Category mistakes

last reply
21 replies
2.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I've just read a 3 part story and then a 7 part follow up story all in one day they were that gripping. The problem is that each part is in a different category and I think he's missed a lot of readers because of this. Is it possible to reassign categories or delete them and resubmit them in one category?
Orgasm Aficionado
0 likes
Taking an alternative view, that's the beauty of Lush and the flexibility of its categories. Perhaps the author has made a conscious decision to spread the parts of the story about the categories; that way they'll pick up readers who stick to particular categories, while giving the opportunity for readers who enjoy the story line to follow it from beginning to end.

If an author has caused you to want to read ten parts of a story in one day, I'd say they've done their job exceedingly well and it's likely that other readers will successfully navigate the course.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by AbigailThornton
Taking an alternative view, that's the beauty of Lush and the flexibility of its categories. Perhaps the author has made a conscious decision to spread the parts of the story about the categories; that way they'll pick up readers who stick to particular categories, while giving the opportunity for readers who enjoy the story line to follow it from beginning to end.

If an author has caused you to want to read ten parts of a story in one day, I'd say they've done their job exceedingly well and it's likely that other readers will successfully navigate the course.

No that's the problem, I friended though forum posts and didn't realise he was an author. If we hadn't clicked on the forum I'd be none the wiser. The first part was in a category that I wouldn't look at and if I find a part 2 with no trace of part 1, I ignore it. Also at the start of each story he explains his quandry of category choice, it wasn't an attempt to get more readers. I just want to let him know if he has options.
Lurker
0 likes
My current series is going in 3 (maybe 4) different sections. This is a deliberate choice to get as many readers as possible.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Sometimes the category of individual story sections is different to the overall story. I've done this before. The category of each section depends on the contents of the section, not the overall theme of the whole piece. That way, the readers can choose whether to read that section or not.

However, if the author has made a genuine mistake, and their piece has nothing to do with the category it sits in, then contacting them about it is best. It can be changed by the author in the Edit function (he can get to it through his "My Stories" list). Mods should usually pick this problem up when verifying, as one of the basics is to check the story is in the right category. However, if the queue is busy, it can get missed; plus, there may be tenuous links within the story that make it unclear where the story should go, and the author's choice then determines where it sits.

An author may use the link-to function at the end of their submission form to link to other pieces of work. If a series of pieces only has two, I link the first part to the second part, and the second to the first, usually. It gets more difficult if there are more than two pieces, but clicking on the author's stories list should reveal part one, if it's been titled correctly. Again, they can change their link-to settings within the Edit function.
I hope that helps.
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Shylass
Sometimes the category of individual story sections is different to the overall story. I've done this before. The category of each section depends on the contents of the section, not the overall theme of the whole piece. That way, the readers can choose whether to read that section or not.

However, if the author has made a genuine mistake, and their piece has nothing to do with the category it sits in, then contacting them about it is best. It can be changed by the author in the Edit function (he can get to it through his "My Stories" list). Mods should usually pick this problem up when verifying, as one of the basics is to check the story is in the right category. However, if the queue is busy, it can get missed; plus, there may be tenuous links within the story that make it unclear where the story should go, and the author's choice then determines where it sits.

An author may use the link-to function at the end of their submission form to link to other pieces of work. If a series of pieces only has two, I link the first part to the second part, and the second to the first, usually. It gets more difficult if there are more than two pieces, but clicking on the author's stories list should reveal part one, if it's been titled correctly. Again, they can change their link-to settings within the Edit function.
I hope that helps.

Thanks, I'll direct him to this post.
Each of the parts could fit into 3 or 4 of the categories. I don't know why he spread them about.
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by dpw

Thanks, I'll direct him to this post.
Each of the parts could fit into 3 or 4 of the categories. I don't know why he spread them about.

You're welcome.

Sometimes, what the author sees as an overriding factor is not what the readers see. I have a story that is actually a spanking story, but my underlying theme is about love. Therefore, I put it in the Love Story category, and missed out on some readership. But it was more important to me to post it that way. I also have two stories that are love stories, but I put them into the Straight Sex and Oral Sex categories. Again, I chose what I thought was more important, which, in that case, was not love.

