Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

All About Nails - General discussion board (Brands, trends, maintenance tips...)

last reply
133 replies
13.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Brands I have used: Zoya, Essie, a-England, OPI, SpaRitual, Sally Hansen, Deborah Lippmann, MAC, Orly and some of the cheaper drug store brands like Revlon, Wet n Wild, Maybelline etc.

My Top Three picks:
Zoya
a-England
Spa-Ritual

One of the things I've done in recent years is to weed out all the crappy polishes from my life (ie. the drugstore brands) because I do think the whole 3-Free movement is the way to go. Some of the brands are taking it a step further and going 5-Free, and also ensuring their polishes are cruelty-free (no testing on animals) and vegan.

For those that don't know what 3-Free means, it refers to the horrible chemicals found in some brands of polish (the cheaper ones and the older polishes of the past)

Quote by [url=http://persephonemagazine.com/2011/03/08/the-science-of-3-free-nail-polish/
Article Link[/url]]

“3 Free” refers to three ingredients that used to be included in most nail polishes: dibutyl phthalate (DBP), toluene and formaldehyde.

Dibutyl Phthalate-

DBP was included in nail polish formulas because it acted as a binder and improved the durability and the ability of nail polish to last a long time without chipping. Which, as anyone who polishes their nails can tell you, is a primary frustration with polish. However, general studies on this chemical (not performed specifically on nail polish) have shown that DBP has an effect of the in utero development of male sexual system in rats (1). There is also an effect during the pubertal sexual development of male rats and mice. In addition, DBP has been shown to antagonize the thyroid receptor (2). This means that DBP binds to the thyroid receptor and blocks the ability of necessary thyroid hormones to bind there. This blockage of thyroid hormones to normally bind to thyroid receptors can have an effect on normal brain development. Studies have also been carried out on the effect of DBP on metabolism and liver function with negative results.

In humans, a study performed in Korea (3) linked phthalate exposure to intelligence levels in children. There was a limiting factor in this study, but there is a frightening correlation, meaning that increased phthalate exposure and decreased intelligence seem to occur in the same children when maternal IQ was controlled for. This does not mean necessarily that one caused the other, and more than one phthalate was looked at; all this means is that there is some cause for concern and more studies are necessary.

Toluene-

Toluene is a solvent that was used in many nail polish formulations to dissolve other ingredients and make a nice smooth, easy-to-apply polish. After application to the nail, toluene will volatilize, or evaporate and leave a smooth, glossy finish. Toluene is found naturally in crude oil and in the tolu tree.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, the effect of toluene on humans at low, environmental doses is unknown. However, short term, high load doses can result in poor performance on cognitive tests as well as eye and upper respiratory irritation. Chronic solvent abuse (such as huffing) can result in dementia and brain damage.

Formaldehyde resin-

Technically, nail polishes don’t contain straight formaldehyde, they contain a resin called tosylamide formaldehyde resin. This resin ensured that the polish adhered to the nail’s surface and made the polish tough and resilient. Interestingly, it seems that tosylamide formaldehyde resin (TS-F-R), is a major allergen and can cause contact dermatitis. In fact, TS-F-R can actually remain active and bioavailable for up to three days after painting your nails (4). A search through Pubmed.com only turns up allergy references in regards to tosylamide formaldehyde resin, indicating that the resin likely doesn’t have the carcinogenic (cancer causing) properties of its cousin, formaldehyde.

What have we learned? That DBP seems to be a pretty bad chemical, all the way around. Toluene may not be quite so bad for you, but the jury is out, given that more study is needed to study the effect of low doses. Formaldehyde resin seems mainly to cause allergic reactions, something crucial to know if you are predisposed to skin allergies or have contact dermatitis.

