diet and weight loss tips

last reply
55 replies
5.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have bitten the bullet and and decided to do something about my weight and now I've gotten into my head that I'm actually not curvy I'm just a fat lump of lard and now is the time to do something about it. I currently eat roughly about 1500 calories a day and I want to take it down to 1000 or lower. I eat healthily and cook from fresh but weight loss is hard as I have pcos which causes weight gain (no excuse I know) and I walk a lot and use an exercise bike but I'm needing more tips on boosting weight loss and how to burn more fat and calories. While I'd love to be size 4 (UK) a size 10 or 8 would be a more achievable goal.

So any help, tips or advice would be appreciated
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Did you watch the Horizon special on the BBC a couple of weeks back? If you didn't you can catch it on the iPlayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02ddsd9

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02ddsv0/whats-the-right-diet-for-you-a-horizon-special-episode-1

It was a fascinating study into why some people put on weight more than others and then struggle to lose it. They divided dieters into three groups: those who don't get full, those who eat all the time and those who eat as an emotional crutch - they then set them diets according to what was the root of their weight issue - from their they suggested the correct diet.

The "feasters" went on high protein low-carb diets, the grazers went on the 5:2 diet and the emotional ones joined a slimming club

There's a questionnaire on the website to help you decide which category you fit into. Even if there are external reasons for your weight gain you might find it helpful.

Of course it always comes down to the simple (and largely unhelpful) equation of less calories in and more calories out but the series does have some helpful advice - always have a healthy breakfast, get a support network, if you slip off your diet ignore it and just get back on it as soon as you can.

Remember if you "only" lose an average of half a pound a week - this time next year you'll be two stone lighter.
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks , I'll have a look on i-player and have a watch and hopefully pick up some tips
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Foremost, throw the concept of "weight" out the window. Muscle is more dense than fat and shifting your boddy from fat to muscle can many times increase your overall weight. Start taking measurements of bust, abs, hips, thighs, and whatever else you are interested in monitoring. Keep track of those measurements. As for diet, a great app to utilize is My Fitness Pal. Use it to log everything you eat and drink, including what you add to coffee, etc. Honestly, the biggest problem most people have is with what they drink. I'm not going to get into a debate regarding the latest study that shows that even 0 calorie diet drinks are death in a can. Just quit drinking all the junk. Drink water. Plenty of water. As far as watching how certain foods hit you, with me personally, I can't eat carbs after my evening workout or I balloon up. Just doesn't work for me. My partners can eat rice, a sweet potato, etc., but not me. My body just doesn't dig it. Therefore, my carbs come in the morning and afternoon before the gym. At any rate, it's pretty difficult to jam books worth of knowledge and differing viewpoints, pros and cons of each, into one entry. Good luck!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I do carry muscle on my legs and upper arms, I would like to tone up but to do that I need to lose the fat that covers the muscles I want to tone. I'm not in the obese category but I am bigger than I'd like and I want to be able to go out and be proud of how I look rather than feeling embarrassed of not being slim and "normal".
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Slim and normal is such a pile of bullshit created to market products. Some people just aren't "slim and normal" and that doesn't make you any less sexy. I understand the desire to perhaps tone up and lose excess fat, but a level of reasonableness should always be maintained. If you are genetically thick with muscle, so be it. If you have curvy hips and an hourglass figure with some meat on your bones, AWESOME. Just because the fad of the last couple of decades has been waif models doesn't mean it's "right" or even what the average guy is looking for those aspects in a woman. Just my humble opinion...
Head Penguin
0 likes
My Mum is a doctor. Losing weight is simple. You need to do three things.

