last reply
6 replies
1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Lubricants: Recommendations and Advices

Any recommendations, advices or tips to share regarding sexual lubricants? Please share!

Personally, I always use water-based lubricants (if needed), and prefer ones that aren't too thick. This also applies when I masturbate or use sex toys (ie. masturbation sleeves).

Apparently using oils or other products which aren't specifically designed to use in the vagina can lead to yeast infections (eg. vegetable oil, baby oil, comestible products, etc.). I'm not sure about Vaseline, but never used it because it's way too thick to my liking.

Here's a scientific evaluation of lubricants I found some time ago, for those of you with a scientific mind: link.
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Random question(s) that maybe someone with a degree in biology/chemistry can answer:

Do you believe it would be dangerous to dilute a lubricant with tap water? For how long could it be stored?

I did this some time ago with a lubricant that was too thick, but only used it to masturbate. I was quite afraid to use it with a partner.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy
Random question(s) that maybe someone with a degree in biology/chemistry can answer:

Do you believe it would be dangerous to dilute a lubricant with tap water? For how long could it be stored?

I did this some time ago with a lubricant that was too thick, but only used it to masturbate. I was quite afraid to use it with a partner.

Why afraid?
If it's water based it lessens the thickness therefore the lubrication.
Mazztastic
0 likes
Many couples need/prefer lube during sex. However, many commercial lubricants can be irritating (or just aren’t quite right). Ingredients that many women find irritating are alcohol (most gel based lubricants) and glycerin and paraben (most water based lubes), never mind the stuff they add for smell and taste.

A great option for those who find commercial lubes irritating or are troubled by the fact than many of the ingredients remain unpronounceable to everyone but organic chemists is coconut oil. Yes, the stuff you use for cooking. You can buy it at most drug stores and at Safeway prices of $9 for a massive jar it is also a lot cheaper than that tiny little bottle of Slippery Stuff.

Coconut oil is a solid at room temperature, but as soon as you glop
a bit on your hands it starts to melt. If you rub a bit quickly in your hands for a few seconds you immediately have a liquid.

Oil based lubricants provide a lot of staying power (they cling well to the tissues), so reapplication in all but the most, uh, robust sessions is generally not needed (although, not that it matters, if you need/prefer more lube, so be it!). Also, because the oil provides a thicker coating than silicone, water, or gel based lubricants it is often preferred by post menopausal women who are not using estrogen or women with increased vulvovaginal sensitivities (such as women with vulvodynia, a vulvar pain syndrome).

You can also use Crisco, but fully hydrogenated oils for sex sounds, uh, well, unsexy. And I am still unconvinced that they are a good idea health wise. Olive oil is also an option, but in general my patients seem to prefer coconut oil. It seems to be a hands down winner in the taste, texture, and aroma departments.

The only down side with coconut oil is that you can’t use it with latex condoms because oil degrades latex.

The other upside of coconut oil is that it works a great moisturizer for dry skin!

I can't sing the praises of coconut oil highly enough - I urge you to give it a try!!!

Also aloe vera is fantastic and again, helpful with any vaginal (or penile) irritation of any kind - as far as I am aware it is okay with latex too...

Much better to put natural products on your bits - some of the manufactured ones are pretty nasty...
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
Quote by dpw
Why afraid?
If it's water based it lessens the thickness therefore the lubrication.

I'm pretty certain bacterias can proliferate in tap water. Like I wouldn't drop tap water in a glass, wait 6 months, and then drink it.

Commercial water-based lubricants use preservatives, but diluting them with even more water could render them ineffective. Technically, just inserting fresh tap water in the vagina (ie. vaginal douche) can disturb the bacterial flora and lead to infections.

Just my personal thoughts about why it could be potentially dangerous...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

I'm pretty certain bacterias can proliferate in tap water. Like I wouldn't drop tap water in a glass, wait 6 months, and then drink it.

Commercial water-based lubricants use preservatives, but diluting them with even more water could render them ineffective. Technically, just inserting fresh tap water in the vagina (ie. vaginal douche) can disturb the bacterial flora and lead to infections.

My lube never lasted 6 days let alone 6 months. Refridgerating is safer.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by SereneProdigy

My lube never lasted 6 days let alone 6 months. Refridgerating is safer.