last reply
44 replies
4.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Hello there,

I lift weights in the evening most days of the week and because of that, I often have difficulty falling asleep as my adrenaline levels are still high when I go to bed. Since a few months, I've been taking more and more short naps of 30-60 minutes when I get back from work, just before training. I had difficulty falling asleep before, mostly due to my training, so these naps just inadvertently established themselves in my routine and it seems like I'm now trapped in some kind of vicious circle as I don't feel tired until late in the evening.

I usually go to bed at around midnight, then wake up at 7:00 am, which gives me only 7 hours of sleep instead of my preferred 8-9 hours. If I took a nap in the evening the day before however, I don't notice much difference in terms of fatigue/alertness, though that will also likely make me want to nap again when I return home.

The thing is, I actually don't feel more tired during the day and I find these naps to be quite convenient. I always had some difficulty falling asleep (again, mostly due to my training), so now I just return home, take a short nap, train, eat, and go to sleep. Where this is advantageous for me is that I usually fall asleep rather quickly with this regimen, instead of looking at the ceiling for 1-2 hour(s) as I did before. Plus, I get to rest a little before training, which makes me more focused during my session.

Overall, I find these naps to be quite convenient and I usually feel great during the day, but I've been wondering if these naps could be detrimental in the long run. I once read that naps are advantageous to get some quick quality sleep; for example, taking a short nap of 30 minutes could be just as rejuvenating as adding 1 hour of sleep during the night. But taking naps can also make it more difficult to fall asleep later in the evening, though as I've said, I suffered from insomnia before anyway and it's not really 'worse' since I've started taking those naps.

Any advices to share? Thanks!
Head Nurse
0 likes
I love mid day naps, and consider them a requirement.

*note, I stay up all night, so I might not be your best resource here*
Blackbird Supernova
0 likes
These days, I go with necessary. There's no way I get through the day without at least one small cat nap.

For the record, day napping is not my favorite thing in the world. Grrr.
Lurker
0 likes
Before i would have no problem. But now after a day of work and i come home in the afternoon, it's to take a nap. I usually do for an hour.
Lurker
0 likes
I tend to take a half hour nap before I train to keep my energy levels up when I have a hard day.
It is beneficial as it it keeps me going and helps my recovery.
If I feel groggy afterwards I just take my pwo and I come back to normal
Lurker
0 likes
I would love more than four hours. At least once. Though I get less more often than not.
Lurker
0 likes
if i take a nap during the day then i won't sleep at night. and i need my beauty sleep
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I believe siestas are very beneficial. I just can't do them. I have a hell of a time getting to sleep at night. My brain just doesn't want to stop and I've been this way all my life, even when I was growing up on a farm and had to get up before dawn! In fact, if I get more than 7 hours of sleep (rare!), I feel yawny and tapped-out the next day. My natural state is to subsist on about 5 hours of sleep per night.
Chuckanator
0 likes
Like several here, if I take a nap I can't get to sleep. As I get older I find sleep is more elusive. But a nooner is better than a nap if I have a choice.
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
I wish naptimes were available to adults too.

During the work week, I can set my watch when it's 2:30 because all I want is a naptime.

Weekends .... I always have a nap (and during NFL ... I try to nap during a game I'm not interested in! hahaha)
Prolific Writer
0 likes
I often take naps....

Sometimes I really have no choice.

I am a night owl and stay up much to late so eventually I crash and need to catch up..

xo
Lurker
0 likes
A nap in the middle of the day is thoroughly to be recommended. I am an early riser, get a lot done first thing, but after my lunch 40 winks are delicious
Evolving Writer
0 likes
I don't get to take naps during the week but on the week-ends I take a 15 - 20 minute power nap and feel completely renewed. Wish I could take one at work at about 1.
Lurker
0 likes
I am a big fan of the power nap - have been since my early 20's. I find they are a great way to recharge during the day. And I find them especially helpful when I am in a good workout cycle. Not sure if that is because I mostly workout at night - but think they are related.
Lurker
0 likes
They work for me!
Lurker
0 likes
I find them very refreshing if I keep them short 15 to 30 min
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I find an hour nap after my early shift to be refreshing.

This chart was sent to me a while back, I found it to be interesting and helpful.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Even a short nap in the afternoon is helpful. I stay much more focused if I'm doing paperwork.
0 likes
I find I need to switch my brain off after work every day so I'm in the habit of sleeping for an hour or so, then I'm alert all evening. If I don't nap, I'm a disaster zone!!
Lurker
0 likes
detrimental. if i sleep during the day then it throws off my sleep schedule
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Power naps help me to spend more time writing in a 24 span. 2/3 hrs writing, a short nap, and I am renewed to write more. Professional writing is utterly draining work.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't have to have a nap but I can tell a difference in my energy level when I do versus don't. I'm all for a power nap.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I fantasize about having time to take a nap.

I work out with weights usually right after work, occasionally early in the morning. If I did that in the evening, like you, Serene, I'd not be able to sleep. I guess most of us have to work around our work schedules.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Taking a nap when you can is a good thing
Have lots of fun
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Where possible I take a midday nap
Site administrator
0 likes
I used to do this most weekends around lunchtime for an hour or so and always I felt so groggy when I woke up and then didnt sleep properly later. Gave it up a couple of years ago but often feel like doing it I admit.
English Rose
0 likes
I love a sleep on the sofa in the afternoon on my days off. I'd never go to bed for that though. There's something just nice about it being the sofa, though I sometimes grab the duvet off the bed in the winter months.
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/fetish/worship-my-bum.aspx
My new story has been awarded the Recommended Read. If you adore a needy bottom and fancy a short, but very naughty read...
The Bee's Knees
0 likes
as someone who suffers from insomnia, midday naps have been my life saver! by the time they roll around, i'm in desperate need of sleep. i set my cell and allow myself to sleep for up to 30 minutes.

Say. Her. Name.

Lurker
0 likes
At my age, most definitely beneficial.