Do you ever lose interest?

last reply
44 replies
4.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Does anyone else get frustrated at having to wait a long time for the next part of a story?
I sometimes lose interest in a story if it's published in parts and the wait is too long, I've even read stories when the author has left without finishing!
How long is too long?
Do you think that authors should wait until they finish the whole story before they submit it, even if it's published in parts?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I might get a bit annoyed, but heck, I have done it too. Not that I have meant to leave people hanging for so long, but it happens...life sometimes gets in the way...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by buttercup2u
I might get a bit annoyed, but heck, I have done it too. Not that I have meant to leave people hanging for so long, but it happens...life sometimes gets in the way...

That's why I think the story should be finished before the parts are submitted.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Not really - there is plenty of other stuff to read. If needed I can always go back to the original and review something.
Lets say a week between continuations. I would like to read the comments to see if somebody wants a particular theme developed.
Lurker
0 likes
I do not mind the gap in between parts. It keeps your mind thinking and excited. Kind of like a movie trilogy. You know that another one is coming at waiting makes it better.
0 likes
Depends on what we're talking about. If each part is relatively complete with just a hook to hang the next part on, waiting isn't such a big deal. If we're talking something more open ended or, worse, a cliffhanger, then I can see dpw's point. Waiting for something like that to be resolved would be ... bad. Imagine if Lucas had taken twenty years off after Empire Strikes Back before giving us Jedi. People would have been screaming at first at the lack of resolution of the various plot threads that were left hanging at the end of Empire, but eventually would have moved on and lost interest, at least until there was some sure sign it was coming.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by dpw

That's why I think the story should be finished before the parts are submitted.

Just because the story is finished though, doesn't mean that it makes it through verification, or that you are able to get it submitted even. I have a friend whose computers have crashed and he lost all his work that was saved on his computer and he had to start out from scratch.
Classified
0 likes
An opportunity for one to revisit the previous parts again.

Of all our inventions for mass communication,
pictures still speak the most universally understood language.

Walt Disney
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Liger6969
I do not mind the gap in between parts. It keeps your mind thinking and excited. Kind of like a movie trilogy. You know that another one is coming at waiting makes it better.

On the other hand a movie can stand alone.
Take this example.
A husband and his sister in law are making out and things are just starting to get steamy when his wife walks in! Then there's a 3 to 6 month wait to find out what happened. Would you lose interest?
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I uploaded some multi part stories myself and it really depends. The ones I wrote are usually just as a good as a standalone story so you can fully enjoy that without the follow-up. If you do a cliffhanger part of course people will want more but you can't blame people for not writing the next part sooner so many things can go wrong like real life, computer issues, lack of motivation or verification issues
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
IMHO...a really long story should perhaps be written as a single piece and THEN as part of the editing process be made into 2 or more parts.. Other times, you might have a 'series" etc. that can be spread out, but each story/piece of the series should be 'stand alone" It really depends on what your message/story is about as to how your present it. This is just my humble opinion...your mileage may vary!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Frank

An opportunity for one to revisit the previous parts again.

LOL, I have to do that sometimes...even if the next part comes out the next day!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by asleep
IMHO...a really long story should perhaps be written as a single piece and THEN as part of the editing process be made into 2 or more parts.. Other times, you might have a 'series" etc. that can be spread out, but each story/piece of the series should be 'stand alone" It really depends on what your message/story is about as to how your present it. This is just my humble opinion...your mileage may vary!!

I agree with you completely! Especially with each piece of the series being able to stand alone.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I don't get annoyed but I do forget to go back to read the next part ! smile However I love to come accross a new set of stories to read, something long that I can get my .... errr not teeth ... hand around :) :).
Lurker
0 likes
I stopped publishing pieces by chapter - there's no gaurantee I'll ever finish.
Story Verifier
0 likes
I don't mind the wait. At least not if the story's to my liking. If everybody waited until they had their story completely finished, we would have to do without some of the most brilliant stories here on lush, e.g. Sprite's absoulte gem "Mrs. Vandermeer's Rules". That one took almost three years between chapters one and six and is currently leaving us dangling on a major cliffy - so what? I, for one, would rather re-read older chapters to get back into the flow of a story after a while than not read it at all.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by dpw
Does anyone else get annoyed at having to wait for the next part of a story?
I sometimes lose interest in a story if it's published in parts and the wait is too long, I've even read stories when the author has left without finishing!
How long is too long?
Do you think that authors should wait until they finish the whole story before they submit it, even if it's published in parts?

When I wrote my first series this did concern me; I took ages between chapters but luckily, a lot of people were interested enough to follow through to the eleventh and final chapter - the entire series spanned over six months.

I think it is best to write the whole thing before publishing otherwise you leave people hanging and lose readers. However, if you're confident you can keep writing with quality AND speed, you could just go chapter by chapter.
Lurker
0 likes
Okay, I just finished a series about a month ago and it spanned a good month and a half to get it all out. IMO as a writer I understand fully about life getting in the way of my art, but as reader I say if the story's good enough than we'll come back to read it.
0 likes
This is why I have not really tackled a multiparter or novel yet. I have trouble getting a standalone story done, let alone a series. My poor readers would be left hanging for sure unless I wrote it all upfront and just released it in installments. That's me, though. There likely are authors who could pull it off.

