Healthy One-Pot Recipies? Help!

last reply
18 replies
2.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
So my boyfriend was recently diagnosed as diabetic, and he can't eat ginger, chilli or soy because he has allergies (I swear, he's the most difficult eater ). We only have a hob at the moment as our oven broke. I've run out of things to cook for him that are a) healthy b) cheap and c) quick. Gah! Any ideas? Help is much appreciated!

I've tried risottos, stews, stirfries, pastas...
Head Nurse
0 likes
Personally, Im a big proponent of paleo. so my favorites incorporate their guidelines.

I tend to do these as one pots:

cabbage, sausage and apples.
I cut and brown my cabbage with onions, then top with sausage(nitrate free, country style, because that is my preference) and chopped onion. I toss my cast iron pan in the oven until all is cooked throughout. its fantastic and even non vegatable eaters think its delicious.

i do a similar thing with pork chops sweet potatoes and cranberries.

brown the onions and the sweet potato chunks. top with pork and cranberries.

basically do your own combination. meat, veggie, accent. i also add salt, thyme, and garlic to a lot of my stuff. but thats my preference. The fun thing about cooking is trying stuff and seeing what YOU like. these are my favorites, but youll have others. I stay away from regular potatoes and pastas(high starch levels). i love my greens, high fiber, vit K, and iron smile these work for me because i can start them, go run and they are ready when im out of the shower, before i head to work.
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Brown rice and veggies and chicken and a healthy dose of soy sauce. Easy and healthy and yummy.
0 likes
Cabbage, potatoes, meat of some variety...toss in pot with chicken broth, cook covered over medium heat until meat is done, season with something like Trader Joe's (not sure if they have those in the UK) Smoke seasoning. Low salt, low fat, no soy, nothing for the b/f to be allergic to (and I have one food allergy, so I understand how severe they can be). Also, maybe talk to the diabetes nurse at his GP's clinic about cookbooks for diabetics? http://www.diabetes.org.uk/
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Lurker
0 likes
healthy, cheep and quick you say.. It is not easy one. However, what I do know about diabetics is that they should reduce salt to a minimum. No fried food, no greasy food, no heavy food, no sugar of course, with limited fruits as well. They should eat steamed vegetables (or boiled for couple of minutes literally) without any salt, some meat aside without sauces or any other additions but salt and pepper. You should check which kind of fish he can eat, but for sure he cannot have any pre-prepared, pre-cooked or frozen food at all (if it is not plain vegetable)

So, one pots if it is not soup or vegetable minestrone, is quite heavy thing. He should avoid one pots actually, they are heavy, they need to be cooked for a while and the product is not good for your boyfriend.

for my veggie soup with cheek-peas you'll need
-onion (fried on one spoon of olive oil until brownish)
-add small cubes chopped tomato with 3 spoons of water to help it start cooking
-then add green beans cut on thirds and add just a bit off water
-add spinach leaves and water to cover the whole thing
-add pre-soaked and precooked cheek-peas (do not add salt to dry cheek-peas until they are completely cooked, otherwise you'll never get them soft and tasty.

Leave it on fire until veggies are cooked, about 15-20 min, add very few salt and pepper.

If you cannot eat it like that you can always blend it, but it would be a shame since texture of it is delicious. smile But the best thing for your household is to get educated about illness. I am sure any doctor will help you with advise what and how to eat by the new regime. good luck.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
You and do this sautee some chicken and a mix of vegetables and some garlic add a little chicken stock and some can dice tomatoes and corn and some black beans. For the spices a little cummion and chile power
Salt and pepper. And place over some brown rice. It is quoce and cheep it take all of 20 to 30 mins
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by She
healthy, cheep and quick you say.. It is not easy one. However, what I do know about diabetics is that they should reduce salt to a minimum. No fried food, no greasy food, no heavy food, no sugar of course, with limited fruits as well. They should eat steamed vegetables (or boiled for couple of minutes literally) without any salt, some meat aside without sauces or any other additions but salt and pepper. You should check which kind of fish he can eat, but for sure he cannot have any pre-prepared, pre-cooked or frozen food at all (if it is not plain vegetable)

