Question for the guys really...

last reply
33 replies
4.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
Hi. Any tips for how to tell your wife that you've been having an affair for the last couple of years, without nuclear war breaking out? sad

Lover and I have been very careful to stay well clear of anyone who knows both my wife and myself. Unfortunately we were walking along a country lane today, hand in hand and miles from anywhere, when we walked round a corner straight into a group of wife's work colleagues. Polite 'good afternoons' were exchanged, but the cat is well and truly out of the bag.

I'd prefer to tell her myself before someone at her work mentions it (they will sooner or later); at least that way she has some time to get her head round it. I'd like the least amount of pain all round but suspect I'm heading for the perfect storm. :(
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
not the answer you want to hear, i know, but no. there's no good way to do it without hurting her. that's what you have to remember, this isn't about you dodging the bullet - this is about you telling the woman you promised not to hurt something that is going to hurt her to the core. understand that and don't go looking for sympathy or finding a way to get away scott-free. make sure that, when you tell her, accept the blame, don't try to put in on her, don't try to be defensive - just simply accept that you are an asshole and you deserve everything she throws at you.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Wild at Heart
0 likes
Send her a short text with a frowny face.
0 likes
No. There are no "tips". Do you not remember your wedding vows, the whole "love and honour" part? Well, you tossed at least the latter and probably the former right out the window when you began the affair. Now you have to step up and accept whatever anger, vitriol, and unpleasantness (and yes, there will be all three) your wife throws at you, as Sprite said. She will blame herself, she will blame you, and then she will blame herself again. Your only job at this point is to make it crystal clear that nothing she did, or could have done, led to your very mistaken decision.

My question is, how long did you think you could go on like this, had you not been caught out with your lover? Years? What of the other woman's feelings? Did you just not care?
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Wild at Heart
0 likes
You could also have your mistress break it to her and avoid all the ugliness yourself.
Brown Sugar
0 likes
Quote by Welsh_Mal
Hi. Any tips for how to tell your wife that you've been having an affair for the last couple of years, without nuclear war breaking out? sad

Lover and I have been very careful to stay well clear of anyone who knows both my wife and myself. Unfortunately we were walking along a country lane today, hand in hand and miles from anywhere, when we walked round a corner straight into a group of wife's work colleagues. Polite 'good afternoons' were exchanged, but the cat is well and truly out of the bag.

I'd prefer to tell her myself before someone at her work mentions it (they will sooner or later); at least that way she has some time to get her head round it. I'd like the least amount of pain all round but suspect I'm heading for the perfect storm. :(

Wow, yea...I feel for you. I have experienced 'finding out' about and 'admitting' to infidelity. Here's where it's really going to hurt your wife. You've been with the 'other' woman for a length of time. There are feelings there's...a connection. That's the most painful thing to hear when one is in a committed relationship.

Before you break the news today, ask yourself a few questions.

1. Do you want to salvage your marriage?
2. Do you want to stay with the 'other' woman?

When you answer these questions for yourself, you have an obligation to be forthright with your wife AND the other woman. If the answer is yes to number one, then you better end the affair today, in your wife's presence and cease all contact with the 'other'.

If your answer to number two is yes, then you should break the news to your wife, pack a bag, and head on out.

Either way, hurt is going to happen.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do. Just be honest with yourself and all involved to minimize any additional unnecessary hurting. There's nothing worse than a lie on top of a lie.

EDIT...sorry, I'm certainly not a guy. But I hope this helps you see things from the female perspective.
Brown Sugar
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
Send her a short text with a frowny face.

NO

AND

Quote by Magical_felix
You could also have your mistress break it to her and avoid all the ugliness yourself.

HELL NO!!

Love you Felix, but no, darling...just no.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by Possibly

HELL NO!!

Love you Felix, but no, darling...just no.

I've told guys before that I'm some birdy's new boyfriend and to fuck off. Girls pull that shit all the time. What's the difference?

