to give your reader a clear view of your character. As a rule, if it is not necessary, don't use it. It should have a function within your tale or poem.

Some of you may have some encouragement or comments on that topic to help us all out. I know the use of slang is popular too and can be just as tricky. And, our Lush members are from all parts of the globe.

Thanks Regi. When I'm writing first person for a character, I'll be acutely aware of this. I've seen how you've done this perfectly. Sometimes I've avoided slang talk in my stories as to not seem racist or condescending.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by ChuckEPoo

Thanks Regi. When I'm writing first person for a character, I'll be acutely aware of this. I've seen how you've done this perfectly. Sometimes I've avoided slang talk in my stories as to not seem racist or condescending.

Why do you say that?

I hope you're not implying that I'm racist. I grew up in a diverse community. Nearly all my mates were from the African continent or the Caribbean.

If people are going be offended, I won't upload it.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm English so I don't have an accent.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by squiffy

Why do you say that?

I hope you're not implying that I'm racist. I grew up in a diverse community. Nearly all my mates were from the African continent or the Caribbean.

shush. people aren't going to be offended. pifflecock.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Will_greybeard
I'm English so I don't have an accent.

I'm English and have a cockney accent.

I can teach you some cockney rhyming slang, if you like.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by squiffy

Why do you say that?

Oh no, Chuck's not like that. He's not implying that about your writing at all. Please don't go there. What you have done doesn't in anyway insinuate that your character lacks intellect due to race or racism. It simply represents where he is from and how he talks. It makes him interesting as a character.

What Chuckepoo has said is not an unusual concern when using accents or dialects and it is something you want to be conscious of. It all depends on why you are using it and how you are using it. They can indicate class, location and education in some instances. But if it is used to denigrate a character based on race or sexual preference, or to encourage a racist attitude or view within the reader/writer. Lush will not accept it. We have no tolerance for that type of thing.
? A True Story ?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

shush. people aren't going to be offended. pifflecock.

Oh, I don't know.

Look, I'm cream-crackered, so I'm gonna go get me nut down.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by squiffy

I'm English and have a cockney accent.

I can teach you some cockney rhyming slang, if you like.

I'll take you up on that! It sounds like fun.

My husband is a Scotsman. I've learned all sorts of naughty slang. It's quite a nice turn on.
My mother is German and still has a strong German accent, but her English is laced with a Southern American dialect and its slang. It's very amusing at times.
? A True Story ?
Chuckanator
0 likes
Quote by squiffy

Why do you say that?

Noooo! I wasn't refering to you at all. Omg no. I was thinking about being careful to not make someone feel offended by me overdoing an accent. Maybe I phrased it wrong. I'm sorry if you thought I might have been referring to your writing.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Quote by squiffy

Jamal picked up on the first ring and in gruff tone with a Jamaican accent said, “Yah, wat can I do fo’ yu?”

Jamal sucked in through his teeth. “Nah, man. I got nuttin’ fo’ yu, blood. I is branching out inta other areas o’ business. It’s not men dat I is looking for, if yu kna’ wat I mean.”

He stared at me, looking nonplussed, and said, “Wat de fak are yu doing lying on da floor, man?”

Pulling a bag of white powder from his pocket, he held it aloft and said, “Yu join meh fo' a line o’ coke ‘fore we git down ta business?”

Jamal glared down at me, smiling. “I is goan’ta fak yo’ wife nah. Ya watch and learn, boy. But I is warning yu nah, man – touch yo’ dick and it’a be de last ting yu eva do.”

It's really well done dialect, Spiff. I can't write dialect for shit, but you nail this (I have a good Rasta friend from my NYC days for reference).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Verbal

It's really well done dialect, Spiff. I can't write dialect for shit, but you nail this (I have a good Rasta friend from my NYC days for reference).

Fair suck of the sav... what the bleeden heck have we got go goen on. I think this bloke's gone off like a brides nighty. He might think this pommy fella is in like flynn. Cricky there are a few of us fairdinkum blokes and sheilas who know a butchers about haven a yarn as well.

Hooroo
To boldly Lush where no one has Lushed before
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by ChuckEPoo

Noooo! I wasn't refering to you at all. Omg no. I was thinking about being careful to not make someone feel offended by me overdoing an accent. Maybe I phrased it wrong. I'm sorry if you thought I might have been referring to your writing.

I know, mate, it was just me being a melt. I got the wrong end of the stick. I was tired and grouchy. I had also had a few bevvies and just wasn't thinking straight.

I'm sorry for acting daft.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl

I'll take you up on that! It sounds like fun.

