Join the best erotica focused adult social network now
Login

Do you think it is possible to have more than one best friend?

last reply
63 replies
5.0k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Lurker
0 likes
I'm of the opinion that you cannot truly have best friendS. Saying that might make you feel better not having to choose between friends or avoid hurting some feelings, but I think the label of "best friend" can only belong to one individual at a time. I know lots of people disagree with me on this but I respectfully ask what is your take on this? Thanks in advance. And please excuse any typos, I am rather tired.
Head Penguin
0 likes
By definition, you're best friend is one person.

I have one best friend and lots of very close friends, but one in particular will always be the one I can talk to about anything.

I'm not counting my gf in this, as she's more of a soul mate, which is something else.

A First Class Service Ch.5

A steamy lesbian three way

Lurker
0 likes
I completly agree! Yet for some reason I always end up in the minority on this, idk why.
Clumeleon
0 likes
So, you actually believe that one of your friends is "better" than all the others, i.e., the "best"?

I see no literary contradiction in saying "best friends"—it simply refers to that group of people who are deemed superior rather than the individual.

Could I single out one of my friends as being the "best"? If I had to, probably. The great thing is, I don't have to. I have lots of friends who are my friends for different reasons. They often represent a particular aspect or period of my life (university, childhood, religion, etc.) and so are actually not comparable, if we're talking about quantifying how "good" a friend someone is.

Save yourself some hassle: be your own best friend.
Lurker
0 likes
For me, I have friends that are "better" for certain things than other friends. Overall, I have probably 2 really good friends that I could honestly say one of them is my best friend, but I have no reason to do that. I also have friends that are my best from my childhood or from summer camp when I was younger, and I could never forget them. I think you can only have one best friend, but I think they can easily change depending on circumstances. I hope that makes sense!
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
i refuse to choose. i have several besties, and i love them all equally. my wife is my soul mate, but amongst my friends, i don't have any sort of rating in place - if anyone were to make me commit to something like that, it would be purely for their own ego and insecurity. i certainly would never expect the same.

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Scarlet Seductress
0 likes
I'm with Clum and Sprite on this one.
Be a friend and always be the best friend you can be. If everyone did the same there would be no such thing as 'best friends'.
A friend is a friend, is a friend.
Head Penguin
0 likes
In light of other replies, I think I should qualify what I said in my original reply. I wasn't suggesting that I make value judgments from one friend to another. I love all my friends.

I think my situation is a bit unusual because so many of my friends since college have been lovers to one extent or another.

I suppose I was also drawing attention to a certain semantic anomaly in the question. That was probably my inner geek. I was in a weird mood last night.

Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by DanielleX
In light of other replies, I think I should qualify what I said in my original reply. I wasn't suggesting that I make value judgments from one friend to another. I love all my friends.

I think my situation is a bit unusual because so many of my friends since college have been lovers to one extent or another.

I suppose I was also drawing attention to a certain semantic anomaly in the question. That was probably my inner geek. I was in a weird mood last night.

too late, Danielle, we've already judged you - let us bask for a moment in our superiority, until you come along with your awesomeness again and steal the show. *giggles and hugs*

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
Hell at the moment I can't keep one much less have more than one that I would consider "best friend"
Head Penguin
0 likes
Quote by sprite

too late, Danielle, we've already judged you - let us bask for a moment in our superiority, until you come along with your awesomeness again and steal the show. *giggles and hugs*

Awww Rachel, I've gone all fuzzily now. Thank you your Spriteliness *blows kiss*

Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Lets see, GOOD -BETTER- BEST (Webster messed up he should have included )- BESTEST.
I'm blessed in that I have good friends, But among those I feel a lot closer to three, than I do with the others Yet they are all Good friends..

" To Have friends one must show Them selves --------"
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I have a handful of close friends who I adore and love.
In saying that, I do have one friend who I just click with. She is the one I know I can always turn to, who will always be there, the one I always think of first when I need to talk. So yes, in my heart of hearts I have a best friend, but that doesn't diminish my other friendships, it just makes me very lucky.
Lurker
0 likes
To my mind, saying that you can ONLY have "one best friend at a time" is like saying that it's only possible to LOVE only one man and or woman at a time; and I for one KNOW better (on both accounts) at least for myself. The way I see it, BOTH situations are an individual matter, and NO ONE else can decide what YOU are capable of, only you yourself can make THAT determination. At one and the same time I HAVE been able to LOVE (if not make love to due to THEIR hang ups and needless insecurities) more than one woman at a time AND have had MORE than one friend I felt was like a brother to me, in that either of us would "be there" for the other without being asked!
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
I do not know, but my wife has some very good friends. one for 35 years. sex with them is a must.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes

