Are we getting too old??

last reply
41 replies
3.9k views
0 watchers
0 likes
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Is it just me or should I just bang my head against the wall repeatedly until it all makes sense?

ONE
Recently, when I went to McDonald's I saw on the menu that you could have an order of 6, 9 or 12 Chicken McNuggets.
I asked for a half dozen nuggets.

'We don't have half dozen nuggets,' said the teenager at the counter.
'You don't?' I replied.
'We only have six, nine, or twelve,' was the reply.
'So I can't order a half dozen nuggets, but I can order six?'
'That's right.'

So I shook my head and ordered six McNuggets
(Unbelievable but sadly true...)
(Must have been the same one I asked for sweetener, and she said they didn't have any, only Splenda and sugar.)

TWO
I was checking out at the local Wal-Mart with just a few items and the lady behind me put her things on the belt close to mine. I picked up one of those 'dividers' that they keep by the cash register and placed it between our things so they wouldn't get mixed.
After the girl had scanned all of my items, she picked up the 'divider', looking it all over for the bar code so she could scan it.
Not finding the bar code, she said to me, 'Do you know how much this is?'
I said to her 'I've changed my mind; I don't think I'll buy that today.'
She said 'OK,' and I paid her for the things and left.
She had no clue to what had just happened.

(But the lady behind me had a big smirk on her face as I left)

THREE
A woman at work was seen putting a credit card into her floppy drive and pulling it out very quickly.
When I inquired as to what she was doing, she said she was shopping on the Internet and they kept asking for a credit card number, so she was using the ATM 'thingy'.

(Keep shuddering!!)

FOUR
I recently saw a distraught young lady weeping beside her car.
'Do you need some help?' I asked.
She replied, 'I knew I should have replaced the battery to this remote door unlocker. Now I can't get into my car. Do you think they (pointing to a distant convenience store) would have a battery to fit this?'
'Hmmm, I don't know. Do you have an alarm, too?' I asked.
'No, just this remote thingy,' she answered, handing it and the car keys to me.
As I took the key and manually unlocked the door, I replied,
'Why don't you drive over there and check about the batteries. It's a long walk....'

PLEASE just lay down before you hurt yourself !!!

FIVE
Several years ago, we had an Intern who was none too swift. One day she was typing and turned to a secretary and said, 'I'm almost out of typing paper. What do I do?' 'Just use paper from the photocopier', the secretary told her. With that, the intern took her last remaining blank piece of paper, put it on the photocopier and proceeded to make five 'blank' copies.

SIX
A mother calls 911 very worried asking the dispatcher if she needs to take her kid to the emergency room, the kid had eaten ants. The dispatcher tells her to give the kid some Benadryl and he should be fine.
The mother says, 'Oh... I just gave him some ant killer...'
Dispatcher: 'Rush him in to emergency right away'

*DISCLAIMER* I copied this from an email. I have no idea if it's all true or not, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I blame Facebook and American Idol..................But then again I blame them for everything, LOL!!
Clumeleon
0 likes
Oi vey.

Although the title of this thread isn't very apt. I'm old at heart but actually quite a young buck, all things considered. These people are idiots no matter how old you are.

At my recent interview to enter teacher training, we got into a conversation about the supposedly slipping standards of education. I said I really hoped that wasn't the case but with evidence like this... As a future maths teacher, you can rest assured that all my students will know that 6 = half a dozen.
Clever Gem
0 likes
Quote by clum
Oi vey.

Although the title of this thread isn't very apt. I'm old at heart but actually quite a young buck, all things considered. These people are idiots no matter how old you are.

At my recent interview to enter teacher training, we got into a conversation about the supposedly slipping standards of education. I said I really hoped that wasn't the case but with evidence like this... As a future maths teacher, you can rest assured that all my students will know that 6 = half a dozen.

What about a baker's dozen??
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
After reading this, I can't help but be reminded of the movie Idiocracy. The concept behind the film is that society is in a path of de-evolution; basically, the population just keeps getting stupider and stupider until we're unable to complete basic tasks. Examples in the movie included hospitals using a graphic user interface to diagnose symptoms (the man with stars by his head has a headache. etc.), the Oscar winner for Best Screenwriting is Ass, a 90-minute film of nothing but an ass.