Perhaps your friend has done that? Maybe he chose to work towards one category, which is the one he put it under. But there are usually overlaps in many stories. It can make a story richer that way, and sometimes, whilst missing some readers, gain many more who might not otherwise have read it.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Orgasm Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by dpw

No that's the problem, I friended though forum posts and didn't realise he was an author. If we hadn't clicked on the forum I'd be none the wiser. The first part was in a category that I wouldn't look at and if I find a part 2 with no trace of part 1, I ignore it. Also at the start of each story he explains his quandry of category choice, it wasn't an attempt to get more readers. I just want to let him know if he has options.

Look for the 'Author' badge on their profile.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Shylass

You're welcome.

Sometimes, what the author sees as an overriding factor is not what the readers see. I have a story that is actually a spanking story, but my underlying theme is about love. Therefore, I put it in the Love Story category, and missed out on some readership. But it was more important to me to post it that way. I also have two stories that are love stories, but I put them into the Straight Sex and Oral Sex categories. Again, I chose what I thought was more important, which, in that case, was not love.

Perhaps your friend has done that? Maybe he chose to work towards one category, which is the one he put it under. But there are usually overlaps in many stories. It can make a story richer that way, and sometimes, whilst missing some readers, gain many more who might not otherwise have read it.

Thanks again and I do understand especially one off stories that overlap, I should think most do, to some extent at least.
I went back to check the story, it's a husband and wife confessing and each part ends in a "god what happens next" line. This is one conversation all taking place on one day and the categorisation is as follows:
1. Wife lovers
2. Straight sex
3. Voyeur
4. Exhibitionism
5. Bisexual
6. Group sex
7. BDSM

Now unless you read part 1 the story won't follow as they don't really stand on their own, they're all part of the same conversation.
The link is at the bottom to the previous part, is it possible to put one at the top for previous and one at the bottom for subsequent parts or is there only one link available?
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by dpw

Thanks again and I do understand especially one off stories that overlap, I should think most do, to some extent at least.
I went back to check the story, it's a husband and wife confessing and each part ends in a "god what happens next" line. This is one conversation all taking place on one day and the categorisation is as follows:
1. Wife lovers
2. Straight sex
3. Voyeur
4. Exhibitionism
5. Bisexual
6. Group sex
7. BDSM

Now unless you read part 1 the story won't follow as they don't really stand on their own, they're all part of the same conversation.
The link is at the bottom to the previous part, is it possible to put one at the top for previous and one at the bottom for subsequent parts or is there only one link available?

If things are still the same as they used to be, there is only one link available at the bottom on the story. Authors may make footnotes at the end of their story if they absolutely have to.

In my time as a mod (long gone), they weren't allowed to do this at the top of their story, as the snippets that show on the front page becomes full of stuff like, "Hi, this is my first story, so please be nice", and "I wrote this for my sexy little subby who I love with all my Dommy heart". Things that are the author deliberating or making notes to their audience at the beginning used to be removed by moderators or bounced back to the author to do, and either deleted or moved to the end.

Trust me, that does a lot more in the author's favour than plastering it on the front page. They need to launch right into their story, not um and ah about it. In this case, although without seeing the piece, I'm unsure about what you're saying, so I'm answering based on what I think you mean.

It is up to the author to bear in mind that if their piece is a follow-on, they need to somehow make the readers aware. This can be easily done, without messing up the front page snippets, by using the title and one-liner, similar to this:

(Title) A Week's Worth of Wet Knickers (Tuesday)
(One-liner) The second chapter in the cotton-squelchy series

Or,

(Title) Fucking Fanny Adams: Upside Down and Sideways
(One-liner) Chapter Two of the series

Or,

(Title) Licking Chocolate Starfish: Chapter Eighteen
(One-Liner) Ridley wriggles her magic tongue inside.

The reader can then check the author's profile for the previous chapters under their stories listings (full page, not just the few on the profile page). That way, each story is stand-alone, but it's clear from the beginning that there are previous chapters. The tags usually provide a slightly more detailed glance at the content of the story. If you send me the link, I don't mind having a look to see if we can help the author. As it is, I'm a little confused, sorry.

If you think it necessary to add previous links at the beginning, and latter links at the end, you could always suggest that in the Forum Suggestion area. It's not a bad idea, if it's possible. Until then, it's the author's call as to how they want to deal with it.

Sorry for waffling. I'm a little confused, but I've tried to help!

Orgasm Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by Shylass

If things are still the same as they used to be, there is only one link available at the bottom on the story. Authors may make footnotes at the end of their story if they absolutely have to.