Here's a List:

“3 FREE” NAIL POLISHES

No Dibutyl Phthalate, Toluene, and Formaldehyde

American Apparel, Butter London, CND, Deborah Lippmann, Essie, Estee Lauder (+ no formaldehyde resin) Hard Candy, Lancome (+ no formaldehyde resin), Le Metier, M.A.C. (+ no formaldehyde resin), Nars (+ no formaldehyde resin), Nicole, OPI, Priti NYC (+ no camphor), Spa Ritual (+ no formaldehyde resin), Wet ‘n’ Wild, a-England

“5 FREE” NAIL POLISHES

No Dibutyl Phthalate, Toluene, Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde Resin, and Camphor

Chanel, Dashing Diva, Dior, Givenchy, Hopscotch Kids, L’Oreal, Nubar, Revlon, RGB, Scotch Naturals, Uslu Airlines, Zoya

One of the things to note - Seche Vite (the much touted polish top coat that everyone loves to death is NOT 3-Free and in fact does not work well with 3-Free polishes (it has the tendency to shrink the polish on your nail during drying and may cause chipping sooner than it should). Something to consider. For top/base coats I like Zoya's system but I've also used SpaRitual and OPI top coat with good results too.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
COCONUT OIL!!

Ok, I'm done yelling. But I'm sure we all know the benefits of coconut oil. It's miracle stuff. It's great for your nails. I didn't discover how great because I used to just use it mostly for my hair and skin. And while teasing it throughout my hair with my fingers, I noticed that my nails began to grow like craaaaaaaaaaaazy. I keep my nails trimmed short because of the field I'm in. I use my hands a lot, and it's just better and more productive if I just keep them cut short. But anyhoo, just use the coconut oil the same way you would a cuticle oil or cream. Massage into your cuticles and even all over your nails, and I guarantee that you'll see results within a week or two.

And unlike nail growth treatments that give you just a long nail, but it's yellow-ish and fragile and brittle, the coconut oil helps to strengthen and give you a solid, healthy nail. It's great.

No...these aren't my nails.

░P░U░S░S░Y░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

“5 FREE” NAIL POLISHES

No Dibutyl Phthalate, Toluene, Formaldehyde, Formaldehyde Resin, and Camphor

Chanel, Dashing Diva, Dior, Givenchy, Hopscotch Kids, L’Oreal, Nubar, Revlon, RGB, Scotch Naturals, Uslu Airlines, Zoya

One of the things to note - Seche Vite (the much touted polish top coat that everyone loves to death is NOT 3-Free and in fact does not work well with 3-Free polishes (it has the tendency to shrink the polish on your nail during drying and may cause chipping sooner than it should). Something to consider. For top/base coats I like Zoya's system but I've also used SpaRitual and OPI top coat with good results too.

ginger + liz is also a wonderful 5 free polish AND vegan smile

Bitch fit - never leave home without it :)

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
I LOVE Ombre (color gradient) nails!!

So versatile. Super easy. You can use any colors you want!

This is by far my favorite technique, but of course there's no wrong way to do it.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by slipperywhenwet2012

I swear I have this same image in my Nailpolish Folder on my desktop - I love it so much. I haven't tried ombre yet but plan to in the near future. I assume you use the make-up sponge technique? When I watch the tutorials it *seems* easy but I always wonder.

I'd also like to try water-marbling at some point. Have you tried that? Would you say it's easier to ombre or water-marble if you're a beginner with both?
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

I swear I have this same image in my Nailpolish Folder on my desktop - I love it so much. I haven't tried ombre yet but plan to in the near future. I assume you use the make-up sponge technique? When I watch the tutorials it *seems* easy but I always wonder.

I'd also like to try water-marbling at some point. Have you tried that? Would you say it's easier to ombre or water-marble if you're a beginner with both?

I'm sooo clumsy, and with that in mind, I am so glad I discovered the sponge technique when it comes to ombre. I got it right my first time around. I promise it's as simple as it looks, and I prefer it over water marbling.

With that being said, water marbling is a bit of a challenge in terms of marbling the polishes (the first time I tried, I ended up with this blob of yuckiness), but it's more forgiving once it's on your nail. By forgiving, I mean any 'mistake' won't be obvious, and it looks intentional.

So yes, ombre is definitely the easier technique of the two. Especially when it comes to catering the technique to your nail.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes

I'm sooo clumsy, and with that in mind, I am so glad I discovered the sponge technique when it comes to ombre. I got it right my first time around. I promise it's as simple as it looks, and I prefer it over water marbling.

