Site Guidelines

last reply
51 replies
3.7k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I would suggest that the site guidelines be better written.

As they currently read, they are very clear and understandable if you are writing a quick wank story with no drawn-out characters, involved plots, or complex story details. Otherwise, they aren't very clear.

For instance, the guidelines say no stories may feature characters under 16. Obviously, the intent of the guideline is to prevent authors from writing about children under 16 in sexual situations. However, developed characters do have childhoods and non-sexual things happen during those childhoods. And sometimes, adult characters produce children as a result of their depicted sexual activity. Without clarity, some verifiers might be inclined to reject a story which mentions that the main adult character, as a child, played sports, simply because the words "child" or "13" or "grade school" are used in the description. Other verifiers might let it pass.

Also, the site guidelines prohibit "death, suicide, dangerous sex, drugging" without clearly defining them. Can we write a story in which main characters pass away? This was explained another thread, but not covered in the guidelines. Can we write about characters smoking weed after sex? This is legal in many states. "Dangerous sex" can include just about anything having to do with S&M. Does this mean we can't write stories featuring paddling (which can cause bruises and welts) or fisting?

Just saying that some definition and clarity would be a good thing.
Clumeleon
0 likes
This thread has a lot more detail: http://www.lushstories.com/forum/yaf_postst22383_An-A-to-Z-Guide-for-Lush-Stories-Authors.aspx.

This, in particular, answers your queries about age, dangerous sex acts, drug use and drugging.

Death is a trickier one. In general, death is fine if it fits within all other guidelines. For example, we wouldn't allow sex with dead people or graphic slaughter, but the death of a character could be used to develop the story.

I can assure you that all verifiers are working to the same guidelines and that when something is debatable or unclear, a discussion is had about it.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
this isn't clear enough?

Children — No one under age 16 may be depicted in a sexual situation or in a sexual manner. This means participating in sexual activity (including body exploration and masturbation), witnessing it, making mention of it, hearing references to it, or being referred to in any sexual way whatsoever. No sexual arousal, inadvertent or otherwise, or sexual activity of any sort (groping, covert touching, sly attempts at it, etc.) is allowed while children are present. Any risk that children might witness sexual activity must be excluded. Children may be included as characters in a story only if all the above stipulations are met. (See Age entry for further clarification.)

Age — Characters must be at least 16 years old at the time the sexual situation occurs, including in flashbacks. This means that any "for as long as I can remember..." type of statements are prohibited, since most of us can remember far earlier than age 16. All stories that contain references to minors — including the author / narrator of a story told in flashback — will be removed.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
btw, we're a friendly bunch, if you ever have any questions about specifics, feel free to contact any of the story mods and we'll be happy to answer your questions. smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
a clarification on drugging: what we DON'T allow is for a character to drug another character in order to have sex with him/her. we do allow recreational drug use as long as it doesn't debilitate their ability to consent to sexual relationships.

for example, it's ok to get stoned before, during, or after sex, and longs as you don't pass out and someone was sex with you while out cold - it's NOT ok for someone to slip drugs into your drink and then take advantage of you while you're high.

dangerous sex means that nothing that could lead to major harmful injury or death is allowed - paddling is unlikely to lead to death. autoaphyxiation, however, can be deadly.

death: death is allowed as long as it's not graphic and it's not during a sexual act. dying of old age is fine. a murder that is part of the plot is fine. shooting someone in the head while you're having sex with them is a no-no.

hope that helps a little?

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I was just required to gut a story twice where a person who was abducted in the first iteration and hypnotized in the second was disallowed even though no non-consensual sex occurred. I thought I stayed within the guidelines by leaving that character untouched, but that turned out not to be the case.
My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Head Nurse
0 likes
Abduction and hypnotism are not allowed.

Many of the people here on Lush have strong feelings about this type of behavior.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by naughtynurse

Many of the people here on Lush have strong feelings about this type of behavior.

Strong feelings about a character being abducted or hypnotized and not forced to have sex? Why?
My latest story is too hot to publish. My most recent story before that is Even Stranger In Lust
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I am going to be quiet and nice smile
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by naughtynurse

Ok, so I've been playing with the idea of writing a story where the protagonist is abducted by humanoid aliens for non-sexual reasons, though fully consensual sex will occur later on in the story. Will a story with that kind of scenario be rejected? And if so-- why?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by 1ball

Strong feelings about a character being abducted or hypnotized and not forced to have sex? Why?

If you have a specific question concerning a guideline, feel free to ask it and someone who knows the answer would probably be glad to respond.