In my time as a mod (long gone), they weren't allowed to do this at the top of their story, as the snippets that show on the front page becomes full of stuff like, "Hi, this is my first story, so please be nice", and "I wrote this for my sexy little subby who I love with all my Dommy heart". Things that are the author deliberating or making notes to their audience at the beginning used to be removed by moderators or bounced back to the author to do, and either deleted or moved to the end.

Trust me, that does a lot more in the author's favour than plastering it on the front page. They need to launch right into their story, not um and ah about it. In this case, although without seeing the piece, I'm unsure about what you're saying, so I'm answering based on what I think you mean.

It is up to the author to bear in mind that if their piece is a follow-on, they need to somehow make the readers aware. This can be easily done, without messing up the front page snippets, by using the title and one-liner, similar to this:

(Title) A Week's Worth of Wet Knickers (Tuesday)
(One-liner) The second chapter in the cotton-squelchy series

Or,

(Title) Fucking Fanny Adams: Upside Down and Sideways
(One-liner) Chapter Two of the series

Or,

(Title) Licking Chocolate Starfish: Chapter Eighteen
(One-Liner) Ridley wriggles her magic tongue inside.

The reader can then check the author's profile for the previous chapters under their stories listings (full page, not just the few on the profile page). That way, each story is stand-alone, but it's clear from the beginning that there are previous chapters. The tags usually provide a slightly more detailed glance at the content of the story. If you send me the link, I don't mind having a look to see if we can help the author. As it is, I'm a little confused, sorry.

If you think it necessary to add previous links at the beginning, and latter links at the end, you could always suggest that in the Forum Suggestion area. It's not a bad idea, if it's possible. Until then, it's the author's call as to how they want to deal with it.

Sorry for waffling. I'm a little confused, but I've tried to help!

Those are great titles!!
Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by AbigailThornton

Those are great titles!!

Yeah, I thought I'd try them after Christmas.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Shylass

Yeah, I thought I'd try them after Christmas.

it's why you'really one of my favorites *ginga hug*
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by AbigailThornton

Those are great titles!!

I thought this said 'titties'
Orgasm Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by Liz

I thought this said 'titties'

That does sound like something I would say...
God Empress of Lush
0 likes
My ongoing "sex packed holiday" series has different parts in different categories, but that's because each one has a different slant. One is more voyeur-based, another is girl/girl sex, another is incest-based, and another has some hard-core stuff. But if I eventually finish it, it might be a good idea to move it all to the "novels" section.

22 February 2024 - How about a quick plug for one of my filthiest recent stories? It's all in the title - Naked Pool Party Swingers | Lush Stories Please read, comment and maybe give it a ❤️ - or even a⭐ if you really enjoy it! Thank you! Annie xxx

Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
Quote by Haineko

it's why you'really one of my favorites *ginga hug*

0 likes
I agree, if you make a series into many categorizes, then you can spread out to many different readers.
0 likes
Quote by kornslayer1
I agree, if you make a series into many categorizes, then you can spread out to many different readers.

Also, sometimes it simply doesn't all fit in one category. If you're doing, say, the sexual journey of a young man and he first has a gay relationship with his university professor, then gets into a dom-sub relationship with a woman at his first job, those two aren't going to fit easily into the same category without some shoehorning.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by dpw
I've just read a 3 part story and then a 7 part follow up story all in one day they were that gripping. The problem is that each part is in a different category and I think he's missed a lot of readers because of this. Is it possible to reassign categories or delete them and resubmit them in one category?

Sometimes the Lush moderators require a story be moved to a specific category. I published a spanking story in which the guy admitted to thinking incestual thoughts as a child, and one moderator required the chapter be moved to incest. A subsequent mod, upon an edit, permitted in spanking. So it's not always the author's choice where a story goes, particularly if it's a controversial subject, like reluctance or incest.
Mazztastic
0 likes
Quote by dpw

1. Wife lovers
2. Straight sex
3. Voyeur
4. Exhibitionism
5. Bisexual
6. Group sex
7. BDSM

Actually, thats a great idea... To be able to link from the previous part of a story woukd be awesome. I have an unfinished series that stands at eight parts so far and given the time between each submission, a link from the previous part would be really handy...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I recently wrote a two part story that I put each part into a different category. The main character met a girl on a train (straight sex) and then he met a couple more (group sex). The story seems to be doing pretty good so far, but it has only been out a short while.

I think putting a story into multiple categories (all linked of course) is a great way to catch readers who might otherwise slip past you because the story isn't in their regular reading.