Narrator's Gender: Does it matter?

last reply
45 replies
4.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Does the narrator's gender matter to you? Do you prefer they are of the same sex or different?
Clumeleon
0 likes
Would the reader necessarily be privy to the narrator's gender? Even in first-person pieces of writing, the author may not reveal (or, indeed, purposefully conceal) the gender of the narrator.

I don't have a preference for either a male or female narrator, that I'm aware of. I suppose some people would prefer, for the sake of relatability, to read stories narrated by someone of their own gender. I find, however, that I can relate plenty to a well-written female character/narrator.

It's not about gender; it's about the way its written. It's about creating empathy, and intrigue. It's about telling a story that everyone wants to hear, regardless of gender.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by clum
Would the reader necessarily be privy to the narrator's gender? Even in first-person pieces of writing, the author may not reveal (or, indeed, purposefully conceal) the gender of the narrator.

I don't have a preference for either a male or female narrator, that I'm aware of. I suppose some people would prefer, for the sake of relatability, to read stories narrated by someone of their own gender. I find, however, that I can relate plenty to a well-written female character/narrator.

It's not about gender; it's about the way its written. It's about creating empathy, and intrigue. It's about telling a story that everyone wants to hear, regardless of gender.

Get this man a beer.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
If I had to choose I probably would say female, but that isn't really the issue. What is more important to me is that the narrator feels real. Men and women have very subtle differences in the ways they express themselves and that can be hard to adjust as an author. It is more important that the narrators gender fits to the story than what that gender actually is.
Unicorn Wrangler
0 likes
This is one that's never really phased me. Sure I relate to a female narrator more than a male, but if the story is well written, it's a minor & mute point. Sometimes seeing how a man thinks (which is different from the way a woman thinks) helps me as a writer. It helps me create better male characters in my stories. I have read great stories with male narrators and horrid ones with female narrators (mind you, these are stories in 1st person POV.)

Good writing is just that... good writing. Male or female narrator shouldn't make a difference. And for me, it doesn't.
Lurker
0 likes
It doesnt matter to me, as long as the story you are reading is well written and sucks you in and forget about whats going on.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
I kind of feel like I have to consider this when I write. I think both genders prefer to read stories from a woman's view, for different reasons of course. I'm no different really.

When I write, I do my best to remember that and to provide imagery and emotion that might appeal to both. I think I do well for the most part. Sometimes I wonder though, how much of the fantasy is dampened for the reader just knowing I'm a man writing it?

That's something I'll probably never really know.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by clum

I think to some extent just seeing the avatar makes a difference to some readers. If one were to survey the views and scores, this is born out. I'm not complaining about it, but I think many men especially are turned off by male writers from the outset.
Lurker
0 likes
It depends on what mood I'm in and what I actually want to read about.

I really enjoy male main characters, but your main character isn't necessarily going to be the narrator. They are if it's 1st person. But in 3rd person the narrator can be entirely unknown.
Cheeky Chick
0 likes
I don't care which gender I'm reading from, though I notice most people, even men, write from the female POV. But, to me it doesn't matter. I can pretend to be a male as I read a story. I've written in both male and female POVs, so it is no matter to me.
Mazztastic
0 likes
I like both, if it's well written, then I can get into the story and not really think about that.

Sometimes I'll read a male writing a female POV or vice versa and they'll not quite get it right and that does distract from the story...

I've written from a male POV a few times and I haven't done audios for those - The lovely Clum did though. In saying that, I've been told that if it's well read, then people won't notice if a female reads a male part, but I've never had the baws to do it...
Lurker
0 likes
Matters not to me! A good story is a good story, regardless of who wrote it.
The Linebacker
0 likes
I have no preference. If it's well written, has a great plot, and great action, then I am well pleased.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes, it matters to me. In fact, I only read stories where the narrator is female.
Lurker
0 likes
I think it matters. How can a male describe a female orgasm. Thankyou for your question
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by traddis
I think it matters. How can a male describe a female orgasm. Thankyou for your question

I will write from a male perspective from time to time - I've been with enough guys to have a good idea about what an make orgasm looks like, sounds like, feels like to create a believable scene. Really, if you need help, just ask a girl to describe an orgasm, or read the description of an orgasm in a story penned by a female writer, then put it into your own words - any good writer should be able to take an experience, even one they've never experienced before, and make the reader buy into it - I mean, people write about dragons and orcs and elves and all that without having experienced any of them in reality. Just use your imagination.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Devil's Advocate
0 likes
Quote by sprite

I mean, people write about dragons and orcs and elves and all that without having experienced any of them in reality. Just use your imagination.