1. Exercise more
2. Reduce your portions
3. Drink loads of water

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Bonnet Flaunter
0 likes
Tried to post earlier, but it obviously didn't get through!! Swimming is great overall exercise, without adding the bulky muscle that you're not too keen on. Also yoga and pilates are fab for stretching and toning for a sleeker silhouette. Even dropping a dress size is a great achievement so don't be too hard on yourself and don't feel the need to rush the weight loss process.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Look on Youtube. There are alot of videos posted on working out
If you are like me and like to change it up everyday. Youtube is a good start. Go get moving hugs
Have lots of fun
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
I've read dozens and dozens of articles about nutrition and also tried many different diets over the years, and from all the information I gathered and my own experiences I can honestly say that it all comes down to this:

Calories in Vs Calories out: a surplus you gain weight, a deficit you lose weight.

Now the tricky part is to learn how to create a deficit in a way that works best for you and that's the easiest to manage: this is where different diets/approaches can be more efficient for you than others. For some people simply cutting carbs is an easy approach that will work great for also cutting extra calories, for some others avoiding high-fat meats and diaries is much easier and convenient; others might avoid eating in the evening, might perform a lot of cardio, or will prefer to adhere to a predefined diet (eg. Mediterranean diet).

I've tried it all in the past (eating 6 small meals a day, eating 70% of my daily calories in one sitting after my workout, avoiding mixing carbs and fats, playing with the Glycemic Index of foods, etc.), and I can testify that the only determinant factor for managing my weight has been calories in Vs calories out.

This might sound surprising to some, but eating 1000 kcal of Pop-Tarts in one sitting or eating 1000 kcal of salad throughout the day will have the exact same impact on your body fat: the only difference is that eating 1000 kcal of salad will be a lot more convenient to improve your overall health and to control your satiety (and thus to adhere to your diet).

Having said this, trying to combine many different approaches/tricks is usually what will work best for most people, especially to maintain a low calorie intake while keeping a tolerable level of satiety. Some others already gave nice tips:

- Eat a lot of vegetables (as much as you can handle), and try to replace other foods with them; fruits are also good in moderation
- Complex carbohydrates are very optional (eg. rice, pastas, bread), humans really don't need them to survive, so try to replace them with various vegetables and beans
- Eat mostly lean meats (poultry and fishes are great)
- Drink mostly water, and drink a lot of it (this is great for satiety)
- Avoid calorie-dense and highly-processed foods (if you can't name the ingredients, ditch it)
- If you know that a food is bad for your goals, don't even buy it: once it's in your house, it's very likely that you'll eat it at some point
- Try to be consistent through the days (ie. eat similar foods at similar times), this a much more effective to figure out if your plan is working or not

These are pretty much the basics (I might be forgetting some). Try to establish a somewhat fixed daily diet according to these and try to observe where you're having difficulties: is there a moment in the day where you're particularly hungry? do you feel like you have enough energy throughout the day? is there a food that you're particularly missing? is the scale moving at all? Making adjustments is rather easy when you have plenty of foods in mind and know the effects of each (you can always ask me for advices if you need to).

And another thing is this: if you want to maintain a healthy weight, you'll have to keep this diet for pretty much all of your life. This essentially means two things: your diet shouldn't be hard to adhere to and it should actually provide you some form of satisfaction. You can make small adaptations until you find something that's great for you (both in terms of weight-management and gastronomy): this can be a long process, but the positive thing is that once you find something that works, it's there to stay.

Concerning cardio, this is very optional: as I've said, calories in Vs calories out is what matters. Cardio can have an influence on the 'calories out' part of the equation, but generally speaking nutrition and smart food choices are a lot more effective in terms of weight-management. And this is particularly true if you're not much of an 'athletic type': the less you're in shape, the less you'll actually burn calories by performing cardio. You might be sweating and agonizing in pain, but for a world-class athlete what you're performing might be a walk in the park and he could easily burn as many as x3-4 calories by providing an intense effort. For a lot of people, cardio will just be a very strenuous activity that will be a major pain in the ass and that will likely make them quit their many efforts to lose weight.

