New recommendation symbol

last reply
154 replies
13.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I just noticed that the lovely recommended black medals are replaced by these blue V's
Uhm, my first association was to be back in high school to get an approved on an essay (no high grade just a sufficient summier approved), 2nd association is my To do or work checklist, though very efficient I am not a list fetishist!

Maybe it is done because of the resemblance of the editor's pick but I really think the black medal suits the style of the site better and is more appealing!
It was a symbol of specialty like a recommendation is intended, a V in my opinion is a symbol of according to standard, (good yes but not special). In addition it could imply that the other work is not.

There was probably a collective vote behind this and I don't want to go against that just giving my opinion but would it be possible to make it invisible on your profile page, to turn it off?

Btw love the other new features Gav! You know you rock
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Kiki
I just noticed that the lovely recommended black medals are replaced by these blue V's

Uhm, my first association was to be back in high school to get an approved on an essay (no high grade just a sufficient summier approved), 2nd association is my To do or work checklist, though very efficient I am not a list fetishist!

Maybe it is done because of the resemblance of the editor's pick but I really think the black medal suits the style of the site better and is more appealing!
It was a symbol of specialty like a recommendation is intended, a V in my opinion is a symbol of according to standard, (good yes but not special). In addition it could imply that the other work is not.

There was probably a collective vote behind this and I don't want to go against that just giving my opinion but would it be possible to make it invisible on your profile page, to turn it off?

Btw love the other new features Gav! You know you rock

it was based on a collective vote; it was discussed it for a long time before picking that particular symbol. As for turning it off? i don't know if that's an option, i am guessing no. btw, nothing is set in stone, and if, at some point, it's decided that it should be changed, it probably will - for now, tho, we like that one a lot. smile

oh, and it's a check, not a V - as in; check this one out, it's awesome. :)

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

oh, and it's a check, not a V - as in; check this one out, it's awesome. smile

LOL! Nice spin Sprite!

Yes I guessed the vote right! but am secretly hoping for Gav's magical trick to make it an option to hide from the profile page
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Kiki

LOL! Nice spin Sprite!

Yes I guessed the vote right! but am secretly hoping for Gav's magical trick to make it an option to hide from the profile page

hit him up, seriously - it might not go to the top of the list, but if it looks like it's something people want, i am sure it can be done - that said, not really sure there will be a huge surge of people feeling strongly about it? but then again, i could be wrong. smile

btw, that wasn't really spin, that truly was the intent. :)

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

btw, that wasn't really spin, that truly was the intent. smile

Oh I believe it was the intent :-)! Maybe it comes down to cultural differences then or taste. The medal I understood and invited me to read a story before I knew it was recommended or what the symbol meant by the standards of lush. The V amongst the other stories on the front page doesn't do that to me and gives me a different association. As I said before it is just an opinion. I am sure you all have looked at the other options and pros and cons, hence the question if I could hide it or else I would have suggested a new symbol ;-)

Sarcastic Coffee Aficionado
0 likes
Quote by Kiki

I agree with Kiki ... the blue check mark doesn't appear to be part of this site (perhaps the other site). I much rather see the temporary RR symbol to this one. It looked classier and more fitting to Lush.

Thanks Gav, for all your work!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
btw, the thumbs up symbol was rejected for it's similarity to face book.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

yeah that makes sense, I love that this site, unlike some similar sites, is soooo NOT a facebook clone! But I agree that the medal was much classier!
Lurker
0 likes
BTW, who gives the stories these badges?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by BablingBrooke

yeah that makes sense, I love that this site, unlike some similar sites, is soooo NOT a facebook clone! But I agree that the medal was much classier!

as i said, nothing's set in stone (Nic is going to kill me for this, btw, just so you guys know) smile

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by BablingBrooke
BTW, who gives the stories these badges?

the story mods do. unlike the EP, which are nominated by a story mod and then given to a committee to vote on, the Recommended stories can be handed out by a single mod. it's as simple as this, if one of us reads something that we think is top notch, we can hand it out - btw, it's possible for a story to then be nominated as an EP, but even if it isn't awarded one, it will still keep it's recommended award. oh, and since it's new, it is retroactive - we're all kind of combing thru older stories occasionally and handing them out to stuff that might have been passed over in the past. smile

this is nice for us - i've been able to hand out some for writers who've gone somewhat unrecognized but are deserving - one of the stories i gave one to had a total of 4 votes and i think it's an amazing piece. hopefully, this encourages lesser known writers to keep at it and gives the readers a chance to discover some over looked gems. :)

Lurker
0 likes
Thats neat! Thanks for the explanation!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite
as i said, nothing's set in stone (Nic is going to kill me for this, btw, just so you guys know) smile

Hope she does it quickly and relatively painlessly then ;) I was just adding my 2cents hopefully i'll be spared the wrath!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Kiki

Oh I believe it was the intent :-)! Maybe it comes down to cultural differences then or taste. The medal I understood and invited me to read a story before I knew it was recommended or what the symbol meant by the standards of lush. The V amongst the other stories on the front page doesn't do that to me and gives me a different association. As I said before it is just an opinion. I am sure you all have looked at the other options and pros and cons, hence the question if I could hide it or else I would have suggested a new symbol ;-)

there are actually about a dozen or so designs that we discussed, and each one had a few variations, such as color, shading, shape, etc - also, to give credit, our very own Liz designed all of them. ones, like the thumbs up, were thrown out immediately for the reasons mentioned. some clashed with the color scheme of the site (i was really pushing hot pink, personally) and some were just not quite what people had in mind. there is actually a version of the check/v that is looks like it's on a little flag, not unlike the medal you saw before, that i thought looked nice as well. there was also a star at one point, but it looked a bit 'military' and a 'lip imprint that i thought was a bit tacky, to be honest... btw, i just had another idea... (did i mention Nic was going to kill me already?) smile

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by BablingBrooke

Hope she does it quickly and relatively painlessly then ;) I was just adding my 2cents hopefully i'll be spared the wrath!

it's never quick and painless - it usually involves hard labor and denied orgasms and believe me when i say, if i'm going down, i'm taking people with me, Brooke.