My husband is a Scotsman. I've learned all sorts of naughty slang. It's quite a nice turn on.
My mother is German and still has a strong German accent, but her English is laced with a Southern American dialect and its slang. It's very amusing at times.

I know lots of naughty slang. Most people outside of London think cockney rhyming's ridiculous, yet they all use it.

As I said in a previous post, "I'm cream-crackered". "Cream-crackered" is rhyming slang for "knackered".

You could say, "He's got a smug grin plastered all over his boat". "Boat" is short for "boat race" which is rhyming slang for "face".

I try to keep the rhyming slang to a minimum though, otherwise people don't know what I'm talking about.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by squiffy

As I said in a previous post, "I'm cream-crackered". "Cream-crackered" is rhyming slang for "knackered".

I'm glad you clarified that. LOL. If someone had walked up to me and said "I'm cream-crackered", I'd have to slap him on
pure principle alone. I'd then have to make it clear that he needs to take his creamed cracker behind somewhere else because
I'm not interested.

But, that's based on American slang.
? A True Story ?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl

I'm glad you clarified that. LOL. If someone had walked up to me and said "I'm cream-crackered", I'd have to slap him on
pure principle alone. I'd then have to make it clear that he needs to take his creamed cracker behind somewhere else because
I'm not interested.

But, that's based on American slang.

This reminds me of a game that originated in Australia back in the '60's -- I've never played it, mind you -- called the Soggy Biscuit game.

It involves a a crowd of blokes all standing around and knocking one out over a biscuit. Now the last geezer to blow his load on the biscuit has to eat it.

I know I'm a wrong'un, but I thought I'd mention it just to put you all off your dinner. It certainly put me off mine when I first heard about it.

I can't get the link to paste, but it has a entry on wikipedia if you don't believe me.
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by squiffy
This reminds me of a game that originated in Australia back in the '60's -- I've never played it, mind you -- called the Soggy Biscuit game.

It involves a a crowd of blokes all standing around and knocking one out over a biscuit. Now the last geezer to blow his load on the biscuit has to eat it.

I know I'm a wrong'un, but I thought I'd mention it just to put you all off your dinner. It certainly put me off mine when I first heard about it.

I can't get the link to paste, but it has a entry on wikipedia if you don't believe me.

That would have to be a Hobnob. I can't imagine a Digestive or a Rich Tea being up to the challenge.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Liz

That would have to be a Hobnob. I can't imagine a Digestive or a Rich Tea being up to the challenge.

Yea, I know what you mean. It would require a more durable biscuit.

My choice would be a jammie dodger.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by Coco
Da fuck y'all talkin bout?

lol

Priceless!!!
? A True Story ?
Lurker
0 likes
"If yu git down and quarrel everyday, yo' sayin' prayers ta de devil, I say."

> Bob

Rookie Scribe
0 likes
The piece of dialogue involving the two Jamaican's was no doubt excellent (I have no terms of reference) although there was one challenge to it from my personal perspective, I didn't really understand it and had to read it two or three times to actually get it's meaning. For me this could detract from the reader's experience, of course counter wise if the reader is fully conversant in dialect then I am sure it will enhance the story for them.

I am by birth a Geordie (Newcastle, North East of England) and trust me if I dropped into full accent then it would have many running for Google translate to try to understand what I was saying, so I do understand a little about accents.

Then we have the 'pond' differences between America and UK, simple words like 'knickers' v 'panties' or 'arse' v 'ass' or one I can across recently (I have an American editor) which was 'dirt roads'.

Taking the above things into account when writing I will cheat a little.

1 - I let the reader do the work - By using a phrase such as 'Helga spoke in her clipped Scandinavian accent' they will now mentally read Helga's words with their interpretation of what a Scandinavian accent sounds like.
2 - Throw in key words that enhance the regional accent - 'pet' is good geordie word or 'y'all' for just about any of the southern states of America.
3 - Can I phrase it differently? - Sometime to avoid confusion rather than using a local word, say more but explain fully. For example, "Quick" shouted Mary, "down this ginnel and away." could be replaced with "Quick" shouted Mary, "down this gap and away." as she pointed to the covered passage between the two houses.

I am sure I still fall foul at times especially when it comes to USA / UK differences, but when I wrote I try to think of the reader's ease of understanding.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
As anyone been on a moor bartat'
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
Shady Lady Julie: IMO, your thoughts on dialect are absolutely spot-on. Anyone thinking about writing a dialogue heavy story with strong use of dialects should read, re-read, and then memorize the wise words of, Ms Julie.

Stop by Rumplations (in 'The Pub' forum) sometimes for a free drink...you earned it. Besides, I'll just put it on the tab of one of the other UK females infesting the joint. ;)

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN