Obligatory Makeup Thread

last reply
71 replies
8.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Post your favorite products and/or looks. Why do you like them? Are they cost-effective? Are they long-lasting? Are they easily accessible? How are they on the skin?

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Ok - my first recommendation:

NARS blush in Orgasm

Every girl needs this, and it's consistently made the best products lists in InStyle and fashion magazines for ages.

The reason is that this shade works for all skin tones and looks really natural and pretty. It's basically supposed to 'simulate' a soft flush in the cheeks like the type you get after you have an orgasm. The product lasts a long time. Easily available at Sephora (among other places).

It's amazing.

This is what it looks like on the cheek:

NARS also duplicated this shade in a lip gloss (I've tried it, not bad) and also a nail polish (don't buy it - horribly overpriced and the quality is meh according to the fashion blogs). Go for the blusher. Definitely.

If you like a bit more of a shimmer - I would also highly recommend Bobbi Brown's shimmer bricks. They have them in different shades - here it is in 'Beach':

The shimmer bricks are total amazeballs. Seriously. They can also double as eye-shadow shimmer and you can dust it over your shoulders or along the collar bone or even along the back of the calves as a subtle shimmery highlight during nights out - this looks especially gorgeous with a light tan. The best part - they last forever. They also have a specific 'body shimmer brick' which is bigger and has a more subtle shimmer, designed for body skin highlighting but it's best to start with the basic brick and see if its your thing.
Lurker
0 likes
I agree with Ashleigh, love Nars make up!

Also love benefit make up.. this sugarlicious palette is great for summer! I adore the high beam liquid! A life saver on hangover mornings!

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Another recommendation - Aveda's tinted moisturizer. I use this to even out skin tone. Just a tiny dab will do you and again - it lasts a long time. I've used tinted moisturizers in the past that have been too watery or too pigmented. This is really a perfect formula. Oil-free and comes in several shades and also has SPF protection. It's really light and doesn't feel like you have anything on your face. I love Aveda products in general - they're really lovely. It's easy to get - just pop into an Aveda store or salon or you can order direct from their website. I love the tea (licorice/peppermint) they serve in the store though while you browse - I bought a jar once to make at home - it's so delicious and calming.

Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
I love Urban Decay. They put out great palettes, plenty of which I'll be posting here. For starters, here are the naked palettes.

Here are some swatches:

Naked

Naked 2

I got the original Naked palette as a stocking stuffer (yes, I still do Christmas stockings, what of it?) many years ago. When the Naked 2 palette came out a few years later, I bought it for myself. There are mixed reviews out there, mostly positive. I find that the negative reviewers just didn't know how to make the most of either palette. You can create ANY look with these things, you just have to know what to do with it.

PROS: Super pigmented. Portable. Convenient Packaging (Naked 2). Versatile. Not harsh on the skin. Lasts all day, even without primer. Naked palette comes with Urban Decay primer potion AKA, eyelid crack. The stuff is amazing. It also comes with a nice brush. The Naked 2 palette is in a sturdy, heavy duty metal tin that snaps open and shut. It comes with a lovely mini lip gloss in a neutral shade as well as their double-sided Karma brush.

CONS: Fall-out, especially with the shimmer shades. They cost a pretty penny. Also, the Original Naked palette has a magnet open/close mechanism that easily comes open, and it's in a velvet box that wears over time. Most of the shades are exclusive to these palettes, so if you just wanted one or a few, you won't get it. I was also a little disappointed in the Naked 2 palette because I was expecting all new, exclusive shades. One of the shades was from the original Naked palette, and that was a bit of a let down.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the original Naked palette. It has a wider range of shades, and it's a great, all-encompassing palette as far as eye shadows go.

They retail for about $50 each. But the overall value of the palettes if you were trying to go for individual shades would run you well over $250. You can try to find them cheaper like on Ebay or Amazon, but there are so many dupes floating around, you'll most likely get ripped off. If you can get it for less than $30, it's a fake. ALWAYS. And I'm sure we all know the dangers of knock off makeup.

