Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Combination of a Story that is written in both First and Third person.

last reply
5 replies
1.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Hello,to everyone that is reading this.I recently started writing again.And sometimes I get stuck with my writing before,I put pen to paper or type it up because I can't decide in which way I want to write it. First or Third person.So i thought why not try both in one story.I have heard that,it is mostly done in some novels or stories that have parts.I have yet to find any stories with both elements.

If anyone would be kind enough to recommend any stories that have both third and first person writing in it,I would surely appreciate it.Please post a link if you have any recommendations to any stories with both these elements.Tips and advice are appreciated too.

Devil's Advocate
0 likes
I know James Patterson writes like that, following his detective protagonist in first person, while cutting away to third person scenes to show his readers what the killer is up to.

I don't know that I've come across any erotic short stories like that though. I started to write one myself recently, with about 1,000 word scenes in first person, with 250 word third person inserts to reveal necessary plot points outside the main character's observation and otherwise break up the time between scenes. I actually thought it was going quite nicely, but the story itself was too much of a grind, so I gave it up.

As for the flipping between perspectives, I thought it was important to keep them consistently paced, hence 1,000 words in first and 250 in third. The first person sections took their time to explore things, whereas the third person bits inserted snipets of tension. I imagined it a bit like a movie, watching the family happily going about their business, with short cutaways to the bad guys thundering up the mountain path towards them on horseback.

I guess my point is, do it for a good reason. Otherwise it might just look like you couldn't make your mind up. Good luck with it though. I'll be interested to check it out when you're done.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Wilful
I know James Patterson writes like that

This was exactly the same first thought that came to my mind.

If you're going to do it here (and I don't really advise it), then you have to be very clear about your purpose for doing so, and readers would have to be able to clearly distinguish the switch.

It could be done to present different perspectives. It's quite a skilful technique to employ in amateur erotica. Making hard work for yourself, I would say.
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
Interesting you mention this.

The current story I'm working on, that's headed more to the length of a novella, employs this. However, based on the content of the story, it's genre, and the intended purpose, I've been able to streamline it effectively. And it isn't throughout the story. It only pops up in basically one extended scene.

You really have to be skilled to do it though and the intent has to be clear.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Six years ago, I was writing in collaboration with another writer in the UK, and we began a sexualized re-interpretation of a famous epic tale from Sumerian mythology by passing the introductory storyline back and forth between her first-person POV, and mine, until our characters met and began their journey together, at which point we changed the narrative to third-person. I have been struggling to edit this work to be suitable for presentation here on Lush, but the 20,000 word-count, and the change from 1st to third person narrative has been a challenge. I considered marking each section with a symbol or legend: 0oo for my first-person part, oo0 for Melissa's, and then o0o for the third-person narrative, which constitutes the greatest portion of the work. If any mods reading this have a better suggestion how to handle this, I'd be interested in considering their suggestions, short of converting the first-person introductions to third-person, which would substantially diminish the meaning of the story.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by BethanyFrasier
If any mods reading this have a better suggestion how to handle this, I'd be interested in considering their suggestions, short of converting the first-person introductions to third-person, which would substantially diminish the meaning of the story.

write it entirely in ancient Sumerian. since none of us know how to read it, we'll probably not catch the POV changes. biggrin

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.