Underdressed or overdressed?

last reply
100 replies
13.2k views
0 watchers
0 likes
The Linebacker
0 likes
If you show up for a social gathering and discover you are not dressed right for the occasion, do you prefer to be overdressed or underdressed?

Personally, I'd usually rather be overdressed than underdressed. I feel even more conspicuous if I'm underdressed.
Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by Buz
If you show up for a social gathering and discover you are not dressed right for the occasion, do you prefer to be overdressed or underdressed?

Personally, I'd usually rather be overdressed than underdressed. I feel even more conspicuous if I'm underdressed.

oooh ... damnit Buz!!! I thought you said "undressed" ... and I was gonna say .... You can be undressed for me anytime!!

On topic .... I agree, it's always better to be overdressed.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
overdressed you just come off as silly or perhaps a bit pretentious. Under dressed you look like a slob or unprofessional, or like you aren't taking the event seriously. So always overdressed.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Have to agree with the majority, better to be over dressed. At least the you could possibly take some things off ie jacket, scarf, jewellery. Then again I guess that mostly works for womensmile
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Musigal
Have to agree with the majority, better to be over dressed. At least the you could possibly take some things off ie jacket, scarf, jewellery. Then again I guess that mostly works for womensmile

No, not really Hon, we guys can lose the tie and jacket (vest too if it's three piece) roll up the shirt sleeves and be ready to do MOST things (football and rugby are still NOT on the list at that point, but...
Lurker
0 likes
I would prefer to be overdressed than underdressed.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Anastasia111

I was recently overdressed for a dinner evening. It was preferable to recieve a few giggles and compliments as a result, rather than people awkwardly "not commenting".
{allba115-feed-5eed-facedeadbeef}
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Anastasia111

I would prefer you to be overdressed than underdressed ;)
{allba115-feed-5eed-facedeadbeef}
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by paul_moadib

I would prefer you to be overdressed than underdressed ;)

I would prefer you "undressed" ;)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Anastasia111

I would prefer you "undressed" ;)

I'll second THAT! Just leave the panties on (preferably thong, G-string or "Brazilian cut" ) I can unwrap dessert myself!
Lurker
0 likes
I would rather be overdressed.
Lurker
0 likes
Overdressed impresses much more than underdressed - no matter the venue, I usually find myself in the former category though not alone in that
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Always prefer to be overdressed.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I think it's a unanimous consensus on this one. Overdressed FTW.
0 likes
I am a perpetual underdresser (that's "under" not "un" you dirty minds, though I do undress a lot, too ) but I agree that from a social standpoint, overdressed is probably preferable.
Lurker
0 likes
Just to add my agreement to the thread, overdressed, is the way to go always, even if I know I am going to be overdressed.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Quote by PersonalAssistant

oooh ... damnit Buz!!! I thought you said "undressed" ... and I was gonna say .... You can be undressed for me anytime!!

On topic .... I agree, it's always better to be overdressed.

Haha - I see where mind is...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It is always better to be overdressed - even for working outdoors. I used to work with a brick layer who wore long-sleeved shirts year 'round. He said, "You can always remove a layer, roll up sleeves, or if at a social function loosen or remove a tie, etc. But if you don't have those things, you can't put them on."
"There's only three tempos: slow, medium and fast. When you get between in the cracks, ain't nuthin' happenin'." Ben Webster
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
overdressed, because if you own your look everyone else will feel like they were the ones that under dressed.
[img][/img]
Lurker
0 likes
What I usually do is feel out the kind of get together. I don't like feeling under dressed or over dressed so I prepare myself for it if even if it means asking..
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I love dressing up formally so I'd rather show up overdressed and like unbutton my shirt to make it more casual if need be.

Click The Pic
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Darn it! I thought you meant underdressed - as in naked . In that case overdressed is better

This happened to me too many times and if I suddenly show up somewhere over dressed where everyone else is very simply dressed what I do is clean a bit of my makeup, take the accessories (belt/bangles/even earrings) out to look simpler but if I'm under dressed what else can i do?
Lurker
0 likes
If I am at a gathering and am under-dressed the way I feel is as if I was un-dressed. Besides, I love dressing nicely and well, so overdressed any day
Lurker
0 likes
Prefer overdressed
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I'm usually overdressed. So I suppose I prefer that to being underdressed.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I'm always overdressed or UNdressed. I only own nice clothes, so that's how it works.
Lurker
0 likes
overdressed...

Lurker
0 likes
Anyone at said gathering who already knows me would be utterly shocked to see me wearing anything but my favourite shorts and t-shirt...
Dressed up for me is wearing pants :P
Anyone at said gathering who doesn't already know me will learn soon enough!
I prefer to let my mouth do the talking, not my attire biggrin
0 likes
I am going with the "overdressed", although I can't imagine ever actually being overdressed, since I wear the same simple 14k earrings with a matching pendant on a box chain necklace, and pretty much stick to a plain but flattering black shift dress and medium high heels when going anywhere, not terribly interesting but it works in 99.5% of occasions.
Want to spend some time wallowing in a Recommended Read? Pick one! Or two! Or seven!

Lurker
0 likes
Overdressed