As for mind control, we allow stories involving people taking drugs etc, however, anything that would affect how a character normally behaves and is administered or caused by something/someone else (e.g mind control/hypnosis) isn't allowed. This applies to situations both involving and leading up to the sex.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
And since we're discussing this at all, I've also been playing with the idea of writing a story where an established couple acts out a fantasy. The fact that it's a roleplay (and consent has been given) will be clearly emphasized at the beginning of the story, but the sex will be incredibly rough and demeaning to the submissive. Moreover, no safe word will be used-- and this is a mutual decision by both characters-- so the sex will, for all intents and purposes, come across as . It just, y'know, won't be, and at the end the couple will be fine.

Will I be allowed to submit something like that?
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Emerys
And since we're discussing this at all, I've also been playing with the idea of writing a story where an established couple acts out a fantasy. The fact that it's a roleplay (and consent has been given) will be clearly emphasized at the beginning of the story, but the sex will be incredibly rough and demeaning to the submissive. Moreover, no safe word will be used-- and this is a mutual decision by both characters-- so the sex will, for all intents and purposes, come across as . It just, y'know, won't be, and at the end the couple will be fine.

Will I be allowed to submit something like that?

The lack of safe word will only be fine if nobody says, stop or no, or tries to put and end to the roleplay at any point. The rest of it sounds ok.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by one_winged_angel

The lack of safe word will only be fine if nobody says, stop or no, or tries to put and end to the roleplay at any point. The rest of it sounds ok.

Ok. So if they were to come up with a safe word the sub in that scenario would be able to say "stop" or "no", right? Because I can't imagine any type of fantasy playing out where those words wouldn't be said at least once. So it's probably in my best interest to determine a safe word and just not use it.

Um, I also have a question regarding bestiality (I apologize if these questions are bothersome). I realize that it's a huge no-no at lush (understandably considering it's pretty much ), but I'm curious to know if sex between a human and a were-creature (ex: werewolf) would be acceptable? For example, the were-creature would be human-shaped but still have animal parts/features. Mentally, they'd be a mix of the two. Would that be OK?

Or if, say, a shape-shifter shifted into an animal but had the full mind of human and non-penetrative sex (on anyone's part) occurred (example: a human-turned-wolf licking in between a woman's legs, but that's it)-- would that type of story be rejected? I only ask because I'm also considering writing an Alpha/Beta/Omega story and that's something I'd like to include. In my head the wolf will interrupt a woman masturbating, curiously "taste" her, and then shift to human so the actual sex can happen. It'll be entirely consensual and the shape-shifter will, as I mentioned, have the mind of a human, even in (brief) animal form. So: yay or nay?
Lurker
0 likes
If your story is borderline pushing the limits, why not just ask a mod if your story idea will pass before wasting your time submitting it. I sometimes push the envelope with my stories, and will always consult a mod first. They will say yay or nay but at least I know before I waste my time and there precious time. SIMPLE, ALL CHARACTERS MUST BE OVER 16, NO RAPING, ALL CHARACTERS MUST HAVE A FACE, NO DRUGGING FOR FORCED SEX, ALL SEX I MEAN ALL SEX MUST BE CONSENSUAL..... GUIDELINES ARE SIMPLE, I HOPE THAT HELPED EXPLAIN THE GUIDELINES IN FULL TERMS........ Nicola runs and owns the site, it's her rules and the mods must follow, so does know good crying to the mods it's what it's...
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
As for mind control, we allow stories involving people taking drugs etc, however, anything that would affect how a character normally behaves and is administered or caused by something/someone else (e.g mind control/hypnosis) isn't allowed. This applies to situations both involving and leading up to the sex.

Can that possibly be any squishier? I wrote a story within the guidelines and it seemed to me the guidelines were ignored and the story was excluded. There was no non-consensual sex. The only consensual sex for that character, after being 'taken' prior to giving consent and then given the freedom to leave, was masturbation by the character. She was undressed but also unmolested. I can't speak for other writers, but I'm not going to get my stories blessed before they're written. I'm going to try to write to the guidelines, but I'm not going to write boring crap just because a guideline might be ignored and a story might arbitrarily be excluded because it got too close to the edge.
Clumeleon
0 likes
Quote by Emerys
Ok. So if they were to come up with a safe word the sub in that scenario would be able to say "stop" or "no", right? Because I can't imagine any type of fantasy playing out where those words wouldn't be said at least once. So it's probably in my best interest to determine a safe word and just not use it.

If it's made completely clear from the off that both are fully consenting to acting out this fantasy, you probably don't need a safe word. I would feel more comfortable if you established a safe word and didn't use it though.