Also, if you're pressed for cash, I know there are legitimate dupes out there made by retailers such as NYX, e.l.f, Sonia Kashuk, etc.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
These lip-glosses from Philosophy are really delicious. You can find them at Sephora and a ton of boutiques. It's a well known line. They taste so good - basically exactly the flavour named on the tube. In general they're clear glosses but some have a hint of colour. They come in dozens of flavours, including holiday themed ones like sugarplum fairy, candy cane and gingerbread etc. Because of the yummy flavour, they're perfect for kissing too.

Unfortunately they discontinued my favourite flavour (Frozen Lemon Custard). Grrrr... for some reason I find that anytime I love a product it gets discontinued. sad
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
Unfortunately they discontinued my favourite flavour (Frozen Lemon Custard). Grrrr... for some reason I find that anytime I love a product it gets discontinued. sad

Then please don't love any of my faves. But you have my permission to like them as a friend.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

I agree with slipperywhenwet, I love the urban decay naked eyeshadow palettes. I got them both and they are really pretty! And the primer potion is a must have too because it really keeps your eyelids from creasing and making the eyeshadow fade.

My favorite brand of makeup is Benefit, I use it for foundation, mascara and for blush.

I use the Hello Flawless Oxygen wow liquid foundation, it is pricey, but I do like to use it alot better than drugstore brands. It's always hard for me to find anything that matches my skin because I'm so pale but this works well for me.

And for blush I use the benefit sugarbomb blush, it adds a really pretty peach colored glow to my cheeks and I normally blend it in all over my face.

My favorite mascara is the benefit They're real mascara, sometimes when I wear it I get asked if I have on false eyelashes, it adds alot of volume. smile

I normally shop at Ulta for makeup and stuff like that. They are kind of expensive but I don't use alot so they last a long time and work great.
Lurker
0 likes
I love NARS lip glosses. They are a little on the expensive side but so worth it! I have the last red one on here and it just lasts forever! Gorgeous shine and creates a fabulous full pout!

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by sweet_as_candy
I agree with Ashleigh, love Nars make up!

Also love benefit make up.. this sugarlicious palette is great for summer! I adore the high beam liquid! A life saver on hangover mornings!

I love the idea of these kits too.

I bought the 'Just Incase' mini-kit last year because it's perfect to take with you on an overniter or to put into an evening bag when you're not sure if you might be spending the night elsewhere.

It's basically perfect - you get your bit of concealer, the eye-con for the hangover puffies, and the benetint doubles as lip stain and blush. And the little blue lipgloss is so nice and minty - perfect over the lip stain. Plus a mirror. They thought of everything! smile

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by sweet_as_candy
I love NARS lip glosses. They are a little on the expensive side but so worth it! I have the last red one on here and it just lasts forever! Gorgeous shine and creates a fabulous full pout!

+1 on that. I love them too. They're the glosses that I keep buying over and over. I also like their lip lacquer pots in Babydoll and Chelsea Girls. Those wear incredibly well, even through drinking/eating and they're really beautifully pigmented.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by sweet_as_candy

you should give the Urban Decay Lip Junkie a try. it's a little cheaper, it's cruelty free and vegan (something i'm being very vigilant about anymore) and it's long lasting. they have a great range of colors; brights, neutrals, and even some very dark, and it's got a little bit of mint zing to it. this has been my go to recently, and i'm pretty sure i'm not going to switch unless something really better comes along. i go with crush, jilted, trashed, obsessed, and peroxide, my one concession to needing a more neutral color. i like that it doesn't get icky if you wear it too long.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Head Nurse
0 likes
Chalk me up as another Urban Decay fan!

I am currently using the Ammo palette more than any other

Head Nurse
0 likes
I also like the Lorac palettes. This one lives in my car in case I stay somewhere over night, or just need to have something:

I LOVE this blush!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i don't actually do a lot of make up - to me, though, lip gloss and eye liner are musts. i kind of waffle between Kevyn Aucoin's percision liner and Lancome Artliner - thing is, while i really love them, i tend to lose things a lot and at $30+ a pop it's an expensive thing to leave laying on a counter somewhere - anyone have any suggestions for a good liquid eyeliner that's a little more cost friendly? how are the urban decay ones? haven't tried them - heard mixed things about the brush on them, tho...

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Head Nurse
0 likes
Ive not tried the UD liquid liner, I do love their pencils though.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by naughtynurse
Ive not tried the UD liquid liner, I do love their pencils though.

yeah, pencils are great, but i like the feel of the liquid better when applying, and i can do it quicker - lol - i have it down where i can do a complete makeover at a traffic light without even breaking sweat - pencils slow me up a bit. smile

Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by sprite

yeah, pencils are great, but i like the feel of the liquid better when applying, and i can do it quicker - lol - i have it down where i can do a complete makeover at a traffic light without even breaking sweat - pencils slow me up a bit. smile

Not many stop lights in the country, I just drive with my knees and use the review mirror biggrin
Clever Gem
0 likes
Ok my must haves:

and that is my face done!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by naughtynurse

Not many stop lights in the country, I just drive with my knees and use the review mirror biggrin

while texting and drinking your coffee? *giggles*

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

I have used this Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 hour blush and I think it does last throughout the day really well. There's tons of shades I like the one called tipsy that's a coral shade
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by Autumn17

I have used this Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 hour blush and I think it does last throughout the day really well. There's tons of shades I like the one called tipsy that's a coral shade

YES! I love these blushes so much.

Head Nurse
0 likes
Quote by sprite

while texting and drinking your coffee? *giggles*

I don't drink coffee... *laughs*
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
In my day to day i dont use that much makeup but its a most that i have the MAC concealer. Its perfect, not greasy dryes fast and perfect shade for me.

And its not really make up but its always with me the L'occitane Hand Cream. If you havent try it buy it! your hands will thank me for it!

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

These are my favorite chapsticks to use. I don't like lipstick and gloss I pretty much only use Burt's Bee's
Lurker
0 likes
Men and women all over the world love balls and I'm not ashamed to admit I do too. I can't live without Guerlain Meteorites. These little pearls will make even the dullest or unevenly toned skin look perfect. I use them every day, they are perfect if I'm in a hurry, just a quick brush over my face and I'm done. They're quite expensive but you use only a little at a time so they last for ages. There are multiple shades however I think the original is still the best one. If fooling around with balls isn't your thing, they also come in a compact.

What it is:
An illuminating powder that delivers pure radiance.

What it does:
Inspired by light and created by Guerlain, Météorites Pearls employ the technology of white light, which is used in photography and film to erase imperfections and soften features. A constellation of 6 multi-colored pearls blend together for a flawless, radiant complexion.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I don't know if you guys familar with this...

This is quite possibly one of the best mascaras ever. I have itty bitty lashes, and this is the first mascaras that actually gave me real definition and full lashes, and I've tried everything from Maybelline up to Dior.

As for lipsticks, i recently bought one of these...

My signature colour was Girl About Town by MAC. But after I tried the Armani, there is no going back. The texture is night and day. It's super smooth, super moisturizing and the colour saturation is incredible. And the Lipstick tube is magnetic, so the cap stays on with a click!!!
Cryptic Vigilante
0 likes
The only makeup product that I use is L'Oreal TrueMatch Concealer to fade dark circles. I really had to buy many concealers before I could find one that didn't look cakey or shiny; as a guy, this is extremely important for me as I really don't want it to show.

If your main concern is having a concealer that blends perfectly with your skin, I highly recommend that one. The fact that it's applied with a tiny brush also helps apply thin layers; I simply apply it and dab gently with my finger to make it blend. I tried the pencil types before and they were just too thick and cakey.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
For those who care, Sephora has the best gift ever in a really long time for redeeming your points. Their gifts are usually hit or miss for me. But this set is spot-on.

As with most Sephora products, a little goes a long way. So this mini set really is a steal.

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by GemGeekett
I don't know if you guys familar with this....

Quote by GemGeekett

i do know this and use it too smile

well mine is the pink fairy drops

i also you this eyeline cause its so small and exact

my newest :)