Ice bucket challange

last reply
25 replies
3.5k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
after doing the ice bucket challange just wondered how many lush readers have done it and did you enjoy it, must admit i found it fun todo very refreshing
Prolific Writer
0 likes
I think it is only good to do if people are actually donating money to ALS.....

I think people are doing it, but not donating, which I think is sad.

But this is my opinion.
Story Verifier
0 likes
I think that Macmillan Cancer Support has shot itself in the foot over this one. With 800 million people in need of fresh clean water throughout the world, wasting water in this way just doesn't do it for me. Macmillan do a great job as a charity but this was a foolhardy idea. It was made even worse for me watching George W Bush rise to the challenge the other night and the previous news item showed thousands of refugees in Iraq on the run from ISIS with little food or water.
“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.”
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I think the concept of the challenge is a good idea. But people should bring more awareness to the challenge when they do it. Simply saying you're going to pour a bucket of ice cold water over your head for ALS, and who you nominate isn't bringing awareness to the cause. Too many people are doing it now as a fad and not for the true reason. I wonder how many people actually donating money to said cause, or simply getting their 45 seconds of fame making a video of themselves doing said challenge.

Just my two cents.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Everyone has already seen me in a wet-t-shirt... so just go to alsa.org and donate! :-)
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i skipped the ice bucket and just sent a check - the awareness that this has given ALS is priceless, but that said, yeah, the idea is to donate. if that's not happening, it's a bit of a fail.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Since the Ice Bucket challenge was started over $50 Million dollars has been raised, so I would say its a good bet that a lot of people are doing the ice bucket and donating
0 likes
I think the ice bucket challenge is brilliant on many levels here are a few of my top ones:

1) This challenge has helped to generate nearly $80 million dollars worth of donations (versus $2.5 million the same time last year)

2) Donations this week top $65 million (three times more, since the start of the challenge in the beginning of August). It's predicted over $100 million will be raised by the time it's all said and done.

3) The funds have come from 1.7 million different donors

4) This viral sensation has changed the way various charities can fundraise. Now marketers and charities can connect with the public on a grand scale

5) The fact that people are doing it and not donating is moot point. It's increasing awareness of the disease itself, this challenge can be thanked for that.

6) Shows one person can make a difference by thinking out of the box. Giving hope to thousands around the world that live with this incurable condition.

http://time.com/3173833/als-ice-bucket-challenge-fundraising-total/

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2014/08/26/als-ice-bucket-challenge-donation-total-update-amount-of-money-raised-is-increasing-matt-damon-uses-toilet-water-video/
The night that changed my life, a four part series of a married man lusting after his co-worker

[URL=http://www.lushstories.com/stories/reluctance/the-night-that-changed-my-life-1.aspx][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WPPsy.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Lurker
0 likes
I did it after my best friend nominated me. I also donated to The J9 (MND Association of South Africa) and to Cansa as my mom is fighting Bowel Cancer. Well worth the momentary discomfort to gain a little empathy!
Lurker
0 likes
See, I just saw a bunch of celebs on TV doing it and then some people at a club I go to and I didn't even realise it was for charity. I thought it was like planking.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
My whole family did it as well as donating. We dumped the water over us while standing in a "baby pool" then used the water for wandering cats and dogs around the neighborhood.
Brown Sugar
0 likes
Quote by Dudealicious
I think the ice bucket challenge is brilliant on many levels here are a few of my top ones:

1) This challenge has helped to generate nearly $80 million dollars worth of donations (versus $2.5 million the same time last year)

2) Donations this week top $65 million (three times more, since the start of the challenge in the beginning of August). It's predicted over $100 million will be raised by the time it's all said and done.

3) The funds have come from 1.7 million different donors

4) This viral sensation has changed the way various charities can fundraise. Now marketers and charities can connect with the public on a grand scale

5) The fact that people are doing it and not donating is moot point. It's increasing awareness of the disease itself, this challenge can be thanked for that.

6) Shows one person can make a difference by thinking out of the box. Giving hope to thousands around the world that live with this incurable condition.

http://time.com/3173833/als-ice-bucket-challenge-fundraising-total/

http://bostinno.streetwise.co/2014/08/26/als-ice-bucket-challenge-donation-total-update-amount-of-money-raised-is-increasing-matt-damon-uses-toilet-water-video/

Well stated. I had an aunt to pass from ALS. It's a cruel progressive neurodegenerative disease. Here's more information concerning the donations-to-date:

http://www.alsa.org/news/media/press-releases/ice-bucket-challenge-082514.html
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Something to think about:

The key problem is funding cannibalism. That $3 million in donations doesn’t appear out of a vacuum. Because people on average are limited in how much they’re willing to donate to good causes, if someone donates $100 to the ALS Association, he or she will likely donate less to other charities.