So, one pots if it is not soup or vegetable minestrone, is quite heavy thing. He should avoid one pots actually, they are heavy, they need to be cooked for a while and the product is not good for your boyfriend.

for my veggie soup with cheek-peas you'll need
-onion (fried on one spoon of olive oil until brownish)
-add small cubes chopped tomato with 3 spoons of water to help it start cooking
-then add green beans cut on thirds and add just a bit off water
-add spinach leaves and water to cover the whole thing
-add pre-soaked and precooked cheek-peas (do not add salt to dry cheek-peas until they are completely cooked, otherwise you'll never get them soft and tasty.

Leave it on fire until veggies are cooked, about 15-20 min, add very few salt and pepper.

If you cannot eat it like that you can always blend it, but it would be a shame since texture of it is delicious. smile But the best thing for your household is to get educated about illness. I am sure any doctor will help you with advise what and how to eat by the new regime. good luck.

the veggie soup might be good, but otherwise, dont look at this post for diabetic advice.

Diabetes involves either a) an inability for the body to produce insulin (type I) or b) resistance to insulin (typeII) although low salt is a good step in general, it leads to lower blood pressure, the main issue is actually starch.

The body breaks down and utilizes starch via insulin, thus low starch assists the body. so a low pasta, potato, and bread content is the much more important. there are a lot of good one pot cheap suggestions on this thread.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dirty_D

the veggie soup might be good, but otherwise, dont look at this post for diabetic advice.

Diabetes involves either a) an inability for the body to produce insulin (type I) or b) resistance to insulin (typeII) although low salt is a good step in general, it leads to lower blood pressure, the main issue is actually starch.

The body breaks down and utilizes starch via insulin, thus low starch assists the body. so low pasta, potato, and bread content is the much more important. there are a lot of good one pot cheap suggestions on this thread.

by coincidence I read a few days ago that actually carbohydrates (such is pasta, bread and other pastry) are not so good for the patients with insulin problems (but cereals are in most unrefined form possible) proteins actually helped to improve health. how accurate it is I don't know, but my post is quite accurate for diabetics and their diet, at least where I come from, and to tell you the truth US is quite high on the list with diabetics and diets for it might not be that accurate or people are not following them..
The whole point of diet for diabetics is the way food is prepared, it shouldn't be overly cooked with tons of adjectives like broth stocks, salt, soy sauce, already prepared sauces (anything that is already prepared to easy our life, not even caned things..), it should be light, by that I mean, steamed, cooked for few minutes or baked but only on bit of oil separately than other ingredients on the plate. light plate.
there is tons about the diabetic daily plate on the internet.

this is how light plate looks like

beside, there are few reasons why someone becomes diabetic..three mayor reasons are that maybe someone inherited it, or because of the high stress or because of unhealthy eating habit which is, heavy greasy food, pastry and bread, sugar..and if you combine that with alcohol and sodas, there it goes..
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by She

by coincidence I read a few days ago that actually carbohydrates (such is pasta, bread and other pastry) are not so good for the patients with insulin problems (but cereals are in most unrefined form possible) proteins actually helped to improve health. how accurate it is I don't know, but my post is quite accurate for diabetics and their diet, at least where I come from, and to tell you the truth US is quite high on the list with diabetics and diets for it might not be that accurate or people are not following them..
The whole point of diet for diabetics is the way food is prepared, it shouldn't be overly cooked with tons of adjectives like broth stocks, salt, soy sauce, already prepared sauces (anything that is already prepared to easy our life, not even caned things..), it should be light, by that I mean, steamed, cooked for few minutes or baked but only on bit of oil separately than other ingredients on the plate. light plate.
there is tons about the diabetic daily plate on the internet.

this is how light plate looks like

beside, there are few reasons why someone becomes diabetic..three mayor reasons are that maybe someone inherited it, or because of the high stress or because of unhealthy eating habit which is, heavy greasy food, pastry and bread, sugar..

*coughs politely* ummm, starchs ARE carbohydrates. The simple ones are the worst.