Lurker
0 likes
Quote by BablingBrooke

HAvent read the whole thread, but that medal star thing, reminded me too much of a communism..it is a medal, a star and a gray color (non appealing color) three strong indicators, giggle. So I am strongly suporting new symbol smile it makes sense, it is a check and goes so much better with the site than that communist medal. Please tell me I am not the only one seeing communism in that symbol!
Matriarch
0 likes
I wanted to use this symbol, everyone knows what a thumbs up means, and I don't care if FB think they own it. It's universally understood, and they can't copyright a hand action (behave!):

The check reminds me of school too.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thumbs Up looks good! I'm easy.......whatever it looks like, I'm sure all us scribblers will aspire to one.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by nicola
I wanted to use this symbol, everyone knows what a thumbs up means, and I don't care if FB think they own it. It's universally understood, and they can't copyright a hand action (behave!):

The check reminds me of school too.

oh, yeah, throw me to the wolves, that's right. yeah, that's my new job description: sacrificial lamb.

Matriarch
0 likes
Quote by sprite
oh, yeah, throw me to the wolves, that's right. yeah, that's my new job description: sacrificial lamb.

Lamb is my favourite meat, when cooked properly:

Mazztastic
0 likes
Oh, I think it's horrible... My first thought was Wth?

I preferred the black badge too.

The giant blue tick looks childish, clunky and totally out of place... Sorry, it's too big and jarring - in my opinion and eclipses the ep badge too.

I agree that a thumbs up would have been better or an open book icon or something or why not even a smaller, different coloured rosette, keeping it in style with the ep badge in place?
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Liz
Can you eat a vegetarian?

yes... if you prepare them properly ;)

Gingerbread Lover
0 likes
I absolutely hate the tick, for reasons already mentioned. I love stars, and I loved the medal version. But I would willingly accept the thumb (Oo-er) over that tick any day.

I am very proud to have been awarded those badges, but a tick? "Meh, it's okay. It'll pass."
Ut incepit fidelis, sic permanet.

********************************CLICK THE BANNERS TO BUY THESE WILLY-STIFFENING BOOKS!********************************
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by sprite

O my dear sacrificial lamb lol, I know about the messenger

Btw that was the first I picked there are without thumbs up too

I agree with Nic and Shylass about the thumbs up, clearly this is no facebook and the symbol is self explanatory! The blue does remind me of Twitter or FB though so I'd suggest red or black or grey or something more in style with Lush's gui...

Btw Thumbs up ;-) for Liz for designing them !
Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
Hi folks,

Thought I would say a few words, as it appears a certain person has dropped me in it *makes eyes at Sprite*

Firstly, the thumbs-up thing was a talking point. It was decided that it might make the site look a little too 'social network'; it also gave the impression to some that it was a new FB integration feature whereby you could click it and post the story link on your FB page.

Medals and stars were rejected as either being too militaristic or for the communism association.

The rosette is a nice icon but the Recommended Read badge it was decided, needed to be completely different in order to differentiate it. Different colours or shapes gave the impression of 'grading' i.e. 1st place, 2nd place etc.

Although the brightly coloured 'Recommended' badges look quite nice (thanks for the examples, Kiki), look what happens when they are sized down to where they need to be:

You also need to take into account any associated copyrights or usage restrictions of pre-made artwork in commercial and non-commercial applications.

We thought the tick was quite good as a universal symbol of approval (you should have seen some of the ones that never made it to the light of day!), but we are playing with a few more ideas in the meantime.

I would like to point out that this was mulled over at length before Gav swapped them over; and clearly quite a lot of thought goes into decisions like this before they are implemented.

As the saying goes, 'stay tuned'.

Have a lovely day!

Liz x
Lurker
0 likes
If I may add, I am all for simplicity -- check for recommendation read, is lovely!

As far as I see it, this site has three strong colours (red, yellow and blue) beside black and white and personally I think no new colours need to be added. That being said, I would like to see how would look yellow check in blue square..it would go perfectly with yellow ribbon but still you could tell that the story is 'less quality' than editors pick, but recommended for a read..

when star medall was up, I truthfuly didn't know is it more than editors pick? less? but then there was grey colour so it must be less, but it is still medal..with new check is easy, you got some kind off approval, but not the higest recognition. I think readers could go easy with that, specially if check would be yellow, easly associated to ribbon.
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by Liz

Thought I would say a few words, as it appears a certain person has dropped me in it *makes eyes at Sprite*

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I think the two awards should complement each other
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by steffanie
I think the two awards should complement each other

Like lol! No serious I think it looks great!