Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Jumping between first person point of view,with more then one character.

last reply
9 replies
2.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Okay, to make it simple what I mean by jumping between points of views like,lets say in a story it's chapter 1-part one it consist of 4 people in a house friends reuniting (random names) Bob and Drake,Lucy and Gia.

They each pair off into 2 different bedrooms,and a sex scene happens. First sex scene is with Bob and Gia,but from Bob's point of view.That part one of the chapter 1.

Chapter 1 part 2 is with Drake and Lucy,from Lucy's point of view.

Does anyone see what I'm getting at?By switching to different points of views the story,or switching between different points of views in a single chapter just in parts,like the example above,but still retaining the first person point of view per character.

What do you think of this idea?And has anyone ever done this before ,if so any tips that would be advised.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
That sounds really fucking awesome.

Showing the same sex scene from two points of view has a lot of possibilities. What differs, what stays the same. I don't even think you'd need to label each section with whose point of view it is. Let the reader figure it out.

Elmore Leonard (a criminally underrated writer) was a master at effortlessly jumping from one POV to another, with no break other than a new paragraph. So good you don't even notice what he's doing. Third person instead of first person, but worth studying. I've read most of his early stuff twice, just trying to figure out his tricks.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thanks I will check is work out,maybe I can adapt to a style like that.
0 likes
It is easier to make it work in third person, I think. First person with a shifting narrator can get confusing unless it's "diary style" with an heading at each shift in narrator or each narrator is in a different chapter. When done well, it's great, but it is hard to do well compared to third person with a shifting point of view.
The Right Rev of Lush
0 likes
As usual, I agree with Seeker. There's nothing 'wrong' with shifting pov's. However, inadvertently confusing the reader is a major no-no. Except for the romance genre, most agents/editors don't like pov shifts, labeling them as 'head hopping'. That said, give your idea a try. LUSH is a great place to experiment.

RUMPLATIONS: AwesomeHonky Tonk and Cyber Bar
Home of the Lush "IN" crowd: indecent, intoxicated, and insolvent
a place to gossip, share news, talk sports, pimp a story, piss & moan, or just grab a drink. Check it out.

Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwords. -- ROBERT HEINLEIN
Story Verifier
0 likes
If done reasonably well, there's nothing that speaks against it. While it's mostly describing the same continous settings, the collaboration story in my sig (A Teutonic Temptation) switches between first person narrators too, so feel free to take a look ;)

What KatieElizabeth and I did there was to add a small "hook" in every POV part that the other writer could pick up in the next part to make it appear seamless. It's always good to remind the reader that they're in fact still reading the same story and to keep them from wondering, "What the heck has this got to do with what I read earlier?" In our collab, with just two characters who interact with each other, this was of course easier than when more people in different settings are involved, but adding and using that kind of hooks can be a lot of fun in itself.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Make sure its done well! I read (and enjoyed!) a story recently published on this site that arbitrarily jumped between the two main characters. It was distracting.

That being said, I have a work in progress that jumps between four characters. There are sections I didn't like because 1) I didn't like how it read when I forced that first person perspective and 2) I didn't feel like the reader was going to follow who the current 'I, he, she, him or her' was.

I have most of it readable (in my opinion) because I force the perspective when I describe who is thinking thoughts, and then fall back to story telling when there is action.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by ChrissieLecker
If done reasonably well, there's nothing that speaks against it. While it's mostly describing the same continous settings, the collaboration story in my sig (A Teutonic Temptation) switches between first person narrators too, so feel free to take a look ;)

What KatieElizabeth and I did there was to add a small "hook" in every POV part that the other writer could pick up in the next part to make it appear seamless. It's always good to remind the reader that they're in fact still reading the same story and to keep them from wondering, "What the heck has this got to do with what I read earlier?" In our collab, with just two characters who interact with each other, this was of course easier than when more people in different settings are involved, but adding and using that kind of hooks can be a lot of fun in itself.

This. Using a hook or segue to transition from one to the next will really make it fun to read.

The problem will come if there doesn't seem to be a reason for it. When the same scene is related in basically the same way, I tend to start jumping ahead to look for a reason to continue. Point out different things or have an event be interpreted differently. Give the reader a reason to want to follow it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have used that style on a few stories. I don't use chapters as in Chapter 1. What I do is I give each character a chapter using his or hers name. If you read my story Deepthroat you can see how I did it.