Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Introverts: Would you date an extrovert?

last reply
30 replies
3.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I dont know if i should have asked this in the LGBT section, as i am expecting answers mainly from women, but men can also reply.

I dont remember if me or someone else asked this earlier.

If you are an introvert, would you date an extrovert? If your dates were fun, can you suggest some tips?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My wife is an introvert and I am an extrovert. I think we compliment each other well and has helped us both. It has brought out qualities that we wouldn't have if it weren't for being together.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
For those of you who are not familiar with what these are, here is a very generic explination.

Introverts (or those of us with introverted tendencies) tend to recharge by spending time alone. They lose energy from being around people for long periods of time, particularly large crowds.

Extroverts, on the other hand, gain energy from other people. Extroverts actually find their energy is sapped when they spend too much time alone. They recharge by being social.
Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Speaking as an introvert (if a very social one) I have always tended to have dated extroverts. Must be a question of opposites attracting!! And the fact that I'm a very good listener... ;)

In terms of tips, its actually easier to be on the quiet side if your date is chatty and extroverted, as they will happily talk away with no prompting and so this avoids any painful silences!!
Lurker
0 likes
I think there is a better balance in the relationship between an extrovert and an introvert.
I am an extrovert what ends up attracting unwanted friends, I end up doing my best to keep quiet sometimes.
Lurker
0 likes
I completely agree with the other Lushees - introverts and extroverts compliment each other! My ex was an introvert and it's true, he provided me with a willing audience and always listened. Sometimes I'd perk him up and he'd calm me down, it worked well.

I like to think he's helped make me more balanced as a person, even now.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes they are fun sometimes
Have lots of fun
Lurker
0 likes
Thank you, all. I am curious to know, as an introvert, what kind of behaviour helped you to be in a relationship with an extrovert? Did you or your lover make some changes to the way you lived/ talked so as to be happy, together?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
We didn't really make any conscious efforts to change anything, I think it just naturally happend from spending time with each other. She came out of her shell more and I started enjoying the simple things and not having to go out every night or always be around friends to have a good time.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Generally, people would not consider me introverted. I love people and can be very social, but that's not what feeds me. I can do without it, but I definitely need my private moments of introspection and growth without the influence of others. I'm the one stepping back to examine things even within a crowd. My husband on the other hand is the gregarious extrovert that wraps people around his finger for play. He can work a crowd or do the one-on-one thing with ease. He never tires of it. But, with any extrovert it's the person that he reserves just for you that makes the difference. I adore the person everyone sees, but I love the person that he trusts me enough to share, it is the part of him that most will never gain access to. That makes all the difference. If you have an extrovert that is only one dimensional, then you don't really have that person--you have their personae. And, that may be the pull for you. Doesn't work for me, they are a dime a dozen. Too, an extrovert has to have a deep respect for an introverts need to be away from the crowds eye. That is equally necessary as well.
? A True Story ?
Clumeleon
0 likes
I'm reasonably introverted, and my first love was Miss Popularity. It was tough at times, yes, and I don't think she ever really knew how uncomfortable certain situations made me, but when it was just the two of us, it became the least important thing in the world. We compromised for each other, learned to live in each other's worlds, because it was so worth it to have each other.

Some nights we would go out to parties, some nights we would stay in and watch a box set. It worked. We were together for a reason, and our relative extrovertness was not one of them.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Quote by ChuckEPoo
Hey. Big suprise, I'm a total extrovert but I'm attracted to introverts. Easy to explain. Extroverts need an audience. lol.

This is me too! I find myself butting heads with extroverted guys because I'm so extroverted myself!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've been an introvert my entire life. Nothing can change that, and he would be incredibly frustrated if he tried. I like people well enough, but I don't want to be around people all day long, every day. It's too draining. I need my quiet time. As long as he can accept that and not try to force me to be around people all the time, I don't have a problem with it.
"insensitive prick!" – Danielle Algo
0 likes
Depends on how extroverted they are. I've had some colleagues that really drained all energy with their need for attention. I would never date anyone like that.

===  Not ALL LIVES MATTER until BLACK LIVES MATTER  ===

The Bee's Knees
0 likes
yes, i would date an extrovert. two of my best friends are extremely extroverted and i feel that we get along so well because we balance each other out. i've dated more outgoing men and felt that it applies there as well.