For my part, at most I might do a sequel to a published story if the mood hits me (which it hasn't yet) but I wouldn't leave an ending hanging for one unless I knew it was happening for sure. That said, if I ever have time I do have some ideas that could work as longer pieces (perhaps more novella than novel, though).
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Kal-El85
Okay, I just finished a series about a month ago and it spanned a good month and a half to get it all out. IMO as a writer I understand fully about life getting in the way of my art, but as reader I say if the story's good enough than we'll come back to read it.

If it's all one category then I agree but when it jumps between them I lose track.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by dpw
Does anyone else get annoyed at having to wait for the next part of a story?
How long is too long?

I'm probably one of the worst offenders of this. My sequels can be months apart. As a writer, I don't blame you for getting annoyed. The only thing I could say is that if I forced it, the result wouldn't be worth reading anyway.
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
Quote by Kal-El85

Yeah, but you are super prolific. I wish I had the ability to write them as half as quickly
Lurker
0 likes
I know I do. If it takes too long I get bored of waiting and wind up forgetting about it. But then I look back every once in a while and get a lil excited if there is finally an update. That doesn't happen often though. Once I forget it usually stays like that
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Milik_The_Red

I'm probably one of the worst offenders of this. My sequels can be months apart. As a writer, I don't blame you for getting annoyed. The only thing I could say is that if I forced it, the result wouldn't be worth reading anyway.

I should have edited the question, I think annoyed is too strong a word. I really meant frustrated or disappointed. I've also come to find that a mere reference can bring a very good story back to mind.
I still think that a link to a previous chapter should be available at the beginning of a story rather than at the end. That would be much better for the reader.
0 likes
I'm probably the worst offender of that gap, last chapter being published a year ago. Writer's block is a bitch.

Suffice it to say, even I'M annoyed at having so many months between chapters. So, I don't think it's too strong a word.

I've noticed that people lose interest after a month or so. I don't think you are alone in being annoyed/disappointed/lost interest/whatever.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I would love to see links to all previous chapters at the beginning of a story, then you can start from the beginning or go back and refresh much more easily. It would also be nice if one could edit published stories to include a link to the next chapter at the end rather than the previous one. Just my 2 cents
"Things that are acceptable to the masses are generally mediocre" Dita Von Teese

To Read my Famous story "Amys first time" click here
Click here for "Amy's Awakening"
Follow this link for part 3, "Amys Arousal"
Mazztastic
0 likes
Quote by SuccubusDreams
I would love to see links to all previous chapters at the beginning of a story, then you can start from the beginning or go back and refresh much more easily. It would also be nice if one could edit published stories to include a link to the next chapter at the end rather than the previous one. Just my 2 cents

I think this is an superb idea and I may be wrong, but I think it has been discussed, or at least a "series" way of linking stories?

I'm an absolute ass for not getting my unfinished series completed - I am working on it, just struggling to write much of anything at all these days...

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I have left both a series and a story hanging before - with new instalments mapped out but for a couple of reasons they are still "in the works" (ie. shelved for now). Save for one 'chapter' - all these stories function as stand-alone pieces though, so hopefully it hasn't annoyed anyone that much.

In order to avoid reader fatigue/frustration, I am of the opinion now that stories should be reasonably finished before dropping a first chapter. I think a series can be a little different but for a continued story/plot, yeah - it's best to have it all done.

I'm editing a piece now that's clocked in at around 17,500 wds. I want all my edits done before I post. While it's been blocked into three different parts, I'm now questioning how quickly I should submit these. Waiting can be fun as far as building suspense goes, I guess, but I know that some prefer a more 'meaty reading experience' and may prefer to sit down with all the chapters before diving in.

Is there such a thing as posting too quickly? (ie. one a day?)
Cocolicious
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
I have left both a series and a story hanging before - with new instalments mapped out but for a couple of reasons they are still "in the works" (ie. shelved for now). Save for one 'chapter' - all these stories function as stand-alone pieces though, so hopefully it hasn't annoyed anyone that much.

In order to avoid reader fatigue/frustration, I am of the opinion now that stories should be reasonably finished before dropping a first chapter. I think a series can be a little different but for a continued story/plot, yeah - it's best to have it all done.

I'm editing a piece now that's clocked in at around 17,500 wds. I want all my edits done before I post. While it's been blocked into three different parts, I'm now questioning how quickly I should submit these. Waiting can be fun as far as building suspense goes, I guess, but I know that some prefer a more 'meaty reading experience' and may prefer to sit down with all the chapters before diving in.

Is there such a thing as posting too quickly? (ie. one a day?)

I try to finish the story and then post it in parts. My series or episode stories are purposely left that way. It's just a matter of preference, but I find if a reader enjoys your story, they'll seek out the other parts.

Doll, perhaps every two days I'd guess. Just don't make them a week apart, I think your fan base wouldn't like that.