I've personally never relied much on cardio to lose weight; I did it intensely at times, but this was mostly for fun. I can lose weight fairly easily simply by manipulating my diet, and this isn't 'hard' for me in any way (ie. I don't feel food-deprived, lethargic or anything). Lifting weights and nutrition are pretty much the only assets that I use for body recomposition. You can engage in various activities if you enjoy it, but I wouldn't force anything or exhaust myself if I were you. Staying active is actually good for your overall health (eg. cardiovascular system, joints, posture, etc.), but diet should be your main concern regarding your weight-loss goals.

There's a lot more I could discuss about concerning dieting (macronutrient ratios, intermittent fasting and all that), but that pretty much covers the basics.

Best of luck and keep us posted! And don't be afraid to ask if you need specific advices!
Lurker
0 likes
For me, it's the mindless eating of food to sooth my soul. I have a tendency to put on weight quite easily. I love everything about food from shopping, preparation to consumption. I eat when I'm sad, happy, stressed, angry, and of course to celebrate. I eat when I think I'm hungry and even when I'm not. I keep a journal and I write down all the things I'm thinking and feeling. I also write down the foods I've eaten and it's just sort of a reality check for me and it's helped me to make some changes. Maybe having a fitness buddy would be helpful. I know I'd rather walk or run with a partner than do it alone all the time.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have PCOS too so I am soooo with you. The best thing I've found that helps is a lower carb diet. I tried like Weight Watchers and actually gained weight because I was eating more than normal when I used their points system. My doctor advised me to go on South Beach but I do prefer Atkins which he was fine with. I started back on low carb on Jan 1 (New Year's Resolution) and I'm down 16 lbs as of today (sorry I don't know how many stones that may be). I only started adding the walking back into my routine about a week ago so most of that was lost through diet alone. I walk 30 min a day on the treadmill and I try to drink green tea when I can. Make sure you are getting plenty of sleep and cut back on stress if you can. I had to quit my last job just to get away from the stress and that has helped. Good luck!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I love the my fitness pal app that someone mentioned earlier. I'm a firmer believe it's all about calories in vs calories out. You can reduce yourself to a 500 calories diet but who wants to live like that? I also have the fitbit charge HR and love it. Also I have recently started spin class and it incorporates upper body training into the class and it's like the fat just melts away. I haven't really lost too many pounds but after two weeks my clothes are a lot looser. I see you are dieting and exercising but are you increasing your exercise routine to help loose weight or is it still the same and maybe that's why your maintaining your current weight? Anyways, I wish you the best of luck and hope you are able to get to where you want to be. smile. Best of luck for a healthier you!
Lurker
0 likes
I lost 140 pounds 5 years ago (from 300 pounds on a 5'8" frame), and was told 10 years ago I was going to die if I didn't get in shape. Now I'm a trainer and exercise regularly. The advice jn the above posts is very good. Keep in mind fat has the highest caloric amount per unit (9), followed by alcohol (7), then carbs and protein (4) but carbs have a shorter route to your fat cells via insulin and other processes. Do light-moderate resistance training to get your muscles toned and 20 minutes a day (or a few 20 minutes sessions/day) of 'cardio' to burn carbs/fat. Adjust your diet to what keeps you full with the fewest calories. Always remember, this can be done if you adopt the lifestyle change to being healthy.

smile
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Good advice has already been posted in here.

Some easy tips:

* Get rid of juices, Snapples or any kind of sugar-heavy liquids. It's shocking how many empty calories one can drink when they could be enjoying them in food-form and feel much more satisfied. Drink lots of water. Buy a cute glass water bottle if it helps get you motived to drink more (eg. a BKR). Also - before meals, drink a glass of water to help you feel more full when you start eating. It takes a while for the body to kick in that it's actually full, so we often tend to overdo food portions unnecessarily.