Say. Her. Name.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Personally i think an extrovert compliments an introvert like myself very well.
Having never been in a relationship myself, i don't pretend to be authoritative on the matter. I much prefer the company of extroverts in many cases. I am perfectly happy to listen and then talk when i feel i have something worthwhile to say but if it comes to me having to try and run a conversation all hope is lost. Unless that conversation happens to be in the realms of christianity and the Bible or talking about how building work. Then i may be happy to run the conversation. smile As an introvert I get stressed out if i have to do all the talking and so being with other introverted people leads to long periods of awkward silence. :P

This is shyness mixed with introversion so i don't know where the introversion stops and its shyness or what it is. But it's my character anyway :)

Disclaimer: Just don't be so extroverted that i can't get a word in when i have something to say. I have a friend who does that and it annoys the heck out of me when i have something to say for once and then can't say it cause he's talking all the time.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes. I would date an extrovert.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm an Ambivert, i like to feed off extroverts from time to time but i like my own introverted time to myself as well. I'm currently in a relationship with an Introvert who is quite shy when out in public. At her home or mine she is in her safe place and i like that. I feel fine to be like that. I can be introverted at times or extroverted. Makes for challenges that is for sure. ?
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
I'm an introvert (off the scales), and married an extrovert. As others have said, once we figured out what we needed from each other, we balance each other out.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Certified Mind Reader
0 likes
I'm an introvert (off the scales), and married an extrovert. As others have said, once we figured out what we needed from each other, we balance each other out.

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
According to the theory surrounding the Myers–Briggs Type Indicator, your best relationship match is actually the exact opposite of your own personality-type, except for the S/N scale. For example, the best theoretical match for an INTJ (like me) would be an ENFP, while the best theoretical match for an ESFJ would be an ISTP:

All of my 4 girlfriends have been extroverts (to diverse degrees). More precisely, I'm an obvious 'introverted thinker' who has always been predominantly attracted to 'extroverted feelers'. I've fleetingly dated plenty of introverted girls in the past (or had a few as casual fuckbuddies), but as admirable/fun/sexy as they might have been, to me there's always been that 'little magical something' missing with them.

There are many ways I could explain that to myself...

As a few others already briefly mentioned, I really don't want someone that's constantly competing against me in a relationship; I mostly want someone that's complementing my own personality. I definitely have that analytical/practical aspect to my personality, and I like to be recognized as the undisputed analytical/practical figure in my relationships. Outgoing girls usually tend to accept that just fine, because they clearly outshine me in plenty of other areas and really don't need that particular distinction to feel valued in the relationship; introverted girls often inspire adversity because I'm mostly coming across as an antagonistic jerk who's trampling on their own customary source of self-esteem.

I generally feel much more valued with a spirited extroverted girl. My girlfriends all had this apparent spontaneous/insouciant vibe to them; the downside of this is that they're usually rather shitty at planning ahead and inevitably get into various unfortunate situations. Damn do I love to come forth as their protector/rescuer with all of my rational pragmatism, haha. I essentially act as the 'missing part' of them, the reasonable voice that most other people have echoing in their heads but that their particular personality-type inadvertently often neglects (how adorable). Conversely, my own intermittent serious/brooding personality tends to be a pretty strong catharsis for all of their characteristic compassionate/nurturing inclinations, and they sure love to present themselves as a carefree ray of joy over my life (ie. admittedly the missing part of me). As the saying goes, "You keep me wild, I'll keep you safe".

I definitely love the frivolous spontaneity that extroverted girls bring to my life. I have deep/intellectual thoughts spinning in my head all fucking day long when I'm left to myself, I really don't need to extend any of that to my relationships; I mostly want to be challenged and explore another side of myself. One of my first dates with my current girlfriend was in a museum (more specifically, hanging around downtown with a short trip to the museum). I was naturally commenting the exposition with my usual analytical mind: "See how the artist's style evolved when he moved to America: his paintings of cityscapes feature a lot more rectangular shapes, whereas his European years were mostly defined by circular/triangular shapes". My girlfriend was in complete awe before my astute observations (I swear!), but she still shamelessly voiced her own passionate impulses: "Aww, I just looove the colors in that one painting!".

