When is a story 'finished'?

last reply
32 replies
3.6k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Coming up with ideas and STARTING to write stories is quite easy for me, but then begins the process of editing, proofreading and finalising them. My problem is that I every time I update a story, I think "I'll go away and give it one last read-through later before I post it", but then I come back some time later and always seem to find more things to tweak, add or change... I always feel like I can make it better.

So, fellow writers, my question is this: when do you finally stop fiddling with a story and how do you decide that it is finished and ready to share?
Head Nurse
0 likes
When I am happy with it. If I'm still tweaking, I'm not ready to post.
Brown Sugar
0 likes
A story is 'finished' after I beat it to death with my edits, revisions, and re-writes. For erotic stories, when I can read it aloud, smile, and become aroused the story is ripe and ready to go. A story missing any of those three elements is green and eligible for additional tweaking.
Rainbow Warrior
0 likes
Its never finished, as I've learned from joining this site. Its like your child that you release into the world and hope for the best, but you always feel you could have done something more for it. Sometimes you can. Sometimes not.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Possibly
A story is 'finished' after I beat it to death with my edits, revisions, and re-writes. For erotic stories, when I can read it aloud, smile, and become aroused the story is ripe and ready to go. A story missing any of those three elements is green and eligible for additional tweaking.

I'm the exact same way now...thanks to you. Working with you made really look at my tales super-seriously.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I consider a story finished when I have written the last word, edited it about ten times and have read through it so many times my eyes go a little bit cross eyed, and I can't stand to look at it one more time.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
when you type "the end" at the end.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
LOL @ Sprite

I declare it's finished when I read through without finding any editing errors. Aside that - I used to be very unsure of myself, always 2nd guessing my writing decisions. I got over that with time and experience. The stronger your writing abilities become the less stressful the writing process is. Especially when you have reading and response stats that Lush can give (how many people read a piece - comments and votes - and the ability to ask people who have read your work what they thought in a more private PM type setting).

All these things were highly beneficial for me. I know what's more likely to be received well and what isn't. Less guesswork.

Also - having a strong sense of plot or a goal in mind is very helpful. Now I don't really write stories without a sense of what I'm trying to accomplish, though I used to just sit down and write write until it wandered to something like an end-ish.

The actual line depends on the story, however - the overall complexity of the piece and the topics covered. Some pieces are mostly plot and little else, those are easier for me. Other pieces that involve a strong emotional character arc take more work to ensure it all comes out right.

So once my pre-story goals are accomplished then I focus on editing.
Devil's Advocate
0 likes
I think where it feels natural to end it.

What's the story about? What's the goal, or the point of it? If it's all about getting in her, then the end should be shortly after the good bit, with just a little aftermath so that the reader is left with the right taste in their mouth.

I rush a lot of my endings, simply because I run out of space in the 10,000 word limit, or 1,500 words, or whatever it might be. I usually have big, elaborate anal scenes planned out that I never have room for. But in hindsight, I don't actually need them. They don't add anything to the story.

As for editing the shit out of it, I tend to do that as I go, with maybe half a dozen read throughs at the end. I try not to over-think it too much. Once it's done, I just want to get it out there as quickly as I can, so that I can torture myself over the external validation of views, votes and comments.
My latest story is a racy little piece about what happens when someone cute from work invites you over to watch Netflix and Chill.
0 likes
Finished finally when I feel the reader will get the point of wanting more. From what I write or will write in future
Orgasm Aficionado
0 likes
I've learnt to be less precious about what I write. I once had a story printed in a magazine and they highlighted a bit of text which had a grammatical mistake in it. I went back to the document which I had written three months earlier and there it was.

Write the story; edit to the point where you're happy with it but accept that it might not be perfect. Move on.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by AbigailThornton
I've learnt to be less precious about what I write. I once had a story printed in a magazine and they highlighted a bit of text which had a grammatical mistake in it. I went back to the document which I had written three months earlier and there it was.

Write the story; edit to the point where you're happy with it but accept that it might not be perfect. Move on.

This is a good point: how much effort is put into it might depend on the venue it's being published in.

When I publish my research findings everything must be 100% accurate. The collegiate crowd does not tolerate even the slightest mistake - so that means I send it to an outside line editor who redlines errors after I've put it through my own personal rigorous process.

It's always an options - people at fiverr do editing for low cost (though no gaurantee for quality)
Lurker
0 likes
"and they lived happily ever after"
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
When your characters tell you to fuck off already and leave them to their vices and devices.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by MadMartigan
When your characters tell you to fuck off already and leave them to their vices and devices.

or they try to kill you...

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

The Linebacker
0 likes
"It ain’t over till it’s over."
– Yogi Berra
Gravelly-Voiced Fucker
0 likes
Never. Ever. Ever. I've rewritten stuff years later.

The day I'm fully satisfied with my writing is the day I need to quit writing.
Certified Mind Reader
0 likes

Post-avant-retro-demelodicized-electro-yodel-core is my jam.

Lurker
0 likes
That day you re-read it for the twelfth time and your no longer horny !
0 likes
When it feels "right". Everything happens as it should given the story's internal logic. And then I spend another week proofreading it to death.
0 likes
When you proofread it, maybe add a word but find no huge awful parts, it's done.
Wild at Heart
0 likes
When you stop caring about making it better.
Nerdzilla
0 likes
Quote by Magical_felix
When you stop caring about making it better.

lol yep. This.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Buz
"It ain’t over till it’s over."

Perfect and when you get tired of reading your own work
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Buz
"It ain’t over till it’s over." Yogi was right!

Perfect and when you get tired of reading your own work
Chuckanator
0 likes
As for me, I'm never completely satisfied. I can take any of my stories and rerwite them, including my best. I find it funny that the lowest rated story I published with virtually just one proof read got more views than my best stories including competition winner. Lol.

https://www.lushstories.com/stories/quickie-sex/a-new-adventure.aspx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As someone once told me "Your writing is finished only when you are totally fed up with it."
News of ALL my novels (and where to get free copies) via charmbrights@yahoo.co.uk
0 likes
At some point in the editing process, I start needlessly rearranging sentences and then putting them back where they were. At that point, I call it "finished".
Wild at Heart
0 likes
Quote by Delphi

lol yep. This.

I was actually kinda serious.. George Lucas said that films are never finished, they're abandoned. I think it's the same for stories.