This isn’t just speculation. Research from my own non-profit, which raises money for the most effective global poverty charities, has found that, for every $1 we raise, 50¢ would have been donated anyway. Giving What We Can fundraises for global poverty charities by encouraging people to pledge at least 10% of their income. For everyone who joins, we ask them to estimate what proportion they would have donated otherwise. Averaged among all our members, that amount is greater than 50% (or $150mn out of $300mn). Given our fundraising model, which asks for commitments much larger than the amount people typically donate, we have reason to think that this is a lower proportion than is typical for fundraising drives. So, because of the $3 million that the ALS Association has received, I’d bet that much more than $1.5 million has been lost by other charities.

Link.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by sprite
i skipped the ice bucket and just sent a check - the awareness that this has given ALS is priceless, but that said, yeah, the idea is to donate. if that's not happening, it's a bit of a fail.

This!

At first it was kind of fun but now its more a nuisance seeing some stupid you tube vid every day on the news. Just quietly donate whatever you can afford to ALS and leave getting wet to other more fun pursuits!
Candy Connoisseur
0 likes
Quote by Poppet
I think the concept of the challenge is a good idea. But people should bring more awareness to the challenge when they do it. Simply saying you're going to pour a bucket of ice cold water over your head for ALS, and who you nominate isn't bringing awareness to the cause. Too many people are doing it now as a fad and not for the true reason. I wonder how many people actually donating money to said cause, or simply getting their 45 seconds of fame making a video of themselves doing said challenge.

Just my two cents.

Of course it is. How can you say its not? How many of us who have either heard of someone or done it themselves, knew the foundation existed for this disease? I know I didn't. So raising awareness works. The figures don't lie. I see what you're saying, but the important thing to remember is awareness is more important than the donation. Without people knowing about it, there is no donation. Maybe there are some people doing it for the wrong reasons, but at the end of the day, it's still raisning that all important awareness. We are not talking about educating people about the disease, which I think is also important, but let's not confuse awareness and knowledge.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SydneySider

Of course it is. How can you say its not? How many of us who have either heard of someone or done it themselves, knew the foundation existed for this disease? I know I didn't. So raising awareness works. The figures don't lie. I see what you're saying, but the important thing to remember is awareness is more important than the donation. Without people knowing about it, there is no donation. Maybe there are some people doing it for the wrong reasons, but at the end of the day, it's still raisning that all important awareness. We are not talking about educating people about the disease, which I think is also important, but let's not confuse awareness and knowledge.

But without the donation, does it really matter who knows about it? If we all know about it but no one donates to fund the research, what good is it? Its the chicken or the egg. Both are important!
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
Quote by SydneySider

I know a lot of people are doing it for the right reasons. The funds are proving that. But, I do believe far too many are doing it for the wrong reasons. And yes, people are doing the challenge, yes people are donating, but how many of them are actually researching what ALS even is. It's a toss up for me. I'm glad it is getting awareness, but I think too many are doing it for their 45 seconds of fame. But, I do agree with you to a point. As you did with me. :]
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I don't normally like to join in with Facebook fads, but after watching a video explaining what als is, I did complete my challenge after being nominated. I'd never heard much about als, had no idea how awful it was, now I do, and have donated to a charity that I wouldn't ever have donated to otherwise.

There will always be those people who do it to look good, and people who do things for the wrong reasons, but the money raised must cancel them out!

My hubby did his last night after donating, in a freezing bath of ice!!! Lol

Wonder what the next thing will be...
Try anything once, twice if you like it.
Check out my stories below, enjoy! ;)

https://www.lushstories.com/rubz/stories
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
A lot of good points before all of this I had never heard of als or what it was about because of this challange I now know
Lurker
0 likes
Why did they change the name change from Lou Gehrigs to ALS?

Currently living in a desert with night temps in the 90s and daytime 118, I would love to even be able to see what ice water looks like..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have done the Ice Bucket and also 2 polor Dunks. It's fun..and yes freezing cold..but it's for a good cause.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by angieseroticpen
I think that Macmillan Cancer Support has shot itself in the foot over this one. With 800 million people in need of fresh clean water throughout the world, wasting water in this way just doesn't do it for me. Macmillan do a great job as a charity but this was a foolhardy idea. It was made even worse for me watching George W Bush rise to the challenge the other night and the previous news item showed thousands of refugees in Iraq on the run from ISIS with little food or water.

Being from California I agree completely with you. I don't need to have someone pour cold water on me to give to a charity that is doing good work. I understand they are trying to get attention by this, but still there are a lot better ways to get the point across.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
my dad died from a.l.s. i battled this illness with my dad until his last conscious breath. For me it was beautiful to see people do it, i just couldn't do it myself,too many emotions. Fuckin bitch of a fuckin disease
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yep I’ve done the Ice Bucket challenge twice and Polar Dunk 1 time the Polar dunk was at a Frozen lake the ice was almost a Foot thick. Lol my younger days me and Freinds from college did it. As soon as we did raced to our trucks blasted the Heat on got back to the Apartment and started doing shots of Fireball and and Jack to warm up we even turned the heat up in the Apartment for a couple days. Lol. Fun wild times but for a good cause to help donate for others