Observers might have assumed that she wasn't quite my type, but holy fuck do I love that sort of girly expressiveness. In contrast to what I expressed above, this is personally the voice in my head that I tend to neglect the most: the voice of uninhibited delight. I absolutely love having a passionate girl at my side to remind me that hey, I don't always need a big fucking intellectual reason to appreciate something or to feel happy. And mind you, my girlfriend can be pretty damn thoughtful/insightful too, in her own sweet and adorable way. In more than a way, her specific attitude is a lot more praiseworthy to me than otherwise: being so casually passionate is something that I've envied all of my life (and therefore always admired), whereas big intellectual statements have mostly become unexciting banalities to me with time. Moreover, the fondness that a lively extroverted girl can show me is significantly more meaningful/valuable to me than the one of a distinguished intellectual; I've had plenty of opportunities through my life to appraise my analytical capabilities, whereas I've often been accused of lacking in spontaneity and cheerfulness. Extroverted girls basically absolve me from my deepest sins (provided that they're willing to bend over and let me have some fun with them).

Obviously, two persons of opposite personalities also form a much more accomplished and multi-talented team (in both daily fun and daily obstacles). Who's going to bring the excitement/spontaneity with two reflective introverts? Who's going to bring the practicality/stability with two fanciful extroverts? The usual dynamic in my own relationships is that my girlfriends often bring the majority of impulsive/crazy proposals. One might think that an analytical introvert like me just acts as a killjoy who ruins all of their plans, but my girlfriends have been invariably quite surprised by what I can bring to the table: I can take their most extravagant ideas/fantasies, scrutinize them, and come back with a plan that's a dozen times more concrete and feasible than what they ever dreamed of in their ebullient minds. And mind you, I thoroughly enjoy the challenges that this type of girls bring to my life; they constantly keep me on my toes and naturally make me avoid the pitfalls of my own personality. Without an extrovert in my life, plenty of my plans just remain theoretical plans; without an introvert in her life, plenty of my girlfriend's dreams just remain impractical dreams. The two of us united can come up with an unlimited amount of attainable dreams, and that's certainly a whole fucking lot of fun.

I'm not sure if the saying 'opposites attract' holds true for most people, but it's definitely been an accurate notion in my own life.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy
According to the theory surrounding the Myers–Briggs Type Indicator, your best relationship match is actually the exact opposite of your own personality type, except for the S/N scale. For example, the best theoretical match for an INTJ (like me) would be an ENFP, while the best theoretical match for an ESFJ would be an ISTP:

I’m an ENTJ and my boyfriend is an ESTJ, we are pretty similar. I think depending on your personality sometimes you need balancing or sometimes you can’t handle balancing. I have dated people who are the opposite to me (introverted to my extrovert as one example) and it never goes well. I become too dominating because I have a strong personality. I’ve always needed somebody to match that.
"A dirty book is rarely dusty"
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am an introvert although I would like to be more extrovert.

I would date an extrovert but not someone who was really loud and showy
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm an extroverted introvert. I like intelligent people and both types of woman interest me. So yes. Most have been introverts I guess that's the type that I attract. I'm not into competing for a woman's' attention. I don't chase.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am a serious introvert. I have had relationships with extroverts. I enjoyed their energy. But I found eventually, I had to take a back seat to of their interests. I am bi guy, this is happened with all of my male and female partners. The fact is the more you in common with your significant the better. So introverts, stick with your fellow introverts.
The romantic bi guy.

Stay horny my friend.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm an INTJ and I tend to like extroverted women.. I'm introverted but I'm very confident, so I need someone to match that.
0 likes
I'm an extrovert so I wouldn't date or bother w/ an introvert. Feels like I'll be babysitting or having to talk them into having fun.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
It’s pretty fucking annoying to date an overly introverted person. Homebodies should date homebodies.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My wife is an introvert and I am an extrovert , We have been together for nearly 30 years. The 2 tend to compliment each other .So I would go for it as IMO it works. If you want to get the other person ie the introvert talking to open up ,then don't used closed questions( yes and no types) , use questions starting with How, What, When, Why etc.