I've seen a dragon.

I prefer first person stories from the female point of view, but of course, I'll read both. And I'd much prefer a well-written male perspective than a lesser quality female one.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
English Rose
0 likes
The gender of the narrator doesn't bother me. It's the quality of the story that's important.

I personally only write 1st person as my own stories are usually based in one way or another on my own experiences.
https://www.lushstories.com/stories/fetish/worship-my-bum.aspx
My new story has been awarded the Recommended Read. If you adore a needy bottom and fancy a short, but very naughty read...
Lurker
0 likes
For some reason, when I read stories written by a male from the female POV, my skepticism is raised. I do (unintentionally) start picking out any inconsistencies in female arousal/orgasms, behaviour, etc. But of course a story can still distract me from fault-finding with a brilliant plot and a gorgeous style of writing.

A funny experience...
A guy on here was convinced I was a male because of a quickie sex story I wrote from the male POV.
Must've done something right there...
0 likes
Doesn't matter to me, as long as the story is well-written. I generally write from the female POV, although my foray into writing from the male POV (in "Silken Smoke") was both challenging and interesting.

ETA: Apologies for the essential double post...I didn't notice that I'd posted on this topic before.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Leaving the sex of the narrator ambiguous can allow you put in a unexpected twist.

A draft of Unreserved Seating had the narrator reveal herself as a woman at the end. Ultimately, I didn't think the story needed it but it can still be read either in a male voice or a female voice. I guess if my avatar was of a woman it would more likely be read as a woman by people who don't know me.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/masturbation/unreserved-seating.aspx
Warning: The opinions above are those of an anonymous individual on the internet. They are opinions, unless they're facts. They may be ill-informed, out of touch with reality or just plain stupid. They may contain traces of irony. If reading these opinions causes you to be become outraged or you start displaying the symptoms of outrage, stop reading them immediately. If symptoms persist, consult a psychiatrist.

Why not read some stories instead

NEW! Want a quick read for your coffee break? Why not try this... Flash Erotica: Scrubber
Lurker
0 likes
Too me it doesn't matter one bit if the storys good enough and most of the writers on here are !

I've read stories written by men writing about women which have been amazing and so good that you wouldn't believe its a man writing it... and the same goes for women writing as men

Its all down too the author and Lush has some of the worlds best in my opinion!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by clum

I agree with you!
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Not at all!
Lurker
0 likes
It's more about the quality of the story itself.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I tend to read the story first before checking out the author's profile, so my answer's no. Then if I find that it was written by the author from the Pov of the opposite gender, either I get amused or amazed (depending on how I like the work).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Like most everything, yes...and no. I find male authors usually write more to the style that I like to read. I suppose it's bc they share similar interests with me as a male so they hit the points I want to know while engrossing myself in the fantasy. Not all are able to though.

With that said, I genuinely get more turned on if I know a woman wrote the story and it still hits all the details and flow that I like. I love knowing that she knows how my mind works and is leading me through the maze of the unknown and showing me what I want to see without me telling her.

And stories with audio, I only get aroused by female voices. But can appreciate a males well recorded and written story.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Yes. I prefer a woman's POV. Just being inside their head gives me a little erotic jolt.

I think it is harder for men to write from a woman's POV than it is for women to write from a male POV. It's like those profiles than claim to be woman but scream out "I'm really a guy!" Men are way more predictable in what turns them on. Women are continually surprising (to me, anyway) as to what make them purr. It's that "secret garden" thing.

Personally, I love writing from a woman's POV, but I approach it with caution. I've only done it once here.