* When you go out at night or are kicking back, substitute clean low-cal liquor for the margaritas or fruity martinis. Sipping on something like vodka on ice with water (or clear soda) and a big twist of lime is always preferable to cola-mixers. Water/soda is calorie free. Tonic looks clear and benign but actually contains quite a bit of sugar and is something like 80 cals.

* Drink black coffee or green tea (Matcha) to boost metabolism. Avoid Starbucks-fare or sugary lattes and 'dessert coffee'.

* Keep raw veggies cut up and ready to eat in your fridge when you want to snack or need something to crunch on. If they're ready and available, you're more likely to reach for them more often without having to do the cutting/cleaning bit.

* While on the veggie kick, it's worthwhile to have cooked veggies stocked in your fridge at all times. Years ago, I went through a health issue where I had to take a horrible medication (at a very high dose) for about 6 months that causes extreme weight gain. My hunger was off the charts and the way I got through it was keeping tons of cooked veggies, brussel sprouts, broccoli and spinach salad in the fridge. I also ruthlessly cut out sugar and salt and forced myself to stay active, even when I was feeling low and depressed. I found that this helped a lot.

* Eat before you grocery shop, even if it's a handful of unsalted almonds (which I actually tend to have on me at all times in my purse or gym bag). You're less likely to be tempted by unhealthy stuff if you're not hungry. I find that if you prevent yourself from ever getting to the point where you're *really* hungry, it's easier to portion-control at mealtime.

* Look up some interesting recipes from weight-loss books to get ideas about what to cook and how to cook it. There's lots of short-cuts you can learn from what kind of oils you cook with to how to cheat certain sauces and flavours. Think veggies and lean meats/fish and try to keep carbs to a minimum. I don't believe in cutting them out completely though - or any exclusionary diet because they can have a negative effect on the body in the long-term. Those diets are fine for quick short-term weight loss, but for the long run you just want to get used to eating differently but still having fun with it.

* If it's time for girl's night out dinners or going to a restaurant with your BF/hubby, try to hit a Sushi restaurant instead of Italian. You can have your splurge-nights so it's not the end of the world, but there are ways to learn how to order more 'cleanly' and avoid the hidden calories in many dishes.

* Work out/Cardio. It may be difficult to get motivated with this one, so maybe make a new playlist for your iPod or buy some cute new workout gear. Try something you've always wanted to - like yoga to start. If you don't want to go to a gym just yet, you can download tons of home workouts on Youtube or various sites. Anything to just get moving on a regular basis - even if that means extended cardio walks. If you're really motivated and ready to do this for the long-term with no excuses, think about getting a dog. It'll force you to make going out on walks several times a day part of your routine. If you're not sure yet, volunteer at your local animal shelter. They're always looking for help with dog walking.

* Set realistic goals. Take it all one step at a time. Slow but steady weight loss is typically easier to sustain over time than a sudden weight drop or yo-yo dieting. You want to slowly re-adjust your metabolism and eat enough that you're feeling satisfied so that you can do it over the long-term as a lifestyle change rather than just hitting that short-term goal.
Lurker
0 likes
What can I say. 2 years ago I decided to do something about my weight issues. Although 6'3 tall, and broad, I was in essence a bit of a porky ( although most people never said that). I went and joined our local slimming world, and have since lost 6 stone (85lbs). Now whilst it's not for everyone, it's worked for me quite easily. I've totally changed my eating habits, my drinking habits and have never felt so fucking good!! Excercise wise, brisk walks are the key. Time yourself on a little circuit, and you will better it every time. Walk a little further, but enjoy the walk too. Take in your surroundings and you'll never realised what was hiding just around the corner of your house. Keep an eye on your goal, don't be dismayed if you put a little on one week. Remember everyone of us is different, and it's finding what's right for you that will make it work.

