last reply
2 replies
1.4k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Quote by kinkitten
So far I've only written prose and suddenly had an idea that would be more like a poem. The problem is I've never written a poem and I'm not sure what qualifies as a poem? Does it have to rhyme? How long is it supposed to be? Would love some advice.

Good questions.
In a nutshell, a poem is more likely to have a meter and/or rhyme scheme.
Poetry is also the only category on Lush that does not have a minimum length requirement.

Quote by Wikipedia
Poetry is a form of literary art which uses aesthetic and rhythmic qualities of language—such as phonaesthetics, sound symbolism, and metre—to evoke meanings in addition to, or in place of, the prosaic ostensible meaning.

Anyone who has had a poetry submission returned by myself has had an explanation along these lines:

Poetry uses forms and conventions to suggest different interpretations to words, or to evoke an emotional response from the reader. Devices such as alliteration, onomatopoeia and rhythm are sometimes used to achieve musical effects; and the use of ambiguity, symbolism, irony and other stylistic elements will often leave a poem open to multiple interpretations.

Poetry is a wonderful thing,
It can make you dance, it can make you sing.

You can curl up and cry as your heart it destroys,
Or smile and laugh in greatest joy.

With nothing as powerful as the written word,
Your heart can soar just like a bird.

Flying high, caught on a breeze,
Or in utter despair, fall to your knees.

It can play on your mind and taunt your soul,
The cruelest joke, a bottomless hole.

To weave the words, to pull the strings,
To show and explain the way of things.

That wasn't too bad. Bit rough around the edges but I am eating my lunch. smile
My suggestion would be to have a read through the poetry category on here and check out the work of some of the other authors.
That way you can see what is 'generally' accepted as poetry and approved by the moderating team.

Best of luck with your writing!

Liz
Lurker
0 likes
I wish for assistance without having to rearrange my thoughts. I have much to share but my words some mingle where others cant jingle. I love word and turning them loose. Also, punctuations are my death. I'm not punctual. MY BAD.