Login

Funeral wear for women...

last reply
14 replies
2.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
0 likes
So I am attending several funeral Masses for a family member at a very conservative Roman Catholic church in the very near future. I'm not Roman Catholic, and my closest friend (my former sister-in-law) on that side of the family is not a churchgoing Roman Catholic. The question is, besides wearing the obvious conservative black dresses, do we wear simple black veils with our outfits? Anybody know? Your input would be greatly appreciated.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
I'm not a religious practitioner at all, but where I live the Roman Catholic Church is by far the dominant religion (80%), so when I attend funerals it's usually according to these customs.

I really don't think a veil is necessary, especially if you're only a distant relative to the deceased; it might even be awkward or exaggerated. Usually those are worn by the widow (to hide her tears I guess), but even then I've only rarely seen them.

When my father invited his girlfriend at his own father's funeral, she was dressed similar to this:

So I don't think you need to be overly formal. You should have seen all my horny cousins though.
Lurker
0 likes
At MINE I shall expect YOU ALL dressed in the cutest short skirted formal black... (Except SPRITE who will look like like a VENETITIAN BRIDE from 1760 who's collided with a large inkwell...)

And I shall expect you all to be sobbing...

xx Steph
The Linebacker
0 likes
Quote by stephanie

At MINE I shall expect YOU ALL dressed in the cutest short skirted formal black... (Except SPRITE who will look like like a VENETITIAN BRIDE from 1760 who's collided with a large inkwell...)

And I shall expect you all to be sobbing...

xx Steph

Every time I go to a Catholic Church I wear a t-shirt with a picture of Martin Luther on the front and a picture of Pee Wee Herman on the back. Pee Wee Herman really gets them upset.
Lurker
0 likes
I'm not sure that black is any longer demanded by a church funeral. The funerals I have been to recently have been marked by a variety of blues and greys -- as well as black. The last one I attended I wore a grey shirtwaist dress with a white collar and a dark blue blazer, matching bag and shoes. The hem was just below the knee, which I felt was respectful and appropriate. I sometimes wear a hat. In the winter I do have a navy or a black coat that I might wear over the top.
Convict
0 likes
I'm a born and bred RC. You don't have to wear black and most people do not now however in my opinion wearing black is a sign of respect, but only for a close relative. Veils are definitely not expected. . Smart casual is all that is required here. Don't worry about it too much. Just pick something comfortable. RC's aren't really that scary. Most of us have a seat in hell reserved for the next life. The biggest thing to worry about is how long the service will be.
Hope that helped.
Lurker
0 likes
You could wear a simple conservative black dress, with black tights and heels or what I would wear would be black dress pants with a black sweater with a white button up under it or just a plain nice button up blouse with the dress pants.
Lurker
0 likes
I was brought up RC. I've only been to one funeral several years ago for a friend. We were all asked to wear something bright to celebrate her life. Whilst it was a very sad day, the colour most definitely lifted the ambiance I think, though I've nothing to compare it against.
Sexy Seductive Siren
0 likes
Two considerations - what honors the dead, what honors the living. You don't show up looking like you're ready to go to work at a strip club or as a hooker. You shouldn't bring attention to yourself, religious ceremony/rite or not. Just like a wedding. The deceased should be the center of attention, not you!
Meagan
0 likes
I've been to a few funerals and visitations recently (death seems to be stalking me) and the trend seems to be to wear something more conservative, but not necessarily black. A nice dark dress of any colour that isn't too "hot" or a business-like suit (skirt or slacks). That said, these have all been Protestant affairs. I don't know many RCs.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Gray, black, or purple seem suitable colors for a funeral to me.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Sometimes the person who has sadly passed away may have their own wishes as well. For example my mother did not want anyone wearing black at her funeral .
Lurker
0 likes
I have a simple black dress for just the occasion, conservative neckline and knee level hem.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
First off. What makes you think black is necessary? If you look and feel good in black then wear black. If blue is your color wear blue. Dress for you not what others think you should.