long distant relationship... telling your parents

last reply
7 replies
1.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
im currently in a long distant relationship, I love her so much and want to be with her for the rest of my life. but idk how to go about telling my parents about her since we met online, I live in Tennessee she is in Michigan so theres a lot of traveling involved when we want to me. but the thing is I have a fear of driving on the highway so if we do more than likely my parents will have to take me or a friend. but first I need to tell them about her... so please tell me if you've been in my shoes or how I can got about telling my parents please and thank you all so much.

Now my parents areaa little old fashion and don't trust the Internet at all.
Lurker
0 likes
Jay, not to sound harsh, but you are 23 years old (according to your profile) so be a man and tell your parents. Without any details about your relationship with them that is the best advice I have for you.

I am happy you have found the 'love of your life' online. I met mine online as well. She is also from Michigan. We are now happily married. She was nervous about telling her parents about me, also. I think it is because of our age difference and she wanted them to approve, but wasn't sure how they would feel.

Until you talk to them, you are not going to know their feelings on the issue.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Marinepilot
Jay, not to sound harsh, but you are 23 years old (according to your profile) so be a man and tell your parents. Without any details about your relationship with them that is the best advice I have for you.

I am happy you have found the 'love of your life' online. I met mine online as well. She is also from Michigan. We are now happily married. She was nervous about telling her parents about me, also. I think it is because of our age difference and she wanted them to approve, but wasn't sure how they would feel.

mine thing i'm crazy anyway.. so when I told them.. it was oh yes ?

u have a problem if they r really old fashioned.. and they hate the internet.. looks like u have a road trip.. why with yr parents?
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
As someone else has said, what it all boils down to is that you're an adult. You're in love. You treat this relationship like any other.

We're all nervous about our parents meeting our significant others no matter how close or how far away they are. If you feel the time is right, tell them.

As far as meeting up goes, why not book a plane or get yourself a Greyhound ticket? Friends are awesome and all, but you can't really expect a friend to drive you from Tennessee to Michigan and back multiple times, as I'm sure you're not planning on seeing her just once.

And if a plane ticket or a bus ticket is too steep, maybe she can find a convenient way to get to you.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Marinepilot

My thoughts exactly. Meeting online is not unusual these days and having old fashioned parents doesn't change that fact. You're an adult and if you're confident that she's "the one" then what are you waiting for? If they don't approve, will you break up with her? If not, then man up and bite the bullet already.

I too am in a long distance relationship with a man 13 years younger I met on here no less so I understand the challenges that come with telling friends and family as well as trying to make it work that includes making time to be together as often as possible (vacations, long weekends etc,). If you both want it badly enough, you'll find a way to make it work and you won't give a shit what others think about it.

It's YOUR life and YOUR happiness. Embrace it.
Lurker
0 likes
My suggestion is a bit different, get over your fear of driving on the highway. This will take care of a lot more issues in your life than whether you should (or how you should) tell your parents about a girlfriend.
0 likes
I too have a phobia of highways and have blacked out so I SO get your problem

I agree with everyone in the fact you are in love it is 2014 and a lot of beautiful partnerships happen first on the net

so tell them be honest you are old enough to do what you need

but also I agree with John...there are meds you can take to help calm the panic and the one thing I didn't do after blacking out was get out on the highway

so if you could just try with your parents to do one..exit just drive to one exit...until you feel safe that might help

I feel for you..but if this is the love of your life YOU have to be strong

yes parents don't get this new internet world

but in the end we just want our kids to be happy

best of luck honey!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I understand the pressure. Either u tell them and withhold the details or if u love him/ her enough you should just come out with it.