The world is made of small things

last reply
11 replies
5.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Story Verifier
0 likes
It's been a while since we had a new entry in this part of the forum, so I thought I'd post this little thought I had a while ago (and I'm fully aware that there are better writers here who could express it much more clearly).

Small things and characters

Some stories have characters that feel three-dimensional from the start, and you get instantly pulled inside by them. Others (and often our own) aren't written that much different, but the characters just aren't that compelling. There's description for these characters in both kinds of stories, but some just don't work.

Often, I've found, this is due to the smallest things - seen from a plot perspective, even completely unimportant ones. In an age where we're overwhelmed with visual impressions and tv characters, it's sometimes hard to build a unique picture of a person in our minds from the descriptions of body features and clothing alone.

There's a solution though. Sprinkle in little eye catchers. Stick a band-aid on your roguish male character's shoulder. Put the bobby pins in your female character's hair in unevenly. Take your main character out of the house wearing mismatched socks. Have the buckle on their leather purse be cracked or a letter from the word on their print t-shirt be missing. Something unimportant in the scope of the story, but something you'd immediately notice if you were there in real life.

Small things and the world around

What works for characters, also works for the world in which they live. Don't just let your main character "walk up the drive" when he gets home after a boring taxi ride you've already had to describe. Let him sigh when he looks at the grey fence post that's askew. Let her smile when she looks at the ugly Halloween pumpkin the neighbor's kids have gifted her. Let the windows be dusty, even though they were cleaned just a week ago. Put an empty soda can in the drink holder in the car or let a crumpled paper roll back and forth on the floor of the subway.

Why does that even work?

There are a few reasons why this does work, and it's not high science.

First, it's unexpected, and thus it prevents a story from getting boring. We've all probably read tens, if not hundreds of breakfast scenes, and we know how these go. If we need to write one of these and it doesn't suddenly turn into debauchery or an argument, we've got to keep the readers on their toes. What we do by adding small things like a wrinkled cereal pack or a smiley sticker on the toaster is laying false trails, but small enough ones so the reader doesn't get annoyed.

Then, there's familiarity. Small imperfections tell the reader this doesn't happen in a perfect glamour world, and other little details tell them that our world doesn't start and end with the story. It gives a sense of reality. If we're lucky, the reader might even recognize some of the small things and say, hey, that's just like at home, or just like someone I know. We humans are suckers for familiarity, so let's not disappoint our readers.

How to come up with the small things

The answer is simple: start watching. Just look with this in mind when you walk down the corridor to your office and encounter a colleague. Do they just walk down and nothing else? Often, yes, but not always. You'll find that one may hold a fork in his hand and wiggle it right before lunch. Another one is carrying a cup of water that is filled to the brim and tip-toes in an attempt not to spill it. When you walk home from work, look at each house that you pass and ask yourself what small imperfections you can see at the first glance. When you visit family, do the same in the kitchen, or living room, or garden (better don't tell them, though, unless you don't like them and don't mind being barred from visiting for a while).

It doesn't take long until you find more and more of these small things - it's not that you didn't notice them before, but once you look out for them, you'll be able to remember them when you need a little spice for your story.
Lurker
0 likes
including cocks
Lurker
0 likes
Fantastic advice.

Sexstarveddude...not sure what the point of your comment is
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by ChrissieLecker
It's been a while since we had a new entry in this part of the forum, so I thought I'd post this little thought I had a while ago (and I'm fully aware that there are better writers here who could express it much more clearly).

Small things and characters

Some stories have characters that feel three-dimensional from the start, and you get instantly pulled inside by them. Others (and often our own) aren't written that much different, but the characters just aren't that compelling. There's description for these characters in both kinds of stories, but some just don't work.

Often, I've found, this is due to the smallest things - seen from a plot perspective, even completely unimportant ones. In an age where we're overwhelmed with visual impressions and tv characters, it's sometimes hard to build a unique picture of a person in our minds from the descriptions of body features and clothing alone.

There's a solution though. Sprinkle in little eye catchers. Stick a band-aid on your roguish male character's shoulder. Put the bobby pins in your female character's hair in unevenly. Take your main character out of the house wearing mismatched socks. Have the buckle on their leather purse be cracked or a letter from the word on their print t-shirt be missing. Something unimportant in the scope of the story, but something you'd immediately notice if you were there in real life.

Small things and the world around

What works for characters, also works for the world in which they live. Don't just let your main character "walk up the drive" when he gets home after a boring taxi ride you've already had to describe. Let him sigh when he looks at the grey fence post that's askew. Let her smile when she looks at the ugly Halloween pumpkin the neighbor's kids have gifted her. Let the windows be dusty, even though they were cleaned just a week ago. Put an empty soda can in the drink holder in the car or let a crumpled paper roll back and forth on the floor of the subway.

Why does that even work?

There are a few reasons why this does work, and it's not high science.