Additives aren't good for anyone, and added salt increases the fluid load on the body, and on the kidneys. Although Hypertension is a concern with diabetics, the focus is always the carb, or starch, load.

Here's how it works for laymen:

Think of your body like a school. Classrooms are like cells, with bloodstreams(halls) outside. In those halls are hundreds of children running around causing chaos (carbs/starchs). They need to get into the cells to do work. However there are doors on all the openings. Insulin is like the handle that turns the knob.

The number one thing you can do for diabetes though is exercise. If insulin opens the door, Exercise puts more doors there. In otherwords, the more you walk, run, skip, swim, jump, do something besides sit on the couch, the more insulin receptors your body produces and the more responsive your body is to insulin.

I strongly echo what Hera Talia said: get in touch with your local diabetic educator, many communities have them. They are an invaluable resource to not just find information, after all anyone with a smart phone can do that, but helping you understand What is going on in the body, why it is happening, and the best way for you to incorporate this new knowledge into your life with the maximum affect.
Lurker
0 likes
nothing to see here people, double post, sorry for that (funny in three min gap! Gav??)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dirty_D

*coughs politely* ummm, starchs ARE carbohydrates. The simple ones are the worst.

Additives aren't good for anyone, and added salt increases the fluid load on the body, and on the kidneys. Although Hypertension is a concern with diabetics, the focus is always the carb, or starch, load.

Here's how it works for laymen:

Think of your body like a school. Classrooms are like cells, with bloodstreams(halls) outside. In those halls are hundreds of children running around causing chaos (carbs/starchs). They need to get into the cells to do work. However there are doors on all the openings. Insulin is like the handle that turns the knob.

The number one thing you can do for diabetes though is exercise. If insulin opens the door, Exercise puts more doors there. In otherwords, the more you walk, run, skip, swim, jump, do something besides sit on the couch, the more insulin receptors your body produces and the more responsive your body is to insulin.

hahha you might be right, but you know damn well that healthier way to find starch is in other food than in bread and pasta, I know you know that smile. I am not advocating the new theory, I mentioned what I read specially after your post about pasta and bread. I was trying to explain myself and my first post. I think there is absolutely nothing better to do (if we ignore new research about the proteins) food wise for diabetics. And you are right, exercise is number one, but I am sure doctor has mentioned that to OP's man.
beside as I said before, he needs to educate himself about his diet with his doctors, I am sure they are helpful at least they are here across the Atlantic.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by She

hahha you might be right, but you know damn well that healthier way to find starch is in other food than in bread and pasta, I know you know that smile. I am not advocating the new theory, I mentioned what I read specially after your post about pasta and bread. I was trying to explain myself and my first post. I think there is absolutely nothing better to do (if we ignore new research about the proteins) food wise for diabetics. And you are right, exercise is number one, but I am sure doctor has mentioned that to OP's man.
beside as I said before, he needs to educate himself about his diet with his doctors, I am sure they are helpful at least they are here across the Atlantic.

if you read my first response to you, you would have seen I said to avoid high starch foods. Read my initial post, I am a strong advocate for a paleo diet. I eat fruits, vegatables and meat, very very few starches, and those typically from sweet potatoes or those fruits. example: today I am having grilled chicken on a strawberry/romaine salad, toss with a vinaigrette.

for the record OP, this would be an excellent one pan meal, grill your chicken, seasoned as you like, im a fan of pepper, salt and thyme. slice and toss with greens of your choice and a few sliced strawberries. delicious, satisfies my sweet tooth, and is relatively low in carbs. (strawberries have some, they are a source of fructose, but those are more complex then the white flours and sucrose)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dirty_D

if you read my first response to you, you would have seen I said to avoid high starch foods. Read my initial post, I am a strong advocate for a paleo diet. I eat fruits, vegatables and meat, very very few starches, and those typically from sweet potatoes or those fruits. example: today I am having grilled chicken on a strawberry/romaine salad, toss with a vinaigrette.

