First Record You Ever Bought?

last reply
106 replies
9.3k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
What was the first Album, Cassette, CD or MP3 you ever bought with your own money?

Mine was The Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden

0 likes
"Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of H. G. Wells' The War of the Worlds", generally called just "The War of the Worlds". Basically a concept album for a never produced musical (they have done some stage shows based on the album but not a full-on musical as far as I know) based on the classic s-f novel. Featured performances by Phil Lynott from Thin Lizzy, Justin Hayward from the Moody Blues, David Essex and Julie Covington, who were stars in the London West End theatres at the time. Richard Burton framed it all with a narration based on various passages from the novel.

I was (and am) a huge fan of the novel and 1956 film version so it was a natural for me. Got at least one favorite band (the Moody Blues) out of the deal, too.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
J. Giels Freeze Frame album.
Lurker
0 likes
"Every Rose Has Its Thorn" cassette single from Poison
Alpha Blonde
0 likes
I assume birthday money counts?

I thought Shirley Manson was the coolest. My friends and I used to dance and lip synch to this album nonstop while playing it like we were supervixens-in-training. So embarrassing.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Dancing_Doll
I assume birthday money counts?

I thought Shirley Manson was the coolest. My friends and I used to dance and lip synch to this album nonstop while playing it like we were supervixens-in-training. So embarrassing.

Birthday money counts for sure!

Shirley Manson is awesome. And it worked, you are a Supervixen!! HAHA
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
What's a record? LOL just kidding, I am old enough.

Mine was an Alabama record.
CurlyFries
0 likes
No need to judge. I guess my tastes evolved a bit in those few years in between.

First album: I was single digits when I bought this with Birthday money.

First CD: Really can't explain this.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The Beatles Revolver

0 likes
Didn't mention format for mine. It was a double LP on vinyl.
Mazztastic
0 likes
The first I ever bought with my own money was either Stand And Deliver, by Adam and the Ants, or Embarrassment by Madness - on 7" vinyl.

I can't remember which came first, I may even have bought them both on the same day - There was something really exciting about handing over your money and rushing home to play them on a record player...

My first album was Absolutely by Madness (I think) but I also bought a few on cassette as well..

Aaaah, those were the days - you had to save up and wait until the weekend before you could get to the record shop to buy them... Not like now when you can just download them instantly.

I sometimes used to listen to the Top 40 on the radio on a Sunday night at my great-grandparents' house and record my favourite songs onto a cassette to listen to through the week. I'd play it back, trying to ignore the annoying DJ's voice as he introduced the next track!!

Changed days indeed - my kids would have a hard time understanding that...

I think that my first CD was Life's Too Good, by The Sugarcubes, but I listened to a lot of them as my parents had a pretty decent collection by that time...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The first single I brought was "Stop Your Sobbing" By The Pretenders
45rpm 7" vinyl in picture sieve, still a great track.

Tried to remember first LP and CD but both lost in the sands of time. First cassette (I think) was Relics by Pink Floyd.
0 likes
Quote by Mazza
Changed days indeed - my kids would have a hard time understanding that...

Mine only knows what a cassetee is because we still have a few around the house that we play occasionally. He has never actually heard vinyl played, though I've shown him a record player before in a store and he's seen vinyl records in *sob* museums.

He's not hugely into music and I suspect that he'll be a downloader if he does get into it.
Mazztastic
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

Mine only knows what a cassetee is because we still have a few around the house that we play occasionally. He has never actually heard vinyl played, though I've shown him a record player before in a store and he's seen vinyl records in *sob* museums.

He's not hugely into music and I suspect that he'll be a downloader if he does get into it.

I got funny looks from my two when I mentioned a jukebox - I had to explain that it was like a GIANT ipod that you put money in to play a vinyl record, or later, CD...

Honestly, they looked at me as though I was mad

Funnily, one of my sisters recently bought her first car and the stereo in it is a cassette deck - I gave her a load of old mix cassettes I'd made up (some from almost 30 years ago) I had quite the trip down memory lane, listening to them before I passed them on to her!
Lurker
0 likes
Alice Cooper - "Billion Dollar Babies"
I'm pretty sure I can still sing every lyric on the album.

Oh, and don't forget 8-tracks! I think I wore out some Earth, Wind, and Fire and the Eagles.
Mazztastic
0 likes
Quote by c50t
Alice Cooper - "Billion Dollar Babies"
I'm pretty sure I can still sing every lyric on the album.

Oh, and don't forget 8-tracks! I think I wore out some Earth, Wind, and Fire and the Eagles.

Ha ha, how funny! I was just about to edit my post above to mention 8-tracks!!

My dad made me one up with songs from Disney movies and also the muppet show!!

So funny...
(God, I feel old!!)
0 likes
Quote by Mazza

I got funny looks from my two when I mentioned a jukebox

I showed my son an old jukebox recently. It was in Gold & Silver, the pawn shop where Pawn Stars is filmed (we visited when we were in Vegas in March). He thought it was kind of neat, actually.

And mix cassettes ... I remember making those from my records, my dad and brother's records, and records I borrowed from the library back in the day. I think I had several of them made up at one point on various themes. Classical, movie music, popular music, etc. All lost to history, I'm afraid. I think the last one I made was for our wedding reception. I just picked the music and my brother did the dubbing.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
Will smith willenium, wow that's embarrassing
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
AC/DC Back in Black
My Stories

No Ordinary Gal

Fucked and Taken

That Special Evening
Lurker
0 likes
Modest Mouse.... Good News for People Who Love Bad News...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Denim And Leather - Saxon.
Site administrator
0 likes
Flick the fire engine ... now I bet nobody knows what the hell that is lol and opsey rather showing my age ...

edit - to be fair it was the first record that was purchased for me ..
Lurker
0 likes
Do I need to say more?!!
I was 10, though..or 11..

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Please, Please Me by the Beatles. How is that for dating myself
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by Mazza

Ha ha, how funny! I was just about to edit my post above to mention 8-tracks!!

My dad made me one up with songs from Disney movies and also the muppet show!!

So funny...
(God, I feel old!!)

WOW, 8-Tracks!! I have an old 8-Track tape. It was my older sisters and I found it in my parent's house after my dad died. It was the Bay City Rollers., HAHA!

I kept it, maybe it will be a collectors item someday, LOL!!
0 likes
Quote by Nikki703

WOW, 8-Tracks!! I have an old 8-Track tape. It was my older sisters and I found it in my parent's house after my dad died. It was the Bay City Rollers., HAHA!

I kept it, maybe it will be a collectors item someday, LOL!!

Wow. You can't get much more seventies than an 8-track of the Bay City Rollers. Surely someone would pay big bucks for that on eBay.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by seeker4

Wow. You can't get much more seventies than an 8-track of the Bay City Rollers. Surely someone would pay big bucks for that on eBay.

HAHA! right after I posted it went on e-bay and saw one for $0.99. Looks like I better keep my day job, LOL!!
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was 14 and had my first job -- working with my dad all summer for the plant he was head of maintenance for. I bought several CDs at the end of the summer all at one time. Even back then my music taste was ecclectic. I still have all of them today.

Kenny G - The Collection
Aaron Neville - The Grand Tour
Shania Twain - Shania Twain
Abba - More ABBA Gold
Bette Midler - Experience the Divine
Barbra Streisand - Back to Broadway
Meat Loaf - Bat Out of Hell II

and 3 Eagles CDs I had always wanted -- their 2 greatest hits and their live CD

They were the first CD's I ever bought with my own money. As I said I still have them today, but none of them are the originals. Most of them got broke, lost or just scratched.