I'm giving welsh mal tips on how to go about this situation unscathed. I'm not giving him tips on how to give his wife a chance to make him think about what he's done lol.

The mistress should just go up to the wife and be like "He's mine now bitch, FIGHT ME!" while welsh mal chills in the car.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Possibly

Before you break the news today, ask yourself a few questions.

1. Do you want to salvage your marriage?
2. Do you want to stay with the 'other' woman?

When you answer these questions for yourself, you have an obligation to be forthright with your wife AND the other woman. If the answer is yes to number one, then you better end the affair today, in your wife's presence and cease all contact with the 'other'.

Thanks all, some good input. I will try and take it on board.

Wife is abroad on holiday with friends so I'm not going to talk to her about this until she returns, gives me a couple of days to sort out what I'm going to say / not say.

As to question 1 I am really not sure.
As to question 2 certainly not, and the 'other' woman knows this (but her life is complicated too so it would not really be an option anyway).

It may be a question of both relationships ending. At least there aren't any children involved.
Brown Sugar
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix

I've told guys before that I'm some birdy's new boyfriend and to fuck off. Girls pull that shit all the time. What's the difference?

I'm giving welsh mal tips on how to go about this situation unscathed. I'm not giving him tips on how to give his wife a chance to make him think about what he's done lol.

The mistress should just go up to the wife and be like "He's mine now bitch, FIGHT ME!" while welsh mal chills in the car.

SMDH
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Assume the position:

Seriously though - there's no easy way out of this. You fucked up big. In a weird way, I'd be more upset at being humiliated in front of coworkers and knowing all the gossip that will follow. The worst thing is to feel like you're the last to know and friends/coworkers know you're being played for a fool. Even if she's the type to consider forgiving an affair or trying to 'work things out' - knowing *everyone* knows what happened might push her to take a stand and walk away out of self respect and to preserve dignity.

I would confess everything after she gets back home. Let her say what she needs to say, even if that means taking your lumps without trying to defend yourself. Let her make the decisions from there - unless you're prepared to ask for a divorce outright. That mean mean she wants you to move out for a while, sleep on a cot in the basement, go to couples counselling... If you're still up in the air about what you want, I'd just follow her lead for now. How she reacts will have a lot to do with her temperament and how secure she thought the relationship was in the first place.
Brown Sugar
0 likes
Quote by Welsh_Mal

Thanks all, some good input. I will try and take it on board.

Wife is abroad on holiday with friends so I'm not going to talk to her about this until she returns, gives me a couple of days to sort out what I'm going to say / not say.

As to question 1 I am really not sure.
As to question 2 certainly not, and the 'other' woman knows this (but her life is complicated too so it would not really be an option anyway).

It may be a question of both relationships ending. At least there aren't any children involved.

If you're certain that there's no chance of a co-worker informing her first, then the delay is a good thing. But if the slightest possibility exists that the people she works with will get to her first, you better face-time, Skype, or call to head them off. And you're correct. It is a good thing that no children are in the mix. But hurt is hurt...still.

Whew, good luck to you, again. Brace yourself.
Brown Sugar
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
Assume the position:

Seriously though - there's no easy way out of this. You fucked up big. In a weird way, I'd be more upset at being humiliated in front of coworkers and knowing all the gossip that will follow. The worst thing is to feel like you're the last to know and friends/coworkers know you're being played for a fool. Even if she's the type to consider forgiving an affair or trying to 'work things out' - knowing *everyone* knows what happened might push her to take a stand and walk away out of self respect and to preserve dignity.

I would confess everything after she gets back home. Let her say what she needs to say, even if that means taking your lumps without trying to defend yourself. Let her make the decisions from there - unless you're prepared to ask for a divorce outright. That mean mean she wants you to move out for a while, sleep on a cot in the basement, go to couples counselling... If you're still up in the air about what you want, I'd just follow her lead for now. How she reacts will have a lot to do with her temperament and how secure she thought the relationship was in the first place.