These examples are proof that the Idiocracy is on the way here.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Not me. I'm still so young
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
CRAZY DIAMOND; Asked"What about a Bakers dozen?' Consider this; which is heavier A pound of feathers or a pound of gold? ( is the TROY Weight scale still being used?)
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It's when you're introduced to someone new, and you can clearly remember what the Summer was like in the year they were born.

or

When you want to 'Mother' the 'nice young policeman' and your 'very clever young doctor.'

But, ...... in reality - we only 'get old' when we stop having fun. I'm not old!
Lurker
0 likes
I'm confused... is this funny or just extreamely sad? A few months ago I would have laughed about this for hours, but I've been given a college intern to work with this term and she is dumb as a box of rocks with absolutely zero work ethic. This person is in the third year of engineering school and I swear I can picture her as the McDonald person.

Does it mean we're getting old for expecting just a tad of intelligence from those around us? I don't think so. I've thought about this (with the help of my kids) when it comes to txt spk, which I hate with a passion. Maybe I am getting a little old. Sigh.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Thank heavens for still having fun.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Quote by LOVES4PLAY
CRAZY DIAMOND; Asked"What about a Bakers dozen?' Consider this; which is heavier A pound of feathers or a pound of gold? ( is the TROY Weight scale still being used?)

Sorry but a Troy ounce is defined as one tenth of a pound. There is no such thing as a Troy pound.

A pound is a pound the world 'round.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
I knew I was getting too old when my adult son asked me about a "really old" car he saw. When I looked it was just like one I bought new so many years ago.
Advanced Wordsmith
0 likes
I've tried banging my head against a wall. It doesn't make sense either.
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
Worked in retail for many years and these are not isolated instances gives real hope for the future
Lurker
0 likes
Bang!!!

"Ignorant with style." That about sums it up.
Lurker
0 likes

No...
Her Royal Spriteness
0 likes
Quote by crazydiamond

What about a baker's dozen??

which brings me to my question... how many is a baker's half dozen? smile

You can’t truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of violence. If you’re not capable of violence, you’re not peaceful. You’re harmless.

Lurker
0 likes
6, and one to share with a guest.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by swollen
It's when you're introduced to someone new, and you can clearly remember what the Summer was like in the year they were born.

or

When you want to 'Mother' the 'nice young policeman' and your 'very clever young doctor.'

But, ...... in reality - we only 'get old' when we stop having fun. I'm not old!

"I may grow old, but I refuse to grow up"
Raised on Blackroot
0 likes
I feel old and I'm only 24.

But I'll always be a kid at heart.
Lurker
0 likes
It really depends on you and what you think is old. I feel old with a hip replacement and all and I am only 22
Active Ink Slinger
0 likes
It is pretty scary indeed to think that these are probably the people who will be changing my diapers and feeding me my pureed meals....

Though, I have a girl friend who when her remote for her cable box malfunctioned and she was told to change the channels manually, she had to ask how to do it...the technician told her to stand up and walk over to the cable box and turn the dial...She is the same age as I am! Yikes!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by buttercup2u
It is pretty scary indeed to think that these are probably the people who will be changing my diapers and feeding me my pureed meals....

Though, I have a girl friend who when her remote for her cable box malfunctioned and she was told to change the channels manually, she had to ask how to do it...the technician told her to stand up and walk over to the cable box and turn the dial...She is the same age as I am! Yikes!
What the heck!!
Lurker
0 likes
Cracked me up! smile Not getting too old.. some people are just being spoonfed in life I guess, and the technology is not helping it either. Not that technology is though :)
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Strangerlyd

No...

Einstein really said that? He had a very advance mind indeed.
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by freesoul
Einstein really said that? He had a very advance mind indeed.

It is Amazing, Go Google Albert Einstein Quotes, Truely amazing...

You don't get old, only wiser and yet so much to learn everyday.
Rookie Scribe
0 likes
We are as old as we feel ! somedays that might be twenty-five other days Nine-five!
Lurker
0 likes
Quote by Strangerlyd

It is Amazing, Go Google Albert Einstein Quotes, Truely amazing...

You don't get old, only wiser and yet so much to learn everyday.

I did and I also found this one teehee biggrin (and I so agree with you about getting wiser, I do hope the people in the anecdotes get wiser too lol)