First, it's unexpected, and thus it prevents a story from getting boring. We've all probably read tens, if not hundreds of breakfast scenes, and we know how these go. If we need to write one of these and it doesn't suddenly turn into debauchery or an argument, we've got to keep the readers on their toes. What we do by adding small things like a wrinkled cereal pack or a smiley sticker on the toaster is laying false trails, but small enough ones so the reader doesn't get annoyed.

Then, there's familiarity. Small imperfections tell the reader this doesn't happen in a perfect glamour world, and other little details tell them that our world doesn't start and end with the story. It gives a sense of reality. If we're lucky, the reader might even recognize some of the small things and say, hey, that's just like at home, or just like someone I know. We humans are suckers for familiarity, so let's not disappoint our readers.

How to come up with the small things

The answer is simple: start watching. Just look with this in mind when you walk down the corridor to your office and encounter a colleague. Do they just walk down and nothing else? Often, yes, but not always. You'll find that one may hold a fork in his hand and wiggle it right before lunch. Another one is carrying a cup of water that is filled to the brim and tip-toes in an attempt not to spill it. When you walk home from work, look at each house that you pass and ask yourself what small imperfections you can see at the first glance. When you visit family, do the same in the kitchen, or living room, or garden (better don't tell them, though, unless you don't like them and don't mind being barred from visiting for a while).

It doesn't take long until you find more and more of these small things - it's not that you didn't notice them before, but once you look out for them, you'll be able to remember them when you need a little spice for your story.

Very good advice as I start my writing career. I am a painter and would also say this applies to narrative paintings. There is a time and place for large, flat shapes, but when painting to tell a story that's not it. Makes real sense to me for stories too. Thanks for the great tips.
English Rose
0 likes
Chrissie's whole post is just so amazingly true!

Case in point - Look at the first stories I wrote on Lush a year ago compared to my more recent efforts. The level of descriptive detail, all the little things you speak about, is so much more prevalent in my stories now. They aren't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I think you can see my growth as a writer by my adding all those little details in.

Your post sums up what I've subconsciously tried to achieve with my writing over the course of this last year. Thanks for such a simple, yet effective post and fantastic additional resource for writers xx
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/fetish/worship-my-bum.aspx
My new story has been awarded the Recommended Read. If you adore a needy bottom and fancy a short, but very naughty read...
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I love these tips. It isn't something I have thought about before.

Thanks for posting.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Very nice post. I'm a believer in details that go beyond the obvious. It can help your reader feel that they are actually there. But I am a "watcher", so I tend to notice small details I run across in my life.
? A True Story ?
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
It's a fine line. You have to choose things that define the character. It should be innocuous, but it should say something about their state of mind, or their personality.

I've talked about little habits the character has, nuances that identify them and make them real. Pointing out the color of the leaves on a tree can connect the time of year, but perhaps show the character has an affinity for nature. Whatever it is, it should be something that adds to the mood. That's the real trick, knowing when to add detail is important, but knowing when you are just adding chaff is equally important.
Lurker
0 likes
I definitely believe in using the correct "small" things and actions together, with a teamwork approach, to build larger more complex life structures and better outcomes, and a better life.
In-House Sapiosexual
0 likes
Quote by Milik_the_Red
It's a fine line. You have to choose things that define the character. It should be innocuous, but it should say something about their state of mind, or their personality.

I've talked about little habits the character has, nuances that identify them and make them real. Pointing out the color of the leaves on a tree can connect the time of year, but perhaps show the character has an affinity for nature. Whatever it is, it should be something that adds to the mood. That's the real trick, knowing when to add detail is important, but knowing when you are just adding chaff is equally important.

I do believe that unnecessary details ruin a story. One of my favorite writers goes back through her work and searches for things to remove. If you can eliminate anything, even one word, and it doesn't change anything about the story, than it needs to stay deleted. Every word should be placed in an attempt to tell the story, every detail should be necessary. I'm better at that in poetry than in my fiction. I tend to want to share everything that is in my mind's eye when I write fiction. I'm filled with backstory that influences action and births the character but doesn't necessarily need to be in the story. So that is on my list of weaknesses. I have to go over my list when I edit. It is sometimes painful.
? A True Story ?
0 likes
Quote by avrgblkgrl

I do believe that unnecessary details ruin a story. One of my favorite writers goes back through her work and searches for things to remove. If you can eliminate anything, even one word, and it doesn't change anything about the story, than it needs to stay deleted. Every word should be placed in an attempt to tell the story, every detail should be necessary. I'm better at that in poetry than in my fiction. I tend to want to share everything that is in my mind's eye when I write fiction. I'm filled with backstory that influences action and births the character but doesn't necessarily need to be in the story. So that is on my list of weaknesses. I have to go over my list when I edit. It is sometimes painful.

This. No wasted words, even as you're painting the stage.

One of the best writing exercises I ever did was about getting to know the details of a character. You number one to one-hundred and write one hundred "facts" about a character. It's hard. You get to about thirty and can't think of any more so you start digging deep. At the end you have a round character.

Then, you can really pick out the most important details to share to make the right impression. And the writer ALWAYS knows more about the character than the reader.