This.
Senior Analyst
0 likes
Quote by Welsh_Mal

To answer your question directly: No. There are no such tips.

Decades ago I was involved intimately with a woman not my wife for a period of years. It was the '70s and my wife and I were living an "open marriage," which is to say she knew essentially everything about the relationship. We had this simple rule: I was not going to leave her for #2. I actually lived with #2 for about eight months, but eventually that relationship ended and I went back to my wife. We're still married.

However: after I went back to her, I genuinely cheated on her -- i.e., I slept with someone a couple or three times without telling her about it. I quit that fairly quickly after a week or two, and I thought I had skated.

TEN years after that, with all that history behind us, my wife found out about the two-week affair, and NUCLEAR WAR BROKE OUT.

There is no free lunch. Buckle up. Take what you've got coming; you've earned it.
Brown Sugar
0 likes
Quote by Porgy87

To answer your question directly: No. There are no such tips.

Decades ago I was involved intimately with a woman not my wife for a period of years. It was the '70s and my wife and I were living an "open marriage," which is to say she knew essentially everything about the relationship. We had this simple rule: I was not going to leave her for #2. I actually lived with #2 for about eight months, but eventually that relationship ended and I went back to my wife. We're still married.

However: after I went back to her, I genuinely cheated on her -- i.e., I slept with someone a couple or three times without telling her about it. I quit that fairly quickly after a week or two, and I thought I had skated.

TEN years after that, with all that history behind us, my wife found out about the two-week affair, and NUCLEAR WAR BROKE OUT.

There is no free lunch. Buckle up. Take what you've got coming; you've earned it.

The darkness always comes to light. Additional infidelity suspicions about my ex-husband came to light THREE years after my divorce was final. A woman who witnessed his deeds just hauled off and told me five/six year-old tales. Although my marriage was long over, that truth still hurt like hell.
Lurker
0 likes
Dancing_Doll, Possibly and Porgy, thanks for your thoughtful replies. I agree with what you write and hope I am feeling brave on Tuesday. Suspect I may drop off this site for a while.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by HeraTeleia
No. There are no "tips". Do you not remember your wedding vows, the whole "love and honour" part? Well, you tossed at least the latter and probably the former right out the window when you began the affair. Now you have to step up and accept whatever anger, vitriol, and unpleasantness (and yes, there will be all three) your wife throws at you, as Sprite said. She will blame herself, she will blame you, and then she will blame herself again. Your only job at this point is to make it crystal clear that nothing she did, or could have done, led to your very mistaken decision.

My question is, how long did you think you could go on like this, had you not been caught out with your lover? Years? What of the other woman's feelings? Did you just not care?

I agree with this.

Convict
0 likes
Not even wearing a suit of armour when telling her is going to help you. Now that you know you're caught and you have to hurt the person you're supposed to love above all else, do you think the affair was worth it? Not judging, just curious. You've got a long hard road ahead of you buddy. If you love her, you will have to gain her trust again. sometimes that can be impossible to do. Oh, that's if she even WANTS you, or can forgive you. Some women can't.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My 2 cents is just a penny a word. Don't Lie.

The explanation of that is longer... not lying means knowing yourself thoroughly, which I'll wager you do not since you're uncomfortable with the situation.

You should sit down and write out the top 50 questions you think she'll ask you, and really explore both the facts and your feelings about all of them. That way, when she asks you, you won't be caught having to think through them fresh and talk to her about them at the same time. You've spent a long time living deceptions, and the only way you'll be able to come out of it feeling even remotely OK is to understand what you did, why you did it, what you did or didn't get out of it, and what you want from the future. If you know and are comfortable with all of that, and if you have the fortitude to be honest now, when the chips are down, then whether things go "well" or "nuclear," you'll at least come out having been true to yourself.