for the record OP, this would be an excellent one pan meal, grill your chicken, seasoned as you like, im a fan of pepper, salt and thyme. slice and toss with greens of your choice and a few sliced strawberries. delicious, satisfies my sweet tooth, and is relatively low in carbs. (strawberries have some, they are a source of fructose, but those are more complex then the white flours and sucrose)

I cannot help myself but to nit pick this, sorry. You discarded my initial post to the OP, not really sure why, maybe because I am against one pots when it comes for diabetic diet and you are pro them..you did say that "low starch assists the body. so a low pasta, potato, and bread content is the much more important" and I don't think that low starch in pasta and bread is good for anyone specially for diabetics.
honestly there is nothing better on the diet market for diabetics as my suggestions to the OP (apart from the new protein theory), or let me refraze this and make every one happy, there is nothing better on the diet market for diabetics in my part of the world and what I know about it.
Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by She

I cannot help myself but to nit pick this, sorry. You discarded my initial post to the OP, not really sure why, maybe because I am against one pots when it comes for diabetic diet and you are pro them..you did say that "low starch assists the body. so a low pasta, potato, and bread content is the much more important" and I don't think that low starch in pasta and bread is good for anyone specially for diabetics.
honestly there is nothing better on the diet market for diabetics as my suggestions to the OP (apart from the new protein theory), or let me refraze this and make every one happy, there is nothing better on the diet market for diabetics in my part of the world and what I know about it.

Lol.. i too cannot stop.

Are you by any chance not english first? because I think you are misunderstanding everything I said.

I said DONT eat starches, aim for a LOW(or no) starch diet. I am NOT an advocate for flour(again read my first post, I attempt to stay paleo, which disallows wheat, soy, and potatoes as well as others)

I think maybe we are having a translation issue?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dirty_D

Lol.. i too cannot stop.

Are you by any chance not english first? because I think you are misunderstanding everything I said.

I said DONT eat starches, aim for a LOW(or no) starch diet. I am NOT an advocate for flour(again read my first post, I attempt to stay paleo, which disallows wheat, soy, and potatoes as well as others)

I think maybe we are having a translation issue?

lol, of course i am not english first (nor second, lol) isn't that obvious!! lets not ruin this important issue to the OP, we both presented our thoughts about the subject, hopefully mine is readable to her as well ;)
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
I make a delicious chicken tortilla soup, but I don't know how healthy it is for diabetics since it is topped with crispy tortilla strips (empty carbs and salt!), but its SO good! Write me if you're interested, and I'll give you my recipe!
Lurker
0 likes
Bake the tortillas and spray with a mix of water and olive oil. Just as good.
Sea salt not regular salt. I think your love for him shines through.
Good luck.
Lurker
0 likes
Good luck.
Lurker
0 likes
Good luck.
Lurker
0 likes
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions! For the record, we know what we're supposed to eat, it's just looking for new ideas! Loving the sweet potato idea, strawberry salad, never had it but might do that tonight! Never had black beans, sounds great, though! And the tortilla soup would be fab, but we don't have an oven! Might try when we get it sorted...

As far as I'm aware, Diabetes advice varies from country to country. We follow Diabetes UK's advice,which has been working really well so far, in that he was only diagnosed about 7 weeks ago and his blood sugar is stable within 1 unit of where it needs to be.

We're basically ignore all the misconceptions, having everything in moderation (including moderation!), reducing out salt and quick-release sugar intake, spreading the carbs over the course of the day rather than having it all in one meal and have the least processed carbs we can have (such as wholegrain rice, brown bread, pearl barley, lentils, etc). I'll be looking at the Paleo stuff, but might need to factor in more carbs, simply because of the risk of hypoglycemia.

Again, thanks for all the help! xxx

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Two 15 ounce cans black-eyed peas drained and rinsed, 1/4 red onion, finely chopped, 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley, 1/4 cup red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 3 cloves garlic minced, 2 plum tomatoes seeded and chopped, 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped, 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped, Dash hot sauce, such as Tabasco, Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper and Tortilla chips, for serving.

Combine the black-eyed peas, red onions, parsley, vinegar, oil, garlic, tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers and hot sauce in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 3 hours and up to 24 hours. Serve with tortilla chips smile