EDIT: If no safe word is established, I would advise a closing scene which reiterates the complete consent of both parties throughout, despite any protests during.

Quote by Emerys
Um, I also have a question regarding bestiality (I apologize if these questions are bothersome). I realize that it's a huge no-no at lush (understandably considering it's pretty much ), but I'm curious to know if sex between a human and a were-creature (ex: werewolf) would be acceptable? For example, the were-creature would be human-shaped but still have animal parts/features. Mentally, they'd be a mix of the two. Would that be OK?

Stories such as this would probably be dealt with case by case, as they are so rare. It sounds almost passable but I think the moderating team would have to have a look at the actual story (once written). Characters engaging in sexual activity must have human sex organs and human features.

Quote by Emerys
Or if, say, a shape-shifter shifted into an animal but had the full mind of human and non-penetrative sex (on anyone's part) occurred (example: a human-turned-wolf licking in between a woman's legs, but that's it)-- would that type of story be rejected? I only ask because I'm also considering writing an Alpha/Beta/Omega story and that's something I'd like to include. In my head the wolf will interrupt a woman masturbating, curiously "taste" her, and then shift to human so the actual sex can happen. It'll be entirely consensual and the shape-shifter will, as I mentioned, have the mind of a human, even in (brief) animal form. So: yay or nay?

My instinct would be no to the wolf licking between the legs. It's the kind of thing that would probably go to discussion but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't pass. Would have to change shape before anything sexual occurred.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by 1ball

Can that possibly be any squishier? I wrote a story within the guidelines and it seemed to me the guidelines were ignored and the story was excluded. There was no non-consensual sex. The only consensual sex for that character, after being 'taken' prior to giving consent and then given the freedom to leave, was masturbation by the character. She was undressed but also unmolested. I can't speak for other writers, but I'm not going to get my stories blessed before they're written. I'm going to try to write to the guidelines, but I'm not going to write boring crap just because a guideline might be ignored and a story might arbitrarily be excluded because it got too close to the edge.

I don't see how the rule is squishy. I didn't read your story, so I don't know the details of what you're talking about, but if you felt that your story wasn't handled as it should have been, you're always free to contact the verifier who read it, we're all reasonable people. If it really is passable, it would probably be re-read.

Also, the guidelines are there for a reason, I don't see the need for a story to contain any of the things that we don't allow. Speaking for myself, kidnapping is not a turn on.
Lurker
0 likes

I don't see how the rule is squishy. I didn't read your story, so I don't know the details of what you're talking about, but if you felt that your story wasn't handled as it should have been, you're always free to contact the verifier who read it, we're all reasonable people. If it really is passable, it would probably be re-read.

Also, the guidelines are there for a reason, I don't see the need for any of the things which we don't allow to be in stories. Speaking for myself, kidnapping is not a turn on.

Oh damnit winged-angel, I was gonna kidnap you for the day, thought we could spoon and eat ice cream and watch a movie........
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by summerjones

Oh damnit winged-angel, I was gonna kidnap you for the day, thought we could spoon and eat ice cream and watch a movie........

hmmm. .. depending on what type of ice-cream, I could be persuaded
0 likes
Quote by 1ball

Your story started off with your main character waking up naked in an unfamiliar room after being drugged against her knowledge, then it changed to her waking in the room naked after being hypnotised. To me both of these scenarios were against site guidelines. We were discussing this via PM then you ended up posting your revised story, which met the guidelines. I mistakenly assumed you were okay with everything. If you weren't I would have been more than happy to continue discussing it with you via PM.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

Also, the guidelines are there for a reason, I don't see the need for any of the things which we don't allow to be in stories. Speaking for myself, kidnapping is not a turn on.

What you're telling me is that the fact that the character was not molested and not forced to have sex doesn't matter. Any story where a character is rendered helpless, however temporarily and harmlessly, is forbidden. Should we throw out any plot where a character is arrested by police or rescued from a cult by deprogrammers or simply forced to show up where they will be given an important choice?

I contacted the verifiers. I wanted the main character to wake up in a serious jam with no foreknowledge of how she got there. To then be given a choice to cooperate or leave from a situation where there would be no , no molestation, no physical damage and no sex with another person. Shot down.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by 1ball

What you're telling me is that the fact that the character was not molested and not forced to have sex doesn't matter. Any story where a character is rendered helpless, however temporarily and harmlessly, is forbidden. Should we throw out any plot where a character is arrested by police or rescued from a cult by deprogrammers or simply forced to show up where they will be given an important choice?

I contacted the verifiers. I wanted the main character to wake up in a serious jam with no foreknowledge of how she got there. To then be given a choice to cooperate or leave from a situation where there would be no , no molestation, no physical damage and no sex with another person. Shot down.