This is going to take some strength; you've been a real a-hole, and that's always hard to admit. But it will be worth it, because after a thorough and unflinching time of self-examination, you'll either be comfortable with your a-hole-ness or you'll know what specifically you need to work on changing.
Lurker
0 likes
No offense, but I think that, even without the comments above, the answer is obvious. Unless your spouse is so in love with you she'll forgive anything and everything (or just doesn't care that much about you), you destroyed her trust in you forever. And without trust and faith based on complete honesty, there is no marriage/relationship, even if you do continue to live together
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Sadly there is no easy way to tell your wife that you've been having an affair. You'll need to do some soul searching and decide on whether you want to salvage your marriage or make a clean break. Either way your wife is going to react with shock, disbelief, hurt and anger, betrayal is hard to accept and your wife will never look at you in the same way ever again. If you decide to fight for your marriage, then you will have to ditch the other woman and block all contact and you will have to regain your wife's trust ( if you can, she may never trust you again) or you may choose to end your marriage and make a go off things with her. Good luck with whatever you decide
Lurker
0 likes
No... get a fallout plan ready first!
The Linebacker
0 likes
What's your real name? You know, so we'll know when we see you on an episode of 20/20 or Snapped.

The attorneys are going to love this. Do you have one on retainer? You better do that.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Honesty is the best policy rite? Wrong! Your life is going to go strait to shit. First these people you ran into don't know what was going on. Deni everything. When she approaches you. Break it off with the other woman now. When your wife asks who's the woman you were seen with Lie your ass off. Make up A good story now. She was someone you went to High school with or college. She lives in Chicago or LA or somewhere. She was in town for A couple of days & looked you up wanted to talk about the old day's You met her for coffee & talked, you took A walk with her & talked. Thats when you ran into her coworkers. The 2 of you finished talking & she left nothing happened. End of story.Your going to have to improvise On the story but you get the gist of it. Unless you want A divorce. Keep in mind you will pay dearly. Then by all means take the advice of all the do goodies that want to see you suffer.
Common Sense Iconoclast
0 likes
Dude, I think you are SOL. Suck it up, buttercup.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open one's mouth and remove all doubt" - Mark Twain (or Lincoln, or Confucius, or...)
Common Sense Iconoclast
0 likes
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than open one's mouth and remove all doubt" - Mark Twain (or Lincoln, or Confucius, or...)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Dude, you're screwed.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
So, this thread started over 3 moths ago. What happened?
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
Honestly your wife doesn't wan't you to logically tell her your cheating. She respects you as a man for cheating and probally the times you have cheated she has been a better wife to you. She also does not want to know or hear about. That's when you break her heart.
#1 Healing Tea, This has been used for thousands of years in Thailand. It has so many uses. I use it for pain relief and mood properties. It puts you in a great mood, makes you happy and motivated. Strains all help pain all uplift mood, all lift depression and anxiety. Make you last longer in bed but red strains are generally more slower strains more pain relief. White strains are faster even more hyper energy, and green is a balance of the red and white, more of a moderate strain. Best healing K in the world all organic and the most potent. Find your sweet spot, guys use only 3-4of the magic tea while girls only usually need 1.5-2.5grams
That link is a moderate strain and a great first strain

#2 How I got my dick longer, but more importantly thicket. Get the bathmate and a guy with an average size dick will give a girl the thickest girth she has ever had, which hits more of her opiate receptors in her pussy which causes her to be addicted to you. You will hit spots in her pussy a skinny dick can't hit. Backed by medical doctors, and science. You can even check out matter of size forum where hundred of people have there penis growth logs.
CHECK MY PROFILE/WEBSITE LINKS-If anyone else had anything life changing recommendations let us/me know
0 likes
I wonder what happened. .clearly. .he left the site right

Huge difference between a one night and an affair

But cheating is cheating

You wish it was nuclear because then you would be annilated to bits

It still goes on..six years later every argument you have..what you did..will be flung in your face

Even if your spouse cut off sex from you and you warned them u didnt want a sexless marriage

You cheated..you will pay the rest of your life...and you will deserve it

Pull the band aid off now..deal with the pain and never do it again

It won't be worth it...ever