You've already overcome a hurdle, that many don't, which is wanting to do something about it. I sincerely wish you all the luck with it, and if you want to find out what I eat, just get in touch with me on here x
Lurker
0 likes
I've helped a good few people get into shape in the past couple of years and there are a few things that really stick out for me:
View it as a lifestyle change rather than something you'll stop once you look how you want.
Diet is so, so, so important.
Enjoy the improvements in your general health, well being and fitness.
Enjoy working out/exercising - it really is so much easier if you can find something you have some enthusiasm for.
Don't beat yourself up over "slip ups" and don't use it as a reason to give up or throw the towel in.
Lurker
0 likes
what worked for me is a daily log that i wrote down through out the day what i ate/drank (hour,portion size,calories, fat grams) and a the end of the day add it all up.

you would be surprised how it can change your eating patterns.

exersise? when i stopped because of injury i actually lost weight....

also - you wrote "less than a 1,000 calories a day" isnt that a little low?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Last year, I said no more New Year's Resolutions to loose weight. Instead, I told myself, I was going to make healthier choices and practice portion control. I have lost two pant sizes and have kept it off. I feel so much more comfortable in my skin. A bonus, as I lost the weight slowly, it motivated me to do more. Where I walked, I would do a quick jog from one tree to the next. Now, I am jogging 3 miles and feeling great. I wish you much success and hope you find what works best for you.
Lurker
0 likes
Drink lots of water,don't drink soda,stay away from eating bread and fried foods.Eat lots of vegies and fruits except banannas, excercise excercise excercise,I run alot and swim as well and keep a close eye on my diet
The (Im)Proper Poetess
0 likes
I am not sure if this will encourage or frustrate people..I just turned 47, I am the mother 0f 4 kids. Approximately 18 months ago, I work a size 22 in Jeans and a 2X shirt. Today, I wear a size 4 (comfortable) ans a 2 (cant breathe) Jeans and a medium in a top I used to weigh about 240. Now I am 135. No, I don't do drugs( my dad was an alcoholic and drug addict too I will never be as he was which is why I am telling you about the not doing drugs to lose weight), am not on a starvation diet. I would love to give you a magic formula, but I don't have one. Simply, I eat when I am hungry,I eat slowly I stop eating when I am no longer hungry, not when I am full. If that is 3 bites into a meal, then that is all I eat. I did not set out to lose all the weight that I have, but I am not going to complain either.

I think that there is no specific magic formula, find what works for you and stick to that.

loneleygirl68
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Energy in energy out is the mantra and it is to an extent, but unfortunately that's against a backdrop of people with very different genetic makeups, medical conditions and environmental factors. So it is much harder for some people.

When eating smaller portions is good of course and change the balance in favour of more vegies and less carbs. Consider eating stir fries with no rice at all for example) using something like bean sprouts to bulk it out if you want. I tried the 5-2 diet (it isn't meant just to lose weight but also feel better and to let your body repair itself more effectively). It's the only time I've measured energy in a meal (on the diet days you are allowed some food). I used 100g rice and the rest vegies and a bit of flavour(terikali or the like, garlic, ginger) and had trouble eating the dinner it was so large. Vegies go a long long way for the same energy.

Look at expending energy wherever you can. Walk to someone rather than send an email at work, walk up the stairs, walk ride to work, whatever works, walk to shops rather than drive, work in the garden in a way that burns more energy. Can you stand at work more? Studies are now showing that sitting a day is very bad for you regardless of the weight loss. But whatever works for your situation.

And do some form of exercise, whatever works really. I find anything is good. Simply doing exercise tends to make you want to be more healthy in your eating habits. Having said that, I love swimming, makes my body feel much better, core strength, more balanced, irons out the kinks, but find it doesn't reduce fat as much as, say, push biking. Weights is meant to be good but I hate doing it. One thing to note. You tend to look flabbier when you start back exercising because you have more solid muscle underneath soft fat making it more obvious.