From reading Lisa's post, you conveniently left out the fact that the character was drugged which is a direct violation of the rules. Considering the fact that you were privately discussing this with a senior moderator, I don't see the need to continue this discussion with people who don't know the facts about your story. After your situation is resolved, if there is a change in the guidelines, I'd be happy to read that, but for now, I think you'd be better off discussing this with someone who has full knowledge of all the details of your story as well as a concrete knowledge of the guidelines so that there are no misunderstandings.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes

From reading Lisa's post, you conveniently left out the fact that the character was drugged which is a direct violation of the rules. Considering the fact that you were privately discussing this with a senior moderator, I don't see the need to continue this discussion with people who don't know the facts about your story. After your situation is resolved, if there is a change in the guidelines, I'd be happy to read that, but for now, I think you'd be better off discussing this with someone who has full knowledge of all the details of your story as well as a concrete knowledge of the guidelines so that there are no misunderstandings.

I suppose I could have had her teleported in from a starship or stung by a giant spider and hauled in by orcs. Neither are excluded by the guidelines, but apparently my mistake here is that I thought the whole issue of non-consensual sex mattered. I've been corrected now. The discussion with the senior moderator was pretty much over when the only way to get the character to the room without totally trashing the story was to convince her to come there, which pretty much totally took the fun out of writing it.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Reading the posts, I agree that the guidelines are at best "soft", there is no clear list of no/yes in sexual behavior, frankly, all BDSM can be dangerous if the Dom. is an idiot. Unprotected sex is dangerous if one party has an STD....
Incest storoes are wildly popular, and allowed, even though the psychologiacl implications of such acts are WAY beyond "Dangerous".
I have had a few stories rejected, and been threatened with bahishment if I again break the rules, even though there are no apparent CLEAR rules for "Dangerous behavior". Why not a check list?

A type sex- no
B type sex-Yes,
Easy, No?

That way everyone is on the same page.
I know that the moderators try their best, but there does not seem to be even a uniform application of rules from one to another... rule by committee never works.

I would love to help come up with a cohesive list and set of rules, if I can assist.
Bobbi Jo
"When its too kinky for everybody else, its just gettin' good for me."
(Kinky Freedman)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Lustyrose4u
Reading the posts, I agree that the guidelines are at best "soft", there is no clear list of no/yes in sexual behavior, frankly, all BDSM can be dangerous if the Dom. is an idiot. Unprotected sex is dangerous if one party has an STD....
Incest storoes are wildly popular, and allowed, even though the psychologiacl implications of such acts are WAY beyond "Dangerous".
I have had a few stories rejected, and been threatened with bahishment if I again break the rules, even though there are no apparent CLEAR rules for "Dangerous behavior". Why not a check list?

A type sex- no
B type sex-Yes,
Easy, No?

That way everyone is on the same page.
I know that the moderators try their best, but there does not seem to be even a uniform application of rules from one to another... rule by committee never works.

I would love to help come up with a cohesive list and set of rules, if I can assist.
Bobbi Jo

These are the guidelines, expanded and explained quite comprehensively.

If there's something specific in there that you need further explained, you're always free to ask.
Lurker
0 likes

hmmm. .. depending on what type of ice-cream, I could be persuaded

Cookies n cream, with how about" How To Lose A Man In 10 Days", love that movie,,,, could possibly make some popcorn too
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by summerjones

Cookies n cream, with how about" How To Lose A Man In 10 Days", love that movie,,,, could possibly make some popcorn too

I'll be right over
Internet Philosopher
0 likes
When writing a reluctance or BDSM story, remember that what the characters are thinking is at least as important as what they are saying in dialog. Consent can be given with a thought and a subtle motion with of the body even while she is still saying no. A fantasy is far less likely to be pulled if she is being driven mad with lust in her thoughts, despite her cries and pleas to be freed.

It's all about the emotions you attempt to convey. If you are trying to build excitement through the use of dark fantasy and you show us how much she is aroused and secretly wants it, you likely won't have a problem. She still has to communicate it in some way to her attacker, but it can be quite subtle and she can still protest. As long as its arousal and excitement that she is feeling.

On the other hand, if your intent is to depict fear, terror, pain, duress or any other negative emotion that creates a feeling that she is feeling compelled by the possibility of death or bodily harm, then you are going to have a problem getting it verified. The intent of the guidelines is that stories are about arousal and pleasure, not fear and anger, and your concern as a writer should be to instill those emotions in the reader as part of the characters, journey, not at the expense of the the characters sanity and sense of self.