With that being said, water marbling is a bit of a challenge in terms of marbling the polishes (the first time I tried, I ended up with this blob of yuckiness), but it's more forgiving once it's on your nail. By forgiving, I mean any 'mistake' won't be obvious, and it looks intentional.

So yes, ombre is definitely the easier technique of the two. Especially when it comes to catering the technique to your nail.

Thanks - that's the one I'm going to play with first then. The marbling looks beautiful when it's done right but it does look a lot trickier.
Lurker
0 likes

This is by far my favorite technique, but of course there's no wrong way to do it.

OMG! These threads are no good for my bank account! I ADORE these nails!
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

Thanks - that's the one I'm going to play with first then. The marbling looks beautiful when it's done right but it does look a lot trickier.

The one thing I would stress with the ombre is that those 2 white coats are the defining factor, especially if you're using neon colors (which work best for ombre). The white coats need to dry COMPLETELY with no stickiness whatsoever before you apply any color, otherwise when you press down with the sponge, your nails will instantly be ruined. It will come out clumpy and you'll have to start over.

I was in a hurry once and I learned that the hard way.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes

The one thing I would stress with the ombre is that those 2 white coats are the defining factor, especially if you're using neon colors (which work best for ombre). The white coats need to dry COMPLETELY with no stickiness whatsoever before you apply any color, otherwise when you press down with the sponge, your nails will instantly be ruined. It will come out clumpy and you'll have to start over.

Yeah, I learned that the hard way when I tried a tape-mani for the first time. The dry time is crucial. lol

And to SweetAsCandy - I know the blue in that ombre post is Orly Gumdrop. Not sure about the purpley-pink shade (looks to be another Orly colour), but I definitely recognize the Orly Gumdrop bottle.
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Crazy Scissors + Scotch Tape + Nail polish =

It's pretty much the same idea as a black nail crackle, except crackle only crackles in one set way...whereas with the crazy scissors and the scotch tape method, you create your own design. I love it.

Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Quote by sweet_as_candy

OMG! These threads are no good for my bank account! I ADORE these nails!

Actually, nail polish isn't all that expensive, and the polishes accumulate in no time. The sponges cost no more than a dollar or two at any drugstore, and 10 or 20 come in a pack. Plus they're reusable.

Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
Fluffy Nails

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I actually watched that pink fluffy nails tutorial a while ago. Those nails are huge! I'm not sure I'm ready to delve into the fluff yet, but it's definitely an interesting look!

I have an annoying question for those of you with a large polish collection. I have been on this quest to find the perfect coral (cream).

Specifically I am looking to match the coral colour on this logo (it's a long story).

So I found this pic on the net that seems to be a close match, but I can't seem to source what colour it is:

I have been looking at swatches of Essie's Tart Deco, Essie's Haute de Hello and The Balm's Coral Reef-ined but they all look sooo different in each pic. Like half the time I would swear it's not even the same polish. Coral must be very hard to capture properly on camera. Anyway does anyone have any of these colours at home and can you verify if I'd get a match or no-match with this shade? And if anyone has something that would match, please let me know. It's driving me nuts. I don't want to end up ordering the wrong shade of coral and not being happy with it and then looking for yet another.

PS. The fine gold tips and that amazing ring in that photo... soooooo yum!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll

PS. The fine gold tips and that amazing ring in that photo... soooooo yum!

Such a gorgeous photo! I will keep an eye out for that coral colour! Looks gorgeous too!
Big-haired Bitch
0 likes
I have Play Day by MAC:

Coconut Ice, also by MAC:

I also have Van D'Go by Essie:

These are the closest I have in my personal collection...and these are all actually peach shades. I'll dig some more...but those were the ones that immediately came to mind. In the meantime, I hope you find it. It's so frustrating being a half a hue away from that perfect shade.