And a new one that is emerging that is very important is your gut flora. Antibiotics, processed foods, less diverse food groups generally deleteriously impact gut flora.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-gut-bacteria-help-make-us-fat-and-thin/
As I understand probiotics can help but a lot more work is needed before products can be developed to utilise the preliminary research. So eat wider foods groups, more raw foods and only take antibiotics if you clearly have to (fortunately they are less liberally prescribed these days - well they are here (Oz)).
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
The most important thing is to be smart. There are a lot of myths that you need to avoid carbs and eat high protein diets. This is not true. The most important thing is moderation. Carbs should constitute most of your diet, the problem with them is that when you have a high carb diet and live a sedentary lifestyle, your body converts it to fat. What you need to do is find out how many calories you need to be eating a day, search up a calorie calculator on line, and stick close to that. As for exercising, the important thing is to not just do one, thing. Dont just run, or just lift weights, or just do yoga. You need a complete work out routine, otherwise you might benefit from one thing but not from the other. For example if you lift weights without doing yoga or some sort of stretching routine, you will block yourself up and get hurt.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
We can get super technical with the calories but also you need to be concerned with the quality of food you put in. Cheap gas will wreak your engine but if you fuel up with quality thing such as organic grass fed dairy products, organic grass fed beef products, reducing sugar intake to minimal, eating quality fat and protein, and tons of veggies. Don't get hard on yourself. Skinny isn't always healthy! Being strong and control of your blood glucose is very important. See how eating a big carb loaded meal makes you feel... slow and sluggish, blood glucose crash. Eating a satisfying meal loaded with healthy fat, protein, and veggies will keep your blood glucose balanced and keep you from feeling tired and bloated. It's a lifestyle change, NOT A DIET! Diets don't work, they suck. Eat for strength and energy.
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
i've recently lost a drastic amount of weight. unfortunately, i didn't do it in the most healthiest of ways. stress caused me to lose my appetite. however, in the process i've picked up some good habits. WATER. i'm finding that i reach for it regularly. often when i think i'm hungry i find that i'm just thirsty. i've also discovered what 'true' hunger is and rarely snack. when i do, i want something high in protein to keep me full.

Say. Her. Name.

Lurker
0 likes
If any of you can tell me how to do the opposite, send it along. I am a diagnosed Type 1 Diabetic, but have never weighed 120 pounds in several decades. (Literally: Once weighed 119, & never saw higher.)
Lurker
0 likes
I have lost nearly 10 stone in 17 months going from a UK size 18/20 to a size 8. I did this by looking at what i was eating and making permanent changes to lifestyle and not go on a diet. I eat three meals a day with no snacks, my last meal is before 6pm. I make sure i eat two pieces of fruit a day (after lunch and after dinner) and 5-8 portions of vegetables a day. I cook all meals from scratch often bulk baking and freezing meals so quick easy dinners. I swapped all white carbs such as pasta, rice and bread to brown, changed to a mainly vegetarian diet which is much lower in fat. Try looking on a bmi website, it will once entered all your details say how many calories you need, drop by 400/500 a day you should loose one/two pounds a week, never skip meals as this puts your body in starvation mode so when you do eat it will store the calories as fat. I also make sure i wall 10000 steps a day and try to keep active. Good luck, you can do it smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Over 4 Years I lost 6st 7 Pounds to what I am now which is 12st 1 pound .

I would not bother with any of the so called diets as I found and still see that peoples weight yo yo as a result of these. Any changes have to be a life style change . These need not be done all at once but phased in slowly. I did this by taking control of my own food shopping phasing in more fruit and vegetables . I phased out all takeaways as fast food tends to be laden with fats . Instead we went out more in restaraunts ,choosing those that advised you the calories that are in the food. I used to be a big pizza fan and had pizza with nearly everything. I havn't touched one now for nearly 3 years.

After around 3 years I introduced more exercise . I used the Wonder Core Smart Machine and weights which helped to get rid of the last remaining weight which was hanging around my tummy area. After a year I have now got visible Abs .

The other tip I can give is don't give up but keep at it. It could save your life as it did with me.