I guess the definition of a BFF is a bit vague to me. I have some very good friends that I wouldn't tell some things to. While I have others that I would, but not confide what I told the other. Each friend uniquely my best friend.
"Them ain't no militia, that's the Army of the Potomac!"
Lurker
0 likes
I think u have to define the term "best friend".. different people might have different opinions of what exactly constitutes a "best friend"..
for myself .. if u mean someone who u trust implicitly.. who u would confide yr deepest secrets in [and do] and expect.. rather know .. they would be kept.. even though they might seriously disagree with u..
someone who is there for u day in day out.. but not necessarily someone who shares yr bed... someone u go to to discuss problems openly and frankly knowing u won't be judged..
then yes .. I believe it is possible to have more than one..

I have five gfs who would fit such a description.. all of whom have proved themselves so.. and strange as it may seem.. given my sexual preference.. I also have four men I would so describe..
perhaps my definition is too loose...
but I would trust these people with my life..
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
The concept of a singular friend who you feel is the best of your friends seems odd to me, I have lots of friends who I like for various reasons, I don't however have a best friend.

Sure a lot of folks may have that one friend who they are way closer with than anyone else, but I don't really think the concept of a BFF applies to everyone.
0 likes
Technically no by definition, but you can have two equally best friends though.
Lurker
0 likes
I think I have to agree with one person here. I think you have one best friend that you tell your darkest secrets too. But you also have close friends.
0 likes
Eh. I think so, but It really depends on your definition of the word "best", doesn't it?
Recommended Reads by TheScheherezadeFeint:
Undeniable - Erotic Poem
Disappearing Act - Love Poem
Synthetic Hours - Fantasy/Sci-fi - Eighth Place, 'Some Like It Hot' competition, January 2015
Night Work - Erotic Poem
Eating Breakfast In Glass Slippers - Straight Sex - Fifth Place, 'The Morning After The Night Before' competition, November 2014
Miracle of Night - Love Poem
The Brightest Black You've Ever Seen - Love Story - Ninth place, 'Toy With Me' competition, September 2014
Scream Fire - Erotic Poem - Audio read by MadameMolly
At First Sight (He) - Quickie Sex
Lurker
0 likes
I see that you can. I have group I always hang out with. It is a rare when we do anything without everybody together.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Not in High school anymore.... Any friendship should be at its best
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Yes There has been Times Where I have had more than One... Best Friend... But My Best Friend I have Now... Is Also the One I have had The Longest As My Friend....
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Well I have a male best friend whom I've know since grade school who knows everything going on in my life, but also have a female best friend with knowledge of the last 31 years. Granted she is a ex of mine , but has known and kept many secrets of mine. Have made a new friend who knows a great deal of what the other 2 know. So yes I think you can have more than one.
Lurker
0 likes
I don't usually use the term anymore but I have a very close friend from childhood, two friends from adulthood and probably one that I lean on the most. But I can't say one is better than the other because we do different things together, have our own dynamics and I wouldn't be close to them if they weren't incredible people. Then there is another tier of simply friends that we get together or I see them at work but we don't confide in each other. I usually use the term my closest friends or my close friend but not best. I think you can have several close friends at a time.
Lurker
0 likes
Best friends, are two words not taken lightly. I have several good friends that I see on a routine basis and many acquaintances that frequent my bookshop. One knows a best friend when one has one. I do, and he is like a brother to me, because I know him and he knows me.obdfNsjBZ32AErPx
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Best is subjective to me.
I have 5 friends with benefits. All 5 have their special aspects. Each is best or better at one thing than another, lets say. The girl I share my aprtment and bed with is certainly the one we share the benefits together with most of all but we are not 'best' friends, we all tend to be equal.. The others all visit regularly and sleep over wnen its convenient. There is no preference given when we are together.
We have been friends for over a year and have shared many different aspects of life without fear or favor.
Lurker
0 likes
I believe you can have only one best and then some close friend... My best knows everything about me and my close friends dont.. I just never feel the need to tell then all my secrets, dirt and desires. Where as with Mary, we get to the nitty gritty!
Lurker
0 likes
I believe you can have only one best and then some close friends... My bestie knows everything about me and my close friends dont.. I just never feel the need to tell then all my secrets, dirt and desires. Where as with Mary, we get to the nitty gritty!