EDIT: I forgot about my Color Club Coral Cascade. I didn't even know the name of it until I looked it up, I knew it was coral something. I found a pic with gold flecks to give you a good comparison:

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Thanks Dani! Color Club and the MAC might work. Funny I actually have Essie Van D'Go coming by 'nail mail' as we speak (I had points to use). I'll try that one out and see if it's a match. All the coral polishes I've seen pics of seem to vary drastically. I was almost set on Tart Deco and then saw some other pics of it and thought - omg - now this is now looking practically like a dark orangey shade and really I just want that vintage'y South Beach coral hue from the logo.

For example - All these pics listed the nail polish colour as Essie Tart Deco. And they all look totally different. I haven't seen this same level of variance occur with any other colour before. It must be reserved for these coral/peachy shades. I know things vary in shade and sun and camera-flash but I was hard pressed to find any two pics anywhere online where Tart Deco looked legit identical and identifiable. Unless maybe Essie revamped it at some point or changed the formula.

Anyway, I'll report back after my experience with Van D'Go first and then go from there. smile

Thanks for the help!
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
By the way - how cute is this? The 'Shark Bite mani' from The Blonds' spring runway show.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
squee! this is adorable and so me AND it's something i could probably do freehand without too much fuss...

i'm thinking going with the pixie dust destiny and godiva tho... and don't tell anyone, but i'm going to order the other pixie dust collection AND the fall one... i blame Doll (btw, it's better then spending my money on drugs, right? biggrin)

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by sprite

i blame Doll (btw, it's better then spending my money on drugs, right? biggrin)

We joke about it, but it's true.

Here's another gorgeous gradient that I definitely won't be attempting with my first attempt but it's still really pretty.

It's a combination of a-England's Dragon and a-England's Saint-George. With a really cute little gold bee.

Btw, did I mention how great a-England polishes are? They're a smaller company out of the UK that are making big waves. Their colours are all based on history, romantic poets and Arthurian legends. I'm not even into that kind of stuff but I appreciate the vision they have and the care they've taken. Really beautiful polishes and they're often ONE-COATers - tons of holographics and metallics.

Here's their 'The Legend' collection.

I dare you to read this blog entry about the inspiration for each polish and not totally melt. The polish colours actually tell the story of the legend. And yeah, the formula on these is basically immaculate - like butter on the nail.

http://www.fashionpolish.com/2012/01/england-legend-collection-swatches-and.html

They also have a Burne-Jones Sleeping Beauty Collection and a stunning metallicky/glittery collection called Heavenly Quotes inspired by lines written by famous romantic poets.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
a-England pink/gold glitter called 'She Walks in Beauty'.

This is the actual look of the glitter shade and will go opaque in 2-3 coats.

Or stunning as layered over another shade or even to do a gradient tip mani.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
a-England pink/gold glitter called 'She Walks in Beauty'.

This is the actual look of the glitter shade and will go opaque in 2-3 coats.

Or stunning as layered over another shade or even to do a gradient tip mani.

i hate you. no, seriously.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
just ordered $70 dollars worth of a-england dragon, princess sabra, order of the garter, she walks in beauty and a top and base coat (we actually really needed these). i wanted the briar rose too, but i didn't get it cause i'm disciplined like that. smile

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
You won't regret it, Rach. The formulas on those polishes are amazing!

I had to post this because it's such a cute look - especially for fall polish colours. Using a houndstooth stamping plate by Vivid Lacquer (available on Etsy).

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
You won't regret it, Rach.

yes i will - i'll regret that i didn't get more!

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
Quote by sprite

yes i will - i'll regret that i didn't get more!

Mmmm... like these. 'Excalibur (summer 2013 edition)' which is a silver/gold hue and 'Love is Enough' which is an olive green/gold metal... God, I love metals. They're so shiny and sexy and perfect for all seasons.

Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I really like how subtle and fresh this looks - a bit of a colour triangle and chevron over clear polish. I think using a metallic on clear in this design would look especially classy.

Pics and design c/o SpaRitual - one of my top three polish brands.
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I really like this look. I duplicated this ombre-style syrup mani a few months ago. You need a jelly syrup polish to be able to do this technique, however it's extremely easy from there.

This shade is Zoya Katherine.