dating tips

last reply
3 replies
1.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am trying to get back into dating and would love a few tips. I'm a tad out of practice with all this.

What is your best dating tip?

examples: when should I call him? good ideas for a date? tips for a good conversation?
Lurker
0 likes
It might be better to Google "dating advice" or "dating tips". But, for me, after my first husband passed away, it was hard to date again. I felt that I was betraying my husband, even though he was gone. It took more than a few dates to stop being so nervous and to get comfortable being with someone new. Once I was comfortable and able to be natural, myself, and not fearful, things went very smoothly. Now we are married!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If a man wants you, nothing can keep him away.
If he doesn't want you, nothing can make him stay.
Stop making excuses for a man and his behavior.
Allow your intuition to save you from heartache.
Stop trying to change yourself for a relationship that's not meant to be.
Slower is better. Don't rush into anything.
The willingness to wait reflects the value you place on what you wait for.
Never live your life for a man before you find what makes you truly happy.
If the man was not treating you as you deserve then heck no, you can't "be friends". A friend wouldn't mistreat a friend.
If you feel like he is stringing you along, then he probably is.
A man who is in love with you will always find a way to make time for you.
No matter how busy he is, he'll make sure you know he's thinking of you.
Don't stay because you think "it will get better". It probably won't.
The only person you can control in a relationship is you.
Avoid men who've got a bunch of children by a bunch of different women.
Always have your own set of friends separate from his.
Maintain boundaries. If he can't respect them, he doesn't respect you.
Respect yourself enough to demand he respects you back.
If something bothers you, speak up. Problems fester and infect the relationship.
Never let a man know everything. He will use it against you later.
You cannot change a man's behavior. People rarely (truly) change.
Don't EVER make him feel he is more important than you are...Even if he has more education or in a better job. You are just as important as he is.
Do not make him into a quasi-god. He is a man, nothing more nothing less.
Never let a man define who you are, only you define who you are.
Never take someone else's man. If he cheated with you, he'll cheat on you.
A man will only treat you the way you ALLOW him to treat you.
Don't expect him to not act like a dog if you're throwing yourself at his feet like a juicy steak for the taking.
You should not be the doing all the bending. Compromise is two way street.
You need to heal between relationships. There is nothing cute about baggage.
Deal with your issues before pursuing a new relationship.
You should never look for someone to COMPLETE you.
A relationship consists of two WHOLE individuals.
Look for someone complimentary...not supplementary.
Dating is fun...even if he doesn't turn out to be Mr. Right.
Make him miss you sometimes. He will appreciate your presence more.
If you're always readily available to him, he will eventually take it for granted.
Never (for ANY reason) move into his mother's house. EVER.
Never co-sign for a man. Don't ask him to either.
Don't fully commit to a man who doesn't give you everything that you need.
Scared of being alone is what makes a lot of women stay in relationships that are abusive or hurtful.
You're the best thing that could ever happen to anyone and if a man mistreats you, make it abundantly clear he'll miss out on a good thing.
If he was attracted to you in the 1st place, just know that he's not the only one.
They're all watching you, so you have a lot of choices. Make the right one.
Smart women don't believe everything they hear.
A smart woman lets his actions speak for him, not his words.
What is most important in a relationship isn't just communication. It is the fragile trust a woman gives her man, and the absolute loyalty of a man to his woman.
Ladies take care of your own hearts. Don't give yours away to someone who won't cherish it, and every moment he spends with you.

Figure out what kind of relationship you are looking for and what qualities you'd like in a man you are romantically interested in. Don't settle for less just out of loneliness. Call when you want to call and communicate when you want to. If he can't do that most basic thing, don't date him. Go out and do fun things together that give you a chance to share your hobbies and interests with him. Do fun things he enjoys, and learn new things. Talk about anything and everything, be open, be honest, and be real.

There should be no lies and no secrets between an intimate couple. So many people fail at relationships because they feel the need to hide who they really are to be accepted and loved. The truth is, the people who feel the need to do that the most, haven't yet learned how to love and accept themselves.

If you have to hide any part of yourself out of shame...
If you have to deny who you really are...
If you have to sneak around to feel alive...
If you have to lie to feel accepted...
If you have to cheat to get the things you really desire...
If you have to run away to feel freedom...

If you can't be honest, and expose yourself emotionally...
If you can't tell that person your inner most thoughts...
If you can't share your naughty fantasies and secrets...
If you can't let them look into your eyes and peek into your soul...
If you can't expose them to your shames and deep darks...
If you can't let them see the real you...

Then why bother trying to be in a relationship with someone you are constantly lying to? They don't really know YOU anyway.

If you are ready, find someone who you CAN be totally open and honest with, who will accept and love everything about you. Don't try to hide who you are, or belittle yourself just to please someone else. Be weird. Be a total goofball dork. Be random. Be who you really are. Don't hide. You never know when someone wonderful will fall in love with the person you are trying so desperately to hide.

This advice applies to both men and women.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by mentalcase
I am trying to get back into dating and would love a few tips. I'm a tad out of practice with all this.

What is your best dating tip?

examples: when should I call him? good ideas for a date? tips for a good conversation?

Well firstly, you're a woman so you have that on your side. ;) I think a lot of women are quite happy to follow a man's lead but if he's suggesting the first date take plaec in an alleyway, it's probably best that you move on. Fun places for dates-in a bar with pool tables, bowling, fair etc. What are your interests? What do you like doing? Something which has conversation built into it. But ultimately, it's the people who decide whether it's fun or not

As for good conversations-most of the times you talk to friends, you probably just talk about random shit. That's normally what I do. Conversation shouldn't be planned it should just happen. It's not a job interview where you practice your answers beforehand. If you're both struggling for conversation, it's not a good sign.